Adam Silver: We're Going To Celebrate Excellent In NBA

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Adam Silver: We're Going To Celebrate Excellent In NBA 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:55 am

With the Golden State Warriors and Cleveland Cavaliers meeting in The Finals for the third straight season and Kevin Durant seemingly tilt the balance of power entirely, Adam Silver was asked about what fans of the other teams should consider about the current state of the BNA.

"I love competition too, but we're going to celebrate excellence in this league," said Silver. "The notion is that teams will double down on their efforts. They're going to draft well, they're going to trade well. They're going to develop their own players and they're going to compete.

"It's always been the nature of this game that you're going to have dominant teams. There's this notion somehow that talent is completely static, that teams don't get better, that players don't get better, I think makes no sense. There's this long history of great competition in this league."

Silver said there's other issues with player development that the NBA needs to address.

Via Marc Stein/ESPN

ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,203

Re: Adam Silver: We're Going To Celebrate Excellent In NBA 

Post#2 » by ThunderBolt » Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:38 am

He's trying hard to sell fans on something that doesn't exist-equality.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
histeria36
Ballboy
And1: 20

Post#3 » by histeria36 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 2:38 am

Gotta love the BNA
ChokeFasncists
RealGM
And1: 1,501

Post#4 » by ChokeFasncists » Sat Jun 10, 2017 4:13 am

Team fans suffer, casual fans excited
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
hyberx
Starter
And1: 384

Post#5 » by hyberx » Sat Jun 10, 2017 4:17 am

Hey, look, right after the Silver talk, Cavs won to prove there is good parity in the league. Cavs were given 20 FTs just in the 1st quarter, that's how much you get for a whole game. Then they nicely even it out when the game is out of reach. See, parity, lol.
spikeslovechild
RealGM
And1: 5,990

Post#6 » by spikeslovechild » Sat Jun 10, 2017 4:48 pm

Yeah, the same way Real Madrid and Barcelona are excellent in La Liga. Peddle your lies elsewhere Silver.
Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,633

Post#7 » by Psubs » Sat Jun 10, 2017 5:56 pm

spikeslovechild wrote:Yeah, the same way Real Madrid and Barcelona are excellent in La Liga. Peddle your lies elsewhere Silver.

Exactly. The league screwed up by no raising the cap more evenly over more years. :evil:

The whole regular season was pretty boring, even though Boston stole the #1 seed in the East, Cleveland had destroyed them in the last few weeks of the season. I already knew that the Raptors were going to be a top 5 team in the east easily making the playoffs and wouldn't make it past Cleveland. Though the trades for Tucker and Ibaka gave a little bit of hope. I think I went to see 2 regular season games and sold the rest. The playoffs were okay but was it ever not going to be Cleveland losing to Golden State?
nguyen925
Sophomore
And1: 13

Post#8 » by nguyen925 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:08 pm

Clearly Silver is speaking in regards to there being two dominant teams on opposite conferences not the fact that the West has been stronger than the West (past the top 2 seeds in the East).

Honestly I've been following the NBA since 02-03 religiously and it seems there's pretty much only one team that makes it out of the East continuously while the West has been developing their depth in stronger teams. Now that Durant's with GSW, if they win this year I will be less interested in how the regular season shapes out.

The East has nearly always been dominated by one or two teams (Nets, Celtics, Cleveland, Heat, Pistons) while there was still some resemblance of competition in the West (up until GSW the last season or 2). If the NBA is going to continue to allow players to sign with whomever team they wish (which rightfully they should, but still make attempts to prevent players from doing so..) they should really start thinking about getting rid of Conferences when it comes to the playoffs. It's pretty pathetic how dominant the West is compared to the East if you compare the win %.

Make it overall win % and stop letting weak Eastern Conference teams sneak into the playoffs WHILE getting a top 15 draft pick. What sense does that make?
Darthlukey
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 3,148

Post#9 » by Darthlukey » Sun Jun 11, 2017 2:01 am

Psubs wrote:
spikeslovechild wrote:Yeah, the same way Real Madrid and Barcelona are excellent in La Liga. Peddle your lies elsewhere Silver.

Exactly. The league screwed up by no raising the cap more evenly over more years. :evil:

The whole regular season was pretty boring, even though Boston stole the #1 seed in the East, Cleveland had destroyed them in the last few weeks of the season. I already knew that the Raptors were going to be a top 5 team in the east easily making the playoffs and wouldn't make it past Cleveland. Though the trades for Tucker and Ibaka gave a little bit of hope. I think I went to see 2 regular season games and sold the rest. The playoffs were okay but was it ever not going to be Cleveland losing to Golden State?

The league wanted to raise the cap smoothly. The players union balked at the idea
totalrekall
Senior
And1: 49

Post#10 » by totalrekall » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:55 am

how can great competition exist in a league that fixes games?
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#11 » by The_Hater » Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:49 pm

Nice job proof reading the title RGM.....
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.

Return to Wiretap Discussion