Jared Sullinger Discussing Deal With Nets

Moderators: Domejandro, bwgood77

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 291

Jared Sullinger Discussing Deal With Nets 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:56 pm

Jared Sullinger and the Brooklyn Nets are discussing a deal.

Sullinger posted for a photo wearing Nets gear with D'Angelo Russell from their team's practice facility on Tuesday.

"I'm a big fan of the coach (Kenny Atkinson)," agent David Falk said. "He's a great motivator, and they have a great facility.

"(Sullinger) is a talented big man and we're looking into an opportunity."

The Nets have an open roster spot.

Sullinger played 11 games last season with the Toronto Raptors before undergoing foot surgery. Sullinger was waived by the Phoenix Suns following a deadline move.

Via Stefan Bondy/New York Daily News

Donnyxc
Starter
And1: 247

Re: Jared Sullinger Discussing Deal With Nets 

Post#2 » by Donnyxc » Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:29 pm

Bad news for the Nets 2018 pick
"If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save a game I'd choose Michael Jordan; If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save my life...I'd take Larry Bird." - Pat Riley
ecuhus1981
RealGM
And1: 1,423

Post#3 » by ecuhus1981 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:37 pm

As a Nets fan, I'm excited about this potential low-key FA deal. Sully can slide between the 4 and 5, and can rebound, space the floor and even create for others. We have capspace to give him decent money, but with his conditioning / injury concerns I hope we don't guarantee much long-term cash. I was holding out hope for Mirotic so we could make Trevor a supersub, but this'll do.

Russell, Crabbe, Carroll, Booker, Mozgov
Lin, LeVert, Jefferson, {Sullinger}, Allen
Some people really have a way with words. Other people... not... have... way.
-- Steve Martin
ontnut
RealGM
And1: 7,986

Post#4 » by ontnut » Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:55 pm

Raps/Celts fans like, "Go for it, teehee."
ontnut
RealGM

Post#5 » by ontnut » Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:56 pm

ecuhus1981 wrote:As a Nets fan, I'm excited about this potential low-key FA deal. Sully can slide between the 4 and 5, and can rebound, space the floor and even create for others. We have capspace to give him decent money, but with his conditioning / injury concerns I hope we don't guarantee much long-term cash. I was holding out hope for Mirotic so we could make Trevor a supersub, but this'll do.

Dude was unplayable, despite a need for the Raps at the 4 last year.
-7.5BPM...
ChokeFasncists
RealGM
And1: 1,501

Post#6 » by ChokeFasncists » Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:31 pm

ecuhus1981 wrote:As a Nets fan, I'm excited about this potential low-key FA deal. Sully can slide between the 4 and 5, and can rebound, space the floor and even create for others. We have capspace to give him decent money, but with his conditioning / injury concerns I hope we don't guarantee much long-term cash. I was holding out hope for Mirotic so we could make Trevor a supersub, but this'll do.

I don't think there's going back, RHJ will only play PF, probably starting, Booker will come off the bench where he played well towards the end of last season. (supersub?) Lin is starting for sure. DMC if he starts will be at the 4, most likely come off the bench. DRuss is gonna mainly play SG. The big question is which two of the three of LeVert, DRuss and Crabbe will start.

Seems like the main problem with Sullinger is his weight? Him not being able to shoot threes is a minus nowadays. He's on the verge of being out of the league, I can't imagine him being paid much. If most of the players are healthy I doubt he'll play much as well. Looks like this more than anything else is to add depth, keep the capspace, hope that he'll get his weight down and become another asset.
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
ChokeFasncists
RealGM

Post#7 » by ChokeFasncists » Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:32 pm

ontnut wrote:

-7.5BPM...

Just weight problem? Or something else?
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
jlokine
Analyst
And1: 3,934

Post#8 » by jlokine » Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:53 pm

haha that's what raptors fans thought when we first signed him... then he was injured in preseason, came back and sucked..
Lee in Oregon
Sophomore
And1: 41

Post#9 » by Lee in Oregon » Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:59 pm

The new Oliver Miller...
Throwback24
RealGM
And1: 41,651

Post#10 » by Throwback24 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:21 pm

ChokeFasncists wrote:
ontnut wrote:

-7.5BPM...

Raptor problem. No one told him to stop shooting.
Remember when’ is the lowest form of conversation.
tocooks101
Senior
And1: 429

Post#11 » by tocooks101 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:38 pm

Donnyxc wrote:Bad news for the Nets 2018 pick

great news for who ever has the Nets 2018 pick
Donnyxc
Starter
And1: 247

Post#12 » by Donnyxc » Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:19 am

tocooks101 wrote:

Oh, I meant it as the opposite. Sully's addition makes the pick worse.
"If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save a game I'd choose Michael Jordan; If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save my life...I'd take Larry Bird." - Pat Riley
oldjim
Sophomore
And1: 10

Post#13 » by oldjim » Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:17 am

ChokeFasncists wrote:

I don't think there's going back, RHJ will only play PF, probably starting, Booker will come off the bench where he played well towards the end of last season. (supersub?) Lin is starting for sure. DMC if he starts will be at the 4, most likely come off the bench. DRuss is gonna mainly play SG. The big question is which two of the three of LeVert, DRuss and Crabbe will start.

Seems like the main problem with Sullinger is his weight? Him not being able to shoot threes is a minus nowadays. He's on the verge of being out of the league, I can't imagine him being paid much. If most of the players are healthy I doubt he'll play much as well. Looks like this more than anything else is to add depth, keep the capspace, hope that he'll get his weight down and become another asset.

Lin and Crabbe surely will start, I hope LeVert will start also. DRuss play no defense and his offense was suck , if we start LeVert,he plays good on both O and D, we still have the chance to play in playoff, if we start DRuss , we will only struggle on the bottom just like last year's Laker.

DRuss still not a starter level player, he better come off from bench as a 6th player.
tocooks101
Senior
And1: 429

Post#14 » by tocooks101 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:28 pm

Donnyxc wrote:
tocooks101 wrote:

Oh, I meant it as the opposite. Sully's addition makes the pick worse.

I know what you meant
ontnut
RealGM

Post#15 » by ontnut » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:58 pm

Throwback24 wrote:
ChokeFasncists wrote:
ontnut wrote:Dude was unplayable, despite a need for the Raps at the 4 last year.
-7.5BPM...

Weight was a big part of it. He said he was coming in "in the best shape of his life", didn't turn out that way. Was terrible in the minutes he played. Slow, plodding, not active. Maybe part of it was the role, but we literally asked him to rebound, and get put backs. Couldn't do that.
He's just not in shape to play at this level now, and his skill set isn't one most teams really crave at this point.
Dr Huge Pecs
Senior
And1: 79

Post#16 » by Dr Huge Pecs » Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:46 pm

This is a bargain basement deal...smells of anthony Bennett last year... But just a little better. Maybe he can bounce back but no one is chasing him for a reason.

Not sure how you have Lin backing up Russell when Lin is the starting 1 and Russell's the starting 2... But I stopped trying figure out dlo fans.

Imo this is nothing to get too excited about but isnt a bad risk so long as it's vet min. 2 year team option.
macNcheese3
RealGM
And1: 6,915

Post#17 » by macNcheese3 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:02 pm

Worth a gamble if he can remain in shape and healthy
ChokeFasncists
RealGM

Post#18 » by ChokeFasncists » Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:38 am

ontnut wrote:
Throwback24 wrote:
ChokeFasncists wrote:Just weight problem? Or something else?

Weight was a big part of it. He said he was coming in "in the best shape of his life", didn't turn out that way. Was terrible in the minutes he played. Slow, plodding, not active. Maybe part of it was the role, but we literally asked him to rebound, and get put backs. Couldn't do that.
He's just not in shape to play at this level now, and his skill set isn't one most teams really crave at this point.

He'd better be in the best shape of his life now, otherwise he's out of the league for sure.
Thanks for the honesty.

Return to Wiretap Discussion