Paul George Wanted Ball Back From C.J. Miles

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Paul George Wanted Ball Back From C.J. Miles 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:55 am

During the final seconds of the Indiana Pacers' 109-108 loss to the Cleveland Cavaliers in Game 1, Paul George passed the ball to C.J. Miles when he was double teamed. George was expecting to get the ball back from Miles, but instead Miles missed a 14-footer.

"I talked to CJ about it," George said. "In situations like that, I gotta get the last shot. I was asking for it. CJ took it upon himself."

"CJ had a pretty decent look," Nate McMillan said. "We have to make that shot."

LeBron James believes George made the right decision.

"I can only speak for myself. When you're doubling me, I'm giving it up. That's me," James said. "I don't know how everybody else feels about that, but if you get a double, I think we all know math in here: There's two guys on the ball, and that means there's a 4-on-3. You have your numbers. So if you're the best player on the floor, that doesn't mean you have to take the shot. I think he made the right play, and you live with the results."

Via ESPN

hyberx
Starter
And1: 384

Re: Paul George Wanted Ball Back From C.J. Miles 

Post#2 » by hyberx » Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:51 am

Bad play call by the pacers. Last possesion they were playing 2 vs 4 between George and Miles against 4 defenders. Yet Miles still had a open shot. Tough luck.
streets talking
Senior
And1: 31

Post#3 » by streets talking » Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:09 am

why would you milk the clock at the half court with the game on the line
smh as soon as he got double teamed so far from the basket, he didnt know what to do anymore with 5 seconds left on the clock
and was way to far to attempt a shot or a layup or draw a foul, smh, loser for life
twelvefifteen
Ballboy
And1: 14

Post#4 » by twelvefifteen » Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:43 am

"Paul George passed the ball to C.J. Miles when he was double teamed" - this is poorly worded.
12footrim
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,316

Post#5 » by 12footrim » Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:45 am

Miles got the ball with 4.6 seconds left. Seriously he should have thrown it back to PG so he could heave up a 25 footer with 1 second left. :crazy:

I'd blame Nate McMillian for calling the time out and giving the Cavs a chance to set up their defense.
Where I write

The Hoops Resource
EnriCela13
Sophomore
And1: 28

Post#6 » by EnriCela13 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:49 am

12footrim wrote:

Miles got the ball with 4.6 seconds left. Seriously he should have thrown it back to PG so he could heave up a 25 footer with 1 second left. :crazy:

I'd blame Nate McMillian for calling the time out and giving the Cavs a chance to set up their defense.

25 footer with 1 second left and LeBron all over him*

Ridiculous statement by PG. Makes himself seem selfish and shows no confidence in his teammate. Miles got himself a great look and put the team in a position to win the game. Seems to me like PG just wanted a chance to play hero, when he most likely woulda thrown up a brick.
SmashMouthRod
Rookie
And1: 210

Post#7 » by SmashMouthRod » Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:24 am

EnriCela13 wrote:
12footrim wrote:

Ridiculous statement by PG. Makes himself seem selfish and shows no confidence in his teammate. Miles got himself a great look and put the team in a position to win the game. Seems to me like PG just wanted a chance to play hero, when he most likely woulda thrown up a brick.

Excuse you. If Paul hadnt made the three to close the gap to one then there wouldnt have been any game winning attempt to take. In fact if there was no Paul George playing the way he plays Indy wouldnt be in the playoffs. There is nothing selfish about wanting to win. He knew he wouldve made a shot and He deserved that moment as much as any other great player would be expected to bring his team home in that moment.
jamesnamida
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,048

Post#8 » by jamesnamida » Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:36 am

1. Bad spacing.
2. Why take a time out when you're just giving it to George with everyone clearing out.
3. Cavs showed their hand with the double before the foul, yet pacers still failed.
4. Should've had Ellis in there, rather have him shoot a mid range off the dribble than miles.
One more pass and there would've been someone open. Also Stevenson was open.
spree2kawhi
RealGM
And1: 3,820

Post#9 » by spree2kawhi » Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:28 am

That was a very interesting play to say the least. George should have dribbled it and attacked the basket to his right. Other than that, Miles made the right play.
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,305

Post#10 » by boomershadow » Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:56 pm

jamesnamida wrote:1. Bad spacing.
2. Why take a time out when you're just giving it to George with everyone clearing out.
3. Cavs showed their hand with the double before the foul, yet pacers still failed.
4. Should've had Ellis in there, rather have him shoot a mid range off the dribble than miles.
One more pass and there would've been someone open. Also Stevenson was open.

Lance was not open.
12footrim
Lead Assistant

Post#11 » by 12footrim » Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:13 pm

SmashMouthRod wrote:
Excuse you. If Paul hadnt made the three to close the gap to one then there wouldnt have been any game winning attempt to take.

So this justifies him taking a 3 point shot with Lebron and somone else hanging off him on a double team 25 feet from the rim. Miles is just as good of a shooter and he actually got up a pretty open look instead.

In fact if there was no Paul George playing the way he plays Indy wouldnt be in the playoffs.

That could very well be said about Teague, Turner and they even sucked with out Thad Young. You do realize Teague and Turner are just about statistically as good. George is one of the most overrated players in the NBA.

There is nothing selfish about wanting to win.

We'll he's just dumb because the odds were better for Miles to shoot it than pass it back to him with 4 seconds left when he got him the ball.

He knew he wouldve made a shot and He deserved that moment as much as any other great player would be expected to bring his team home in that moment.

What is he Miss Cleo, he didn't know jack. He misses plenty of shots and it's more likely he would have missed one being doubled teamed that far out at the buzzer.
Where I write

The Hoops Resource
thamadkant
Suns Forum Picker of Cherries
And1: 7,771

Post#12 » by thamadkant » Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:56 pm

I think George should've not wasted a few seconds up top. Should've attacked and at the least draw a foul or scrambled Cavs defense by drawing rhe double inside the arc then kicking out or getting a shot attempt and hopefully free throw attempts.
SmashMouthRod
Rookie
And1: 210

Post#13 » by SmashMouthRod » Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:14 pm

12footrim wrote:
SmashMouthRod wrote:
Excuse you. If Paul hadnt made the three to close the gap to one then there wouldnt have been any game winning attempt to take.

So this justifies him taking a 3 point shot with Lebron and somone else hanging off him on a double team 25 feet from the rim. Miles is just as good of a shooter and he actually got up a pretty open look instead.

In fact if there was no Paul George playing the way he plays Indy wouldnt be in the playoffs.

That could very well be said about Teague, Turner and they even sucked with out Thad Young. You do realize Teague and Turner are just about statistically as good. George is one of the most overrated players in the NBA.

We'll he's just dumb because the odds were better for Miles to shoot it than pass it back to him with 4 seconds left when he got him the ball.

He knew he wouldve made a shot and He deserved that moment as much as any other great player would be expected to bring his team home in that moment.

What is he Miss Cleo, he didn't know jack. He misses plenty of shots and it's more likely he would have missed one being doubled teamed that far out at the buzzer.

Man what the what?? Ok first things first, If u knew Paul George's game then u know he's clutch. CJ Miles has no history of being clutch; in fact he struggles creating his own shot off the dribble and is relegated to shooting spot up threes when he's open. So no Miles is not just as good of a shooter. He is what you call a situational shooter or role player. And we must not have watched the same game because CJ was forced to shoot a fade away two point jump shot something that again; isn't exactly a strength of his. So Paul taking a shot from 25 would've been better than that. Thats like saying it would've been better for Devean George or Rick Fox to take a game winning shot than Kobe. Everyone should know better. It would be one thing if CJ drove to the rim for a layup but even then if he gets fouled he probably wont get the call because its the NBA. Superstars only get that call at that moment. What stats did u use to come to the conclusion that Teague and Turner were just as good as Paul? You must be one of those 2k players or just have a good imagination. You do realize that the team was 42-40 right? And that they didnt reel off 5 straight wins until Paul began to average around 30 in conjunction with the emergence of Stephenson? This team didn't struggle because Thad Young was out. This team struggled because it had no identity all season long. They struggled all season to play consistently even with Thad Young.
lonea
Rookie
And1: 527

Post#14 » by lonea » Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:38 pm

Stop being ridiculous. The shot by Miles was a decent look.

10/10 coach would agree Miles should've taken the shot.

SmashMouthRod wrote:
12footrim wrote:
SmashMouthRod wrote:

Man what the what?? Ok first things first, If u knew Paul George's game then u know he's clutch. CJ Miles has no history of being clutch; in fact he struggles creating his own shot off the dribble and is relegated to shooting spot up threes when he's open. So no Miles is not just as good of a shooter. He is what you call a situational shooter or role player. And we must not have watched the same game because CJ was forced to shoot a fade away two point jump shot something that again; isn't exactly a strength of his. So Paul taking a shot from 25 would've been better than that. Thats like saying it would've been better for Devean George or Rick Fox to take a game winning shot than Kobe. Everyone should know better. It would be one thing if CJ drove to the rim for a layup but even then if he gets fouled he probably wont get the call because its the NBA. Superstars only get that call at that moment. What stats did u use to come to the conclusion that Teague and Turner were just as good as Paul? You must be one of those 2k players or just have a good imagination. You do realize that the team was 42-40 right? And that they didnt reel off 5 straight wins until Paul began to average around 30 in conjunction with the emergence of Stephenson? This team didn't struggle because Thad Young was out. This team struggled because it had no identity all season long. They struggled all season to play consistently even with Thad Young.
12footrim
Lead Assistant

Post#15 » by 12footrim » Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:30 pm

SmashMouthRod wrote:Man what the what?? Ok first things first, If u knew Paul George's game then u know he's clutch. CJ Miles has no history of being clutch; in fact he struggles creating his own shot off the dribble and is relegated to shooting spot up threes when he's open. So no Miles is not just as good of a shooter. He is what you call a situational shooter or role player. And we must not have watched the same game because CJ was forced to shoot a fade away two point jump shot something that again; isn't exactly a strength of his. So Paul taking a shot from 25 would've been better than that.

By the time he got the ball back he would have had 2 seconds at most. At the very most and still had Lebron and Kyrie on him 20+ feet from the basket. I don't care how clutch you think the guy is that's as poor a shot as you can get. At least Miles only had a 37 year old he shook pretty easily and got a decent look and not a Lebron double. When George passed it to him he did the only thing he could do. If you want to blame anyone blame PG and Nate McMillian.

Thats like saying it would've been better for Devean George or Rick Fox to take a game winning shot than Kobe. Everyone should know better.

Ah, the old Kobe hero ball sham. So what about Robert Horry or Derek Fisher taking that last shot?

Superstars only get that call at that moment. What stats did u use to come to the conclusion that Teague and Turner were just as good as Paul? You must be one of those 2k players or just have a good imagination. You do realize that the team was 42-40 right? And that they didnt reel off 5 straight wins until Paul began to average around 30 in conjunction with the emergence of Stephenson?

Player Efficiency Rating

20.30..George #42 NBA
19.24.. Teague #52
18.51..Turner #63

Real Plus minus
#33.. George 2.86
#44..Turner 2.40
#72..Teague 1.56

I never said George wasn't better but let's not pretend he's a "superstar". There really wasn't much statistical difference in them.
Where I write

The Hoops Resource
BarneyGumble
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,210

Post#16 » by BarneyGumble » Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:37 am

Paul George is 0-15 lifetime in these situations. CJ must have known this :lol:
hyberx
Starter
And1: 384

Post#17 » by hyberx » Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:41 am

This tells you neither PG nor McMillian are champion material. Bad comment to say your teammate shouldn't take that shot while you are doubled. Bad play call by the coach.
donaldtrump_00
Analyst
And1: 567

Post#18 » by donaldtrump_00 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:29 pm

EnriCela13 wrote:
12footrim wrote:

I was mad to miles took it upon himself to take that shot. It's not selfish it's called superstars taking the last shot. Its more selfish of miles that he didnt recognise that george passed him the ball to set up a last second 3pt with full extenstion off two feet which he makes all the time and felt comfortable taking. If u going to lose in the playoffs let it be with your star player and not the 6th man. I can live with monta ellis or teague cause there used to it. But even tho it wasnt a horrible shot he had time to pass it back to george and I'm sure the play wasn't for miles. He's on the court to have a shooter just in case the play breaks down which it didn't. It made me pissed to. George clearly ran to get the ball back. Poor judgment by a 6th 7th man on the roster
donaldtrump_00
Analyst
And1: 567

Post#19 » by donaldtrump_00 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:54 pm

1UPZ wrote:I think George should've not wasted a few seconds up top. Should've attacked and at the least draw a foul or scrambled Cavs defense by drawing rhe double inside the arc then kicking out or getting a shot attempt and hopefully free throw attempts.

I can tell y'all not actually ballers. If you were you wouldn't want LeBron or anyone on that roster taking any last second shot. Smart on George milking the clock. U want one final shot to either win or lose. No giving it back to the Cavs with all then clutch shooters. Miles made a mistake point blank. Only thing was it was a shot he can make.
12footrim
Lead Assistant

Post#20 » by 12footrim » Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:22 pm

BarneyGumble wrote:Paul George is 0-15 lifetime in these situations. CJ must have known this :lol:

:lol: Clutch.

Look at the you tube photo or video. He's 10 feet behind the three point line with 3.4 seconds left to go. It's unbelievable people wanted him taking that shot or that he made it an issue.
Where I write

The Hoops Resource

Return to Wiretap Discussion