Ricky Rubio = overrated?

Moderator: THE J0KER

braves81
Ballboy
And1: 0

Ricky Rubio = overrated? 

Post#1 » by braves81 » Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:43 pm

That’s not to say that there aren’t deficiencies in Rubio’s game, though. The prodigy still needs to drastically improve his outside jumper, especially because the NBA three-point line is almost three whole feet behind international ball. Also obvious, is the lack of strength that Rubio possesses. After all, he’s only 17, and has several years to bulk up before he would need to start at the point guard spot.

Don’t get me wrong, I think Rubio will be one of the best European players to make the migration the NBA, but let’s not get ahead of ourselves too quickly. Some authors are hyping Rubio as the next Magic Johnson. For now though, I think Rubio should be considered the next great European to don the Jerry West logo on his chest.

full story
http://www.hoops4life.com/home/Ben-s-Ba ... Rubio.html

so what do you think? do you think he is overrated?

I personally think he is full of potentiol and will be nash-like player if he is drafted on 2009, of course i can be wrong...
NikeAir
Banned User

Re: Ricky Rubio = overrated? 

Post#2 » by NikeAir » Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:42 pm

Not sure he could become a good point guard like Calderon but not much ahead of that.
trk
Junior

Post#3 » by trk » Sun Sep 28, 2008 5:35 am

Rubio is a much better defender and rebounder than Nash or Calderon. If he can develop his outside shooting to the point where he can hit more than 40% of his 3-point shots like they do, he could end up being better than either of them. However, he has a very long way to go before he reaches that point and I am not convinced that his shooting will ever be that good.

Right now it looks like Rubio is good enough to be average point guard in the NBA. He isn't very good at scoring efficiently, but he brings a lot to the table in other areas. I think whether or not he can make the jump from being an average player to being an all-star level player will be determined mainly by how much he is able to improve his shooting.
revprodeji
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8
Location: Freedom consists not in doing what we like, but in having the right to do what we ought

Post#4 » by revprodeji » Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:56 am

The nBA rules against perimeter defense being physical will allow a playmaker like Rubio the chance to drive more. Also, his height will excite with the available passing lanes. I love him as a prospect.
http://www.timetoshop.org
Weight management, Sports nutrition and more...
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 1,308

Post#5 » by jman3134 » Sat Apr 11, 2009 2:45 am

trk wrote:Rubio is a much better defender and rebounder than Nash or Calderon. If he can develop his outside shooting to the point where he can hit more than 40% of his 3-point shots like they do, he could end up being better than either of them. However, he has a very long way to go before he reaches that point and I am not convinced that his shooting will ever be that good.

Right now it looks like Rubio is good enough to be average point guard in the NBA. He isn't very good at scoring efficiently, but he brings a lot to the table in other areas. I think whether or not he can make the jump from being an average player to being an all-star level player will be determined mainly by how much he is able to improve his shooting.

Great analysis. I also believe that his potential can only be realized when he develops a more consistent stroke. He has made considerable strides recently in this department though. Whether or not his defense will translate is my major concern.
revprodeji
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Location: Freedom consists not in doing what we like, but in having the right to do what we ought

Post#6 » by revprodeji » Sat Apr 11, 2009 3:04 am

why wouldnt it? defensively he seems very gifted.

perhaps a MN would be the best case for him. Where he can guard the 2 and let a Foye guard the 1. Or put Brewer on the 2 with Rubio on a slower 1. (*crazy passing lane problems)
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#7 » by jman3134 » Sat Apr 11, 2009 3:30 am

revprodeji wrote:why wouldnt it? defensively he seems very gifted.

perhaps a MN would be the best case for him. Where he can guard the 2 and let a Foye guard the 1. Or put Brewer on the 2 with Rubio on a slower 1. (*crazy passing lane problems)

In the man to man, is he that laterally quick? He has not guarded NBA point guards for an extended point of time. It's still up in the air imo.
revprodeji
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#8 » by revprodeji » Sat Apr 11, 2009 3:50 am

I agree, hence my "Foye plays offensive sg but defensive pg" idea.

It is more of an unknown than a weakness.
brassviews
Sixth Man
And1: 132

Post#9 » by brassviews » Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:31 am

Rubio is the type of player who's success depends on the system and the coach. If he's drafted by a team that doesn't match his skill sets, then he could easily struggle and eventually falter.
KWSN-Men
Banned User
And1: 13

Post#10 » by KWSN-Men » Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:46 am

NikeAir wrote:Not sure he could become a good point guard like Calderon but not much ahead of that.

I assure you, he is already much better than Calderon.
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#11 » by jman3134 » Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:04 pm

talkbasket wrote:
NikeAir wrote:Not sure he could become a good point guard like Calderon but not much ahead of that.

That's really pushing it in my opinion. I'll give you that it is closer than many think.
KWSN-Men
Banned User
And1: 13

Post#12 » by KWSN-Men » Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:08 pm

jman3134 wrote:
talkbasket wrote:

That's really pushing it in my opinion. I'll give you that it is closer than many think.

He's better than Calderon already by a good margin.
revprodeji
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#13 » by revprodeji » Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:17 pm

From what I have seen/read I would need to agree with that. He is likely better than Calderon. Bigger, faster and actually plays defense.
diggity_88
Junior

Post#14 » by diggity_88 » Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:26 am

I think many will start to hate rubio and doubt him when he first comes into the league. He's going to struggle quite a bit if putting into a starting lineup and expected to put up 7-8 assists, and control an offense. I think its gonna take about 3 years before people start to actually see his dominance. Just like the case with bargnani, they're very quick to jump off the bandwagon and call him a bust.. and im almost 100% sure that the same will be said about Rubio in his first 2 years.
diggity_88
Junior

Post#15 » by diggity_88 » Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:36 am

I think the best situation for Rubio would be to go to a young team thats in rebuild mode, looking for a fast pace run and gun style. OKC personally would be the ideal place for Rubio and will fit in perfectly. Or to be in the position of coming off the bench and slowly gaining/earning more minutes to ease his way into the game. Also that way not much so pressure and expectations are set too high for him to fall as hard
abby79
Ballboy

Post#16 » by abby79 » Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:28 am

hazy-davy
Rookie
And1: 1

Post#17 » by hazy-davy » Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:41 pm

I seriously doubt Rubio will become a star in the NBA.

Return to International Basketball