The Happenings On The RealGM Forums With Administrator Howard Mass
Howard Mass
Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 15,625

Mass Dispatch 34.0: Introducing "The Jammer" and Travis Knight's Fate 

Post#1 » by Howard Mass » Sat May 9, 2015 11:31 pm

Mass Dispatch 34.0

In this edition of Mass Dispatch.............

The Mass Matters focuses on a new Moderating Tool “The Jammer” that will stop that small number of Users who choose to derail discussion with meaningless and repetitive topics on forums dead in their tracks.

I also unveil a new policy for what will happen if a User decides to make a thread to attack a fellow User, Moderator or a Fan Base on a particular forum.

The fate of Travis Knight is also revealed and he along with everyone will find out if he will join the RealGM Moderator Team or be turned down by The Committee.

In Ask Howard, I take a question about our Seattle SuperSonics Forum

The Mass Dispatch Awards in this edition give a shout out to the fan base of the NBA biggest tankers and one of the biggest rip-offs that so many many gullible people fell for.

My Draft Lottery Predictions are revealed

Inside The Administrator's Office introduces to a new Moderator who will be moderating an NBA AND an NFL Forum. I also give an update on The San Francisco 49ers Moderator Search and what to do if the -Mail on your account is no longer in use.

Let's get right to The Mass Matter................

The Mass Matter: Introducing........

"The Jammer"

How many times have you gone to visit your favorite forum and some User stated a topic that was completely not necessary or just stuck out like a sore thumb amongst all of the good topics on the forum?

There are many examples of this like

“Constant Repetitive Threads”
“A Thread for a Trade that is obviously not a good idea”
etc........................................................

I am sure everyone has seen other examples as well that just make your blood boil.

Our Users and Moderators deserve clean forums that do not get derailed by these type of threads.

I want to point out that very few Users start threads like this and if you unintentionally make a thread Repetitive Thread, that's ok. A User will only get a warning if they have shown a pattern to do this on a regular basis.

Obvious troll threads and ones calling out Moderators will not be tolerated either.

This is because I have found something in my Administrator tools that allows me to block a User from starting threads on an individual forum.

From this day forward, if a User does any of the above, they will be at risk of losing their privilege to make threads on that particular Forum.

Here is the warnings scale for this feature.

"Jammer" Strike Scale

First Strike: A simple warning letting The User know what they are doing is not ok.
Second Strike: They will not be able to start threads for 7 days on that forum.
Third Strike: The User will lose their privilege to start threads on that forum.

Regular suspensions could accompany these strikes as they are also considered violations..

On and one more thing that could get you in trouble..................

if any User has a problem with a fellow User, you contact a Moderator on the Forum where the problem is occurring.

If you have a problem with a Moderator, you contact me.

If any User makes a thread to Attack A User, A Moderator or that Forum's Users as a whole, they will automatically lose their privilege to start threads on that particular Forum with a 7 day suspension to boot.

Any User who loses their privilege to start threads on a particular forum will be able to appeal for that privilege to be reinstated June 30 and December 31st each year.

My hope is “The Jammer” will rarely be used but when it has to be, our Forum experience for our Users, Lurkers and Moderators will be better for it.

I open the floor to questions that may be posted in this thread for questions related to "The Jammer" and the policies that go with it.

Travis Knight's fate

In the previous edition of Mass Dispatch, I announced that the Runner-up in The Mass Dispatch “Who Wants To Be A Moderator?” Invitational: MLB Edition Travis Knight would be granted an interview to become a Moderator.

This was due to several Moderators requesting that Travis Knight receive one given how he and ReasonablySober got just about all of The Committee's votes.

Since the last edition, Travis Knight did have their interview and like ReasonablySober had to face that same Committee that passed him over the first time.

Now, it is time for him to learn his fate.

Like ReasonablySober, they also had to get at least 75 percent of The Committee vote to become a Moderator.

ReasonablySober was able to get 88 percent of the vote and just like like in the first round of voting, ReasonablySober ended up getting a higher percentage of the vote.

Travis Knight only got..............

85 percent of the vote

With that said, I would like to introduce everyone to our NEW New York Mets Moderator Travis Knight.

Congratulations to Travis Knight!

TK: Please send me a PM when your ready to get started.

ReasonablySober will be starting as a Moderator sometime this summer as they have a few things to take care of in non-cyber life first.

Congratulations to both ReasonablySober and Travis Knight for taking advantage of this opportunity and beating the odds to become members of The RealGM Moderator Team!

The next Mass Dispatch “Who Wants To Be A Moderator? Invitational will be in August and it will be an NFL Edition.

Ask Howard

Some Users Recently Asked: How much longer are you guys going to keep The Seattle SuperSonics Forum around? They have not been in Seattle for like 7 years and hardly anyone posts there anyone.

Howard's Response: When The Seattle Supersonics moved to Oklahoma City, the Forum never left RealGM.

The Forum was a sub forum of our Seattle Mariners until the Seattle Ownership group reached an agreement to buy the Sacramento Kings a couple of years ago.

When this happened, I wanted to get the Seattle Supersonics Community back together in the case that the sale would be approved.

So, I moved the forum back into The NBA section.

I believe that one day The NBA will be back in Seattle and as long as I am The Administrator of the RealGM Forums, The Seattle Supersonics fans will have a forum here on RealGM.

Mass Dispatch User, Thread and Moderator of The Week and Lottery Predictions

Mass Dispatch User(s) of The Week

Our Philadelphia Sixers Users

With The NBA Draft Lottery approaching, no fanbase has known they'd be popping ping-pong balls at this time more than our Philadelphia 76ers forum.

I have followed the NBA for 22 ½ years and seen some pretty bad teams. When I first started following the NBA, I never thought I would see a team worse than those early 90's Dallas Mavericks who barely managed to get double-digit victories to not break the 82 game season (Charlotte broke this but in a shortened season) worst record of The 72-73 Philadelphia 76ers (9-73).

Given how Sixers GM Sam Hankie is obsessed with tanking and rebuilding, you would think he would want his team to break this record so they can have the best lottery odds.

Well, they do not but our Philadelphia 76ers fans have a lot to watch during The Draft Lottery on May 19th.

The Sixers have the 3rd best odds at getting the top pick. Secondly, they might be rooting for The Lakers to drop 2 spots from 4th so they can get The Lakers pick via the Michael-Carter Williams Deal and they are probably hoping a team jumps Miami and knocks them back to #11 so they can have that pick as well.

With the rumors hat Sam Hinkie is trying to trade Nerlens Noel and Joel Embiid for draft picks, you have to wonder if Hinkie has dreams of owning all 60 draft picks in a future draft.

I am still bitter of how Sam Hinkie extorted Rob Hennigan and The Magic out of the 76ers future first from the Andrew Bynum deal and this year's 2ndround pick to move up two damn spots last year because Hinkie wanted to fool around and try and get their future first round pick back.

I love our Sixers fans and have a great relationship with their Moderators but alikely future mid first round pick and a high 2nd still ticks me off.

Anyway, our Sixers fans do not have a lot to cheer about during the season but they have been waiting for the Lottery for ever-changing reasons all season and recommend everyone check out the interesting they are having on their forum.

Congratulations to our Philadelphia 76ers Users!

Mass Dispatch Thread (s) of The Week

All of the Mayweather/Pacquio Threads

In this country and around the world, The Entertainment industry has some huge events that never live up to the hype but get a bunch of gullible people to pony up and they come away disappointed while the people involved make a boatload of money.

For the movies, it's crap like “Twilight” that absolutely sucked and I am sure some guys on this forum were forced to go to all of the movies by their girlfriends or wives. I saw a clip and could not stand it and while it got a bunch of Razzies, the players involved walked away with a boatload of money.

So many big movies do this in Hollywood which is why I prefer the Indy's and TV Series.

In Sports, there are big events like The Super Bowl, NBA Finals, and World Series but you guys those free over the air with an antenna. Other stuff you see if you have cable or a streaming subscription.

However, one sporting event that was billed “The fight of The Century” was really “The Con of The Century”

Did anyone serious pay $100 bucks for Mayweather-Pacquio?

It had to be even worse for the fans who bought the 500 tickets available to the actual public and paid thousands.

Any fight fan knew MayWeather was a defensive fighter and it wasn't going to be much of an event unless your obsessed with all of the celebrities that were there.

For that kind of money, you want to see someone get punched out or at least knocked down and from what I later found out, no one did.

Still, many were curious by how this damn ripoff was hyped up by the media.

Unfortunately, we did have true fight fans which was seen by all of the threads around RealGM for the fight and at least deserved a healthy Manny Pacquio (You still would have gotten your money at a later date)

I feel bad for anyone who was disappointed but in this world some people are out to rip you off and it's sad how many people got suckered into this thing.

The fight did have threads across RealGM last week so all of those threads are our Threads of the Week.

Congratulations to everyone who participated.... I guess.

Mass Dispatch Moderator (s) of The Week

Our Philadelphia Sixers Moderators

It is never easy having consecutive losing seasons and my Orlando have had three consecutive dwellers . Like last season, The Philadelphia 76ers Moderators have known their team would be in the gutter due to GM Sam Hinkie's rebuilding project.

No team has tanked harder in NBA history then The Philadelphia 76ers of the past two seasons and they have rightfully gotten some hate for it from me included their own Administrator.

Despite that our Sixers Moderators sixers hoops, Sixerscan, HartfordWhalers and Foshan have done a great job at policing the forum and keeping the discussion going.

They are a great group and want to acknowledge them before they come away disappointed after The Draft Lottery on May 19th.

Congratulations to our Philadelphia 76ers Moderators!

Howard's Draft Lottery Predictions

1)Minnesota
2)Orlando
3)New York

Yes, Philadelphia drops to #4 and the Lakers stay in the top #5 whichh means The Sixers wait till next year when The Lakers should be better as I have a feeling some free agents will go there. I am soooo being a troll right now. LOL!

I want my Magic to get #1 and Karl Anthony Towns but I just invision #2 for some reason. I am not sure Jahlil Okafor is the right fit. Maybe they will trade down with someone so they can select Justise Winslow and get some other goodies in the trade. We will see.

Regardless, The Orlando Magic will either get jumped one (weird feeling about Sacramento) and drop down to #6 or they will get into the Top-3.

For those of you cannot wait to the Lottery, please feel free to try out our Lottery Simulator until the big day when everyone's heart will be beating at an insane rate like it always does during the NBA Draft Lottery.

Inside The Administrator's Office

Our New York Mets Forum is not the only forum with a new Moderator.

In fact, two Forums have a new Moderator and it is the same person.

For the past couple of months, I have had my eye on bwgood77 as a potential Moderator for our San Diego Chargers Forum

We had some PM discussions and agreed to chat about the possibility. However, after we agreed, I got a PM from one of our Phoenix Suns Moderators TASTIC informing me that one of his co-Moderators Miklo was retiring and bwgood77 was someone that the Suns Moderators liked.

Given how I felt the forum needed someone to start discuss and bwgood77 was on the top of my list of our passionate Suns Users if a vacancy ever arose, I decided to make bwgood77's interview for not only our San Diego Chargers Forum but also our Phoenix Suns Forum.

It is quite rare to have someone interview for two forums at the same time but it is not a hard adjustment for me to make.

Since there was no Moderator on our San Diego Chargers Forum, I immediately offered him the position and a day later after consulting with our Phoenix Suns Moderators, offered him a position on our Phoenix Suns Forum as well.

I feel bwgood77 is going to be a great addition to both Forums and will help get more discussion growing on both Forums and he is very determined to weed out the bangthe drum negativity from a few Users on our Forums while bringing back those few who have been away because of it.

bwgood77 is everything I look for in a Moderator and am happy to welcome to The RealgM Moderator Team.

On another note, the process to find a new San Francisco 49ers Moderator or two is underway. The Forum had a big surge in traffic last fall when a group of 49ers Fans bolted a Forum that was not treating them right.

As stated on the 49ers Forum, I want to find 1-2 Moderators for the Forum to keep the cohesion they have built over 15 years combined by August and believe I am well on my way to doing so. All will be revealed within the next 100 days.

Finally, if the E-Mail that you signed up with your RealGM Account has changed, please send me a PM so we can get that changed.

We get a ton of E-Mails of notifications of E-Mail accounts that keep bouncing back via Forum actions because that E-Mail is no longer in use.

Please do PM me if this is the case for anyone.

On a final note, I have some important things to do behind the scenes so Mass Dispatch will not return until sometime in June.

Until then, just PM me if you need something.

Contact Mass Dispatch

If anyone has a question, feedback, feel a user, thread or Moderator should be recognized or something they would like to see in Mass Dispatch, please post it on The Mass Dispatch Forum or send me a PM. You could even send me a note on Twitter @homassrealgm
R.I.P. Dharam Raghubir (A.K.A. Magnumt)

:beer:
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,370

Re: Mass Dispatch 34.0: Introducing "The Jammer" and Travis Knight's Fate 

Post#2 » by trwi7 » Sun May 10, 2015 12:02 am

Howard Mass wrote:ReasonablySober will be starting as a Moderator sometime this summer as they have a few things to take care of in non-cyber life first.

How many sexy people are you, RS?
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,209

Post#3 » by bondom34 » Sun May 10, 2015 12:46 am

Congrats TK and bwgood, well deserved! I haven't gotten to interact much w/ TK but I know bwgood a bit from seeing him around and he's always a great poster, I was also impressed w/ TK's interview. Congrats guys.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,445

Post#4 » by Slava » Sun May 10, 2015 12:52 am

Congrats bgwood, very good addition to the moderator team.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
MadNESS
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,690

Post#5 » by MadNESS » Tue May 12, 2015 1:42 am

Congrats fellas!
LAKESHOW
Miklo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 278

Post#6 » by Miklo » Tue May 12, 2015 12:46 pm

Congrats, TK and BW!
aIvin adams
Analyst
And1: 1,978

Post#7 » by aIvin adams » Wed May 13, 2015 2:54 pm

Too bad. I always liked bw.
torontoaces04
Analyst
And1: 518

Post#8 » by torontoaces04 » Tue May 19, 2015 11:20 am

Hooooooowwwwwwwwwiiiiiiieeeeeeeee!
RIPskaterdude
RealGM
And1: 36,467

Post#9 » by RIPskaterdude » Fri May 22, 2015 9:59 pm

Howard you still alive?
Howard Mass
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: 

Post#10 » by Howard Mass » Fri May 22, 2015 10:01 pm

RIPskaterdude wrote:Howard you still alive?

Yes, I am.

RIPskaterdude
RealGM

Post#11 » by RIPskaterdude » Sat May 23, 2015 1:11 am

Are these monthly now?
Howard Mass
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#12 » by Howard Mass » Sat May 23, 2015 4:37 am

No, they are usually weekly but I am doing an assignment behind the scenes that needs my attention.

El Turco
GOTB Fantasy Basketball Ultimate 2x Champion
And1: 20,560

Post#13 » by El Turco » Sat May 23, 2015 4:42 am

RIPskaterdude wrote:I need your attention
TheLowlySquire wrote:Wow, Arda! Huge!

Howard Mass wrote:Arda is not a terrorist. Arda is a good person.
Blkbrd671
RealGM
And1: 4,819

Post#14 » by Blkbrd671 » Wed May 27, 2015 3:13 am

Howard Mass wrote:No, they are usually weekly but I am doing an assignment behind the scenes that needs my attention.

Hey Howard,

Over the years i have noticed a constant problem of keeping Threads on topic or per OP. Is there a way that on all pages of the thread that the OP is the first post, almost like the title. This may require OP character limits etc. however i think this would threads stay on topic. #foodforthought
Howard Mass
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#15 » by Howard Mass » Wed May 27, 2015 4:30 am

Blkbrd671 wrote:
Howard Mass wrote:No, they are usually weekly but I am doing an assignment behind the scenes that needs my attention.

Hey Howard,

Over the years i have noticed a constant problem of keeping Threads on topic or per OP. Is there a way that on all pages of the thread that the OP is the first post, almost like the title. This may require OP character limits etc. however i think this would threads stay on topic. #foodforthought

Do you mean the first post would appear on all pages?

Blkbrd671
RealGM
And1: 4,819

Post#16 » by Blkbrd671 » Wed May 27, 2015 5:10 am

Howard Mass wrote:
Blkbrd671 wrote:

Hey Howard,

ya almost like a header on each page, to remind the thread the topic. or what the OP was discussing
Howard Mass
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#17 » by Howard Mass » Wed May 27, 2015 5:49 am

Blkbrd671 wrote:
Howard Mass wrote:
Blkbrd671 wrote:

Hey Howard,

ya almost like a header on each page, to remind the thread the topic. or what the OP was discussing

That might be something we consider in a future update.

Nebula1
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#18 » by Nebula1 » Wed May 27, 2015 2:02 pm

Hello Howard, any chance a spell check could be incorporated into the forums? Either as we write or as a function button?
Howard Mass
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#19 » by Howard Mass » Wed May 27, 2015 6:09 pm

Nebula1 wrote:

Hello Howard, any chance a spell check could be incorporated into the forums? Either as we write or as a function button?

That could happen in the future although when I misspell a word while typing, it is underlined in red on my browser after I type the word.

RIPskaterdude
RealGM

Post#20 » by RIPskaterdude » Thu May 28, 2015 8:00 am

good looking out howie, keep up the good work

Return to Mass Dispatch