Smaller International League Salaries

Moderator: THE J0KER

Paulaly45
Ballboy
And1: 1

Smaller International League Salaries 

Post#1 » by Paulaly45 » Tue May 8, 2012 5:02 pm

Hello,
I am a recent college basketball grad and am very interested in heading over seas to play basketball but I need some help figuring the process all out...
I have a couple questions I was hoping someone could answer. I am mostly interested in Ireland, what is the average salary of the Superleague there? What about some of the leagues in the UK and Scotland? Although my main focus is Ireland so if anyone has any info on that it would be great!
I also have an Irish passport with dual citizenship, will this help me get a roster spot on any of these team?
Any info is much appreciated, thanks!
Dontd
Ballboy

Re: Smaller International League Salaries 

Post#2 » by Dontd » Wed May 9, 2012 8:20 pm

Well firstly it depends on your capabilities and further results in the team, but considering the fact that Irish/UK leagues are pretty weak and basketball isn't very popular, I believe as average or below average type of player you could get ~2k euros/pounds most likely, if its your first season (in your case it is) they may not pay you at all, just give accomondation. But it mostly depends on your level and the impression about you in workout or video you'll send.
Paulaly45
Ballboy

Post#3 » by Paulaly45 » Thu May 10, 2012 3:21 am

Thanks for the information! Are you saying 2k per month or for the season? Is that all I can expect in Ireland? That is my top preference?
Dontd
Ballboy

Post#4 » by Dontd » Thu May 10, 2012 7:14 am

I believe for a first year if you're not some great player this is max per month, usually in this kind of leagues salaries avg 1000-2000 per month, but as I said there may be many varieties like acomondation + 1k etc... But you may get more, for example, my friend gonna play/study in denmark (first league) next year so they give him only acomondations , but if he shows good results they will pay him as well, other guy had an offer from maybe 3rd or smth belgium league and they offered 1k+ acomondation, but the level in this type of league is ~semiamateur. All in all, I believe you should expect 1000-2000 euros/pounds.
Paulaly45
Ballboy

Post#5 » by Paulaly45 » Thu May 10, 2012 2:15 pm

ok thank you for the info. sorry for all the questions but is this normally the only job these players have or do the programs hook them up with other on the side jobs (I cant imagine these leagues take up all their time)?
Also what is the level of player in these league. I played D2 basketball in the U.S. on full scholarship and was one of the first players off the bench my senior year. How is this compared to other leagues across EU?
Will my dual citizenship help my recruitment at all?
Dontd
Ballboy

Post#6 » by Dontd » Thu May 10, 2012 11:09 pm

Well in these leagues players usually have 1 practise per day in the evening and they have common jobs as well, some guys just use the benefits of accommondation and enjoy free living while saving most of the money they earn. For example, you can play basketball, train children and team's owner could give you some job in his company (this kind of things may happen).
Personally, I have no idea what kind of bball level is in Ireland as neither I nor my friends have played there, but I believe it's nothing special, can't compare it to NCAA II as well, probably higher level, but who knows, well I think that the top few teams are ok, rest total amateurs. In french/spanish/italian 3rd league you would most likely earn more money and at the same time play much higher level basketball. Let's put it out this way, for example, Lithuanian national leagues aren't considered as strong in Europe, most likely average, but Danish first league's level is as good as Lithuania's 2nd league bottom teams, so nothing fancy.
European citizenship always helps in Europe.
I think you should send some email's with your videos and stats to various teams like spanish, italian, french, german 2nd/3rd league teams, this would be much better choice, well if they choose you.
JustMagic
Senior
And1: 24

Post#7 » by JustMagic » Sat Jun 2, 2012 8:03 pm

Do you have by any chance some Jewish roots? because if you do, then you might get Israeli citizenship and play pro basketball here in Israel (brobably in 2nd devision though).

Basically Ireland is not that much into basketball so level there is low and so are the salaries.
The big markets for US players are: Spain, Greece, Turkey, Italy, France, Russia and Israel, but it's mostly for former D1 college players (and even former draft picks) and they can earn 200,000$ - 1,500,000$ per season (after taxes).

The smaller basketball markets are: Germany, belgium, Balkan countries, Scandinavian countries, Ukraine, Portugal.
I know that some Israeli players that couldn't make a living out of basketball here in Israel (medium-top 2nd devision players) used their dual euro citizenship to play in places like Sweden or Denemark or 2nd-3rd league in Germany and they eraned enough to save and to live without working in other jobs.
bigomcnasty
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#8 » by bigomcnasty » Tue Jun 5, 2012 6:32 pm

I played for an Irish team in February for six weeks. They sent their first American home middle end of the season. Performance issues. They got my plane ticket, 150 euro a week, 2 meals a day, hotel room and gym membership. Some teams had better budgets for sure. They might be changing the rules for next season with 2 Americans per team. Also might be helpful, Malta is a similar level, with one foreigner on the court at a time, (they also are thinking about adding more foreigners). Last I heard they were both were going to have a vote. Only three practices a week in Ireland. I think it was three is Malta. I played NAIA college ball. Hope that helps.
Cheers
Paulaly45
Ballboy

Post#9 » by Paulaly45 » Wed Jun 6, 2012 4:11 am

thanks a lot bigomcnasty!
so what league did you play in? ive been told I can play in the super league? I was wondering how much the average american in that league makes? is it enough to have a living? Ireland is my top destination and I want to see if this can be a reality... any and all info is helpful!
yegan
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#10 » by yegan » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:35 am

This is interesting thanks for the info

Paulaly45
Ballboy

Post#11 » by Paulaly45 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:24 am

Thank you so much for that response! I very much appreciate your experience and knowledge! So basically here is a little about me... yes I was a scholarship player and was on a very good team so I have been told this Ireland level is fine for me. My mother was born in Ireland, making me an Irish citizen and I have the passport and everything (allowing me to take away from the American quota) I am about 6'7 and can play both inside and outside. Basically why I want to play in Ireland is because I have family there and a lot of passion for the country. My grand parents along with aunts and uncles and cousins live there and I am very close with many of them.
I am not looking to live like a superstar, I just want to make a decent wage doing something I love in a place that I love. if this 2000 euro figure is accurate, that is enough for me! How likely are these teams to want me is basically my question, I have an agent and he is looking into this and a few other countries but basically he has a tough time being realistic with me and doesnt want to get my hopes up or down. Are these teams likely to take an American player with the Irish status there?
Also how does practice work, I will only get paid a wage for the season correct? I have also been told I can be set up with other jobs which will take place during the weeks as practice is generally at night. any more info with this??
anything is greatly appreciated!
Dontd
Ballboy

Post#12 » by Dontd » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:00 am

Well dude, it depends. Cos sometimes you get paid, for example, 100 euros per game and they give you living, sometimes per month, sometimes per practise and per game, it depends on your agreement and definitely skill. Since you're 6'7'' in Ireland you'll play definitely inside and most likely as a power players, cos usually in these kind of leagues and even higher they are not too much skilled technically, but playing really physical basketball, so get ready to play PF, maybe even C. My friend in Denmark is 6'6'' SF/PF he plays in top 5 team as I remember and is like 2nd tallest guy in team, so get ready. In your place I'd ask teams manager for a regular job as addition and chance to coach children or youth teams, cos in this way you could make normal money and afford decent living. Good luck
Dontd
Ballboy

Post#13 » by Dontd » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:02 am

And btw, you don't need an agent to get into Irish league, just email teams, send them your stats, maybe video, go to Ireland for a practise and you're in, its actually not such a big deal :D
Paulaly45
Ballboy

Post#14 » by Paulaly45 » Mon Jul 2, 2012 2:55 am

Thanks so much! anyone else with info? getting down to crunch time
guille_4
Sixth Man
And1: 845

Post#15 » by guille_4 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:41 pm

I agree with Dontd, you should definitely look into coaching youth teams, you can make a little extra cash and it can actually be pretty fun. If you are planning on visiting your Irish family anytime soon, ask your agent to try and set up a few tryouts with the top teams in the league.
xprt
Sixth Man
And1: 69

Post#16 » by xprt » Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:00 pm

My advice would be if you wanna try to make basketball career and you feel you have room for improvement I suggest you to choose more known basketball countries in EU rather than Ireland. Because even playing for Spain 3rd league on one of the bottom teams competition would be tougher, coaches, staff are better so you will have better chance of improvement also there will be way more scouts who will look for talent for their teams so better opportunities to be resognised. I suggest googling some agencies or scouts and send them your videos with measurements maybe you will get lucky and get invite in to preseason camp...
Dr Mufasa wrote:I believe Jonas will be one of the biggest draft busts of all time.To me he's an unathletic Javale McGee.
Paulaly45
Ballboy

Post#17 » by Paulaly45 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:20 pm

thanks xpert I appreciate the knowledge and insight!
Paulaly45
Ballboy

Post#18 » by Paulaly45 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:29 am

Anyone else with some helpful info??
Greek
Starter
And1: 447

Post#19 » by Greek » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:23 am

You have asked me on the other thread about the wages in Cyprus. A Greek player 34 y/o 6'10 with plenty experience in 2nd div in Greece offered him less than 1000 euros...
Paulaly45
Ballboy

Post#20 » by Paulaly45 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:13 pm

Which league was this that offered him?

Return to International Basketball