FIBA World Cup Qualifcation Process

Moderators: jman3134, Livno , Curtis Lemansky

mojo13
Senior
And1: 444

FIBA World Cup Qualifcation Process 

Post#1 » by mojo13 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:42 pm

I was curious if anyone knew the plans of USA Basketball for the 2019 WC Qualification process. I have not heard a peep out of USA Basketball and I am sure 99% of fans don't realize a) the WC qualification process has changed and b) the USA actually needs to participate in the qualification process (as opposed to historically directly qualifying by winning the Olympics) c) the USA (or anyone really) will not have access to NBA players for at least 4 of the 6 home and home windows.

Is there some sort of plan to put a d-league type team together this summer to train?

The 2017 FIBA AmeriCup is in Aug/Sept 2017 and the USA is supposedly participating per FIBA (which is unusual). It is a seemingly meaningless tournament other than prepping for the Nov 2017 WC Qualification window.

For thse that don't understand the qualification process:

http://www.fiba.com/calendar2017/FBWC2019AmericasQualifiersENG.pdf
Mirotic12
Rookie
And1: 349

Re: FIBA World Cup Qualifcation Process 

Post#2 » by Mirotic12 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:39 pm

As far as I know, FIBA will schedule Team USA games only when NBA season isn't active. So no problem for USA, unless that changes. I'm not sure what other teams will do with their NBA players, but probably simply not have them.
mojo13
Senior
And1: 444

Post#3 » by mojo13 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:18 pm

I am not believing that until you can point to something official somewhere.
That seems like such an absurd thought that the USA would have some sort of special rights to only play games during the non-NBA season windows.
Any other country that is somewhat reliant on NBA players would be up in arms.

Maybe all countries will have that opportunity, but then why have mid season home and home windows rather than just play in the summer?

Not that FIBA has the most noble reputation. I could imagine FIBA saying - "Pay us $2M and you can play just the summer windows".
Mirotic12
Rookie
And1: 349

Post#4 » by Mirotic12 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:42 pm

mojo13 wrote:I am not believing that until you can point to something official somewhere.
That seems like such an absurd thought that the USA would have some sort of special rights to only play games during the non-NBA season windows.
Any other country that is somewhat reliant on NBA players would be up in arms.

Maybe all countries will have that opportunity, but then why have mid season home and home windows rather than just play in the summer?

Not that FIBA has the most noble reputation. I could imagine FIBA saying - "Pay us $2M and you can play just the summer windows".

One of the top heads of FIBA (I think like a the 2nd guy in charge) was saying it in some interview I saw. They were asking about NBA players and that issue, and he said USA games can be scheduled all during NBA off times so it will be no problem.

Obviously, they can't schedule every team on NBA off time...so it must be a reference solely to USA, or maybe it is to USA/Canada. But no way can they schedule every team with NBA payers during NBA off times. Or maybe he just meant in general, and not as an actual rule. No other team can lodge a complaint, when they don't make it a rule, and just schedule "by random chance" USA that way every time. They already did it for years, giving USA best schedule and best bracket in every tournament on purpose, and always claiming it was "by random chance", even though everyone knows it wasn't.

As far as playing just in summer, the European teams demanded that end. They will no longer agree to playing just in summer, because it is killing their players and that's why in recent years some of the European teams miss 5-10 of their best players each tournament. The NBA season is shorter than the season in big European clubs. So it started to become an issue where the guys in European national and club teams, simply don't want to play in any national team games anymore - or if they do, they retire 5-10 years earlier than they used to.

It became such a problem in recent years, that EuroBasket, World Cup, and Olympics level started to noticeably drop by quite a lot. Under the summer only schedule, if a player was playing in a good European club team, plus his European national team, he was playing 11 out of the 12 months of the year, every single year, and in some cases, for years on end. In recent years, many of the biggest European players simply quit playing for their national teams, and said the schedule was impossible. So the European federations demanded this change to FIBA World's schedule. I don't think it's possible to ever go back to the summer only schedule. Not since European club basketball became so strenuous, with a 10 month long requirement for players under contract.

Return to International Basketball