Thunder Intend To Keep Andre Roberson

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 291

Thunder Intend To Keep Andre Roberson 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:56 pm

The Oklahoma City and Andre Roberson were unable to agree upon an extension before their deadline at the beginning of the season and he'll be a restricted free agent.

While Roberson is a liability on offense, he has developed into a very good defensive player. Oklahoma City has moved away from the league-wide trend of valuing shooting and instead want cutting and driving.

The Thunder intend to keep Roberson.

Via Royce Young/ESPN

CP300 lbs
Junior
And1: 258

Re: Thunder Intend To Keep Andre Roberson 

Post#2 » by CP300 lbs » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:02 am

With this becoming public, watch a team overpay Roberson only for OKC having to match the offer sheet further handicapping their finances. It would be similar to the Kanter situation.
Basketball_Jones
RealGM
And1: 16,726

Post#3 » by Basketball_Jones » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:13 am

Deandre Jordan or Andre Roberson, free throw shooting contest, who you got?
2019 Eastern Conference All Stars

Derozan
Lowry
Ibaka
Valanciunas
Van Vleet
Delon Wright
Lebron
Embiid

There are only 2 teams in the league that rank in the top 6 in offensive and defensive efficiency: the Golden State Warriors and the Toronto Raptors.
Spicy P
RealGM
And1: 5,859

Post#4 » by Spicy P » Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:19 am

They'll probably pay him the max just like all their other players.
spearsy23
RealGM
And1: 7,459

Post#5 » by spearsy23 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:46 am

CP300 lbs wrote:With this becoming public, watch a team overpay Roberson only for OKC having to match the offer sheet further handicapping their finances. It would be similar to the Kanter situation.

It's exactly the opposite, it was leaked so that other gm's know they'll have to overpay which will theoretically depress the market.
“If you're getting stops and you're making threes and the other team's not scoring, that's when you're going to see a huge point difference there,” coach Billy Donovan said.
Mr. E
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,510
Location: Defending Planet Earth with a Jet-Pack & a Ray-Gun!

Post#6 » by Mr. E » Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:27 am

I think that they will retain him at a mutually beneficial price; and that it will be a good move by both parties.
"A fanatic is one who can't change their mind and won't change the subject."
- Winston Churchill
NashtyNas
RealGM
And1: 1,887

Post#7 » by NashtyNas » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:09 am

spearsy23 wrote:
CP300 lbs wrote:With this becoming public, watch a team overpay Roberson only for OKC having to match the offer sheet further handicapping their finances. It would be similar to the Kanter situation.

It's exactly the opposite, it was leaked so that other gm's know they'll have to overpay which will theoretically depress the market.

I think both of you are correct. OKC did this with the intention of trying to keep teams from overpaying... but they know full well what their limit is for Andre. If a team offers more than $12M/year, OKC will make the right decision and let him walk. Someone who is THAT bad at offense cannot take up more than 10-12% of your cap without becoming a problem financially.

Defense is very important, but if you literally can't make free throws as a guard, you're unplayable offensively in key situations which diminishes your value drastically.

The underappreciated greats:

Some seek fame cause they need validation, some say hating is confused admiration - Nasty, nasty Nas
12footrim
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,316

Post#8 » by 12footrim » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:55 pm

spearsy23 wrote:

Or perhaps they really don't want to pay the guy and are hoping to bait other teams into overpaying to screw them while simultaneously retaining cover for not extending him in the fanbase and media, ownership taxes etc. He has some talent but he is a poor fit for a team trying to build around Westbrook.
Where I write

The Hoops Resource
12footrim
Lead Assistant

Post#9 » by 12footrim » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:58 pm

Basketball_Jones wrote:Deandre Jordan or Andre Roberson, free throw shooting contest, who you got?

Roberson in his college and NBA career before this year had hit 58-60%, that's bad but that's not D. Jordan bad like he was this year. I still have hope for the guy at least getting back to 60%. I
Where I write

The Hoops Resource
12footrim
Lead Assistant

Post#10 » by 12footrim » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:02 pm

I_Socrates wrote:

Defense is very important, but if you literally can't make free throws as a guard, you're unplayable offensively in key situations which diminishes your value drastically.

You highlighted the entire problem of how this team is build so poorly. He shouldn't be playing guard or even SF ideally. He's a hustle 4 in a vacuum. A guy that if he played mostly at 4 is still a capable rebounder and defender there and would be one of the best switchers in the NBA. He would even stretch the floor some at that position as not a total non threat. It would be much easier for him to get more open 3's as well as a PF and likely do better.
Where I write

The Hoops Resource
macNcheese3
RealGM
And1: 6,915

Post#11 » by macNcheese3 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:34 pm

Hack -a- Andre will continue. He really needs to focus on this free throws, absolutely unacceptable IMO.
Tiesto_Lakers
Analyst
And1: 4,154

Post#12 » by Tiesto_Lakers » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:45 pm

I don't know how much I'd pay Roberson - at the MOST maybe $8 mill per year.

Sure, he's good on defense, but does that overshadow his horrendous offensive game? 2 for 12 from the line in game 4 says it all.
Hullajelolt
Junior
And1: 512

Post#13 » by Hullajelolt » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:35 pm

If you compare Roberson to Luc Mbah a Moute, I think the latter is the better player. They are both outstanding defenders, even if Luc is mentioned much less, and he is much less a liability on offense. Still, Roberson will receive at least 10 millon anually, while Luc will be very lucky to receive the MLE somewhere (hopefully in LA)
MegaK
Bench Warmer
And1: 133

Post#14 » by MegaK » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:19 pm

WWWWHHHHHYYYYYYYY !!!!!!! This why westbrook has got to get out of town. Thunder intend to keep Roberson but let Harden walk for nothing. This team is mentally challenged (can't say retar ded on realgm, haha).

Return to Wiretap Discussion