Adam Silver Unconcerned With Playoff Dominance Of Warriors, Cavaliers

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Adam Silver Unconcerned With Playoff Dominance Of Warriors, Cavaliers 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Sat May 20, 2017 7:36 am

During an interview with ESPN, Adam Silver said he is unconcerned with the playoff dominance of the Golden State Warriors and Cleveland Cavaliers. The two teams, who have played each other in the past two Finals, are a combined 20-0.

"It's not a concern," Silver said. "I think that we should celebrating excellence. People are already anointing these teams as dominant and franchise teams. But, on the other hand, I look at the [Warriors] that hadn't won a championship in 40 years. The Cavaliers, of course, won last year and had never won a championship before in this league. ... Of course you want to see balance throughout the league. At the same time, when teams are excelling and playing at that level, I think, the fan in me, it's fantastic to watch."

Silver's time with the NBA has largely been marked by his pursuit of competitive balance.

Via RealGM Staff Report

Leprechaun18
Bench Warmer
And1: 644

Re: Adam Silver Unconcerned With Playoff Dominance Of Warriors, Cavaliers 

Post#2 » by Leprechaun18 » Sat May 20, 2017 8:29 am

He needs to fix the rigged reffing!
caliswiss
Ballboy
And1: 12

Post#3 » by caliswiss » Sat May 20, 2017 8:39 am

Of course hes not concerned. The ratings are through the roof, and making the league money. But a fan like my self thats a die hard basketball fan I think its makes the competition weak and a joke. Another thing I dont like about some of these super teams is when they wanna rest on a televised national spotlight games of the night, or playing a team on the road from the west/east that they will only play once out of the year. I wish Silver fined superstars a big penny to send a message that we will not tolerate that for our fans. Cause without us sitting in those seats, you wouldnt be getting paid that massive contracts they get.
caliswiss
Ballboy
And1: 12

Post#4 » by caliswiss » Sat May 20, 2017 8:42 am

Leprechaun18 wrote:He needs to fix the rigged reffing!

I agree with there, specially for super stars. But hey basketball has always been like that though.
Rapaz
RealGM
And1: 39,252

Post#5 » by Rapaz » Sat May 20, 2017 12:11 pm

"I don't think having two superteams is good for the league," Adam Silver said in a press conference during Las Vegas Summer League.

http://www.sbnation.com/2016/7/12/12168934/adam-silver-warriors-kevin-durant-superteams-bad-for-nba

LOL
draftnightsuit
Analyst
And1: 6,576

Post#6 » by draftnightsuit » Sat May 20, 2017 1:45 pm

I'm sure Stern wasn't concerned about the Lakers and Celtics in the '80s either
KamikazeK
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,733

Post#7 » by KamikazeK » Sat May 20, 2017 2:31 pm

He should be concerned. The NBA right now is a complete **** joke.
draftnightsuit
Analyst

Post#8 » by draftnightsuit » Sat May 20, 2017 2:55 pm

The NBA had parity in the '70s. From 1975-1979 the NBA champions were: Warriors, Bullets, Blazers, Sonics. No dynasties, no dominant teams.

As a result, ratings plummeted and the league nearly folded. NBA Finals were broadcast on tape delay. Then the '80s saw the rise of the Celtics and Lakers which rejuvenated the league and saved it from extinction.

Casual fans who know nothing about the history of the league can complain about "lack of parity", but that doesn't change the fact that NBA is better and more popular now than it's ever been, and the game just keeps getting better with more talent flowing in every year.

People want to see great teams, not watered-down parity.
KamikazeK
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,733

Post#9 » by KamikazeK » Sat May 20, 2017 3:07 pm

draftnightsuit wrote:The NBA had parity in the '70s. From 1975-1979 the NBA champions were: Warriors, Bullets, Blazers, Sonics. No dynasties, no dominant teams.

As a result, ratings plummeted and the league nearly folding. NBA Finals were broadcast on tape delay. Then the '80s saw the rise of the Celtics and Lakers which rejuvenated the league and saved it from extinction.

Casual fans who know nothing about the history of the league can complain about "lack of parity", but that doesn't change the fact that NBA is better and more popular now than it's ever been, and the game just keeps getting with more talent flowing in every year.

The only people happy with the NBA now are from Ohio and California. Why should anyone else in the country even give a ****? There's no reason.
shadrock
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,521

Post#10 » by shadrock » Sat May 20, 2017 3:28 pm

caliswiss wrote:

I agree with there, specially for super stars. But hey basketball has always been like that though.

Ah the good ol "thats just how it is" argument... :banghead:
The_Ghost_of_JB
RealGM
And1: 17,681

Post#11 » by The_Ghost_of_JB » Sat May 20, 2017 3:50 pm

So instead of have competitive series people want to watch he'd rather have two teams beat every team in their Conference Finals by 30 or 40 points? Who the hell is going to sit there and watch that?
*Insert witty signature here.*
Dubious Kitty
Sophomore
And1: 161

Post#12 » by Dubious Kitty » Sat May 20, 2017 4:00 pm

Rapaz wrote:
"I don't think having two superteams is good for the league," Adam Silver said in a press conference during Las Vegas Summer League.

http://www.sbnation.com/2016/7/12/12168934/adam-silver-warriors-kevin-durant-superteams-bad-for-nba

LOL

Oh, he's turning into Donald Trump. Great. :crazy:
A BETTER DJ
Sixth Man
And1: 302

Post#13 » by A BETTER DJ » Sat May 20, 2017 4:06 pm

It's either rigger or just plain incompetent, either way it needs to be fixed. For all the $ the NBA makes I think it can afford and we need more refs per game that each cover a part of the court and stay there. Expecting some of these older guys to run the court with the young bucks and still have their wits about them is silly. I'd love to see 2 at each end of the court and 1 that stays mid court.

Also since NBA players/coaches get huge fines for complaining about calls, the refs that make them should be fined too!
Top notch Wedding DJ and photographer available nationwide. RealGM members Save $200 off our regular low prices!

GO MAGIC!
GEOLINK
General Manager
And1: 8,312

Post#14 » by GEOLINK » Sat May 20, 2017 5:42 pm

Prepare for Cavs/Warriors Finals for the next 5 years.
ishoy123
Starter
And1: 2,621

Post#15 » by ishoy123 » Sat May 20, 2017 6:43 pm

Dubious Kitty wrote:
Rapaz wrote:

LOL

Oh, he's turning into Donald Trump. Great. :crazy:

He probably saw the ratings and attendance figures, and saw that they didn't go down.
Red8911
RealGM
And1: 4,221

Post#16 » by Red8911 » Sat May 20, 2017 8:26 pm

And the steroids use. Stop protecting Lebron!
Dennis 37
RealGM
And1: 17,786

Post#17 » by Dennis 37 » Sat May 20, 2017 8:50 pm

draftnightsuit wrote:The NBA had parity in the '70s. From 1975-1979 the NBA champions were: Warriors, Bullets, Blazers, Sonics. No dynasties, no dominant teams.

As a result, ratings plummeted and the league nearly folding. NBA Finals were broadcast on tape delay. Then the '80s saw the rise of the Celtics and Lakers which rejuvenated the league and saved it from extinction.

Casual fans who know nothing about the history of the league can complain about "lack of parity", but that doesn't change the fact that NBA is better and more popular now than it's ever been, and the game just keeps getting better with more talent flowing in every year.

To use what happened on the 70's is rIdiculous. There were three US networks plus PBS. Having to fit NFL, MLB, Wide World of Sports, NHL etc and then find space for the NBA meant ones favourite NBA team would be on TV how many times, broadcast over what range?

Today, when every game is available for fans to watch, and people bitch when they can't get a preseason game, is a totally different story. While there are those who bandwagon the star teams, I'm not one of them. I've stopped watching this year, because there isn't even a chance of a Cinderella team surprising people and getting by GSW or Cleveland. I don't think I've been interested in games this deep in the playoffs since Sacramento and Phoenix were cheated.

Parity would keep my eye on the game, even after my team was out, because I could say to myself, my team is not far away from the finals teams. I'll watch to see what they do, that my team doesn't. But what's the use, my team can't duplicate what they do, the gap is too large.
Maxpainmedia:
"NYC has the **** most Two Faced fans, but we ALL loved IQ,, and that is super rare, I've been a Knicks fan for 37 years, this kid is a star and he will snap in Toronto"
nedleeds
General Manager
And1: 7,676

Post#18 » by nedleeds » Sat May 20, 2017 9:30 pm

Flopping, the charge call, 3 point shooters throwing their arms into defenders and being rewarded are way bigger problems he needs to tackle.
Zenzibar wrote:Nevertheless, Payton is not a finished product yet and unless the team moves him in a couple of weeks, I anticipate him trending upward with this coaching staff.
draftnightsuit
Analyst

Post#19 » by draftnightsuit » Sat May 20, 2017 9:37 pm

Dennis 37 wrote:

To use what happened on the 70's is rIdiculous. There were three US networks plus PBS. Having to fit NFL, MLB, Wide World of Sports, NHL etc and then find space for the NBA meant ones favourite NBA team would be on TV how many times, broadcast over what range?

Today, when every game is available for fans to watch, and people bitch when they can't get a preseason game, is a totally different story. While there are those who bandwagon the star teams, I'm not one of them. I've stopped watching this year, because there isn't even a chance of a Cinderella team surprising people and getting by GSW or Cleveland. I don't think I've been interested in games this deep in the playoffs since Sacramento and Phoenix were cheated.

Parity would keep my eye on the game, even after my team was out, because I could say to myself, my team is not far away from the finals teams. I'll watch to see what they do, that my team doesn't. But what's the use, my team can't duplicate what they do, the gap is too large.

This isn't college. If you want a "Cinderella story" go watch March Marchess.

At the highest level, the best players dominate and the best teams win. That's how it's always been and that's how it will always be. It wasn't a problem in the '80s and it's not a problem now, the only difference is that now we have the Internet so people sit around and make up problems to pontificate on.
Papi_swav
General Manager
And1: 4,241

Post#20 » by Papi_swav » Sat May 20, 2017 10:11 pm

Well he should be concern, because if this same crap happens next year, NBA will lose me as a fan for a couple of years until that hype dies down and I'm sure I'm not the only one that feels this way.

Return to Wiretap Discussion