Al Horford: 'Biggest Thing Was Danny Ainge' In Picking Celtics

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Al Horford: 'Biggest Thing Was Danny Ainge' In Picking Celtics 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Fri May 5, 2017 5:20 pm

Al Horford chose to sign with the Boston Celtics last offseason over rival playoff teams like the Washington Wizards, Atlanta Hawks and Houston Rockets.

“The biggest thing was Danny Ainge,” said Horford of the Celtics president. “Right before I signed here one of the things he said to me was, ‘I want you to be who you are and the player that you are - the competitor, the winner. Don’t worry about the numbers. Just play hard and help us win.’ He was very clear from the beginning, and that really took the pressure off me. Obviously, there were all of these expectations – the big contract - but he and coach Stevens put me at peace and allowed me to play my game.’’

Horford averaged role player stats despite his max salary.

“You don’t take a guy that’s averaging 14 points a game and expect him to average 25,’’ Ainge said. “You don’t take a .270, 20-home-run guy and expect that he’s going to hit .330 and 40 home runs. We knew what Al was, and I think he’s even been better than what we thought.’’

Via Ian Thomsen/NBA.com

ShazamDaShiznt
Analyst
And1: 4,766

Re: Al Horford: 'Biggest Thing Was Danny Ainge' In Picking Celtics 

Post#2 » by ShazamDaShiznt » Fri May 5, 2017 7:04 pm

yes, cause danny's the one who offered that enormous contract :lol:
luss54321
Starter
And1: 297

Post#3 » by luss54321 » Fri May 5, 2017 7:27 pm

Even better than you thought...?

Horford's salary over the next 3 years is 27 million, 28 million, and 30 million.... For a player who average 14 and 7...?

Honestly, one of the worst contracts in the league.
Donnyxc
Starter
And1: 247

Post#4 » by Donnyxc » Fri May 5, 2017 7:39 pm

luss54321 wrote:Even better than you thought...?

Horford's salary over the next 3 years is 27 million, 28 million, and 30 million.... For a player who average 14 and 7...?

Don't forget the C's cap space though. They had room to offer two Max Contracts last summer (A la Durant). I agree it's a lot to pay an aging big man, but you should also check his post-season stats value instead of just his 14 and 7s
"If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save a game I'd choose Michael Jordan; If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save my life...I'd take Larry Bird." - Pat Riley
PaulGaston
Junior
And1: 155

Post#5 » by PaulGaston » Fri May 5, 2017 7:59 pm

People who say that haven't watched the Celtics and don't understand basketball. There's a reason why every player on the team saw their FG% jump with the arrival of Al Horford. He had a similar impact on the Hawks. Isaiah Thomas wouldn't be doing what he was doing this season without Horford on the team. He's been huge all season.
luss54321
Starter

Post#6 » by luss54321 » Fri May 5, 2017 8:34 pm

PaulGaston wrote:

People who say that haven't watched the Celtics and don't understand basketball. There's a reason why every player on the team saw their FG% jump with the arrival of Al Horford. He had a similar impact on the Hawks. Isaiah Thomas wouldn't be doing what he was doing this season without Horford on the team. He's been huge all season.

Whoa a little defensive there.

Horford definitely adds value to the team, but he's currently the 2nd highest paid player in the NBA. You can't seriously argue that he's worth that money. Horford is a very good role player. He's capable of having big nights, but he also disappears for long stretches of the game. I've been watching Al Horford since he was in college. I know exactly the type of player he is.
BudenFerry
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,496

Post#7 » by BudenFerry » Fri May 5, 2017 8:57 pm

I bet his opinion of Horford changes after the Cavs series, if they make it thar far.
PaulGaston
Junior
And1: 155

Post#8 » by PaulGaston » Fri May 5, 2017 9:31 pm

luss54321 wrote:
PaulGaston wrote:

Horford definitely adds value to the team, but he's currently the 2nd highest paid player in the NBA. You can't seriously argue that he's worth that money. Horford is a very good role player. He's capable of having big nights, but he also disappears for long stretches of the game. I've been watching Al Horford since he was in college. I know exactly the type of player he is.

Yes, he's worth it. He makes within 5 million of Derrick Rose, Chandler Parson, Dirk, Hassan Whiteside, Dwayne Wade and Carmelo Anthony... all players Al Horford is significantly better than.

Again, people who say he's not worth what he makes don't understand how basketball works. Him averaging 14 points, 7 rebounds and 5 assists doesn't actually show the impact he has on that team. He's the reason Jae Crowder's percentages jumped from 44%/33% to 46%/40%. He's the reason Avery Bradley's percentages jumped from 45%/36% to 46%/39%. He's the reason Thomas went from averaging 22 points on 42%/35% shooting ot 29 points on 46%/38% shooting. He makes his teammates better. He's an extremely intelligent mobile big who is the ideal pick-and-roll partner in the modern NBA. He can set screams, but also step out and shoot the three at 36%. He's a leader on the court. He plays solid defense (He had the highest defensive rating on the team). His VORP was second only to Thomas. In the modern NBA cap landscape, Al Horford is being paid market rate. He anchors our defense while being pivotal to our offense.

He was worth every penny in the regular season. He's been underpaid in the playoffs. 16 points, 8.2 rebounds, 6 assists with 63% shooting and 54% from three... ridiculously good. He has the highest PER on the team in the playoffs. Thomas had his big offensive game (credit Horford), but it's been Horford who has consistently lead this team to wins during the playoffs. He takes nothing away. He just makes the entire team better.
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#9 » by The_Hater » Fri May 5, 2017 9:36 pm

Slightly overpaid perhaps but not even close to one of the worst
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
Whetzell
Junior
And1: 96

Post#10 » by Whetzell » Fri May 5, 2017 9:37 pm

luss54321 wrote:
PaulGaston wrote:

He's defensive because idiots all year have been saying this based on stats and stats alone. He's the best passing big man in the game with a great 3 point shot in a pace and space offense, if you don't get how important that is then you don't understand x's and o's you just watch highlights of crossovers and dunks and then think that's basketball.
luss54321
Starter

Post#11 » by luss54321 » Fri May 5, 2017 9:51 pm

Whetzell wrote:
luss54321 wrote:
PaulGaston wrote:

He's defensive because idiots all year have been saying this based on stats and stats alone. He's the best passing big man in the game with a great 3 point shot in a pace and space offense, if you don't get how important that is then you don't understand x's and o's you just watch highlights of crossovers and dunks and then think that's basketball.

Maybe you missed this, but we're discussing the contract. Something you didn't even mention...?

I guess 5 APG and 35% 3PT is worth the 2nd highest contact in the league.

I actually like Horford's game. He's a really solid all around player, but he's on the wrong side of 30 and his production is already pretty low. His scoring and rebounding numbers are poor. Also... Horford is an average 3PT shooter. I'm not sure what world you live in where 35% is considered great.
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors
And1: 15,798

Post#12 » by floppymoose » Fri May 5, 2017 10:01 pm

Maybe he's the second best passing big in the nba. Green is better.
Whetzell
Junior

Post#13 » by Whetzell » Fri May 5, 2017 10:07 pm

floppymoose wrote:Maybe he's the second best passing big in the nba. Green is better.

Green is 6'7 same height as Jaylen Brown.
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,804

Post#14 » by HotelVitale » Fri May 5, 2017 10:11 pm

luss54321 wrote: Horford definitely adds value to the team, but he's currently the 2nd highest paid player in the NBA. You can't seriously argue that he's worth that money.

Ugh, let's stop with this 'highest paid' stuff. He's the 2nd highest paid guy now because he happened to sign a big contract after the huge cap jump. It's just a weird byproduct of NBA cap history--in a few months he'll be like the 10th highest paid guy, and in a few years he'll be like the 25th highest paid guy. And that's a perfectly fine place to be for a vet deep in his prime whom you didn't have to give up anything but cap space to get.
Whetzell
Junior

Post#15 » by Whetzell » Fri May 5, 2017 10:12 pm

luss54321 wrote:
Whetzell wrote:
luss54321 wrote:

Maybe you missed this, but we're discussing the contract. Something you didn't even mention...?

I actually like Horford's game. He's a really solid all around player, but he's on the wrong side of 30 and his production is already pretty low. His scoring and rebounding numbers are poor. Also... Horford is an average 3PT shooter. I'm not sure what world you live in where 35% is considered great.

Who needs to bring up money when I proved my point without mentioning it? He has enourmous value to this team and is worth a max. The thing YOU don't realize is that the players like Harden, Kawaii, Lebron, Durant, etc are worth double the max but it's capped so there is nothing you can do. Celtics got sweeped the last two years in the playoffs and now they're in the 2nd round up 2-1. It's not a coincidence.
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors

Post#16 » by floppymoose » Fri May 5, 2017 10:28 pm

Whetzell wrote:
floppymoose wrote:Maybe he's the second best passing big in the nba. Green is better.

Green is a PF. Not sure what your point is?

Standing reach:
Horford: 8' 11"
Green: 8' 10"

( Jaylen Brown: 8' 6.5" )
Whetzell
Junior

Post#17 » by Whetzell » Fri May 5, 2017 10:46 pm

floppymoose wrote:
Whetzell wrote:

Standing reach:

I just wouldn't call him a traditional big. He benefits by having a 7 foot small forward and 3 guys who shoot around 45% from 3.

Inflated stats plus not being a true big.
luss54321
Starter

Post#18 » by luss54321 » Fri May 5, 2017 11:06 pm

Whetzell wrote:
luss54321 wrote:
Whetzell wrote:

Who needs to bring up money when I proved my point without mentioning it? He has enourmous value to this team and is worth a max. The thing YOU don't realize is that the players like Harden, Kawaii, Lebron, Durant, etc are worth double the max but it's capped so there is nothing you can do. Celtics got sweeped the last two years in the playoffs and now they're in the 2nd round up 2-1. It's not a coincidence.

Celtics would have lost in the 1st round if Rondo didn't get injured. They were getting thoroughly outplayed. The Bulls either sweep or go up 3-1 after returning to Chicago. The Celtics lucked out of being the worst #1 seed of all time.
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors

Post#19 » by floppymoose » Fri May 5, 2017 11:53 pm

Whetzell wrote:
floppymoose wrote:
Whetzell wrote:Green is 6'7 same height as Jaylen Brown.

Standing reach:

I just wouldn't call him a traditional big. He benefits by having a 7 foot small forward and 3 guys who shoot around 45% from 3.

Inflated stats plus not being a true big.

He had the stats when Harrison Barnes was his small forward. His predecessor, who was an all-star, did NOT have those stats despite also having Curry and Thompson around him. Green has actual passing talent.
Whetzell
Junior

Post#20 » by Whetzell » Sat May 6, 2017 12:39 am

luss54321 wrote:
Whetzell wrote:
luss54321 wrote:

Celtics would have lost in the 1st round if Rondo didn't get injured. They were getting thoroughly outplayed. The Bulls either sweep or go up 3-1 after returning to Chicago. The Celtics lucked out of being the worst #1 seed of all time.

That's totally wrong in my opinion. The Celtics played tight because of the death of Thomas' sister. Maybe they win one more game with Rondo but the players played looser and Stevens made the adjustments.

Return to Wiretap Discussion