Magic Could Pursue Doc Rivers

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

Magic Could Pursue Doc Rivers 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:44 pm

The Orlando Magic could pursue Doc Rivers this offseason.

Rivers' first head coaching job was with the Magic and he still maintains a home in the area.

Rivers is under contract to serve as Los Angeles Clippers coach and president of basketball operations through the 2018-19 season. 

The Clippers will surely evaluate all aspects of their operation this offseason unless they win a title. The Clippers started the season 14-2 but have struggled with inconsistency and injuries ever since.

Rob Hennigan is widely expected to be fired at the end of the current season as general manager of the Magic. Frank Vogel is in his first season as head coach.

Via Marc Stein/ESPN

macNcheese_3
Ballboy
And1: 2

Re: Magic Could Pursue Doc Rivers 

Post#2 » by macNcheese_3 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:26 pm

Really don't see how Doc is the answer here. He has failed to have any real success in LA thus far. Boston was an entirely different situation and environment - perhaps a little luck on his side. May be realistic for him to head to ORL- but not the right move.
MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,179

Post#3 » by MartinToVaught » Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:29 pm

YESSSS!!! Please, Magic, please bail us out! :nod:
Pedro
Senior
And1: 58

Post#4 » by Pedro » Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:50 pm

macNcheese_3 wrote:Really don't see how Doc is the answer here. He has failed to have any real success in LA thus far. Boston was an entirely different situation and environment - perhaps a little luck on his side. May be realistic for him to head to ORL- but not the right move.

Doc Rivers was fortunate to have Ainge as the GM because Rivers is an awful one for LAC. I find it amazing that he struggles with players he picked and signed himself. This would be yet another poor decision by Orlando ownership & management but a huge save for the Clips.
inquisitive
RealGM
And1: 2,843

Post#5 » by inquisitive » Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:52 pm

MartinToVaught wrote:YESSSS!!! Please, Magic, please bail us out! :nod:

i just was about to comment that i would wait to see martintovaught chime in...lol
KARD "You n Me " Mnet Countdown
www.youtube.com/watch?v=77b3zg3OhgI
DoubleO8
Rookie
And1: 308

Post#6 » by DoubleO8 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:04 pm

Y
TheNewEra
RealGM
And1: 10,409

Post#7 » by TheNewEra » Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:53 pm

inquisitive wrote:

i just was about to comment that i would wait to see martintovaught chime in...lol

If we could get a future first all the better
macNcheese_3
Ballboy
And1: 2

Post#8 » by macNcheese_3 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:47 pm

Pedro wrote:
macNcheese_3 wrote:Really don't see how Doc is the answer here. He has failed to have any real success in LA thus far. Boston was an entirely different situation and environment - perhaps a little luck on his side. May be realistic for him to head to ORL- but not the right move.

Doc Rivers was fortunate to have Ainge as the GM because Rivers is an awful one for LAC. I find it amazing that he struggles with players he picked and signed himself. This would be yet another poor decision by Orlando ownership & management but a huge save for the Clips.

Agree with you in terms of Ainge being the GM. Doc as a GM has yet to show anything reputable. He has failed to bring in role players to fit his so called "system". Bringing back A.Rivers was foreseeable but definitely not the most practical move IMO. He has had some productive games - but I'm sure there were not a handful of teams willing to throw money at Austin. Anyone who has seen LAC play knows they lack in depth- come playoffs it's what has always left them failing to advance. Doc has failed to address any of those needs. That championship in Boston has completely overrated him as a coach.
Ballerhogger
RealGM
And1: 16,798

Post#9 » by Ballerhogger » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:37 pm

No no no but if we get Blake ok :nod:
Pedro
Senior
And1: 58

Post#10 » by Pedro » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:09 pm

macNcheese_3 wrote:
Pedro wrote:

Agree with you in terms of Ainge being the GM. Doc as a GM has yet to show anything reputable. He has failed to bring in role players to fit his so called "system". Bringing back A.Rivers was foreseeable but definitely not the most practical move IMO. He has had some productive games - but I'm sure there were not a handful of teams willing to throw money at Austin. Anyone who has seen LAC play knows they lack in depth- come playoffs it's what has always left them failing to advance. Doc has failed to address any of those needs. That championship in Boston has completely overrated him as a coach.

Yeah, we're on the same page. He also did well in Orlando as a coach and I feel he can do better in LA provided hes under a solid GM. If removing his GM title isnt foreseeable in LAC then they should move on.
PDXKnight
RealGM
And1: 2,676

Post#11 » by PDXKnight » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:26 pm

I'm shocked the clips haven't fired him yet. They've been a good team but it seems like they've underperformed in the playoffs given how talented they are
donemilio21
Analyst
And1: 773

Post#12 » by donemilio21 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:01 am

Orlando please do! In fact, we'll let him out of his contract right away for a couple of 2nd rounders :D
Lee in Oregon
Sophomore
And1: 41

Post#13 » by Lee in Oregon » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:32 am

Ainge was able to get a first round pick for Doc, but Doc's stock was a little higher then. Austin Rivers makes 11 mil a year. That would piss me off if I were a Clips fan.
Simmons25
Analyst
And1: 2,235

Post#14 » by Simmons25 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:33 am

Welcome to Orlandos new starting point guard.... Austin Rivers. :lol: :lol:
Mykhyn
General Manager
And1: 2,232

Post#15 » by Mykhyn » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:29 pm

This makes me think CP3 and Blake are leaving this offseason
A BETTER DJ
Sixth Man
And1: 302

Post#16 » by A BETTER DJ » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:16 pm

If the Clips are offering a couple of 2nd rounders to take him we would have to at least take a look at it. If they are expecting a couple of them forget it. I'd actually like to give Vogel a chance to pick his own players :D
Top notch Wedding DJ and photographer available nationwide. RealGM members Save $200 off our regular low prices!

GO MAGIC!

Return to Wiretap Discussion