Roster: Link
News: Link
LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,197

Re: Sporting Kansas City Discussion Thread 

Post#2 » by LittleOzzy » Sun Mar 1, 2015 1:50 pm

With the start of the 20th Major League Soccer season just fives days away, a new era has begun on RealGM with the creation of an MLS forum.

Come discuss the Sporting KC on the NEW MLS Forum.
LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#3 » by LittleOzzy » Mon Mar 2, 2015 2:22 am

Transfer Watch: Sporting Kansas City visiting with Dutch international Rafael van der Vaart?

Among Sporting Kansas City supporters he goes by "RVDV" these days, short for Rafael van der Vaart.

If you're not keeping up with your Bundesliga soccer these days, that's the name of the Dutch forward who plays for Hamburger SV, the current team of USMNT World Cup goal scorer Julian Green.

Van der Vaart, an accomplished Dutch international who has played for European giants like Real Madrid and Tottenham Hotspur, was a popular topic among Sporting KC faithful on Sunday after Hamburg expert Daniel Busch tweeted the following:

[tweet]https://twitter.com/dan_bu/status/572063929544921089[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/dan_bu/status/572064663749435392[/tweet]

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2 ... -der-vaart
LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#4 » by LittleOzzy » Mon Mar 2, 2015 9:03 pm

Sporting Kansas City sign Canadian international defender Marcel de Jong

Sporting Kansas City continued their offseason makeover on Monday by announcing that they have signed Canadian international left back Marcel de Jong.

De Jong is the 13th player added by Kansas City ahead of their return to the Western Conference. Sporting are scheduled to kick off the 2015 season against the team that knocked them out of last year's playoffs, the New York Red Bulls on Sunday at Sporting Park (7pm ET, FOX Sports 1, FOX Deportes)

The 28-year-old de Jong, last with German Bundesliga club Augsburg, has made 31 career appearances for Canada, debuting in November 2007.

“We continue to look to add experience in the players joining our roster,” Sporting Kansas City manager Peter Vermes said in a club statement. “Marcel’s time in the German Bundesliga and with the Canadian men’s national team will bring excellent experience to the team.”

De Jong had been on trial with Sporting at the Desert Diamond Cup in Tucson, Arizona, making four appearances at left back.

“I am happy to be here, and I am looking forward to a great season with Sporting Kansas City,” de Jong said. “I hope that we can do well and achieve our goals.”

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2 ... el-de-jong
LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#5 » by LittleOzzy » Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:25 am

Canada's Marcel de Jong challenging longtime Sporting KC starter Seth Sinovic for spot at left back

It's been a while since Sporting Kansas City had a decent position battle at left back. That's all about to change. In fact, it already has.

Seth Sinovic won the job from Michael Harrington in 2011 and has held onto it since, proving to be a durable and consistent performer for his hometown club. The preseason acquisition of Canadian international and Bundesliga veteran Marcel de Jong portends a higher level of competition for time, though – and Sinovic, who led Sporting with 3,385 minutes and 37 full-90 outings across all competitions in 2014, is looking forward to that.

“Obviously, he's got a good pedigree, and having him in in preseason, he's done really well,” Sinovic told MLSsoccer.com last week during the team's annual media day. “He's a really good player. He's blended in with the guys on and off the field. Competition's always good, always makes the team better.

“The more good players you have in practice, the better the team's going to get. So it's a good thing, all around.”

De Jong, meanwhile, is not coming to MLS to be a backup – especially not after parting ways with FC Augsburg in January because he was unhappy with his reserve role there.

“I have to just show everybody what I can do and just wait for the opportunity to come,” he told MLSsoccer.com on Tuesday. “If it comes next week, or next month, I don't know. I just have to be ready and show everybody what I can do. But I'm confident. I know what I can do. So I'm looking forward to the battles.”

Manager and technical director Peter Vermes was not looking for a Bundesliga-grade left back going into the club's training camp in Tucson, Arizona, but he was not about to let the opportunity get away once it presented itself.

“I knew of the player, and I knew that six months to a year ago, he was untouchable,” Vermes told MLSsoccer.com on Tuesday. “He had a huge transfer fee and all kinds of different things around his situation.”

Then Augsburg let de Jong out of his contract in January, and the untouchable became attainable.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2 ... th-sinovic
LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#6 » by LittleOzzy » Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:16 pm

Sporting KC signs Portuguese defender Nuno André Coelho

Sporting Kansas City has signed Portuguese defender Nuno André Coelho, the club announced on Tuesday. Coelho will occupy an international roster spot pending receipt of his International Transfer Certificate and P-1 Visa.

Per club and MLS policy, terms of the deal will not be disclosed. Coelho was acquired as a discovery signing.

“Our intention during the offseason has been to add players to each of our lines,” Sporting KC Manager Peter Vermes said. “Nuno comes to us with a tremendous amount of experience and adds another dimension to how we want to play as a team.”

Coelho, 30, has played more than 160 matches during a 12-year professional career in Europe, including seven appearances in the UEFA Champions League with Portuguese clubs SC Braga and FC Porto. The 6-foot-4 center back most recently played for Balikesirspor of the Turkish Super Lig during the 2014-15 season.

“I am very excited to join Sporting Kansas City,” Coelho said. “This is a club with a very good reputation and I think it will be a perfect fit for me.”

http://www.sportingkc.com/post/2016/01/26/sporting-kc-signs-portuguese-defender-nuno-andr-coelho
LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#7 » by LittleOzzy » Tue Mar 8, 2016 4:30 pm

Sporting KC acquires 22-year-old striker Diego Rubio on loan

Sporting Kansas City announced Tuesday that the club has acquired 22-year-old Chilean striker Diego Rubio on a loan as a Young Designated Player.

Rubio will occupy an international spot on Sporting Kansas City’s roster pending receipt of his International Transfer Certificate and P-1 Visa.

“We are excited to bring Rubio to the club,” Sporting KC Manager Peter Vermes said. “We have a lot of games coming up in a short amount of time so it will be important to get him integrated into our team and see how he performs on the field.”

Rubio has recorded 37 goals and 15 assists during a five-year professional career in South America and Europe. The forward joins Sporting Kansas City from Real Valladolid of the Spanish Segunda Division, where he made 14 appearances during the 2015-16 season.

A native of Santiago, Chile, Rubio played for 18-time Primeira Liga champion Sporting Clube de Portugal from 2011-2015, scoring 22 goals in 52 games for the club’s reserve team Sporting B. He also made 20 senior team appearances, including six in the 2011-12 UEFA Europa League as he helped the club advance to the tournament semifinals.

http://www.sportingkc.com/post/2016/03/08/sporting-kc-acquires-22-year-old-striker-diego-rubio-loan
LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#8 » by LittleOzzy » Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:30 am

Why Johnny Russell chose Sporting KC over a chance to play in the Premier League

More than 3,000 miles from the United States, Johnny Russell frequently sat inside his home and flipped on the TV. During the weekends, he found himself settling on channels showing American sports, particularly Major League Soccer. He had never lived in the U.S. — only visited a handful of times even — but there was a certain appeal to it.

“Over the last few years, playing in (MLS), it became something I’ve been really interested in doing,” Russell said in a phone interview with The Star. “But it had to be the right move.”

Sporting Kansas City called nearly two months ago, and truth be told, the timing of it wasn’t ideal. Not initially.

Russell was a regular for Derby County, a club within position for elevation to the Premier League. When he envisioned a move to the United States, bypassing a potential jump to the Premier League wasn’t part of the plan. Kansas City wasn’t exactly the determined location, either. Russell, who was born in Scotland, has vacationed in the United States, but those stops were Orlando, New York and Miami.

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/mls/sporting-kc/article200350934.html

Return to Major League Soccer