A Question For JonathanG Of DraftExpress - Ioannis Bourousis

Moderator: THE J0KER

KWSN-Men
Banned User
And1: 13

A Question For JonathanG Of DraftExpress - Ioannis Bourousis 

Post#1 » by KWSN-Men » Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:03 am

Can you tell me why this guy is not being pursued by NBA teams? 6-11 with those tools? This guy isn't in the NBA? Are you freaking kidding me?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfLG2bYlrrY&fmt=18

All we ever hear about is Tiago Splitter and Ricky Rubio, why no NBA interest in this guy? And why does your site never hype him up? Anyone with that combination of size, tools, and skills should be a target of all NBA clubs.

It seems NBA general managers really are as lacking in knowledge about players in Europe as their rep says they are. They only seem to be aware of whatever player is in the hype line and totally unaware of any others.
Apollo64
Starter
And1: 724

Re: A Question For JonathanG Of DraftExpress 

Post#2 » by Apollo64 » Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:44 am

talkbasket wrote:Can you tell me why this guy is not being pursued by NBA teams? 6-11 with those tools? This guy isn't in the NBA? Are you freaking kidding me?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfLG2bYlrrY&fmt=18

All we ever hear about is Tiago Splitter and Ricky Rubio, why no NBA interest in this guy? And why does your site never hype him up? Anyone with that combination of size, tools, and skills should be a target of all NBA clubs.

It seems NBA general managers really are as lacking in knowledge about players in Europe as their rep says they are. They only seem to be aware of whatever player is in the hype line and totally unaware of any others.

Because he is a late bloomer and was extremely raw as of three years ago. He actually started playing basketball at the age of 18 and only came in the spotlight during the last couple seasons.

I definitely agree that he can play in the NBA, he has become one of the best bigs in the Euroleague, but the fact that he is playing for Olympiacos, a team that can offer him a good enough contract to stay, doesn't make him an enticing prospect for the NBA teams. Besides, i don't think he personally had ever any interest in moving over (Greek players generally dread the idea), so that's why we don't see any hype about him.
Joana
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#3 » by Joana » Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:08 am

In Europe, Bourousis plays like a 4 on offence and a 5 on defence. In the NBA, he'd play like a 2 on offence and a 6 on defence. He needs to be more aggressive offensively (ideally adding a couple of post moves), rolling more to the basket instead of settling for so many jumpers, and to improve his defensive quickness and awareness in order to force some NBA team to pay him more than, or close to, what he'll get from Olympiacos or other European club. Otherwise I think some teams will be interested but not enough to make him a decent offer.

His agent says he'd be very interested on joining the NBA next season though.
KWSN-Men
Banned User

Post#4 » by KWSN-Men » Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:35 pm

Looks like I am right. Here is JonathanG's answer:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=889604&start=30

JonathanG

Regarding Bourousis, we've been talking about him for years now. See his DraftExpress profile. http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Yia ... ussis-118/ The holdup was always his contract. There is a lot of NBA interest in him right now and I'm sure he'll be signed by someone this summer.
Undrafted Rook
Junior
And1: 0

Re: A Question For JonathanG Of DraftExpress - Ioannis Bourousis 

Post#5 » by Undrafted Rook » Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:03 am

If he goes over to the NBA he'll be a nice Pick&Roll guy off the bench for some team. I think it's just Papaloukas part Deux, floating around those NBA rumours to get the best deal possible from an Euro Club.
AdamTheGreek
RealGM
And1: 2,112

Post#6 » by AdamTheGreek » Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:18 am

Ioannis wants to play in the NBA, but the man's love for OLY is deep so no one knows what's going through his head.

His game is perfect for the NBA and the guy shows no fear.
Twitter: @PapageorgiouMBO
Penny & Pops Podcast (Orlando Magic): https://soundcloud.com/137665379
Apollo64
Starter

Post#7 » by Apollo64 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:06 pm

Undrafted Rook wrote:If he goes over to the NBA he'll be a nice Pick&Roll guy off the bench for some team. I think it's just Papaloukas part Deux, floating around those NBA rumours to get the best deal possible from an Euro Club

Pretty much this. Even if an NBA team offers him MLE money (which may be more than he is worth), Olympiacos can easily match that and more. There would be some summer hype, but i would be very surprised if he goes to the NBA.
brassviews
Sixth Man
And1: 132

Post#8 » by brassviews » Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:43 pm

He looks like a taller and better version of Brian Cook.
Undrafted Rook
Junior
And1: 0

Post#9 » by Undrafted Rook » Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:27 pm

PopularByDemand wrote:He looks like a taller and better version of Brian Cook.

Well, both can shoot. But Bourosis can also finish well at the rim and defend. I don't think comparing him to Cook does him justice. I think a bigger but bit less explosive Carl Landry might be a good NBA comparison. I think his game is very similar to lithuanian big men, sort of like a hybrid between Lavrinovic and Javtokas.
KWSN-Men
Banned User

Post#10 » by KWSN-Men » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:41 pm

PopularByDemand wrote:He looks like a taller and better version of Brian Cook.

OMG no, he's far better than Brian Cook, FAR better.
AdamTheGreek
RealGM
And1: 2,112

Post#11 » by AdamTheGreek » Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:33 am

Trust me, Ioannis puts Cookie to shame.
Twitter: @PapageorgiouMBO
Penny & Pops Podcast (Orlando Magic): https://soundcloud.com/137665379
EuroFan
Freshman

Post#12 » by EuroFan » Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:07 pm

talkbasket wrote:Looks like I am right. Here is JonathanG's answer:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=889604&start=30

JonathanG

Regarding Bourousis, we've been talking about him for years now. See his DraftExpress profile. http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Yia ... ussis-118/ The holdup was always his contract. There is a lot of NBA interest in him right now and I'm sure he'll be signed by someone this summer.

And how does this prove you were right? It shows that you were wrong because he actually says that there is an interest in him by NBA clubs whereas you claim in your first post that NBA clubs are not after him.

He also says that DraftExpress has been on Bouroussis for years now and seeing his profile you can see that DraftExpress has been writing about him since 2005, that is four years ago.
KWSN-Men
Banned User

Post#13 » by KWSN-Men » Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:01 am

There are some rumors (just that probably) but anyway that the Houston Rockets want to sign him this summer. Anyway, the Rockets GM was in SEF watching Oly and Real.
EuroFan
Freshman

Post#14 » by EuroFan » Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:24 pm

talkbasket wrote:There are some rumors (just that probably) but anyway that the Houston Rockets want to sign him this summer. Anyway, the Rockets GM was in SEF watching Oly and Real.

1. Could you provide us a link to your 'source'?
2. No Houston GM was in SEF. Arturas Karnisovas was, who is their scout. Get your facts straight.
KWSN-Men
Banned User

Post#15 » by KWSN-Men » Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:58 pm

EuroFan wrote:No Houston GM was in SEF. Arturas Karnisovas was, who is their scout. Get your facts straight.

Your facts are incorrect sir. Morey and Karnisovas were both there.
Apollo64
Starter

Post#16 » by Apollo64 » Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:18 am

The TV commentators said that both Daryl Morey and Arturas Karnisovas were in SEF and that their main interest was Sergio Llull.

Return to International Basketball