Blake Griffin To Agree Upon Five-Year, $173M Contract With Clippers

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Blake Griffin To Agree Upon Five-Year, $173M Contract With Clippers 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Sat Jul 1, 2017 1:28 am

Blake Griffin plans on signing a five-year, $173 million contract with the Los Angeles Clippers.

Griffin canceled meetings with the Phoenix Suns and Denver Nuggets.

Via Shams Charania/The Vertical

Elnegron
Rookie
And1: 366

Re: Blake Griffin To Agree Upon Five-Year, $173M Contract With Clippers 

Post#2 » by Elnegron » Sat Jul 1, 2017 1:36 am

Lots of money for a guy that can't train till December
Sam195
Analyst
And1: 310

Post#3 » by Sam195 » Sat Jul 1, 2017 1:41 am

Blake wants to be melo of la - god bless him. Take the money and run son - oh i forgot your injured. Blake is never going to win and will slip into irrelevancy like former clipper star elton brand. Like melo - griffin will be well known in his market for his personality more so than his game - rest of the league he will be known as the star who can never win.
FMX
Freshman
And1: 41

Post#4 » by FMX » Sat Jul 1, 2017 1:44 am

35 million for a guy that cant be the man and cant stay healthy.
EdAram21
Freshman
And1: 2

Post#5 » by EdAram21 » Sat Jul 1, 2017 1:49 am

I hope he balls out this upcoming year. Have a Westbrook like season and go nuts, if he can stay healthy. That's a pretty huge "if" tho.
imDatknicksTape
Pro Prospect
And1: 361

Post#6 » by imDatknicksTape » Sat Jul 1, 2017 1:54 am

Sam195 wrote:Blake wants to be melo of la - god bless him. Take the money and run son - oh i forgot your injured. Blake is never going to win and will slip into irrelevancy like former clipper star elton brand. Like melo - griffin will be well known in his market for his personality more so than his game - rest of the league he will be known as the star who can never win.

except melo has taken his team to playoffs the first ten years of his career to the best of his ability. Dont compare melo to BG again. Melo never got to play for a player like CP3 caliber in his prime nor a great coach like doc. so BG has had plenty of opportunities hes just injury prone
cw3k
Bench Warmer
And1: 503

Post#7 » by cw3k » Sat Jul 1, 2017 2:48 am

imDatknicksTape wrote:
Sam195 wrote:Blake wants to be melo of la - god bless him. Take the money and run son - oh i forgot your injured. Blake is never going to win and will slip into irrelevancy like former clipper star elton brand. Like melo - griffin will be well known in his market for his personality more so than his game - rest of the league he will be known as the star who can never win.

except melo has taken his team to playoffs the first ten years of his career to the best of his ability. Dont compare melo to BG again. Melo never got to play for a player like CP3 caliber in his prime nor a great coach like doc. so BG has had plenty of opportunities hes just injury prone

Melo forced out any half decent players Knicks have. In the matter of face, no players played with Melo has improved, stats went to trash.

Melo has never takes the Knicks to the playoff himself.

On 2011-2012, it was Lin that saved the Knicks season

On 2012-2013, it was Kidd's leaderships that got the Knicks to playoff.

Melo has done absolutely nothing for the Knicks since Kidd left.
Beethoven
Head Coach
And1: 3,832

Post#8 » by Beethoven » Sat Jul 1, 2017 3:21 am

Wow...

too much money , way overpriced
Kobe Bryant forever
GO LAKERS
8-)
Adam Stern
Sixth Man
And1: 1,767

Post#9 » by Adam Stern » Sat Jul 1, 2017 3:36 am

Show me the money!!! :lol:
BigTex
Senior
And1: 79

Post#10 » by BigTex » Sat Jul 1, 2017 4:07 am

Absolutely THE correct decision by Griffin. Not sure what the Clips were thinking. Maybe someone else would have paid him that, but if they believed that, they should have traded him at the deadline in 2016, if not this year. Nithungwirse than overpaying for mediocrity. And that's what they'll be, even if Griffin is reasonably healthy.
nicholas88
Sophomore
And1: 20

Post#11 » by nicholas88 » Sat Jul 1, 2017 4:14 am

Thank God, it was somebody else than the Phoenix Suns.

M. Chriss, is already more productive than Griffin. Proof is the up-coming statistics. And, not including the $173 million contract.
Cookin Baskets
Sixth Man
And1: 265

Post#12 » by Cookin Baskets » Sat Jul 1, 2017 4:19 am

Clippers should have gone in another direction without Chris Paul this year and let Griffin go as well. Blake Griffin recieved a huge pay day and this will probably bite the clippers starting around year 3 of that contract cause of injuries I think.
I don't think I Trust The Process anymore! :banghead:
We are the originals! We are the Philadelphia 76ers!
totalrekall
Senior
And1: 49

Post#13 » by totalrekall » Sat Jul 1, 2017 4:45 am

totally understandable move by the Clippers. they dont want to return to the doormat of the NBA. they were going to have a very difficult time signing FAs if they didnt have a "star" player. Griffin keeps fans coming to games even if he isnt a superstar. I personally wouldnt be comfortable giving him all that money but the alternative could be really bad. what were their options? any other stars coming to this team after CP3 and Blake leave?
Clemenza
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,223

Post#14 » by Clemenza » Sat Jul 1, 2017 5:46 am

imDatknicksTape wrote:

Huh? :noway:
Future Coach
Assistant Coach
And1: 468

Post#15 » by Future Coach » Sat Jul 1, 2017 5:52 am

nicholas88 wrote:Thank God, it was somebody else than the Phoenix Suns.

M. Chriss, is already more productive than Griffin. Proof is the up-coming statistics. And, not including the $173 million contract.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I agree it would have been a bad move for the Suns. In some ways he is a bit of an Amar'e clone, so he would sell jerseys, but they wouldn't win anything worthwhile. Plus, as you said, Chriss has some potential.

But you can't say someone is already more productive, and then point to the future as proof. That is not how providing proof works. And/or that isn't how the word "already" is meant to be used.

Return to Wiretap Discussion