Clippers, Thunder Interested In Wilson Chandler

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

Clippers, Thunder Interested In Wilson Chandler 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:13 pm

The Los Angeles Clippers and Oklahoma City Thunder both have interest in trading for Wilson Chandler of the Denver Nuggets.

Both the Clippers and Thunder have limited assets to offer though they'd like to be buyers at the deadline.

The Thunder had interest previously in trading for Rudy Gay before his season-ending injury.

Chandler is a versatile veteran player that can play either forward position.

Via Adrian Wojnarowski/The Vertical

eathb_au
Analyst
And1: 1,115

Re: Clippers, Thunder Interested In Wilson Chandler 

Post#2 » by eathb_au » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:08 pm

Talk about two teams with jack **** to offer.
BillSimmonsESPN
Ballboy
And1: 4

Post#3 » by BillSimmonsESPN » Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:14 pm

A couple ideas on how the Thunder possibly make this work:
1) Singler and Roberson for Chandler. Singler (who in many ways is a Wilson Chandler lite) sucks, but Roberson brings something to the table for a team like Denver who could use his defense and he wouldn't take anything away from the development of the younger guys. Plus, they've got the room to resign him and that would commit them to building around Jokic.
2) Payne, Singler and Roberson for Chandler and Mike Miller. Get's OKC a little breathing room come the offseason due to Miller's contract (and we all know they are cheap), plus Payne can keep Denver good and young. I don't really see where he'd fit in on their team, but they seem... less than satisfied with Mudiay and it would again allow them to build around Jokic. Still, if I'm the Thunder I'm going to ask for someone like Jameer back instead of Miller because, let's be honest, the corpse of Jameer Nelson could at least bring something to this second unit.

I'm a Thunder fan so this may be totally absurd and I may undervalue Chandler for the Nuggets but I really do think Roberson fills some holes for them and I don't really look forward to maxing him this summer when I see Oladipo as far more competent offensively and just as defensively stout on 1s and 2s. We may miss his D on threes, but he's not what he's hyped up to be there either and Grant is actually semi-competent.
Cipoteman
Junior
And1: 226

Post#4 » by Cipoteman » Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:27 pm

BillSimmonsESPN wrote:A couple ideas on how the Thunder possibly make this work:
1) Singler and Roberson for Chandler
(...)
2) Payne, Singler and Roberson for Chandler and Mike Miller
(...)

I'm a Thunder fan
so this may be totally absurd and I may undervalue Chandler for the Nuggets.

Sure, you didn't need to swear that you're a Thunder fan. The 1st proposal :crazy: would possibly be in the Hall of Fame of silly trades in case it happened and the 2nd, while Payne's potential might make it a little bit more appealing, I still find it a 1st round pick away to make it attractive taking into account that A) He doesn't bring to the table anything new to the Nuggets' roster, B) The Nuggets are currenty 8th in the West and might surprisingly make the playoffs, with Chandler's play being key and C) Singler's contract with 4 years at 5 million/each is absurd :noway:
Scalabrine
RealGM
And1: 7,319

Post#5 » by Scalabrine » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:12 am

I love how the Clippers keep coming up in trade rumors yet they appear unwilling to trade Blake, CP, or Jordan. They have nothing else to offer. Zilch!
Go Knicks!
BillSimmonsESPN
Ballboy

Post#6 » by BillSimmonsESPN » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:07 am

Sure, you didn't need to swear that you're a Thunder fan.

Oh, I mean, I'm not hiding it. I think Singler's contract is atrocious, don't get me wrong but it's aged well with the new salary cap. Anyway, Chandler is kind of redundant for the Nuggets (an offensive big w/ limited defense) and he's a backup filling minutes that could go to young guys like Juancho. Roberson brings something they desperately need both for this year's playoff push and for the future with his defense, and he could likely be an immediate starter for them. The only reason to throw in Singler is to make the contracts work (and really, $5m a year is not THAT crazy nowadays, he's hanging around Marco Bellinelli range), but really I think it's not that irrational of a trade. Disclaimer, I don't catch much of the Nuggets, so I wouldn't really know if Chandler is a glue guy.

Plus, really, if Denver is desperate to get rid of him and the Thunder's competition is the Clippers... I'd say this is a better offer than whatever Doc could throw together (realistically).
BillSimmonsESPN
Ballboy

Post#7 » by BillSimmonsESPN » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:09 am

Cipoteman wrote: The 1st proposal :crazy: would possibly be in the Hall of Fame of silly trades in case it happened

I don't think it would make it into the Hall of Fame. Trust me, I'm a Thunder fan. We already have a spot locked down there for something that happened a few years back.
Fresh360Waves
Veteran
And1: 339

Post#8 » by Fresh360Waves » Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:05 am

Both the Clippers and Thunder have limited assets to offer

Lol, good luck getting him then. I think Chandler stays put because no one isn't going to match what DEN wants in return.
geola388
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#9 » by geola388 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:37 am

Lets be real. Nuggets aren't going to be in the 8. Not with Boogie heading to Pels. If I were the Nuggets, I would look at trading Veterans. They're not going to get much for Chandler
joosh
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#10 » by joosh » Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:34 pm

I am a Nugget fan and I actually don't mind the first trade you proposed (Roberson, Singler) for Chandler. Although Chandler is valued by the Nuggets, he is also redundant with Gallinari - almost producing identical PTS/REB.

Since starting Jokic, Denver's offense has been top in the league but still have a bottom 5 defense. Improving our defense is a top priority and Roberson would be extremely beneficial for that.

*Denver also is keen on simply making the playoffs to gain experience for a young team, and keeping the vets like Chandler around would definitely help Denver get there.

If the Front Office believes they can hold onto the 8th seed while trading away Chandler for perimeter defense and maybe a non-lottery pick, I think they make a trade. But I think playoffs is more important than rushing to trade for a defensive player.

Return to Wiretap Discussion