Rob Hennigan In Danger Of Being Fired By Magic

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
Posts: 45,811
And1: 124
Joined: Mar 19, 2013

Rob Hennigan In Danger Of Being Fired By Magic 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:33 pm

The Orlando Magic are giving strong consideration to firing Rob Hennigan at the end of the current season.


The Magic expected to contend for a spot in the playoffs this season.


Hennigan became general manager of the Magic at the age of 30 in 2012. Hennigan is signed through the 17-18 season.


Doc Rivers, Pat Garrity and Travis Schlenk have been mentioned as candidates for the job.


Alex Martins has repeatedly deferred comment about Hennigan's job status until season's end.


"First and foremost, the criticism is warranted," Hennigan told the Sentinel last month. "I don't know if it's welcome because no one likes to get criticized, but the job we have and the job we're trying to do is certainly subject to that. Our fans, quite frankly, deserve to be upset and deserve to be frustrated. ... I think the proverbial hot seat comes with the territory."

Via Marc Stein/ESPN

NatiboyB
Junior
Posts: 365
And1: 69
Joined: Jun 15, 2013

Re: Rob Hennigan In Danger Of Being Fired By Magic 

Post#2 » by NatiboyB » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:38 pm

I assumed it was a forgone conclusion that the Magic were moving on from him?
Bentley1225
Head Coach
Posts: 6,240
And1: 399
Joined: Jan 10, 2007

Re: Rob Hennigan In Danger Of Being Fired By Magic 

Post#3 » by Bentley1225 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:19 pm

The 3 strikes on Henningan are:

1. Drafting of Hezonja infront of guys like Winslow and Booker.
2. Overpaying for Biyombo
3. Ibaka deal(s)

I would have thought the first 2 might have still bought him another 1-2 years but that Ibaka deal he basically pushed all his chips into middle of the table and what he got back for him 8 months later has sealed his fate.
User avatar
Morris_Shatford
Senior Mod - Raptors
Senior Mod - Raptors
Posts: 16,466
And1: 2,149
Joined: Jun 29, 2005
Location: Section 118
     

Re: Rob Hennigan In Danger Of Being Fired By Magic 

Post#4 » by Morris_Shatford » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:51 pm

When I saw a notification on my phone that Ibaka had been traded to Toronto for Ross and a 1st in the 20s;
Given what was traded to acquire him on draft night,

My assumption was the next notification I would had received was that the Magic had fired Hennigan.

Shocked it took this long.
Image
Thanks to Turbozone for the Sig!
~Snoopy~
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,753
And1: 1,056
Joined: May 11, 2005
       

Re: Rob Hennigan In Danger Of Being Fired By Magic 

Post#5 » by ~Snoopy~ » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:53 pm

Bentley1225 wrote:The 3 strikes on Henningan are:

1. Drafting of Hezonja infront of guys like Winslow and Booker.
2. Overpaying for Biyombo
3. Ibaka deal(s)

I would have thought the first 2 might have still bought him another 1-2 years but that Ibaka deal he basically pushed all his chips into middle of the table and what he got back for him 8 months later has sealed his fate.


pretty much sums it up tho point one forgot one name Turner.Magic needed a shot blocking pf/c and he went with pooper Mario
~Snoopy~
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,753
And1: 1,056
Joined: May 11, 2005
       

Re: Rob Hennigan In Danger Of Being Fired By Magic 

Post#6 » by ~Snoopy~ » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:56 pm

Morris_Shatford wrote:When I saw a notification on my phone that Ibaka had been traded to Toronto for Ross and a 1st in the 20s;
Given what was traded to acquire him on draft night,

My assumption was the next notification I would had received was that the Magic had fired Hennigan.

Shocked it took this long.

still a lot of Magic fans(Im from Orlando Magic board dont get fooled by Twolves logo -its a statement) defend this move saying Ross is as good or some say even better than Oladipo therefore they say Magic won that trade ... :lol: :nonono:

living in delusion
User avatar
deggett
Freshman
Posts: 55
And1: 24
Joined: Jul 08, 2013
Location: Ukraine
 

Re: Rob Hennigan In Danger Of Being Fired By Magic 

Post#7 » by deggett » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:07 pm

Sacramento of the east.
Vogel next to blame.
the_process
RealGM
Posts: 10,700
And1: 1,698
Joined: May 01, 2010

Re: Rob Hennigan In Danger Of Being Fired By Magic 

Post#8 » by the_process » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:40 pm

NatiboyB wrote:I assumed it was a forgone conclusion that the Magic were moving on from him?


Exactly. How is this news? We already know the Magic are going to fire Hennigan.
Top ten in draft:

Fultz, Issac, Jackson, Tatum, Ntilikina, Collins, Mitchell, Thornwell, Fox, Ball
luss54321
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,460
And1: 178
Joined: Jul 23, 2013

Re: Rob Hennigan In Danger Of Being Fired By Magic 

Post#9 » by luss54321 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:48 pm

Bentley1225 wrote:The 3 strikes on Henningan are:

1. Drafting of Hezonja infront of guys like Winslow and Booker.
2. Overpaying for Biyombo
3. Ibaka deal(s)

I would have thought the first 2 might have still bought him another 1-2 years but that Ibaka deal he basically pushed all his chips into middle of the table and what he got back for him 8 months later has sealed his fate.


Mario was a poor selection, but in all fairness the rest of that draft was pretty awful. Of the 20 players selected after Mario, only Booker and Turner are living up to their potential. Winslow has value but he's also shooting 35% FG.
User avatar
Morris_Shatford
Senior Mod - Raptors
Senior Mod - Raptors
Posts: 16,466
And1: 2,149
Joined: Jun 29, 2005
Location: Section 118
     

Re: Rob Hennigan In Danger Of Being Fired By Magic 

Post#10 » by Morris_Shatford » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:53 pm

~Snoopy~ wrote:
Morris_Shatford wrote:When I saw a notification on my phone that Ibaka had been traded to Toronto for Ross and a 1st in the 20s;
Given what was traded to acquire him on draft night,

My assumption was the next notification I would had received was that the Magic had fired Hennigan.

Shocked it took this long.

still a lot of Magic fans(Im from Orlando Magic board dont get fooled by Twolves logo -its a statement) defend this move saying Ross is as good or some say even better than Oladipo therefore they say Magic won that trade ... :lol: :nonono:

living in delusion


I really liked Ross;
But after 4.5 seasons of hoping he "gets it" and the frustration of watching him have a perfect night followed by three terrible ones is something I am glad another fan base gets to deal with now. I am thrilled Orlando fans are happy with him, and even more thrilled Masai was able to secure that sort of value for him on the market.

Either way,
Ross and a pick in the 20s isn't worth Oladipo and Sabonis which is what the value ultimately percolates down to;
Buy High, Sell Low within the same season and that's why I am not surprised if he gets fired, Its just more terrible asset management.
Image
Thanks to Turbozone for the Sig!
User avatar
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
Posts: 16,393
And1: 10,936
Joined: Jun 27, 2002
   

Re: Rob Hennigan In Danger Of Being Fired By Magic 

Post#11 » by Duffman100 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:07 pm

Honestly, hire me to make your basketball decisions. I bet I can do better...
The_Hater
RealGM
Posts: 54,686
And1: 9,768
Joined: May 23, 2001
     

Re: Rob Hennigan In Danger Of Being Fired By Magic 

Post#12 » by The_Hater » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:42 pm

Bentley1225 wrote:The 3 strikes on Henningan are:

1. Drafting of Hezonja infront of guys like Winslow and Booker.
2. Overpaying for Biyombo
3. Ibaka deal(s)

I would have thought the first 2 might have still bought him another 1-2 years but that Ibaka deal he basically pushed all his chips into middle of the table and what he got back for him 8 months later has sealed his fate.


You missed a few more.

Giving Tobias Harris away for expiring contracts.

Trading Saric and a future 1st for Payton who can't shoot.

Signing Jeff Green for reasons unknown.

Signing DJ Augustin to a huge contract

Projecting Aaron Gordon as a SF wasting development years
I don't want to say we're dysfunctional. But we need to be more functional.
dc
Starter
Posts: 2,059
And1: 1,650
Joined: Aug 11, 2001

Re: Rob Hennigan In Danger Of Being Fired By Magic 

Post#13 » by dc » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:08 pm

The_Hater wrote:You missed a few more.

Giving Tobias Harris away for expiring contracts.

Trading Saric and a future 1st for Payton who can't shoot.

Signing Jeff Green for reasons unknown.

Signing DJ Augustin to a huge contract

Projecting Aaron Gordon as a SF wasting development years


Yep, it's just been an all around poor job of getting pieces that fit together and getting value in return for assets.

He probably invested too much time trying to get things to work around Payton, who isn't a terrible player, but also not the type of a guy to build a team around. They invested a lot of time and likely made 2 other decisions around hitching their wagon to Payton (including giving up a future 1st).
Brian Geltzeiler: You see Mark Jackson getting a head coaching job as early as next year?

Adrian Wojnarowski: Not if people make calls on him. Not if an organization is doing their homework and knows all the things he brings with him.
Cklbmk
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,918
And1: 851
Joined: Sep 16, 2004
     

Re: Rob Hennigan In Danger Of Being Fired By Magic 

Post#14 » by Cklbmk » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:07 pm

~Snoopy~ wrote:
Bentley1225 wrote:The 3 strikes on Henningan are:

1. Drafting of Hezonja infront of guys like Winslow and Booker.
2. Overpaying for Biyombo
3. Ibaka deal(s)

I would have thought the first 2 might have still bought him another 1-2 years but that Ibaka deal he basically pushed all his chips into middle of the table and what he got back for him 8 months later has sealed his fate.


pretty much sums it up tho point one forgot one name Turner.Magic needed a shot blocking pf/c and he went with pooper Mario



Thats hindsight. Turner wasn't considered the same tier at draft time.
User avatar
tiderulz
RealGM
Posts: 22,864
And1: 6,032
Joined: Jun 16, 2010
 

Re: Rob Hennigan In Danger Of Being Fired By Magic 

Post#15 » by tiderulz » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:13 pm

Bentley1225 wrote:The 3 strikes on Henningan are:

1. Drafting of Hezonja infront of guys like Winslow and Booker.
2. Overpaying for Biyombo
3. Ibaka deal(s)

I would have thought the first 2 might have still bought him another 1-2 years but that Ibaka deal he basically pushed all his chips into middle of the table and what he got back for him 8 months later has sealed his fate.


not like Winslow has shown much. More damning he passed on Turner which would have been a great fit, and then we wouldnt have traded Dipo for Ibaka.
PennytoShaq
Magic Forum Mock Draft Co-Champ
Posts: 3,962
And1: 2,502
Joined: Jan 24, 2016
 

Re: Rob Hennigan In Danger Of Being Fired By Magic 

Post#16 » by PennytoShaq » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:23 pm

Morris_Shatford wrote:
~Snoopy~ wrote:
Morris_Shatford wrote:When I saw a notification on my phone that Ibaka had been traded to Toronto for Ross and a 1st in the 20s;
Given what was traded to acquire him on draft night,

My assumption was the next notification I would had received was that the Magic had fired Hennigan.

Shocked it took this long.

still a lot of Magic fans(Im from Orlando Magic board dont get fooled by Twolves logo -its a statement) defend this move saying Ross is as good or some say even better than Oladipo therefore they say Magic won that trade ... :lol: :nonono:

living in delusion


I really liked Ross;
But after 4.5 seasons of hoping he "gets it" and the frustration of watching him have a perfect night followed by three terrible ones is something I am glad another fan base gets to deal with now. I am thrilled Orlando fans are happy with him, and even more thrilled Masai was able to secure that sort of value for him on the market.

Either way,
Ross and a pick in the 20s isn't worth Oladipo and Sabonis which is what the value ultimately percolates down to;
Buy High, Sell Low within the same season and that's why I am not surprised if he gets fired, Its just more terrible asset management.


I disagree with that. Sabonis is not a great fit for the Magic, he could have backed up Aaron Gordon at the 4, but it's not like we lost a game changer there. I'd much rather have two picks in this draft than one outside of the top 10 in last year's.

Oladipo wanted a max extension from Orlando. That is why they traded him. He wanted to be the star here but that's just not happening.

It was not an amazing trade by any means, but I prefer Fournier to Oladipo. If we get a new GM, cool. But I fail to see our team being that much better with Oladipo. We'd probably win 33 games and just have a worse draft pick this year.
PennytoShaq
Magic Forum Mock Draft Co-Champ
Posts: 3,962
And1: 2,502
Joined: Jan 24, 2016
 

Re: Rob Hennigan In Danger Of Being Fired By Magic 

Post#17 » by PennytoShaq » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:25 pm

Cklbmk wrote:
~Snoopy~ wrote:
Bentley1225 wrote:The 3 strikes on Henningan are:

1. Drafting of Hezonja infront of guys like Winslow and Booker.
2. Overpaying for Biyombo
3. Ibaka deal(s)

I would have thought the first 2 might have still bought him another 1-2 years but that Ibaka deal he basically pushed all his chips into middle of the table and what he got back for him 8 months later has sealed his fate.


pretty much sums it up tho point one forgot one name Turner.Magic needed a shot blocking pf/c and he went with pooper Mario



Thats hindsight. Turner wasn't considered the same tier at draft time.


Yep. Magic board is loaded with hindsight posts just like that one. In hindsight, yes Turner would be great for Orlando. But many of the same people complain about us taking Oladipo instead of Giannis, which is an incredible reach, IMO.
The Real Dalic
RealGM
Posts: 12,405
And1: 2,570
Joined: Nov 22, 2009
Location: Orlando, FL
         

Re: Rob Hennigan In Danger Of Being Fired By Magic 

Post#18 » by The Real Dalic » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:21 am

deggett wrote:Sacramento of the east.
Vogel next to blame.

Oh, really? So the Kings made it to the Finals twice in there history and as recently as '09? Interesting.
God. Family. Country. Basketball.
IAMZOOTED
Senior
Posts: 743
And1: 67
Joined: Jul 26, 2016

Re: Rob Hennigan In Danger Of Being Fired By Magic 

Post#19 » by IAMZOOTED » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:01 am

The Real Dalic wrote:
deggett wrote:Sacramento of the east.
Vogel next to blame.

Oh, really? So the Kings made it to the Finals twice in there history and as recently as '09? Interesting.


What have they done since they hired hennigan?
User avatar
NashtyNas
General Manager
Posts: 9,498
And1: 1,259
Joined: Jun 16, 2008
       

Re: Rob Hennigan In Danger Of Being Fired By Magic 

Post#20 » by NashtyNas » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:49 am

The Real Dalic wrote:
deggett wrote:Sacramento of the east.
Vogel next to blame.

Oh, really? So the Kings made it to the Finals twice in there history and as recently as '09? Interesting.


Is this supposed to be some slight to Sacramento... because it's clearly not made by considering ALL the facts one readily has available.
You know... the fact that the Kings should've been the ones in the Finals but got boned by a shoddy, paid off referee... which wasn't too far prior to the "recent" Finals appearance by the Magic...

Regardless.. who cares what they've done in the past? The Magic resemble the Kings East because of the dysfunctionality in the franchise. Coaching carousel, player carousel, GM carousel.... and yet no results for nearly a decade.

Those are facts.
The underappreciated greats:
Image

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser - Socrates
Some seek fame cause they need validation, some say hating is confused admiration - Nasty, nasty Nas

Return to Wiretap Discussion