Brazil names 4 NBA players to Olympics squad?

Moderator: THE J0KER

FabioJazz
Ballboy
And1: 12

Brazil names 4 NBA players to Olympics squad? 

Post#1 » by FabioJazz » Fri May 18, 2012 6:37 pm

The best brazilian team i've ever seen. Only USA and Spain are better in theory. What do you guys think?

Squad:

PG: Marcelo Huertas (Barcelona), Larry Taylor (Bauru), Raulzinho (Lagun Aro BGC)
SG: Leandro Barbosa (Indiana Pacers), Marcelo Machado (Flamengo),
SF: Marquinhos (Pinheiros), Alex (Brasilia), Guilherme Giovannoni (Brasilia),
PF: Anderson Varejao (Cleveland Cavaliers), Tiago Splitter (San Antonio Spurs),
C: Nene (Washington Wizards), Rafael Hettsheimer (Zaragoza), Caio Torres (Flamengo)

By Associated Press, Updated: Thursday, May 17, 5:37 PM

SAO PAULO — Brazil’s men’s basketball team will be led by NBA players Nene, Leandro Barbosa, Tiago Splitter and Anderson Varejao when it returns to the Olympics for the first time in 16 years.

The four were part of coach Ruben Magnano’s 15-player list Thursday. Also included was point guard Larry Taylor, who recently became a Brazilian citizen.

Only 12 players will make it to London, but Taylor and the NBA players will likely be on the team because two players on the list are there to gain experience in practice and another has a knee injury and is not expected to recover in time.

Brazil’s men last competed in the Olympics in 1996, reaching the quarterfinals in Atlanta.

There had been doubts whether Nene and Barbosa would be picked because they asked not to play in the pre-Olympic tournament. The request drew criticism from fans and other Brazilian players.

“I decided to give them another chance after personally talking to them,” Magnano said. “I wouldn’t call up a player if I didn’t have any trust in him.”

Nene moved from the Denver Nuggets to the Washington Wizards at the NBA’s trade deadline. Barbosa is in the playoffs with the Indiana Pacers.

Splitter was also still in the playoffs with the San Antonio Spurs. Varejao missed the final part of the regular season with the Cleveland Cavaliers because of a wrist injury.

“This has been a longtime dream of mine,” Varejao said. “I’ve played in a lot of competitions with Brazil, but playing in the Olympics is different. I’m very motivated. I think we have a group capable of fighting for a medal in London.”

Taylor never made it to the NBA. He had been asked by Magnano to practice with Brazil before last year’s Olympic qualifying tournament, but he couldn’t stay on the team because the government indicated the naturalization process wouldn’t be completed in time.

Also on the preliminary squad was Barcelona point guard Marcelinho Huertas. Local players Ricardo Fischer and Ronaldo Rodrigues were “invited” to participate in preparations. Rafael Hettsheimer, who plays in Spain, was included even though he faces knee surgery.

The players gather June 10 for a month of preparations in Sao Paulo and then will play exhibition games before the Olympics.

Brazil will open in London against Australia and then face host Britain. China and Spain, runner-up to the U.S. in the Beijing Games, are also in Group B, along with a qualifier to be determined in Venezuela in July.

The Brazilian basketball federation said Magnano, an Argentine who helped Brazil earn the Olympic spot in last year’s qualifying tournament in Argentina, it extended his contract until the 2016 Olympics in Rio.
Chalk1
Rookie
And1: 398

Re: Brazil names 4 NBA players to Olympics squad? 

Post#2 » by Chalk1 » Fri May 18, 2012 6:44 pm

WTF is Larry Taylor, and why not take a youngster like Freire?

Nene?? When was the last time, if ever that he played on the team?

If that team actually does show up it will be a tough out for any team.
FabioJazz
Ballboy

Post#3 » by FabioJazz » Fri May 18, 2012 7:04 pm

Chalk1 wrote:WTF is Larry Taylor, and why not take a youngster like Freire?

Nene?? When was the last time, if ever that he played on the team?

If that team actually does show up it will be a tough out for any team.

Larry Taylor is a solid point guard. He plays in the Brazilian League. http://lnb.com.br/jogadores/larry-james-taylor-jr/

17 ppg, 5.5 rpg, 6.5 apg and almost 2 steals. [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mFMfWaufUs[/youtube]

Rafael Freire Luz is too young. Raulzinho Togni Neto also, but i think he is better. And Brazil needs solid guard when Huertas is on the bench. Freire is for the future.

And Nene will play. Now in Wizards, with a high sallary guaranteed.
Raptor_Claw
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#4 » by Raptor_Claw » Sat May 19, 2012 12:16 am

Is there are a reason why you have Hettsheimeir at C and Splitter at PF, and Garcia at SF and Machado at SG? Pretty sure you have their positions reversed. Especially with Garcia. He's a combo guard.

Also, I am pretty sure that Nene would play PF and Varejao would play C.

Vitor Faverani should be on Brazil's team. He is one of the best centers in the Spanish League.

They should have a really strong roster, but the best thing about Brazil is definitely their coach. Their coach makes the players play better than they normally would.
FabioJazz
Ballboy

Post#5 » by FabioJazz » Sat May 19, 2012 1:52 am

Raptor_Claw wrote:Is there are a reason why you have Hettsheimeir at C and Splitter at PF, and Garcia at SF and Machado at SG? Pretty sure you have their positions reversed. Especially with Garcia. He's a combo guard.

Also, I am pretty sure that Nene would play PF and Varejao would play C.

Vitor Faverani should be on Brazil's team. He is one of the best centers in the Spanish League.

They should have a really strong roster, but the best thing about Brazil is definitely their coach. Their coach makes the players play better than they normally would.

Oh, that's why Alex Garcia plays in Brazil at SF. He is the best perimeter defender in this team and undersized. So, he guards the best backcourt player. Usually, Alex is SG and SF. Machado (2.00 m) 3 pointer killer also.

You can change. No problem.

Huertas PG
Barbosa SG - (Alex Garcia)
Marquinhos SF( Machado) (Giovanonni)

Without NBA players, in Fiba Americas Mar Del Plata 2011, Hettsheimer played at C. He killed Scola in the first game against Argentina (Scola also played at C). Giovanonni was PF.

IMO, Magnano will chose Nene at C and Varejão at PF, like old Brazils team. Splitter ls the 6th man. Hettsheimer is injured, i dont know if will be able to play in London. Do you think is the best frontcourt in Olympic Games?

And I agree, Faverani could be in the list. But Caio Torres (former ACB Player) is a good player. Better in offense.

Return to International Basketball