The New Orleans Pelicans Most Likely Won't Experience Any Further Team Success This Season

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

Bears Release Jeremiah Ratliff, Sign Ziggy Hood 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Fri Oct 23, 2015 2:47 pm

The Chicago Bears released veteran defensive lineman Jeremiah Ratliff and signed defensive lineman Ziggy Hood, the team announced Thursday.

"We felt moving forward without Jeremiah was in the best interest of our team," Bears general manager Ryan Pace said in a prepared statement. "We appreciate his contributions and wish him well."

Ratliff, dressed in Bears warm-up clothes, and Pace were observed having an animated conversation in front of Halas Hall around 11:30 a.m. CT while the rest of the team was on the practice field. The exact nature of Ratliff and Pace's conversation is unknown, though sources told the Chicago Tribune that team officials judged that Ratliff arrived not in a condition to work. Two team security guards stood only a couple of feet away during the conversation.

A squad car from an area police department was seen patrolling the Halas Hall grounds at approximately 3 p.m.

The NFL suspended Ratliff for the first three games of the regular season for violating the league's substance abuse policy.

Via Jeff Dickerson/ESPN

Disabled Sports
Junior
And1: 711

The New Orleans Pelicans Most Likely Won't Experience Any Further Team Success This Season 

Post#2 » by Disabled Sports » Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:02 pm

Coming into this NBA season, many people within the NBA mainstream media are expecting the New Orleans Pelicans to take the next step in order for them to become permanent contenders in the near future. As last year Anthony Davis became one of the best players in the NBA and was able to carry the New Orleans Pelicans to the playoffs for the first time since 2010-11. But there is real possibility that the Pelicans aren’t going to be able to take that next step due to health concerns. When it comes to the Pelicans roster, most of their core players have been plagued with injures ever since they started playing for the Pelicans franchise. Two examples of this are Jure Holiday and Anthony Davis, Jure Holiday since being traded to the Pelicans two years ago has only played 45.1 percent of the Pelicans regular season games due to stress fractures in his lower right leg. On the hand, Anthony Davis has missed at least 15 games in each of his three season due to a number of injures which include sprained right shoulder, sprained MCL, fractured left hand and many other injures.

In order for the New Orleans Pelicans to take the next step under Alvin Gentry, Jure Holiday and Anthony Davis need to be on the floor for 80-85 percent of the Pelicans games. Due to the fact that Alvin Gentry’s offensive system has a good amount of pick and roll or pop between a big man and ball handing guard. For example the ball handing guard has the ball behind the three point line he called for a screen once the screen is set he goes over top of it if there is an open lane to the basket he will attack the basket if not the big man will roll if there is an open lane to the basket if his defender is defending the paint or trying to stop the ball handing guard from attacking the basket, he will pop for a mid range jumper or three pointer this is one of the reasons why Alvin Gentry told Davis to start shooting three pointers. Since Tyreke Evans will missed the first 6-8 weeks due to knee surgery, the Pelicans will need Holiday to stay healthy in order for this offense to run smoothly.

Ultimately Anthony Davis most likely wont be able to lead the Pelicans to any real team success unless the Pelicans are able to acquire another big time or he can stay healthy for full seasons. Even though the Pelicans signed Davis to 5 year / 145 million dollar extension this season the Pelicans may decided or be forced to trade Davis within the 2-3 seasons.
Read on Twitter
NZB2323
RealGM
And1: 7,713

Re: The New Orleans Pelicans Most Likely Won't Experience Any Further Team Success This Season 

Post#3 » by NZB2323 » Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:32 pm

I understand what you're saying, but Anthony Davis might be the best player in the NBA this season. Not top 10, not top 5, not top 3, #1. Not one of the best players, but THE best. With that said, I don't see the Pelicans winning a playoff series in the West.
Disabled Sports
Junior

Re: The New Orleans Pelicans Most Likely Won't Experience Any Further Team Success This Season 

Post#4 » by Disabled Sports » Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:43 pm

NZB2323 wrote:I understand what you're saying, but Anthony Davis might be the best player in the NBA this season. Not top 10, not top 5, not top 3, #1. Not one of the best players, but THE best. With that said, I don't see the Pelicans winning a playoff series in the West.

i agree with you but he's in the west missing 10-15 gms won't allow his team to get any better

Read on Twitter
bonbons
Pro Prospect
And1: 948

Post#5 » by bonbons » Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:48 pm

lol "Bears Release Jeremiah Ratliff, Sign Ziggy Hood" wiretap showing as first post for me.

Also even if they regress, they will never ever trade davis. The fan base would revolt.
Ballerhogger
RealGM
And1: 16,798

Post#6 » by Ballerhogger » Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:50 pm

They need 2 option or Davis needs have better 3 point shot . They need a guard who can defend and shoot .
Disabled Sports
Junior

Post#7 » by Disabled Sports » Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:52 pm

bonbons wrote:lol "Bears Release Jeremiah Ratliff, Sign Ziggy Hood" wiretap showing as first post for me.

Also even if they regress, they will never ever trade davis. The fan base would revolt.

i know that football post must be an error

Read on Twitter
TheUroborosWorm
Sixth Man
And1: 1,103

Post#8 » by TheUroborosWorm » Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:54 pm

this thread confuses me... now i am ded.
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM
And1: 28,365

Post#9 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:03 pm

They won't "experience any further team success" this season than when? Last year? When he played with a healthy time a ridiculously low number of times? Yeah...no. They'll be better by default if the team is healthier than last year. Taking into account the team's new fast paced style, which will help AD and the rest of the roster basically minus Asik, the team will improve through that avenue as well. The west (the league in general, really) will be better as a whole - but the Pelicans will also be an improved team.

Also,there is absolutely NO chance whatsoever that the Pelicans trade Davis - none whatsoever. Wow.
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 43,034

Post#10 » by JDR720 » Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:09 pm

i would consider making the playoffs at a higher seed than they had last season a success, not a huge one (well, depending on the seed) but still a success.

and the WT at the top of the thread is kinda weird, gonna take a while to get used to that (assuming it is supposed to be there)
oaktownwarriors87
RealGM
And1: 4,354

Post#11 » by oaktownwarriors87 » Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:09 pm

alright...
cdubbz wrote:Donte DiVincenzo will outplay Poole this season.
vxmike
Head Coach
And1: 4,008

Post#12 » by vxmike » Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:18 pm

NZB2323 wrote:I understand what you're saying, but Anthony Davis might be the best player in the NBA this season. Not top 10, not top 5, not top 3, #1. Not one of the best players, but THE best. With that said, I don't see the Pelicans winning a playoff series in the West.

He might have the best stats and highest PER this year, but he won't be the best player. Lebron still firmly holds that title (disclaimer: I don't even like him).

I do agree that NOP may be one of the more overrated teams coming into this season. They have crappy depth around Anthony Davis, and most of their 2nd tier guys are very injury prone. Eric Gordon, Jrue Holiday, Asik, Ryan Anderson, and Evans are all regularly injured. Even Davis himself is not an iron man, and if he misses 10-15 games they'll probably lose 80% of them to decent opponents. They're basically the West version of the Bulls when it comes to most of their major contributors being injury prone.

Wouldn't surprise me at all if NOP misses the playoffs. All it takes is two of Utah/Sac/Phx to play well and they could be out.
MetalFingaz
Starter
And1: 2,800

Post#13 » by MetalFingaz » Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:45 pm

Jrue needs to be traded for a shooter. Let Reke run the point when he gets back.
It's time for 5 refs.
76thBearCub
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,713

Post#14 » by 76thBearCub » Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:47 pm

Utah, sac, and Phx? I doubt AD. Is losing any sleep there. Utah could be decent.

Elfriid Payton and Noel would be damn nice on that team though, or wait another year and have Noel and Saric. Scary ass frontcourt that would be.
teerfour+40LG
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,129

Post#15 » by teerfour+40LG » Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:47 pm

Truer words have never been spoken, OP. Kings > Pelicans.
canibaljay
Senior
And1: 391

Post#16 » by canibaljay » Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:55 pm

While I agree they will regress or at best be stagnant. Trading Davis wouldn't work, they'll never receive equal value. He's a top 2-3 player in the league. You keep those and figure things later.
koogiking
Veteran
And1: 1,080

Post#17 » by koogiking » Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:00 pm

I think they will be at close to the same level too. The roster is basically the same as last year
yoyoboy
RealGM
And1: 18,793

Post#18 » by yoyoboy » Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:08 pm

I kind of agree to be honest. They can't just rely on improvement from Davis to become a real championship contender. I like Jrue and Tyreke (and Davis if I didn't imply it already), but everyone else should be traded/let go. There should be a major retooling with that roster.
Edrees
RealGM
And1: 11,135

Post#19 » by Edrees » Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:38 pm

Basically saying Anthony Davis needs to stay really healthy if the hornets are going to be better than last year. That they can't be better if he misses 15 games and plays another 15 games hobbled like he did last year. That's completely true.
Disabled Sports
Junior

Post#20 » by Disabled Sports » Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:53 am

vxmike wrote:

He might have the best stats and highest PER this year, but he won't be the best player. Lebron still firmly holds that title (disclaimer: I don't even like him).

I do agree that NOP may be one of the more overrated teams coming into this season. They have crappy depth around Anthony Davis, and most of their 2nd tier guys are very injury prone. Eric Gordon, Jrue Holiday, Asik, Ryan Anderson, and Evans are all regularly injured. Even Davis himself is not an iron man, and if he misses 10-15 games they'll probably lose 80% of them to decent opponents. They're basically the West version of the Bulls when it comes to most of their major contributors being injury prone.

Wouldn't surprise me at all if NOP misses the playoffs. All it takes is two of Utah/Sac/Phx to play well and they could be out.

you summed up my argument better than i could

Read on Twitter

Return to The General Board