Cavs, Celtics Discussing Kyrie Irving For Isaiah Thomas Trade

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

Cavs, Celtics Discussing Kyrie Irving For Isaiah Thomas Trade 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:02 pm

The Cleveland Cavaliers and Boston Celtics are engaged in active trade talks centered around Kyrie Irving for Isaiah Thomas.

Irving requested a trade from the Cavaliers in July.

Via Shams Charania/The Vertical

tocooks101
Senior
And1: 429

Re: Cavs, Celtics Discussing Kyrie Irving For Isaiah Thomas Trade 

Post#2 » by tocooks101 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:20 pm

A mistake for Clevland
Evolution999
Junior
And1: 93

Post#3 » by Evolution999 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:22 pm

Leverage to get Phoenix and New York to sweeten their offers, Cavs can't be this stupid to do this trade with the Cs
Clippers4Life
Ballboy
And1: 3

Post#4 » by Clippers4Life » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:25 pm

tocooks101 wrote:A mistake for Clevland

Cavs aren't that stupid to trade away Kyrie to their conference rivals. This is just talks and getting NY and PHO to maybe offer more pieces now. Cavs playing it smart.
Cormag001
Pro Prospect
And1: 288

Post#5 » by Cormag001 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:28 pm

Read on Twitter
DoItALL9
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,272

Post#6 » by DoItALL9 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:35 pm

Boston should make them throw in Love for Horford!

Sent from my LG-H872 using RealGM mobile app
ChokeFasncists
RealGM
And1: 1,501

Post#7 » by ChokeFasncists » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:38 pm

Trade Ainge finally gets his wish!!!

Unload all his assets!
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
IAMZOOTED
Pro Prospect
And1: 99

Post#8 » by IAMZOOTED » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:46 pm

DoItALL9 wrote:Boston should make them throw in Love for Horford!

Lol Cleveland doesn't need to add anything to this, if anything Boston does.
dan-man wrote:These guys are EASILY the second best team in the NBA. Time to figure out how to keep all these awful Eastern Conference teams out of the playoffs.

^ After the Timberwolves signed Jamal Crawford.
DoItALL9
Lead Assistant

Re: RE: Re: Cavs, Celtics Discussing Kyrie Irving For Isaiah Thomas Trade 

Post#9 » by DoItALL9 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:48 pm

IAMZOOTED wrote:

I understand your point but if you're Cleveland and truly thinking about GSW I believe Horford helps you more in that matchup than Love.
DoItALL9
Lead Assistant

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Cavs, Celtics Discussing Kyrie Irving For Isaiah Thomas Trade 

Post#10 » by DoItALL9 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:49 pm

DoItALL9 wrote:
IAMZOOTED wrote:

I understand your point but if you're Cleveland and truly thinking about GSW I believe Horford helps you more in that matchup than Love.

If you think Cleveland is giving too much then maybe add in Shumpert for Smart and a pretty good pick to balance things.
DoItALL9
Lead Assistant

Post#11 » by DoItALL9 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:50 pm

IAMZOOTED wrote:

Love helps Boston more consistently spread the floor and\or rebound which they struggled mightily with recently.
nedleeds
General Manager
And1: 7,664

Post#12 » by nedleeds » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:07 pm

Thank Christ.

- Knicks Fans
Chanel Bomber wrote:I'm not coming back. This is my last song, and it sheets over your whole career. Go Knicks though.
Bobalob
Bench Warmer
And1: 882

Post#13 » by Bobalob » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:07 pm

Called it lol Wish I could find my post. It makes sense.

IT and Crowder helps Cleveland win now.

If you're Boston you assume you A) Can't beat Lebron, and B) Lebron is out after this year anyway

So Boston doesn't fear making this trade wth their biggest foe. Bc It or Bron probably won't be there next year

Now if Cleveland somehow keeps Lebron and they settle in, and IT resigns on a 3 year max deal in Cleveland? AND they have a Celts pick in the pocket? Oh this could backfire for Boston
Bobalob
Bench Warmer
And1: 882

Post#14 » by Bobalob » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:11 pm

So after all the dust settles, Ainge's big haul =

Kyrie
Hayward
Brown
Tatum
Horford

Well. Look how powerful Lebron is!? Lmao Ainge backed ALL the way down at competing right away and is locked in to the '5 years from now' plan

Now everything hinges on the Nets and Sixers picks. Bc honestly I'm not impressed. George or Boogie would have been better gets. Everything changes if they net a Ayton, Bagley, or Porter
Fidel Sarcasmo
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,073

Post#15 » by Fidel Sarcasmo » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:14 pm

Evolution999 wrote:Leverage to get Phoenix and New York to sweeten their offers, Cavs can't be this stupid to do this trade with the Cs

It's not this simple. The Cavs would love to pry J Jackson away from Phoenix or The Unicorn away from NY, but if they're not offering them in return, it's probably because Kyrie is telling Phoenix's reps he's not going to re-up with them. And NY would just flat out not give away KP in any trade regardless. Kyrie loves San Antonio, but SA has nothing in the cupboard to give. And the reality is, Lebron may and likely will leave cleveland next year. That rivalry is dead as Phuq if he leaves after next year. But if they get a guy who was fifth in MVP voting and will take the max from Cleveland regardless if Lebron leaves or not next year, at least Cleveland has a killer on offense in IT, whose honestly unguardable on offense for large portions of every game. Oh, and make no mistake, he's super freaking efficient on offense. If he held the ball as much as Harden and Westbrook do per possession, he'd be projected to score 35 per game. He doesn't hold onto the ball, he makes the right pass and keeps it moving.
axeman23
Analyst
And1: 3,080

Post#16 » by axeman23 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:16 pm

DoItALL9 wrote:
IAMZOOTED wrote:

Cavs need to GET to that matchup first, which I'm not sure the first trade helps, and adding Love for Horford DEFINATELY doesn't help. As far as Horford providing more vs GS, I don't see it myself, but if he does it still won't be enough to topple GS. The picks (plural, not a single pick) interest me for the future, but first priority is keeping Lebron, and keeping him happy.
ArtistNBA
Junior
And1: 98

Post#17 » by ArtistNBA » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:37 pm

Celtics officially became the East best team for at least 7 more years WOW
Stay Classy my friend
Howard Mass
Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 15,625

Post#18 » by Howard Mass » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:44 pm

I want to see what the picks are but I think this is a bad move for Cleveland as it makes Boston stronger and leaves Cleveland with the
dilemma of paying Isaiah Thomas next summer.

Thomas' hip is a real concern and I would not take this chance if I was Cleveland.

If they are doing this, it means they know LeBron is gone after this season.

My hope is they are at least some of the good picks.

This move puts Boston in the driver's seat for The East this season and a few more.
R.I.P. Dharam Raghubir (A.K.A. Magnumt)

:beer:
DoItALL9
Lead Assistant

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Cavs, Celtics Discussing Kyrie Irving For Isaiah Thomas Trade 

Post#19 » by DoItALL9 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:03 am

axeman23 wrote:
DoItALL9 wrote:
IAMZOOTED wrote:

Cavs need to GET to that matchup first, which I'm not sure the first trade helps, and adding Love for Horford DEFINATELY doesn't help. As far as Horford providing more vs GS, I don't see it myself, but if he does it still won't be enough to topple GS. The picks (plural, not a single pick) interest me for the future, but first priority is keeping Lebron, and keeping him happy.

Agreed I don't think either of those trades help them get there but I think that Horford helps them more once they are there because love is sometimes borderline unplayable because he's not good on defense

The draft picks are definitely a good haul

I don't think they can keep LeBron happy he's leaving at the end of the year in my opinion
johnnyballgame
Senior
And1: 76

Post#20 » by johnnyballgame » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:17 am

Howard Mass wrote:This move puts Boston in the driver's seat for The East this season and a few more.

I'm not a fan of acquiring Isaiah Thomas for reasons you mention and others, but how do you think Boston would suddenly be better than the Cavs? The Cavs would have LeBron, Isaiah, Love, Rose, Korver, Smith, Thompson, Crowder, Green, Osman, Frye, Jefferson, probably Wade after a buyout near the deadline and picks from Boston to help them acquire the next good available player... possibly even George again. OKC doesn't have that much invested they couldn't flip him for more than they gave up and they are just that kind of forward thinking team. If not George, someone good... if GS is as good as everyone saying, few teams have reason to attempt to compete for the next two seasons and many, many teams have good reason to let go of guys like Marc Gasol and get picks now.

But the Cavs would be far, far deeper than Boston and Tatum and Brown are far from proven in the much larger roles this would give them.
Kyrie most of the time when he shoots starts with the ball and then dribbles a while then shoots. -statistical analysis from a 'longtime' Cavs fan (June 2017)

Return to Wiretap Discussion