Europe to the NBA?

Moderator: THE J0KER

Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft
And1: 1,765

Europe to the NBA? 

Post#1 » by Cammo101 » Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:55 pm

Which international players do you think could come in and play in the NBA next year? I'm not talking about draft age players or younger, but guys who could be free agents. Guys like Theodorus Papaloukas. Who do you guys think could come and do well in the NBA?
AdamTheGreek
RealGM
And1: 2,115

Post#2 » by AdamTheGreek » Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:14 pm

Papaloukas will not go, he's too old and getting massive amounts of money to stay in Europe that far outweigh any possible wishes of having an NBA career (especially when he'd demand to be a starter). Sadly for Theo, he's starting to decline a bit in my eyes (hope I'm wrong come NT time).

Diamantidis is the guy to keep an eye on. He's already a god with PAO and he's young enough to come over. Plus, his defense and size alone will garner him a lot of NBA team interest.
Twitter: @PapageorgiouMBO
Penny & Pops Podcast (Orlando Magic): https://soundcloud.com/137665379
Livno
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1

Post#3 » by Livno » Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:13 pm

Nikola Vujcic said last summer that he will move to the NBA next season!
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.
suckfish
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,273

Post#4 » by suckfish » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:06 pm

I agree about both Papaloukas and Diamantidis.

Papaloukas has never struck me as a player with an NBA game, great great player, but I'm not sure he is very well suited to the speed and athleticism of the NBA. Possibly in the right situation and team he could be pretty effective, well he could have been, it's a little late now with his age in consideration. A very smart player though and an ideal floor general.

As a bulls fan, Vujcic would be somewhat of a dream. Probably would be a better fit somewhere other than Chicago, but I'd still love him. Not the low post guy the bulls both desperately want and need, but instead a very skilled big who is not just great from the high post facing up and shooting (not that he can't play with his back to the basket either), but also a highly skilled passer. Would be interesting to see how he would translate to the NBA playing a point-forward role, kicking out to shooters and feeding athletic wings on cuts..

I haven't been following the Euroleague half as much as I would want too or have done in past seasons, so I'm not the best guy to judge these players based on their recent basketball.

Wasn't Vujcic suffering from a little injury a while ago? Anyone care to update me? I'm a little out of touch.. Wasn't he out a little while only just after he had returned from injury?
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft
And1: 1,765

Post#5 » by Cammo101 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:15 am

IMO Diamantidis would be a perfect fit in Orlando where he can spend time at the PG and SG positions. We have the MLE and should spend some or all of it on him.
AdamTheGreek
RealGM
And1: 2,115

Post#6 » by AdamTheGreek » Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:24 am

If he wants to play in the NBA, someone will offer him more than the MLE (that's what I'd offer).
Twitter: @PapageorgiouMBO
Penny & Pops Podcast (Orlando Magic): https://soundcloud.com/137665379
pustiuady
Ballboy
And1: 0

Re: Europe to the NBA? 

Post#7 » by pustiuady » Sat Apr 7, 2012 8:13 pm

More players from Europe are good for play in NBA. In Germany champion ship, France, Turkey...
turkishstar
Sophomore
And1: 1

Post#8 » by turkishstar » Mon Apr 9, 2012 6:14 pm

After i see Rubio's performance, i believe that Teodosic can be very succesfull
VUK1
Sophomore
And1: 29

Post#9 » by VUK1 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:31 am

turkishstar wrote:After i see Rubio's performance, i believe that Teodosic can be very succesfull

I think Teodosic would be fantastic on offence, he's shooting is superb and court vision and passing is better than Rubio, but in defence Rubio is 10 X the better player...
Johnlac1
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,605

Post#10 » by Johnlac1 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:32 pm

VUK1 wrote:
turkishstar wrote:After i see Rubio's performance, i believe that Teodosic can be very succesfull

I think Teodosic would be fantastic on offence, he's shooting is superb and court vision and passing is better than Rubio, but in defence Rubio is 10 X the better player...

After seeing a few CSKA games he's definitely an excellent shooter and capable ballhandler-passer, but he's not in Rubio's league as a passer or seeing the court. Rubio is one of the best I've ever seen regarding court vision and passing skills going back to Bob Cousy and Oscar Robertson. Top five ever.
Raptor_Claw
Banned User

Post#11 » by Raptor_Claw » Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:01 pm

Johnlac1 wrote:
VUK1 wrote:

After seeing a few CSKA games he's definitely an excellent shooter and capable ballhandler-passer, but he's not in Rubio's league as a passer or seeing the court. Rubio is one of the best I've ever seen regarding court vision and passing skills going back to Bob Cousy and Oscar Robertson. Top five ever.

Teodosic can make every pass Rubio can and so can numerous other play makers in Europe. Also, Teodosic isn't an excellent shooter. He has unlimited range and a very quick release, but he's extremely streaky.
Johnlac1
Lead Assistant

Post#12 » by Johnlac1 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:04 pm

"numerous playmakers"

I sincerely doubt that.
Raptor_Claw
Banned User

Post#13 » by Raptor_Claw » Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:34 pm

Johnlac1 wrote:"numerous playmakers"

I sincerely doubt that.

So you know this after seeing a few games of one team? Rubio was nothing special in Euroleague. Several play makers in Euroleague can make the same passes Rubio makes. It's not unusual in Europe, where passing is a lot more emphasized and prized than it is in the American game. Rubio might be flashier than others, but he's not much of a better passer.

You have said that Llull looks like Nash from watching him play, so you obviously have not seen that much European basketball. Llull is considered below average in passing terms for Euroleague point guards.
VUK1
Sophomore

Post#14 » by VUK1 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:50 am

"After seeing a few CSKA games he's definitely an excellent shooter and capable ballhandler-passer, but he's not in Rubio's league as a passer or seeing the court. Rubio is one of the best I've ever seen regarding court vision and passing skills going back to Bob Cousy and Oscar Robertson. Top five ever."

Sorry but Teodosic actually has a better passing range and better court vision than Rubio. I think most Spanish fans would even admit that as well as most people that follow the Euroleague. You "few games" watching CSKA is no way enough to judge. Believe me Teodosic is an absolute freak with his passing and court vision. He does have range and is absolute clutch but I admit is a little streaky. But in comparing his with Rubio he is miles ahead when you think about Rubio's struggles from 3.

Again, his major downside in a potential transition to the NBA would be on defense. This is where Rubio has pleasantly surprised most followers of European bball and has been excellent in the NBA. Teodosic is simply to slow and doesnt have the long arms that Rubio has. I shudder to imagine Teo trying to stop Westbrook or Rose etc.
Johnlac1
Lead Assistant

Post#15 » by Johnlac1 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:36 am

VUK1 wrote:"After seeing a few CSKA games he's definitely an excellent shooter and capable ballhandler-passer, but he's not in Rubio's league as a passer or seeing the court. Rubio is one of the best I've ever seen regarding court vision and passing skills going back to Bob Cousy and Oscar Robertson. Top five ever."

Sorry but Teodosic actually has a better passing range and better court vision than Rubio. I think most Spanish fans would even admit that as well as most people that follow the Euroleague. You "few games" watching CSKA is no way enough to judge. Believe me Teodosic is an absolute freak with his passing and court vision. He does have range and is absolute clutch but I admit is a little streaky. But in comparing his with Rubio he is miles ahead when you think about Rubio's struggles from 3.

Again, his major downside in a potential transition to the NBA would be on defense. This is where Rubio has pleasantly surprised most followers of European bball and has been excellent in the NBA. Teodosic is simply to slow and doesnt have the long arms that Rubio has. I shudder to imagine Teo trying to stop Westbrook or Rose etc.

I'll stick to my original statement: Rubio is a much better passer than Teodosic. Or anyone else for that matter. As for defense, Teodosic wouldn't do a worse job than Steve Nash. Probably better since Nash has always been mediocre or worse on defense. In fact, Teodosic paired with Westbrook would be a pretty good combination. He can really shoot.
Raptor_Claw
Banned User

Post#16 » by Raptor_Claw » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:10 pm

Johnlac1 wrote:I'll stick to my original statement: Rubio is a much better passer than Teodosic. Or anyone else for that matter. As for defense, Teodosic wouldn't do a worse job than Steve Nash. Probably better since Nash has always been mediocre or worse on defense. In fact, Teodosic paired with Westbrook would be a pretty good combination. He can really shoot.

You obviously never once saw Rubio play in Euroleague, if you really believe this. Once again, he is nothing special by Euroleague standards, in terms of passing.

Also, Teodosic would be a disaster playing next to Westbrook. Teodosic has to have the ball in his hands at all times. He is awful playing off the ball. His shooting is also much better off the dribble, as opposed to off the catch and shoot.

Teodosic and Westbrook, neither one of them can play off the ball effectively. That combination would have a zero chance of succeeding.
VUK1
Sophomore

Post#17 » by VUK1 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:34 am

Johnlac1 wrote:

Thats cool, agree to disagree. I can just see him having more points and more assists than rubio in the NBA. I think maybe Orlando would be a better fit, a target man for him inside, plenty of shooters waiting on the wings and then Dwight can protect the inside when whoever Teo is guarding gets past him...
Johnlac1
Lead Assistant

Post#18 » by Johnlac1 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:57 pm

Raptor_Claw wrote:
Johnlac1 wrote:I'll stick to my original statement: Rubio is a much better passer than Teodosic. Or anyone else for that matter. As for defense, Teodosic wouldn't do a worse job than Steve Nash. Probably better since Nash has always been mediocre or worse on defense. In fact, Teodosic paired with Westbrook would be a pretty good combination. He can really shoot.

You obviously never once saw Rubio play in Euroleague, if you really believe this. Once again, he is nothing special by Euroleague standards, in terms of passing.

Also, Teodosic would be a disaster playing next to Westbrook. Teodosic has to have the ball in his hands at all times. He is awful playing off the ball. His shooting is also much better off the dribble, as opposed to off the catch and shoot.

Teodosic and Westbrook, neither one of them can play off the ball effectively. That combination would have a zero chance of succeeding.

Actually, I did watch Rubio play in Euroleague games, the many clips on youtube, and the Olympics against the U.S. My original assessment still stands: Rubio is easily the better passer, Teodosic easily the better shooter. Overall, Rubio the better player.
Raptor_Claw
Banned User

Post#19 » by Raptor_Claw » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:55 pm

Johnlac1 wrote:Actually, I did watch Rubio play in Euroleague games, the many clips on youtube, and the Olympics against the U.S. My original assessment still stands: Rubio is easily the better passer, Teodosic easily the better shooter. Overall, Rubio the better player.

Most Euroleague fans are not going to believe you. I am sure you watched hours of YouTube clips, especially all the Spanish League ones. But it's really hard to take it seriously that you saw Euroleague games when you keep saying no one there can pass like Rubio.

Teodosic, Spanoulis, Huertas, Jasikevicius, Prigioni can all pass every bit as good or better than Rubio can. Diamantidis is maybe just slightly below him in passing. Papaloukas is far better than him at passing. Really, Rubio's not even all that much better at passing than even someone like Cook.

So it's just not believable that you watched Euroleague and yet are saying no one is even close to Rubio there in passing. You are not going to get most Euroleague fans to believe you.

Rubio isn't a better passer or player than Teodosic, and good luck trying to convince most Euroleague fans of that. You really overrate Rubio's level as compared to other point guards in Europe.

Vasilis Xanthopoulos (I guarantee you never even heard of him) is just as good of a passer, if not better than Rubio is. Just watch a couple Greek League games and he is making 4-5 "amazing" Rubio ESPN Sporscenter highlight passes a game, and no one hardly even reacts to them, because it's just considered good point guard play in Europe. Most basketball fans in Europe don't know who Xanthopoulos even is. It's just a random example of how Rubio's "incredible" passing and court vision, is only "incredible" in the NBA.

You can pick random European point guards that are in his level of passing. He's only some special passer in the NBA, where passing is so de-emphasized.

If you really were watching European games, you would know this. But you keep repeating all the NBA only fan talk about how Rubio is so incredible in passing, which is only something that someone that does not have any knowledge of European basketball would say.

Yes, Rubio is "amazing" at passing to people that only know NBA and NCAA. He's fairly typical in passing for most European fans. Rubio is flashier than the other point guards in Europe, just like he is flashier than the other point guards in the NBA. But he isn't a better passer than anyone in Europe and no way even remotely close to what you are claiming with comments like he is "easily better" of a passer than anyone in Europe.

You have the NBA confused with the Euroleague. Say whatever you want to about Rubio's passing ability in the NBA, but you are totally wrong when you try to claim he is way better than anyone in Europe at passing. I have seen Papaloukas make passes that Rubio could not make if his life depended on it.
Rasho Brezec
Knicks Forum Euro Scout
And1: 18,400

Post#20 » by Rasho Brezec » Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:28 am

Oh great, Kwsn-men is back. What is this, your 15th account?

Return to International Basketball