Moderators: kdawg32086, magik9113

LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,197

Re: Official New York City FC Thread 

Post#81 » by LittleOzzy » Sun Feb 1, 2015 9:24 pm

New York City FC announce their first captain ahead of 2015 expansion season

New York City FC took the field on Sunday for their first match of their first-ever season -- the perfect time to reveal the name of the player who will wear the armband in 2015.

The announcement came via Twitter ahead of their afternoon match against the Jacksonville Armada.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/NYCFC/status/561954222724628480[/tweet]

David Villa was the first player signed by NYCFC when he was officially unveiled on June 2, 2014 before participating with Spain at the FIFA World Cup in Brazil. The 33-year-old forward is the all-time leading scorer in Spain national team history and the most experienced player on the NYCFC roster.

During a storied career in Europe, he won both the FIFA World Cup and EURO championship titles with Spain as well as the UEFA Champions League with FC Barcelona in 2011.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2 ... ion-season" target="_blank
LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#82 » by LittleOzzy » Mon Feb 2, 2015 5:21 pm

New York City FC sign 29-year-old Slovakian international forward Adam Nemec

New York City FC added another piece to their attacking corps on Monday, signing 29-year-old Slovakian international forward Adam Nemec. Per league and club policy, terms of the deal were not disclosed.

The 6-foot-3 striker comes to NYCFC from 2. Bundesliga club Union Berlin, where he scored 14 goals in 65 appearances from 2012-15. This season, Nemec made just five substitute appearances while starting four games and scoring twice for Union Berlin II in the Regionalliga.

“Adam is a different type of striker than we have on the roster so far, which gives us a different dimension up front and options on how our forward line can play,” NYCFC sporting director Claudio Reyna said in a club statement. “It’s important to have players with a range of strengths and attributes. He’s a strong and powerful athlete and will add a real goalscoring threat to our team.”

Nemec has appeared 14 times for the Slovakian national team, scoring two goals – including one against FYR Macedonia in a crucial Euro 2016 qualifying win in November – on the international stage. He joins Designated Player David Villa, No. 2 overall SuperDraft selection Khiry Shelton and Expansion Draft selections Patrick Mullins and Tony Taylor as the five forwards on NYCFC’s roster.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2 ... adam-nemec
LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#83 » by LittleOzzy » Thu Feb 5, 2015 5:12 pm

French international Hatem Ben Arfa linked with New York City FC

With the hunt still on for their third Designated Player, expansion club New York City FC were linked on Thursday morning to 27-year-old French international Hatem Ben Arfa.

French outlet L’Equipe reported on Thursday that NYCFC have entered discussions with Ben Arfa, who had his contract with Nice terminated on Tuesday after FIFA ruled that he cannot play for the Ligue 1 club due to the fact that he had already played in competitive matches for two teams – the Newcastle U-21s and Hull City – this season.

FIFA rules state that a player may not play “official matches” for more than two clubs in a single season, meaning Ben Arfa will not be able to play in Europe until the 2015-16 season starts in July. He would, however, be able to play in MLS from the start of the regular season, as the upcoming MLS campaign falls outside of FIFA’s single-season purview, rendering their two-team maximum irrelevant.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2 ... rk-city-fc
NoLayupRule
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 10,867

Post#84 » by NoLayupRule » Thu Feb 5, 2015 9:08 pm

well not sure if its on another page but this excited me!

A report in UK publication the Daily Mail indicates that New York City FC, Toronto FC and LA Galaxy are considering a move for the American No. 1 and World Cup star.

But Howard himself suggested last year that he planned to retire at the club.

"For me, I think the MLS ship has sailed," Howard told SB Nation after the World Cup. "That's what it looks like, anyway. I signed a new four-year contract with Everton. If you cut me open, I bleed blue and I want to finish my career there. I can't foresee myself coming back. I think there was probably a chance before I signed the contract, but not anymore."

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2015/01/29/transfer-watch-tim-howard-reportedly-being-targeted-new-york-city-fc-toronto
LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#85 » by LittleOzzy » Thu Feb 5, 2015 10:06 pm

NoLayupRule wrote:well not sure if its on another page but this excited me!

A report in UK publication the Daily Mail indicates that New York City FC, Toronto FC and LA Galaxy are considering a move for the American No. 1 and World Cup star.

"For me, I think the MLS ship has sailed," Howard told SB Nation after the World Cup. "That's what it looks like, anyway. I signed a new four-year contract with Everton. If you cut me open, I bleed blue and I want to finish my career there. I can't foresee myself coming back. I think there was probably a chance before I signed the contract, but not anymore."

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2015/01/29/transfer-watch-tim-howard-reportedly-being-targeted-new-york-city-fc-toronto

it would be great if he ended up in New York.

Though do you think he could handle the extended travel times this late in his career?
truth18
RealGM
And1: 42,829

Post#86 » by truth18 » Thu Feb 5, 2015 10:08 pm

LittleOzzy wrote:

Though do you think he could handle the extended travel times this late in his career?

He sounds done. Don't think there is much of a chance of him coming to the MLS
YOU LOSE
NoLayupRule
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#87 » by NoLayupRule » Thu Feb 5, 2015 10:13 pm

LittleOzzy wrote:

honestly I didn't think he could be playing anything close to as long as he has and at the level he has so I won't punt him out

but the turf in MLS stadia is brutal on the body and I don't think any older athlete should be subjected to it
LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#88 » by LittleOzzy » Mon Feb 9, 2015 2:53 pm

New York City FC begins preseason training in Manchester

New York City FC touched down in Manchester on Friday to start the second leg of preseason training.

Head coach Jason Kreis and his team are based at the City Football Academy, opposite the Etihad Stadium, as preparations ramp up ahead of MLS kickoff in March.

As well as training together, the team is scheduled to play two preseason friendlies -- against Brondby on Wednesday and vs. St Mirren on Feb. 15 -- in the 7,000 capacity stadium on site. The facilities opened last November, and have been described as the best in the world – the ideal venue for the players and coaching staff to work together ahead of the club’s historic first season.

NYCFC midfielder Andrew Jacobson said: “Everyone in the world says it’s amazing here but you really don’t know how good it is until you pull up. It’s much bigger than I thought it would be and actually much more impressive. I was blown away. Every pitch is in great condition and it’s top-notch.

“You hear about it and hear that it’s the best in the world but until you get here you can’t imagine it. Right now we’re joining together as a team and becoming a cohesive unit. This is a great opportunity for us and we’re enjoying it.”

Defender Kwame Watson-Siriboe is looking forward to the chance to continue the team-building that started so well in Florida.

“We’re working together and learning the system for the first time, which has been great," he said. "This is only the second or third week training together so we’re still learning each other’s tendencies and our personalities; learning how we play together and enjoying it together.

“The season is coming up pretty quick, so we’re getting used to what our manager wants and it’s coming along great. We’re taking it one day at a time and I think by the time the season starts we’ll be ready to go.”

http://www.nycfc.com/post/2015/02/06/ne ... manchester

New York City FC sign Colombian midfielder Javier Calle

New York City FC are delighted to announce the signing of Colombian midfielder Javier Calle on a season-long loan agreement with an option to purchase. He has travelled with his new teammates to Manchester as they continue their preseason preparations.

Calle, 23, was a key part of the Independiente Medellín team that made it to the final of the 2014 Clausura tournament with six goals in 13 appearances in the regular season. He made his debut for the Medellín team in 2009 as a 17-year-old.

He was part of the Colombia U20 team which made it to the quarterfinals of the U20 World Cup in 2011.

New York City FC head coach Jason Kreis commenting on the signing, told NYCFC.com:

“We are very pleased to bring Javier on board. He is a left-footed, versatile and creative player who I believe will adapt well to MLS and give us some different options in midfield. He has impressed both at club and international level and we are confident that he will continue to develop with us in New York.”

http://www.nycfc.com/post/2015/02/06/ne ... er-calle-1
LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#89 » by LittleOzzy » Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:44 pm

New York City FC head coach Jason Kreis weighs in on Frank Lampard saga

New York City FC head coach Jason Kreis shared some thoughts on the Frank Lampard saga after his team’s 2-0 preseason victory over Scottish side St. Mirren in Manchester on Tuesday night, telling reporters that he hopes “everybody can forgive and forget” the offseason drama surrounding the Designated Player by the time he arrives in New York in July.

NYCFC, parent club Manchester City and Lampard decided last month that the English midfielder would stay with Man City until the conclusion of the English Premier League season in May. That decision angered some of the expansion club’s fans, who had been led to believe that Lampard would be with the team in time for their first-ever MLS match at Orlando City SC on March 8 (5 pm ET, ESPN2).

Kreis said Tuesday that he believes that NYCFC supporters will eventually receive Lampard well when he arrives in MLS, and he hopes that the expansion club’s fans will embrace the entire team over any one individual.

Lampard met with his future NYCFC teammates on Monday night, reportedly enjoying dinner with them at the team hotel in Manchester. He was not in attendance for Tuesday’s match against St. Mirren, as he was with Man City at a hotel ahead of their Wednesday match against US international Geoff Cameron and Stoke City.

“I think at the end of it all when everybody is calmed down and settled down a little bit that everybody can forgive and forget,” Kreis said.

“It’s my dream, really, that at some point very quickly the fans of NYC aren’t talking about the individual players. I’m hopeful they understand that this is about a team, it isn’t about David Villa or Frank Lampard or Jason Kreis. This is about a squad and a club and what we can do for the community.”

NYCFC’s other DP, club captain David Villa, also weighed in on the Lampard situation, speaking with reporters about his eventual teammate after scoring the first goal in Tuesday’s match.

“It would have been great that he was here now, but for City the best thing is for him to stay in Manchester,” Villa said. “We are only going to be focused to work hard so that when he joins in July, we can be a team that is really good and he can only improve us.”

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2 ... addresses-
NoLayupRule
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#90 » by NoLayupRule » Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:52 pm

littleozzy

thanks for manning this thread - its great
LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#91 » by LittleOzzy » Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:07 pm

NoLayupRule wrote:littleozzy

thanks for manning this thread - its great

No problem.

Hopefully it takes off once the season starts, and we get a good discussion going about the team.
LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Re: New York City FC Discussion Thread 

Post#92 » by LittleOzzy » Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:20 pm

Kreis may favor the diamond, but he won’t be married to it

For 45 minutes, New York City FC picked up where Jason Kreis’ Real Salt Lake left off, as far as formation is concerned. With Chris Wingert and Ned Grabavoy running the left flank and Sebastian Velasquez installed at the point of the midfield diamond, you could be forgiven for experiencing a little déjà vu.

The difference? While RSL are now eight years into what has become Kreis’ signature setup, NYCFC are still learning the ropes. And they often looked like it, especially for the final for 35 minutes of the first half.

Apart from a nervous start from both sides – a 10-minute period that saw some guy name David Villa smack the crossbar from 20-some yards – Orlando City were the clear aggressors.

With the Lions’ pair of midfield destroyers (Amobi Okugo and Cristian Higuita) and three-man midfield front (Neal, Molino and Kaka) severing the connection between the backline and midfield, Josh Saunders, Andres Mendoza and Wingert were too often forced into lumping hopeful balls forward for Tony Taylor and Villa to chase.

Villa, in particular, had a few moments of frustration, but a planned second-half tweak brought equilibrium – and eventually an equalizer – to the match.

Off went Velasquez and on came first-round SuperDraft pick Khiry Shelton to act as a fulcrum up top and a threat in behind. The midfield, meanwhile, shifted into what generally looked a flat 4-4-2, and Villa, instead of drifting left into isolation, began picking up the ball in positions to turn and run at the Orlando City backline.

The result, as you might expect with Villa more involved and the connection between midfield and defense restored, was an uptick in possession and positivity.

Eventually, the goal came via a Villa through ball and tidy finish from Shelton, with Kreis saying after the match that he was pleased with the increased endeavor in the second, but also cautioning that observers shouldn’t read too much into the tweak in formation, a move that was always in the cards rather than a reaction to the state of the game.

So what does that mean for what we’ll see at the Citrus Bowl on March 8?

Well, it means NYCFC aren’t a one-trick pony. That there’s a Plan B (and almost certainly a C, D and E). While the diamond remains a core part of Kreis’ approach, don’t expect it to be only defining characteristic of NYCFC’s tactical identity.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2 ... -new-york-

NYCFC clearly still working on their system. It may result in a slow start for them this season.
poeman
General Manager
And1: 7,059

Post#93 » by poeman » Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:45 pm

Biggest asset NYCFC have is Jason Kreis
LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#94 » by LittleOzzy » Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:37 pm

[tweet]https://twitter.com/TotalMLS/status/571000285830647808[/tweet]

That's fantastic for a team that has honestly been lagging behind the other expansion franchise in Orlando.

If they average close to 20,000 that would be great.
LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#95 » by LittleOzzy » Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:17 pm

New York City FC to sign 20-year-old England, Manchester City defender Shay Facey on loan

While one Manchester City player, Frank Lampard, will not reach MLS until the summer transfer window, it appears New York City FC have landed a younger model for the start of their inaugural MLS campaign.

The New York Daily News reported on Thursday that 20-year-old Manchester City and England youth international defender Shay Facey, who has been training with NYCFC throughout the preseason, has agreed to a loan deal with the club. There has been no official word from NYCFC regarding the move.

Facey, who turned 20 in January, has been a regular at center back for Jason Kreis in New York City's preseason matches. He recently told the Manchester City website how much he has grown from training with NYCFC.

"For me, it's been great to train with players who are quite physical and of a high standard," Facey said. "The style is very similar to what I'm used to at City, too, because Jason likes to have lots of possession and pass out from the back a lot – which is really helpful for me. What Jason asks us to do is not too alien to anybody, so everyone's catching onto it, and I think it's working well, playing that style of football."

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2 ... shay-facey

By the way NYCFC plays their last preseason game tonight.

New York City FC vs. Charleston Battery, Carolina Challenge Cup (7:30 pm, Charleston, South Carolina)

A stream will be available on the MLS website.
Yankeeknickfan
RealGM
And1: 4,627

Post#96 » by Yankeeknickfan » Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:30 pm

Not really much of a soccer fan, I watch the World Cup but, that's about it.'when they start playing real games I'm gonna see if I could really get it.
Imageceltics
LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#97 » by LittleOzzy » Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:46 pm

Yankeeknickfan wrote:Not really much of a soccer fan, I watch the World Cup but, that's about it.'when they start playing real games I'm gonna see if I could really get it.

Good to hear that you'll be giving them a chance. I would even suggest going to a game or two this season just to feel the atmosphere of MLS soccer. It's an amazing experience live.
LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#98 » by LittleOzzy » Sun Mar 1, 2015 1:24 pm

With the start of the 20th Major League Soccer season just fives days away, a new era has begun on RealGM with the creation of an MLS forum.

Come discuss NYCFC on the NEW MLS Forum.
LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#99 » by LittleOzzy » Wed Mar 4, 2015 12:52 am

[tweet]https://twitter.com/RonWaxman/status/572919260705632256[/tweet]

Things in New York are getting serious.
NoLayupRule
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#100 » by NoLayupRule » Thu Mar 5, 2015 5:48 pm

LittleOzzy wrote:[tweet]https://twitter.com/RonWaxman/status/572919260705632256[/tweet]

Things in New York are getting serious.

thats bananas!

by the way I have season tix with my work peeps

sitting in the tifosi section
supporters section
whatever

Return to Major League Soccer