David Ortiz: Red Sox Are In Good Hands

Moderator: TyCobb

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

David Ortiz: Red Sox Are In Good Hands 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Mon May 16, 2016 11:21 am

David Ortiz has been highly productive in what he says is his final season. Some have suggested he should reconsider retirement, but the 40-year-old says the Boston Red Sox are in good hands.

"We play every game like it is going to be the last," Ortiz said. "Continue coming in with the same approach. I'm super impressed by all of the young kids. They have a great future. I watch them and they are like a group of veterans."

Ortiz said the young stars have helped inspire his fast start.

“I just like watching all these young kids being so mature. Watching the way they handle their business is something that has been unbelievable this year," he said. "A guy like me, that's really good motivation. These kids are coming in and out every day, they just try to get better. It's something I love seeing."

Ortiz is hitting .320/.405/.695 with 10 home runs and 33 RBI in 34 games this season.

"We are talking about Mookie [Betts], Jackie [Bradley] and Xander [Bogaerts]," he said. "The A's catcher told me the other day that Bogaerts might be the best hitter in the game. He said that to me as I was walking to the plate. He got a two-strike base hit up the middle and he says that to me. When you hear things like that and think back to a guy who two years ago was trying to make it at the major league level. We are talking about guys in their 20s and not even in their mid-20s. The future is in good hands."

Via Tony Lee/ESPN

Return to Wiretap Headlines Discussion