Jeremy Tyler forgoes senior yr for Europe

Moderator: THE J0KER

HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 7,989

Jeremy Tyler forgoes senior yr for Europe 

Post#1 » by HMFFL » Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:30 am

Jeremy Tyler has decided to forgo his senior year of high school and turn pro.

Yes, high school.

This isn’t some sign of the sporting apocalypse or a teenager with an overvalued sense of worth. It’s a daring, trailblazing yet well-thought out move that challenges the bizarre way America develops amateur basketball players.

Tyler is an agile 6-11, 260-pound San Diego native, the nation’s top player in the junior class who already committed to the University of Louisville. He’s as close to a can’t-miss NBA prospect as there is; a tantalizing mix of size, speed and smarts. Scouts project him to be the No. 1 pick in the 2011 draft, when he’s eligible under the NBA’s age requirements.

Link
Slate
Veteran
And1: 0

Re: Jeremy Tyler forgoes senior yr for Europe 

Post#2 » by Slate » Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:35 am

Can somebody fill me in on how good this kid is?

In this article http://basketball.realgm.com/src_wireta ... overseas/#

it is stated that:
Tyler is considered by many to be the most talented big man to come along since Greg Oden and is projected as the top pick in the 2011 NBA draft.

and yet on rivals he is ranked as the number NINE overall best player.

That is quite a varying opinion of him, or was he just hyped up by the NY times for the article? There certainly wasn't much dissension on the Greg Oden hype.

Personally as a big fan of college basketball I have yet to see a kid's future destroyed by the age limit. The only thing it has done has helped NBA scouts avoid making big mistakes (like top 10 pick for Jordan) and temper the hype on some of the prospects coming out of high school. I understand the hypocrisy of the NCAA but at the same time I don't believe that money isn't a factor in the Tyler family's decision.
penzias
Senior
And1: 0

Re: Jeremy Tyler forgoes senior yr for Europe 

Post#3 » by penzias » Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:57 pm

Return to International Basketball