Mass Dispatch 29.0: Conduct Towards Moderators, Who Beat Me, Ownership and Soccer Expansion

The Happenings On The RealGM Forums With Administrator Howard Mass
Howard Mass
Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 15,607

Mass Dispatch 29.0: Conduct Towards Moderators, Who Beat Me, Ownership and Soccer Expansion 

Post#1 » by Howard Mass » Sat Feb 14, 2015 3:07 pm

Mass Dispatch 29.0

In this Week's edition of Mass Dispatch............

The Mass Matter focuses on how some Users have attacked Moderators and tried to derail discussion on Forums in the process. The Champions of "Beat The Commish" are revealed and I also give my NBA All-Star Weekend and NBA Trading Deadline predictions.

In Ask Howard, I answer a question about an article about the three men who started RealGM.

We then have our Mass Dispatch User, Thread and Moderator of The Week

In "Inside The Administrator's Office", I discuss some recent changes on the forums, announce an expansion to our Soccer Forums, briefly discuss the next Who Wants To Be A Moderator? Invitational and hint at a possible contest we might have depending on everyone's behavior when I am on vacation in Philly that could give on lucky User a new RealGM Life.

Let's get right to The Mass Matter.....................

The Mass Matter.............

The Mass Matter, Conduct towards Moderators, "Beat The Commish" Champions; NBA All-Star and NBA Trading Deadline Predictions

Conduct Towards Moderators

When I look into selecting a Moderator to fill a vacancy that opens up on a Forum, my hope is to find a User who can be a leader, start discussion, enforce our rules and conduct themselves well while serving that particular community.

RealGM is very fortunate to have many wonderful Users that obey our rules and make Moderating easy for our Moderators.

Unfortunately, I have been disturbed by how some Users have attacked Moderators with profanity, personal attacks and even to go as far as making a thread on that particular forum to call out and attack The Moderators of that forum.

While all of the threads and attacks have been moved to a restricted area or were sent by PM and I thus cannot link them, here are some examples …...

“**** you”

“You **** for a Moderator”

I have seen many Users start threads like

“Hey Mods, Read This”

“Our Crappy Forum Moderators”

I am not going to tolerate a Moderator being harassed by anyone. They volunteer to serve this community and just like any User, they do not deserved to be harassed.

If you have a problem with a Moderator, just send me a private message by clicking the contact square right under my location line.

Do not take it out on The Moderator or try to stir something up on the Forum.

Should this happen, I am instituting a few new rules effective immediately......

Any User who opens a thread to attack a Moderator or the Moderation on a Forum will automatically receive a 7-day suspension and a Board Ban from that particular Forum for at least 6 months will be a potential option.
Any User who attacks or curses a Moderator out via PM will face an automatic suspension of at least 3 days.

As always, if a User has a complaint about a Moderator, contact ME

Howard Mass

“Beat The Commish” Champions

My other RealGM Duties have prevented me from writing Mass Dispatch these past couple of weeks and this has unfortunately delayed announcing the results of The Mass Dispatch “Beat The Commish” Playoffs.

3 Moderators and 10 Moderators decided to participate in The Playoff version of “Beat The Commish”.

My 8-3 Record with 205 Points was only matched by one user The Regime who had 295 points.

The Co-Moderator regular season Champions Geoffrey P. and Administrator dream34 had matching 7-4 records but both had more points than me with Geoffrey P. Edging out dream34 270-230.

With that said.............

The “Beat The Commish” Playoffs User Champion is.........

The Regime

The “Beat The Commish” Moderator Champion is .............

Geoffrey P..

And The “Beat The Commish” Playoffs Champion is

The Regime

Now, this creates an interesting twist.

While The Regime won The Playoff Round, “Beat The Commish” had two other rounds.

Regular Season Record and Winning percentage.

Geoffrey P. tied Administrator dream34 for both with a 176-79-1 record and .6875 winning percentage.

The Regime's record was 11 games back of Geoffrey P. at 165-90-1 and with a winning percentage of .644.

The User Regular Season and Winning Percentage User Champion was WVU with a 175-80-1 mark and a .683 winning percentage.

So, I have determined that with his shared victories for best regular season record, winning percentage along with Winning The Moderator Playoff round and coming in second overall in the playoffs, The....

Mass Dispatch “Beat The Commish” Grand Champion is...........

Moderator Geoffrey P.

I would like to thank to thank everyone for participating.

For full results, please see these two threads

viewtopic.php?f=437&t=1344849#start_here

viewtopic.php?f=437&t=1365655&p=42679001#p42679001

And if you are a User who “Beat The Commish” in any of the rounds, please send me a PM so that we can discuss your prize.

The Regular Season and Winning Percentage User WVU and The Playoffs Winner The Regime will receive two of the options given but to find out what they are, you have to have beaten me in any of the three rounds.

If your a Moderator who defeated me, please send me a PM as well and we will discuss.

I want to thank everyone for playing and congratulate everyone who “Beat The Commish”.

All-Star Weekend and Trade Deadline Predictions

I just have to get these in for the record.

Shooting Stars Contest: Team Curry
Skills Competition: Brandon Knight
Three-Point Shootout: Kyle Korver
Dunk Contest: Victor Oladipo

All-Star Game MVP: Stephen Curry

As for The Trading Deadline, I am predicting 8-11 trades with most of them involving The Philadelphia 76ers taking on salary and hoarding second round picks.

I do expect my beloved Orlando Magic to make at least a small trade and I expect at least one surprise trade around the league.

I hope for some action and I will need to keep my adrenaline flowing as I am taking an early flight back from Philadelphia at 5:30 AM EST on Thursday morning and will have to stay up until the evening before taking a short nap to do my nightly RealGM work.

Ask Howard

Have a question about RealGM? The Forums? An Issue you would like me to address publicly or something in general? Just post it in the Ask Howard Thread of The Mass Dispatch Forum or you could send me a PM and I just might answer it in my next column.

SF88 Asks: Would you say this article provides accurate information regarding RealGM and its founders?

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Jour ... gents.aspx

Howard's Response: I would say it's very accurate and tells a good part of RealGM's story.

Ryan Hoak, Michael Benbow and Todd Essman are all pretty much behind the scenes here at RealGM and are rarely seen publicly on the site although they are involved in many things that you see on the site.

If you ever go through our massive stats, it is truly amazing how much information we have.

Just scroll through a team section one day like The Orlando Magic's

http://basketball.realgm.com/nba/teams/ ... ic/21/Home

You can find their all-time stats, depth charts going back to their first season in 1989-1990.

Just take a look at the roster page from the season

http://basketball.realgm.com/nba/teams/ ... rrent/1990

It's mind blowing how much information we have. Ryan is a visionary and has delivered on all of his promises and a vision that he shared with me ever since I joined RealGm a few months out of high school at the age of 19.

Michael is more of a tech guy but one of the kindest people you'll ever meet as well (Ryan is very kind too btw). We do not communicate much these days because we work in different areas of RealGM and he is ALWAYS swamped but the guy is a workhorse and it is amazing how he was able to set up all of the sections we have on this site.

Todd is the legal guy. He is a basketball fanatic and it's amazing how he was able to lift RealGM to another level with persistent work behind the scenes.

Sometimes him and I have some interesting conversations about some things on the forums especially when I try to push some ideas or how to order The General Boards but it's all in good spirit and just how hard I push for some things at times.

While I do not chat with them often these days due to me being allowed my RealGM duties in the overnight hours, I have a wonderful working relationship with Ryan, Michael and Todd and I still cannot believe it's been almost 15 years. The years go by fast.

The whole story of RealGM is really fascinating and will take many Mass Matter's to go through.

That story is very accurate though.

User, Thread and Moderator of Week

It is time for our Weekly Awards. If you would like to nominate a User, Thread or Moderator for an Award, just make a post on The Mass Dispatch Forum or send me a PM.

Mass Dispatch User of The Week

PMOTT3
memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=161259

This User has only been a member since last May but they have become a very enthusiastic User on our Forums.

In addition to being active and a good contributor on our Atlanta Hawks Forum, they are active on our General NBA Board and Trade and Transactions Games Forums.

PMOTT3 has also taken time to give me feedback on certain RealGM Forum issues.

I really appreciate all of the above from him and he is our User of The Week.

Congratulations to The Mass Dispatch User of The Week................

PMOTT3

Mass Dispatch Thread of The Week

The Orlando Magic Forum's Thread on the firing of Head Coach Jacque Vaughn.

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1371046#start_here

Before Jacque Vaughn was let go last week, speculation had been hovering over his head with reports that he was going to be fired.

Like I stated in my season preview some Mass Dispatches ago, The expectations were for The Magic to try for the 8th seed in The East this year. Unfortunately, they did not meet those expectations and in the process, I believe the players tuned Jacque Vaughn out and when that happens, you have to make a change.

It reminded me the speculation that swirled over Brian Hill's head when he was about to be fired during his first stint as Magic head coach back in 1997. That time was a lot more controversial because of how it happened but it did bring back memories.

This thread is a good read for any fan who likes to obverse how a rival base reacts to the firing of a head coach and to see all of the speculation on who swill eventually become The new head coach as interim head coach James Borrego has very long odds of being the head coach at the start of next season.

Congratulations to our Orlando Magic Forum!

Mass Dispatch Moderator of The Week

Geoffrey P.

Not only did Geoffrey P. win The Mass Dispatch “Beat The Commish” Grand Championship, he is also a very good Moderators who Moderates on our Boston Celtics Forum in addition to our Boston Red Sox, New England Patriots and Boston Bruins
Geoffrey P. was actually an Administrator on a non-sports forum in the past so unlike others, he actually was able to easily slide into the role. That's not easy for former Administrator's either and I know that from past experience.

When him and I chatted about possibly becoming a Moderator during the screening process, I could tell he had that Administrator background. Having him as a Moderator and an addition to an already solid Boston Celtics Moderator Team has been great for our Celtics Forum and the RealGM Forums as a whole.

I also always admire someone who has been in my shows as they know a little bit of what it's like to be me.

He gets this award not just for being Grand Champion of “Beat The Commish” but for his great moderating ability and contributions to our Forums.

Congratulations to The Mass Dispatch Moderator of The Week Geoffrey P.

Inside The Administrator's Office

As many of you might have noticed, Mass Dispatch has sort of been on hiatus the past couple of weeks.
This was due to work that had to be done behind the scenes with my other RealGM duties.

I do regret this inconvenience to everyone.

Last week, dream34 worked on some upgrades to the new format on the forums.

It is wonderful that I now have all of my old administrative tools back and some things got fixed for Users.

The reason for the delay is Michael Haegele (Dream34) had some other RealGM duties that required his immediately attention. He has so much to do that RealGM is considering bringing in a Programmer to help out in the future.

No matter what happens, we hope to fix other outstanding issues sometime after The Trading Deadline.

In other Forum news............

We have decided a General Forum for Major League Soccer in our Soccer Section. It will be a one year experiment and if it is successful, we will look into adding Forums for other leagues. The General MLS Forum will launch before the start of The MLS Forum and Global Moderator LittleOzzy along with Moderators kdawg32086 and 5DOm are going to be setting up threads before the launch.

Sometime next month, I will be conducting another “Who Wants To Be A Moderator? Invitational this time for our MLB Forums. The format will be a little different and I will have details when the time comes.

On a final note, as mentioned above, I am going to Philadelphia. My plane leaves early Sunday morning and I'll be back in Central Florida early Thursday morning. I will still be on the forums while I am visiting my sister, her boyfriend, his brother and my two adorable little Nieces.

If things are good around here while I am gone, I am considering having a contest where one User could win a repeal of a non-General NBA Board warning or even a clean slate. If this contest happened, a Committee of Moderators would of course decide The Winner but keep that in mind if your a User with a bad record these next couple of days.

I hope everyone enjoys All-Star Weekend.

Mass Dispatch will return the first week of March.

Contact Mass Dispatch

If anyone has a question, feedback, feel a user, thread or Moderator should be recognized or something they would like to see in Mass Dispatch, please post it on The Mass Dispatch Forum or send me a PM. You could even send me a note on Twitter @homassrealgm
R.I.P. Dharam Raghubir (A.K.A. Magnumt)

:beer:
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,328

Re: Mass Dispatch 29.0: Conduct Towards Moderators, Who Beat Me, Ownership and Soccer Expansion 

Post#2 » by Texas Chuck » Sat Feb 14, 2015 3:16 pm

Congrats Pmott. Definitely enjoy having you on the Trade Board and Games Board. Go Hawks.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
MadNESS
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,675

Re: Mass Dispatch 29.0: Conduct Towards Moderators, Who Beat Me, Ownership and Soccer Expansion 

Post#3 » by MadNESS » Sat Feb 14, 2015 3:57 pm

Congrats Pmott - Glad your with us!
LAKESHOW
J-Mezzy
RealGM
And1: 3,199

Post#4 » by J-Mezzy » Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:26 pm

Thanks for the added MLS forum.
Thank you triplemke23 for the sig.
edfmx86
Club Captain- MLS Soccer
And1: 199

Post#5 » by edfmx86 » Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:54 pm

I'm excited about the MLS forum. I look forward to contributing!
TheSamMitchell
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,864

Post#6 » by TheSamMitchell » Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:16 am

I'm happy to hear this site will be getting an MLS forum, but I don't think this site has a big enough soccer population, yet.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,199

Post#7 » by bondom34 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:30 am

Congrats Pmott and Geoffrey P.!
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 4,565

Post#8 » by Pharaoh » Sun Feb 15, 2015 4:51 am

Howard:

I believe I don't have the PM function due to past discretions.

Can you post an email address where I can contact you directly? I don't do twitter.
Howard Mass
Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 15,607

Re: 

Post#9 » by Howard Mass » Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:00 am

Pharaoh wrote:Howard:

Can you post an email address where I can contact you directly? I don't do twitter.

Pharoah,

You can E-Mail at howard@realgm.com but I probably will not answer until Friday.
R.I.P. Dharam Raghubir (A.K.A. Magnumt)

:beer:
Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 4,565

Re: Re: Re: 

Post#10 » by Pharaoh » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:17 am

Howard Mass wrote:
Pharaoh wrote:Howard:

Pharoah,

You can E-Mail at howard@realgm.com but I probably will not answer until Friday.

Thank you sir. It's nothing urgent either just wanna have a way to contact the powers that be
scwarrior+zenit
Ballboy
And1: 5

Post#11 » by scwarrior+zenit » Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:39 pm

"I am not going to tolerate a Moderator being harassed by anyone. They volunteer to serve this community and just like any User, they do not deserved to be harassed." Howard Mass

Thank you, Howard, for keeping the bar high. It's all better when we are respectful, even with those with whom we disagree.
Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,035

Post#12 » by Liver_Pooty » Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:27 pm

The daily SQL errors on here are getting crazy
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
Hawk Eye
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,071

Post#13 » by Hawk Eye » Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:46 pm

Thanks for the SO Howard and for the congrats everyone! As always, Go Hawks!

:rockon:
truth18
RealGM
And1: 42,829

Post#14 » by truth18 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:06 pm

Woooo. MLS forum! I will contribute as much as I can.

Congrats to Geoff Peterson!

The quality of threads on the GB over the past few months has been extemely low. I won't guess as to why (I read the GB once a month), but I can't be the only one who has noticed this, right?
YOU LOSE
RIPskaterdude
RealGM
And1: 36,394

Post#15 » by RIPskaterdude » Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:34 am

me and howard are best friends
truth18
RealGM
And1: 42,829

Post#16 » by truth18 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:16 am

RIPskaterdude wrote:me and howard are best friends

Howard and I ;)
YOU LOSE
Sofia
GOTB: Mean Girls
And1: 30,567

Post#17 » by Sofia » Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:23 am

Howie, are you reducing frequency of Mass Dispatch, or is IRL keeping you away?

truth18 wrote:
RIPskaterdude wrote:me and howard are best friends

Howard and I ;)

Nuh uh. Skates and Howie are.
President of the Grady Dick Fanclub - top ****
President of the Pharmcat Fanclub
President of the GreatWhiteStiff Fanclub - go stiffies!

Return to Mass Dispatch