LeBron James Blasts Charles Barkley, Tired Of 'Biting Tongue'

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

LeBron James Blasts Charles Barkley, Tired Of 'Biting Tongue' 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:14 pm

LeBron James has heard enough criticism from Charles Barkley and spoke out against the Hall of Famer and longtime TNT commentator.

"He's a hater," James told said. "What makes what he says credible? Because he's on TV?"

"Inappropriate. Whiny. All of the above," Barkley said of James last week. "The Cleveland Cavaliers, they have given him everything he wanted. They have the highest payroll in NBA history. He wanted J.R. Smith last summer, they paid him. He wanted [Iman] Shumpert last summer. They brought in Kyle Korver. He's the best player in the world. Does he want all of the good players? He don't want to compete? He is an amazing player. They're the defending champs."

James initially took the high road when asked about Barkley's recent comments, saying they were "good for the ratings," while defending his competitive spirit.

After ESPN followed up with a story asking Tristan Thompson for his thoughts on Barkley's comments, James chose to speak out again in ardent fashion.

"I'm not going to let him disrespect my legacy like that," James told ESPN. "I'm not the one who threw somebody through a window. I never spit on a kid. I never had unpaid debt in Las Vegas. I never said, 'I'm not a role model.' I never showed up to All-Star Weekend on Sunday because I was in Vegas all weekend partying.

"All I've done for my entire career is represent the NBA the right way. Fourteen years, never got in trouble. Respected the game. Print that."

James' friendships with Dwyane Wade, Chris Paul and Carmelo Anthony have been called into question, but he pointed out how Barkley remained friendly with Michael Jordan even during the Finals.

"Go watch the '93 Finals when John Paxson hit the shot," James said. "Barkley and Jordan were laughing and joking with each other during one of the games while somebody's shooting a free throw. In the Finals. But, oh, nobody were friends back then."

James also seemed to suggest Barkley continues to remain on TV for strictly financial reasons.

"I know he wanted to retire a long time ago, but he can't," James said. "He's stuck up on that stage every week."

James then issued a challenge, of sorts.

"And if this makes him want to talk to me, the schedule's out there," James said. "He knows every road arena I'll be in. Don't just come up to me at All-Star and shake my hand and smile."

James also talked about the perception that he's running the Cavaliers.

"I collect one paycheck from this," James said of his role with the Cavs. "There's the owner, Griff's [David Griffin] the GM, I'm the player. Screw Charles Barkley."

James put on his baseball cap and offered a parting thought as he prepared to leave the visitors locker room at the American Airlines Center to head to the airport for a flight back to Cleveland.

"I'm tired of biting my tongue," James said. "There's a new sheriff in town."

Via Dave McMenamin/ESPN

Arp590
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,989

Re: LeBron James Blasts Charles Barkley, Tired Of 'Biting Tongue' 

Post#2 » by Arp590 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:24 pm

DANG Lebron went hard! About time someone called Barkley out.
Furinkazan
General Manager
And1: 3,534

Post#3 » by Furinkazan » Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:36 pm

lagacy of narcissism
T-Rob
Magic Forum Mock Draft Co-Champ
And1: 58

Post#4 » by T-Rob » Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:37 pm

Arp590 wrote:DANG Lebron went hard! About time someone called Barkley out.

Lebron is fantastic off the court in how he carries himself but in this case Charles wasn't wrong.
Donnyxc
Starter
And1: 247

Post#5 » by Donnyxc » Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:57 pm

Soft. Tired of biting your tongue? It's called being a professional. You get paid millions of dollars and as a sacrifice your public image is always going to be questioned. He shouldn't worry himself with what Charles Barkley or anyone in the media says about him.

Charles has been talking his mouth off for years. Nothing has changed.
"If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save a game I'd choose Michael Jordan; If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save my life...I'd take Larry Bird." - Pat Riley
hyberx
Starter
And1: 384

Post#6 » by hyberx » Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:06 pm

Umm, Bron, are you sure those frequent flopping, whining, traveling do represent NBA the right way? :roll: Not to mention you could hang onto and swing at the rim for a good minute without being called a tech.

Please Dan, get Bron his pacifier... umm, play maker, already.
Bentley1225
RealGM
And1: 1,562

Post#7 » by Bentley1225 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:17 pm

I don't think Barkley is questioning his legacy. I think the point is management has done everything it can to build and maintain a championship calibre team in Cleveland. Asking for yet another piece, a playmaker, when the club is 1st in the Eastern Conference lacks patience, understanding and respect for the Cleveland front office. You don't hear Kawhi Leonard asking RC Buford to get a big man to replace the injured Gasol or Isiah Thomas asking Danny Ainge to do something with all the draft picks they have.
LeMasta
Veteran
And1: 2,194

Post#8 » by LeMasta » Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:23 pm

Barkley says crazy **** all the time but I can at least agree with him on here along with Kenny.
Hoopzilla
Starter
And1: 520

Post#9 » by Hoopzilla » Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:26 pm

So Lebron agrees that he is a whiner and Charles was right. All of Lebron's venom referred to Charles' off court issues. Lebron can't argue anything else because he is a whiner that wants titles gifted to him so he wants to stack his team instead of going out there and earning it like a man.
MegaK
Bench Warmer
And1: 133

Post#10 » by MegaK » Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:30 pm

He's completely right about Barkley. Barkley underachieved in his time in the NBA and was partying all the time. Hilarious that he has anything negative to say about Lebron when Lebron over achieved during his time in the NBA and is the most powerful NBA player on and off the court. Barkley should be taking notes from Lebron and stop criticizing his greatness. Lastly, I'll never look at a team from an owners perspective. Owners make ridiculous amounts of money on Basketball especially the CAVs who basically live in the Finals every year. If Lebron thinks the CAVS need another play maker (which they do), then listen to the man. He knows what he is doing and shouldn't be close to leading the NBA in minutes. The dude is in his 14th Season, give the guy a break. He's not asking for another all star, just someone to run the offense so he doesn't have to lead the league in minutes. I don't think that is too much to ask for especially because they have a roster spot open.
pjiggz
Junior
And1: 25

Post#11 » by pjiggz » Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:34 pm

I like this Lebron a lot better. No need to play Mr Nice Guy anymore. Rip the haters.
pjiggz
Junior

Post#12 » by pjiggz » Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:39 pm

hyberx wrote:Umm, Bron, are you sure those frequent flopping, whining, traveling do represent NBA the right way? :roll: Not to mention you could hang onto and swing at the rim for a good minute without being called a tech.

Please Dan, get Bron his pacifier... umm, play maker, already.

Sadly flopping has become a part of winning. He didnt invent it, he accepeted it. The Spurs were notorious floppers when they were winning chips year to year. Manu flopped more than he took FGs. And then when Lebron went to Miami, thats where he truly learned the art of flopping from Wade, who lived at the FT line.
GaaBaaBoo
Senior
And1: 50

Post#13 » by GaaBaaBoo » Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:44 pm

"Barkley and Jordan were laughing and joking with each other during one of the games..."

So? Barkley didn't join the Bulls.
DoubleO8
Rookie
And1: 308

Post#14 » by DoubleO8 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:49 pm

I just can't get over new sheriff in town lmao. You sound like a white guy LBJ lmao
pjiggz
Junior

Post#15 » by pjiggz » Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:11 pm

GaaBaaBoo wrote:"Barkley and Jordan were laughing and joking with each other during one of the games..."

So? Barkley didn't join the Bulls.

Bulls had Rodman who was the prefect piece for what they needed. They couldve cared less about barkely.

And back then players didnt move around as much, so no teams ever drastically imrpoved season after seaon.
Bulls were already dominant and didnt need to keep up with any team, so why try to fix something thats not broken?
thamadkant
Suns Forum Picker of Cherries
And1: 7,771

Post#16 » by thamadkant » Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:16 pm

I like this Lebron lol. Feisty.

But Barkley has a point that Lebron is too demanding of the FO.

But we all know why... He wants to beat Warriors super-4 and further add to his legacy.

Lebron should have pushed to keep Matt Delavedova... He was perfect for them and what they need.

Barkley indeed partied a bit much and under achieved in his career. Lebron has a point there but what Barkley is saying is also true.

If Lebron just kept his demands off the media this wouldnt be a big deal.

This is super super steam mantra that Cavs and Warriors have is another reason why MJ is GOAT imo... I saw him dominate and want to beat the best with what he has... He didnt push to add stars next to him... He wanted to beat them... Granted that MJ had a perfect co star in Pippen and role players next to them.
streets talking
Senior
And1: 31

Post#17 » by streets talking » Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:29 pm

charles barkley never had no shoe deals so idk why he even bother barking!
greenmaker
Sophomore
And1: 7

Post#18 » by greenmaker » Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:41 pm

You both should stop... it's making me feel schizophrenic. I agree with Barkley but I also agree with LBJ to the same degree... How the fu** is that possible?? :-?
MaseInYourFace
RealGM
And1: 11,272

Post#19 » by MaseInYourFace » Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:55 pm

Damn tell us how you really feel Bron! Lol, he was holding that in for a while huh?
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
Bench: S. Milton, F. Korkmaz, K. Bazemore, D. Oturu, J. McDaniels, A. Caruso, T. Mann
IR: X. Tillman Sr., J. Nwora, E. Hughes,
RaptorRed
Rookie
And1: 472

Post#20 » by RaptorRed » Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:09 pm

Lol funny stuff.. this article also fails to mention the jab he took at Phil Jackson
"We're like Tim Duncan and David Robinson," Villanueva said, following the team's morning shootaround at the America West Arena. "But a younger version. I really feel that."

Return to Wiretap Discussion