Stephen Curry Had Conversation With Kevin Durant After UA Criticism

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Stephen Curry Had Conversation With Kevin Durant After UA Criticism 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:40 pm

Stephen Curry had a conversation with Kevin Durant after the latter criticized Under Armour.

“Nobody wants to play in Under Armours,” said Durant on the Bill Simmons podcast.

Curry said he believed Durant’s recent statement about Under Armour did not “ring true at all.”

“This is nothing that is going to put a wrench in the locker room,” Curry said.

Curry listened to the podcast to understand the context.

“I told him that he has a certain opinion based on his experience growing up in the Nike business,” Curry said of Durant. “What that means when it comes to the competition among shoe brands and universities and the whole grassroots system and whatnot – he’s entitled to that opinion obviously. ... But when it comes to what I’m trying to do with Under Armour, and what the Curry brand means and what Under Armour basketball means, that statement does not ring true at all.”

Curry said there is a mutual respect between he and Durant when it comes to their endorsement deals.

“Nah. ... I understand how what we do and the team that we are and the success we’ve had, no matter what anybody says it’s going to be blowing up. ... Especially when it’s the opportunity to make it look (controversial). ... Like I said, it’s nothing that’s going to break up the locker room.”

Via Scott Fowler/Charlotte Observer

Black Jack
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,293

Re: Stephen Curry Had Conversation With Kevin Durant After UA Criticism 

Post#2 » by Black Jack » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:40 pm

in other words shut up Kevin :nonono:
Rest in peace Kobe & Gianna

my response to KD critics: https://tinyurl.com/tlgc6bf
Disinformation
Starter
And1: 3,076

Post#3 » by Disinformation » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:59 pm

And properly chastised, the beta boy put his tail between his legs and said "OK, Steph. Sorry."
Disinformation's Manifesto for the 2021 Offseason

It's a brave new world. No one knows what's going to happen, least of all me.
RickB-Orlando
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,336

Post#4 » by RickB-Orlando » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:02 pm

This highlights one of the problems with players - especially stars - in the NBA. They're just as concerned with sponsorships and their "brand" as they are with playing ball.
MegaK
Bench Warmer
And1: 133

Post#5 » by MegaK » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:09 pm

Durant should keeps this kind of stuff to himself. I think all kinds of things that i don't say out loud. That's what an inner monologue is for. If you make great shoes people will buy them and UA is following Nikes path to coercing people into buying their shoes by paying exciting athletes to endorse them. UA just forgot to make the shoes interesting to look at, a mistake that i am sure they will remedy in the future. Durant speaking his mind on this is for sure in the back of Currys mind now and sometimes all it takes is a thing like this to create a rift between team mates.
colaroaster
Sixth Man
And1: 796
Location: jp morgan, rockefellers, rothschild, vanderbilt, danny ainge

Post#6 » by colaroaster » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:12 pm

publicly traded companies generally don't like those types statements made known
ceo + board :banghead:
jp morgan, rockefellers, rothschild, vanderbilt, danny ainge
Frank Dux
Head Coach
And1: 9,256

Post#7 » by Frank Dux » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:07 pm

It's amazing how big Durant's head got over the past year. I mean come on dude, trashing Curry's endorsements after you join his established championship team? How much did Nike pay him to trash UA like that?

I hope Curry lit him up for that. You don't mess with a someone's main maker. Period.
Danny11
Rookie
And1: 817

Post#8 » by Danny11 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:17 pm

Free publicity for both Nike and UA. Both win
That's all these comments are.
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,744

Post#9 » by madmaxmedia » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:17 pm

It's really odd for KD to trash UA like that, considering that his teammate is UA's signature basketball athlete. If he made a comment about Adidas, it's not nearly as big a deal as there are plenty of athletes signed with Adidas. Plus, they're just sneakers.

Did anyone listen to the actual podcast, and could summarize what KD actually said? I'm somewhat curious, but not enough to listen to the whole podcast.
Caese
Sophomore
And1: 35

Post#10 » by Caese » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:45 pm

madmaxmedia wrote:It's really odd for KD to trash UA like that, considering that his teammate is UA's signature basketball athlete. If he made a comment about Adidas, it's not nearly as big a deal as there are plenty of athletes signed with Adidas. Plus, they're just sneakers.

Did anyone listen to the actual podcast, and could summarize what KD actually said? I'm somewhat curious, but not enough to listen to the whole podcast.

I heard the pod. BS was asking KD why he thinks the Maryland/DC prep stars don't stay in the area. KD replied saying its all about sneakers and the AAU camps/circuits. KD was basically making a point that Nike (and Adidas) have the prominent AAU programs/players, and since Maryland is a UA school, they have trouble getting those kids that have been under the non-UA brands. I don't think he once said UA is trash or their shoe is garbage....just said kids don't want to play in them.
shizzle
Junior
And1: 3

Post#11 » by shizzle » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:55 pm

This is just about respect. Being professional and respecting your team mates. Its a shame that KD has turned out to be such a dumb punk. He used to be my favourite player until he started to open his mouth. People like him who don't think should just focus on what they get paid for.
before there was hiphop, bling bling or Nike there was basketball...long live hoops.
eddie jerel
Sophomore
And1: 9

Post#12 » by eddie jerel » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:14 pm

Caese wrote:
madmaxmedia wrote:It's really odd for KD to trash UA like that, considering that his teammate is UA's signature basketball athlete. If he made a comment about Adidas, it's not nearly as big a deal as there are plenty of athletes signed with Adidas. Plus, they're just sneakers.

I heard the pod. BS was asking KD why he thinks the Maryland/DC prep stars don't stay in the area. KD replied saying its all about sneakers and the AAU camps/circuits. KD was basically making a point that Nike (and Adidas) have the prominent AAU programs/players, and since Maryland is a UA school, they have trouble getting those kids that have been under the non-UA brands. I don't think he once said UA is trash or their shoe is garbage....just said kids don't want to play in them.

While he was answering a question,he almost signed w/UA. They offered more $$$ and equity until Nike realized they couldn't lose another MVP to them. That's why i thought his comment was strange but not wrong
ChokeFasncists
RealGM
And1: 1,501

Post#13 » by ChokeFasncists » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:38 pm

That thing was definitely taken out of context.
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
haste10176
Bench Warmer
And1: 142

Post#14 » by haste10176 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:51 pm

I do not think people are creating controversy when your team mate bags your shoes... I think it is controversial.. Curry should at least get a little fired up about this and defend his brand a bit more..
jigga_man
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,124

Post#15 » by jigga_man » Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:17 am

Frank Dux wrote:It's amazing how big Durant's head got over the past year. I mean come on dude, trashing Curry's endorsements after you join his established championship team? How much did Nike pay him to trash UA like that?

I hope Curry lit him up for that. You don't mess with a someone's main maker. Period.

The 2016 NBA Champions Golden State Warriors?
Frank Dux
Head Coach
And1: 9,256

Post#16 » by Frank Dux » Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:34 am

jigga_man wrote:
Frank Dux wrote:It's amazing how big Durant's head got over the past year. I mean come on dude, trashing Curry's endorsements after you join his established championship team? How much did Nike pay him to trash UA like that?

2015, obviously.
Spintown
Starter
And1: 2,667

Post#17 » by Spintown » Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:36 am

Frank Dux wrote:
jigga_man wrote:

2015, obviously.

Ooooh you mean Iggy's Finals MVP championship team.
Spintown
Starter
And1: 2,667

Post#18 » by Spintown » Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:42 am

Disinformation wrote:And properly chastised, the beta boy put his tail between his legs and said "OK, Steph. Sorry."

Lol no he didn't. If anything it's more like Steph is the girlfriend who when someone brings up that her man is cheating on her she says " ya we had a conversation about it". This makes curry look like the beta one.
Sam195
Analyst
And1: 310

Post#19 » by Sam195 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:01 am

Under Armour is a brand for the soft that is why its called Under Armour. Curry wore Nike and Jordans all his life before they dumped him because of his injuries and UA signed him to the best shoe deal he could get at the time.
Caese
Sophomore
And1: 35

Post#20 » by Caese » Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:29 pm

Sam195 wrote:Under Armour is a brand for the soft that is why its called Under Armour. Curry wore Nike and Jordans all his life before they dumped him because of his injuries and UA signed him to the best shoe deal he could get at the time.

Dumped? lol

I'll just leave this here for you: http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/15047018/how-nike-lost-stephen-curry-armour

Return to Wiretap Discussion