Joel Embiid Fined $10,000 By NBA For Inappropriate Language On Social Media

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

Joel Embiid Fined $10,000 By NBA For Inappropriate Language On Social Media 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Sat Jul 8, 2017 9:12 pm

Joel Embiid has been fined $10,000 by the NBA for using inappropriate language on social media.

Via RealGM Staff Report

Sam195
Analyst
And1: 310

Re: Joel Embiid Fined $10,000 By NBA For Inappropriate Language On Social Media 

Post#2 » by Sam195 » Sat Jul 8, 2017 9:18 pm

Lol Lavar is right about Embid. Embid sat out two seasons - he could have enrolled in college in Philly and probably have a degree by now. I think that was actually said by one of the Philly minority owners back when they though he way Bynum 2.0. Embid skipped rehab appointments and chugged shirley temples. Now he's shown he can play but can he stay healthy. Greg Oden even had a few great games his early days in Portland but he couldn't stay on the court longer than a few weeks.
76thBearCub
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,718

Post#3 » by 76thBearCub » Sat Jul 8, 2017 9:28 pm

Sam195 wrote: Embid sat out two seasons - he could have enrolled in college in Philly and probably have a degree by now. I think that was actually said by one of the Philly minority owners .

I think not.
kenwood3333
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,195

Post#4 » by kenwood3333 » Sat Jul 8, 2017 9:30 pm

If Lavar ball say something inappropriate will his son gets the fine?
JellosJigglin
RealGM
And1: 9,400

Post#5 » by JellosJigglin » Sat Jul 8, 2017 9:32 pm

76thBearCub wrote:
Sam195 wrote: Embid sat out two seasons - he could have enrolled in college in Philly and probably have a degree by now. I think that was actually said by one of the Philly minority owners .

I think not.

An Associates Degree perhaps. It's something. Better than tweeting nonsense all day.
RIP BASKETBALL REASONS (DEC 8TH 2011 - OCT 11TH 2020)
eureca20
Junior
And1: 81

Post#6 » by eureca20 » Sat Jul 8, 2017 9:34 pm

kenwood3333 wrote:If Lavar ball say something inappropriate will his son gets the fine?

Um no. Just like you and me LaVar Ball is not under NBA contract.
76thBearCub
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,718

Post#7 » by 76thBearCub » Sat Jul 8, 2017 9:37 pm

JellosJigglin wrote:
76thBearCub wrote:

I think not.

An Associates Degree perhaps. It's something. Better than tweeting nonsense all day.

Lol.
IAMZOOTED
Pro Prospect
And1: 99

Post#8 » by IAMZOOTED » Sat Jul 8, 2017 9:39 pm

Sam195 wrote:Lol Lavar is right about Embid. Embid sat out two seasons - he could have enrolled in college in Philly and probably have a degree by now. I think that was actually said by one of the Philly minority owners back when they though he way Bynum 2.0. Embid skipped rehab appointments and chugged shirley temples. Now he's shown he can play but can he stay healthy. Greg Oden even had a few great games his early days in Portland but he couldn't stay on the court longer than a few weeks.

What he did over his 31 games last season is more impressive than what ball will do in however many games he plays this year.

And lavar is saying embiid is dumb and has no vocabulary, doesn't embiid speak three languages? I wonder how many lavar speaks. Lavar struggles with counting
dan-man wrote:These guys are EASILY the second best team in the NBA. Time to figure out how to keep all these awful Eastern Conference teams out of the playoffs.

^ After the Timberwolves signed Jamal Crawford.
IAMZOOTED
Pro Prospect
And1: 99

Post#9 » by IAMZOOTED » Sat Jul 8, 2017 9:50 pm

JellosJigglin wrote:
76thBearCub wrote:

I think not.

And an associates degree would be very useful for him.
dan-man wrote:These guys are EASILY the second best team in the NBA. Time to figure out how to keep all these awful Eastern Conference teams out of the playoffs.

^ After the Timberwolves signed Jamal Crawford.
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,933

Post#10 » by basketballwacko2 » Sat Jul 8, 2017 10:19 pm

Lavar said, "He don't got no intellect!" :lol:
JCruz6
Junior
And1: 20

Post#11 » by JCruz6 » Sat Jul 8, 2017 10:25 pm

So you don't have the freedom of speech if you play in the NBA?
youblewwit
Sophomore
And1: 10

Post#12 » by youblewwit » Sat Jul 8, 2017 10:43 pm

JCruz6 wrote:So you don't have the freedom of speech if you play in the NBA?

Do you have freedom of speech where you work?
SixthFan
Freshman
And1: 24

Post#13 » by SixthFan » Sat Jul 8, 2017 11:08 pm

Sam195 wrote:Lol Lavar is right about Embid. Embid sat out two seasons - he could have enrolled in college in Philly and probably have a degree by now. I think that was actually said by one of the Philly minority owners back when they though he way Bynum 2.0. Embid skipped rehab appointments and chugged shirley temples. Now he's shown he can play but can he stay healthy. Greg Oden even had a few great games his early days in Portland but he couldn't stay on the court longer than a few weeks.

This is dumb. He is extremely hardworking and is making way more money than you. Why don't you have 20 degrees you lazy ****. You won't see his yearly salary if you work at your dead end job all your life.
JCruz6
Junior

Post#14 » by JCruz6 » Sat Jul 8, 2017 11:10 pm

youblewwit wrote:

Don't remember getting fined last time I made a comment.
E-Balla
RealGM
And1: 24,418
Location: The Poster Formerly Known As The Gotham City Pantalones

Post#15 » by E-Balla » Sat Jul 8, 2017 11:12 pm

youblewwit wrote:

Freedom of speech isn't freedom of consequences.
JCruz6
Junior

Post#16 » by JCruz6 » Sat Jul 8, 2017 11:15 pm

E-Balla wrote:
youblewwit wrote:

Why is there a consequence for saying you don't like some civilian?
Not a player, team or member of any organization.

So if any players talks about someone other players mom it's going to be a fine? GTFO.

If this isn't the strongest metaphor for how soft the league has become I don't know what is.
E-Balla
RealGM

Post#17 » by E-Balla » Sat Jul 8, 2017 11:20 pm

JCruz6 wrote:
E-Balla wrote:
youblewwit wrote:

So if any players talks about someone other players mom it's going to be a fine? GTFO.

If this isn't the strongest metaphor for how soft the league has become I don't know what is.

Look I'm not speaking on whether or not the league is soft but if I said eff (random coworker's dad) on social media and my boss saw it there'd be an issue.
JCruz6
Junior

Post#18 » by JCruz6 » Sat Jul 8, 2017 11:29 pm

E-Balla wrote:
JCruz6 wrote:
E-Balla wrote:Freedom of speech isn't freedom of consequences.

Look I'm not speaking on whether or not the league is soft but if I said eff (random coworker's dad) on social media and my boss saw it there'd be an issue.

I get the angle you're trying to get at, but this wasn't a "coworker" it was a player on another team, not a team mate.
so more so if you said eff (a random person in different building or sector which you have no business with) why would your teammates or your sector care?

I get social media is changing how the industry works, but if I can't have my personal opinion on my personal accounts on my personal time, then that isn't cool and my job shouldn't have any say in that. If he was in a game or during practice (WE TALKIN' BOUT PRACTICE!) then maybe because you're representing the team and I can see that angle, but if it's on his own down time, so the eff what?
E-Balla
RealGM

Post#19 » by E-Balla » Sat Jul 8, 2017 11:41 pm

JCruz6 wrote:
E-Balla wrote:
JCruz6 wrote:

I get the angle you're trying to get at, but this wasn't a "coworker" it was a player on another team, not a team mate.
so more so if you said eff (a random person in different building or sector which you have no business with) why would your teammates or your sector care?

I work for a major company so this applies across buildings and even countries. If I did something like that on video and my VP saw it (and the VP knows who I am personally) he'd definitely tell my manager to have a word with me. All players are employees of the NBA and Lonzo is a coworker even if he's on another team. That's not acceptable for the work place

I get social media is changing how the industry works, but if I can't have my personal opinion on my personal accounts on my personal time, then that isn't cool and my job shouldn't have any say in that. If he was in a game or during practice (WE TALKIN' BOUT PRACTICE!) then maybe because you're representing the team and I can see that angle, but if it's on his own down time, so the eff what?

Whether or not you think it should be your social media accounts are an extension of you. Employers look at social media accounts before even hiring people now (which makes me happy I gave up social media in 2011). Social media isn't private and you shouldn't have the expectations that it is. Its public and if anyone can see something you put that makes your employer take some heat it will be taken care of.

For example I was just in a thread on the PC board about CNN not releasing the name of some racist troll on the internet but if they did release his name I'd 100% expect him to be fired based on the crap he was saying online.
Sam195
Analyst
And1: 310

Post#20 » by Sam195 » Sun Jul 9, 2017 12:43 am

SixthFan wrote:

This is dumb. He is extremely hardworking and is making way more money than you. Why don't you have 20 degrees you lazy ****. You won't see his yearly salary if you work at your dead end job all your life.

you dip sh**. The point was he was not maximizing either his physical or intellectual potential the last two years he sat out like other posters agree all he did was tweet nonsense and ruffle feathers with celebrities. Ben Simmons is similar he apparently dropped out of college not going to class once his team didn't qualify for the ncaa tournament. Markelle Fultz at least said he always wanted to be an nba player and went to college but took the schooling seriously as well. He studied business because he said I want to learn to manage/invest my own money. He said he may even consider going back to school in offseasons if possible or finishing his degree post-nba career. A player doesn't have to be a genius academically but they should at least maximize the availability of the time and opportunities presented to them. This is the reasoning Adam Silver is promoting to potentially change the 1 and done rule so players can enter the g-league directly out of hs to play with inferior talent or commit to two seasons in the ncaa to get the media exposure and attention to increase their draft stock and marketability once they choose to enter the nba.

Compare the careers of Curry and Rose. At their respective drafts - it's consensus Rose was the better talent and had the much better production early in his career topping it off by becoming the league's youngest mvp. Curry on the other hand dealt with major setbacks and multiple ankle surgeries in that time span but now is a 2-time mvp, 2-time champion, multiple all star and greatest shooter in nba history. Curry went to college for 3 years as well as during the 2011 lockout. Curry has been on record he will complete his degree at some point in order to get his jersey retired at Davidson because of their rule that only graduating alumni regardless of non-graduate's accomplishments are the ones that deserve that privilege.

Rose on the other hand had enough smoke to prove he cheated on his SATS which vacated his college season at Memphis. The accountability a young athlete displays in school is a very good sign about how he will display effort and perseverance in his playing career. Rose lacks that to pair with his talent and is likely a major reason he can't rehab his body and skill to levels they once were early in his career while Curry has greatly improved his game physically and mentally after navigating through similar rehab stints. Damian Lillard and Tim Duncan are also two more fantastic examples of college graduated nba players who dominated the league. There is a lot more. I'm no lover of school like most kids and athletes but I'm a lover of maximizing any opportunity that is provided to me. Most of these nba players go to the ncaa with free rides and choice of college major so why don't they select something to study they like or something that enhances their experience as a pro athlete. A playing career can only last so long while a properly obtained and recognized education lasts forever - no bad knees and ankles or off court issues can take that away from you.

Return to Wiretap Discussion