Go!
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
JT2006
Rookie
And1: 18

Re: Off Topic V 

Post#222 » by JT2006 » Sun Dec 2, 2012 9:03 pm

ohara wrote:Usually agree with the Commish. But I think he was an absolute ass for how he handled this Spurs matter. I hope the Spurs refuse to pay the fine and sue the NBA over it. Just last year they came out and said strategic resting of players was within the team's discretion. But now he gets his damn panties in a wad because it was against Miami? David, you are a jerk.

Because it was on national television and a big game in terms of seeing how both of these teams looked for the playoffs this early in the season. It was a possible finals matchup...
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,620

Post#223 » by fatlever » Sun Dec 2, 2012 11:37 pm

JT2006 wrote:
ohara wrote:Usually agree with the Commish. But I think he was an absolute ass for how he handled this Spurs matter. I hope the Spurs refuse to pay the fine and sue the NBA over it. Just last year they came out and said strategic resting of players was within the team's discretion. But now he gets his damn panties in a wad because it was against Miami? David, you are a jerk.

Because it was on national television and a big game in terms of seeing how both of these teams looked for the playoffs this early in the season. It was a possible finals matchup...

i dont think the league should have any say so in what lineups the coaches play or dont play or who is available for the games. i didnt see the league crying about all the teams that came into TWC arena last year and sat perfectly healthy starters against. where was the outrage when ray allen, paul pierce and kevin garnett didnt make the trip to charlotte last spring?

how many people think the reaction from stern would have been the same had the spurs been playing orlando instead of miami and the game wasnt on TNT?
JT2006
Rookie

Post#224 » by JT2006 » Mon Dec 3, 2012 7:58 am

fatlever wrote:
JT2006 wrote:

i dont think the league should have any say so in what lineups the coaches play or dont play or who is available for the games.

Only a blind man would think this was the commissioner trying to dictate the playbook and lineups of the coaches. This is bigger than that, and I'd expect you to know better than this.

fatlever wrote:i didnt see the league crying about all the teams that came into TWC arena last year and sat perfectly healthy starters against. where was the outrage when ray allen, paul pierce and kevin garnett didnt make the trip to charlotte last spring?

No one watched those games, no one cared. Were we even on national television the entire season? There is absolutely no comparison to be made here.
fatlever wrote:how many people think the reaction from stern would have been the same had the spurs been playing orlando instead of miami and the game wasnt on TNT?

None, if they have any sense. Don't you remember the DNP - OLD from Pop last year? No fines then. It's just that he sat his starting lineup (aside from one role player) for one of the most important (from a fan's perspective) games of the year.
SWedd523
RealGM
And1: 5,171

Post#225 » by SWedd523 » Mon Dec 3, 2012 2:28 pm

JT2006 wrote:
fatlever wrote:i dont think the league should have any say so in what lineups the coaches play or dont play or who is available for the games.

Only a blind man would think this was the commissioner trying to dictate the playbook and lineups of the coaches. This is bigger than that, and I'd expect you to know better than this.

Then what exactly was he doing? Pop decided to sit his main guys after playing in a killer stretch of games. It's not like Duncan, Manu, and Parker are spring chickens. Stern got mad because Pop's lineup wasn't what he (Stern) wanted it to be.

Last I checked, there is no league mandated rules governing players traveling with their team. This was nothing short of Stern asserting his power as Czar of the NBA.

fatlever wrote:i didnt see the league crying about all the teams that came into TWC arena last year and sat perfectly healthy starters against. where was the outrage when ray allen, paul pierce and kevin garnett didnt make the trip to charlotte last spring?

No one watched those games, no one cared. Were we even on national television the entire season? There is absolutely no comparison to be made here.

So because one game is nationally televised and the other isn't, they should be met with different responses? In what world does that make sense?

"What's good for the goose is good for the gander" and all of that. If you're going to have arbitrary, yet unofficial, rules regarding the practice of not playing your big time players, then they need to be enforced consistently across the board.

To me, the comparison makes total sense and shines a light into the hypocrisy of the League.

fatlever wrote:how many people think the reaction from stern would have been the same had the spurs been playing orlando instead of miami and the game wasnt on TNT?

None, if they have any sense. Don't you remember the DNP - OLD from Pop last year? No fines then. It's just that he sat his starting lineup (aside from one role player) for one of the most important (from a fan's perspective) games of the year.

You seem to have the right idea, so how are you missing the point?

Stern has no power to dictate Pop bringing (or not bringing) players to a game. That is solely in the controlling interest of the coach and GM.
JT2006
Rookie

Post#226 » by JT2006 » Mon Dec 3, 2012 5:02 pm

SWedd523 wrote:
JT2006 wrote:
fatlever wrote:i dont think the league should have any say so in what lineups the coaches play or dont play or who is available for the games.

Then what exactly was he doing? Pop decided to sit his main guys after playing in a killer stretch of games. It's not like Duncan, Manu, and Parker are spring chickens. Stern got mad because Pop's lineup wasn't what he (Stern) wanted it to be.

Repeating yourself doesn't make you correct.
SWedd523 wrote:Last I checked, there is no league mandated rules governing players traveling with their team. This was nothing short of Stern asserting his power as Czar of the NBA.

If we had a rule for everything, no one could read them all. Last I checked, there's no law against rubbing your genitals on the president's wife's face during a press conference. I could list more things that aren't explicitly illegal than you could list laws, if you give me enough time. So you can move on now.
SWedd523 wrote:

So because one game is nationally televised and the other isn't, they should be met with different responses? In what world does that make sense?

In this world, where money matters and people pay to see the games and watch the advertisements and the league depends on income.

Or you can be intentionally thick and pretend to not understand. Your call.
SWedd523 wrote:"What's good for the goose is good for the gander" and all of that. If you're going to have arbitrary, yet unofficial, rules regarding the practice of not playing your big time players, then they need to be enforced consistently across the board.

you'd have to give me a reason to believe this.
SWedd523 wrote:To me, the comparison makes total sense and shines a light into the hypocrisy of the League.

Simple minds think alike?
SWedd523 wrote:

You seem to have the right idea, so how are you missing the point?

Your point is bad, I didn't miss it. I'm just making the better point. There's a difference.
SWedd523 wrote:Stern has no power to dictate Pop bringing (or not bringing) players to a game. That is solely in the controlling interest of the coach and GM.

Apparently he does. If this is your argument, you've already failed.
JT2006
Rookie

Post#227 » by JT2006 » Mon Dec 3, 2012 5:05 pm

Let's put it this way: Chicago probably has less nationally televised games than they would have if Rose wasn't injured, because the national fanbase would rather see their superstars in jerseys than in suits (or not at all). If the league had been notified, they could have moved their TV schedule around (and as fans of the Bobcats, you should know this is possible).
KembaWalker
General Manager
And1: 10,688

Post#228 » by KembaWalker » Mon Dec 3, 2012 5:19 pm

I don't get who was so disserviced by this that there needed to be such a huge fine. Miami fans want to watch Miami I'd imagine, Spurs fans I'm sure are fine by whatever Pop feels like doing at this point, the general public got to see a great game. I just wish the Spurs hadn't choked the victory, woulda make Stern look even dumber than he already does from this situation.
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets

Post#229 » by fatlever » Mon Dec 3, 2012 5:41 pm

JT2006 wrote:
fatlever wrote:

None, if they have any sense.

sorry, i disagree. the rules should be applied evenly regardless of television situation or teams involved.
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets

Post#230 » by fatlever » Mon Dec 3, 2012 6:02 pm

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/gametracke ... 15_BOS@CHA

With the Celtics already having clinched a playoff spot, Rivers decided to leave Garnett and Pierce at the team hotel in the New York area after Saturday night's game against the New Jersey Nets to rest. The Celtics have a game Tuesday night at New York.

double standard. plain and simple. teams playing on TNT shouldnt have a different set of rules compared to those not playing on TNT.

stern apologized to all the fans in miami who paid money to see the spurs stars. what about the bobcats fans who paid money to see garnett and pierce?

nobody cares because its the bobcats and the game wasnt on national tv. same situation, two different sets of rules.

either the commish has an ax to grind vs the spurs as wojo indicated or he thinks teams on national TV should have a different set of rules. if its the later, then he should come out and admit as much and stop hiding behind the stuff about the poor fans in miami who didnt get to see duncan, manu and parker.
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets

Post#231 » by fatlever » Mon Dec 3, 2012 6:04 pm

but i have already stated that i prefer the commish just stay out of it 100%. if the celtics want to rest their stars against us, so be it. and if the spurs want to rest their stars on national tv, so be it.
SWedd523
RealGM

Post#232 » by SWedd523 » Mon Dec 3, 2012 11:25 pm

JT2006 wrote:If we had a rule for everything, no one could read them all. Last I checked, there's no law against rubbing your genitals on the president's wife's face during a press conference. I could list more things that aren't explicitly illegal than you could list laws, if you give me enough time. So you can move on now.

Actually there are a number of rules/laws against that. If you want to be an idiot and not realize it then by all means, attempt it the next time she gives a PC.

In this world, where money matters and people pay to see the games and watch the advertisements and the league depends on income.

Rules are rules. In this case, there are none. Therefore, there is nothing to enforce. Pop had no obligation to bring any of those guys to Miami. The sooner you realize that the better.

And haven't you learned your lesson by now crunk? What is this, your third sn?

So you can move on now.

Immaturity abounds :roll:
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,538

Post#233 » by HornetJail » Tue Dec 4, 2012 12:07 am

I think this is account number 5.
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
JT2006
Rookie

Post#234 » by JT2006 » Tue Dec 4, 2012 1:52 am

fatlever wrote:http://www.cbssports.com/nba/gametracker/recap/NBA_20120415_BOS@CHA

With the Celtics already having clinched a playoff spot, Rivers decided to leave Garnett and Pierce at the team hotel in the New York area after Saturday night's game against the New Jersey Nets to rest. The Celtics have a game Tuesday night at New York.

double standard. plain and simple.

Ignoring the rest because it doesn't matter.

It's not a double standard, this game mattered more. It was an important test of strength for both teams. Last year's nets sucked anyway, it was late in the season, and plenty of teams were resting guys because of the condensed schedule.

This is obvious.
JT2006
Rookie

Post#235 » by JT2006 » Tue Dec 4, 2012 1:54 am

SWedd523 wrote:
JT2006 wrote:If we had a rule for everything, no one could read them all. Last I checked, there's no law against rubbing your genitals on the president's wife's face during a press conference. I could list more things that aren't explicitly illegal than you could list laws, if you give me enough time. So you can move on now.

Actually there are a number of rules/laws against that. If you want to be an idiot and not realize it then by all means, attempt it the next time she gives a PC.

There's no law against that specific action, just various parts of the chain of events.
SWedd523 wrote:

Rules are rules. In this case, there are none. Therefore, there is nothing to enforce. Pop had no obligation to bring any of those guys to Miami. The sooner you realize that the better.

Lol, the better for who? You're being very dramatic. I've explained my position clearly and you haven't addressed it, just repeated yourself.

SWedd523 wrote:And haven't you learned your lesson by now crunk? What is this, your third sn?

So you can move on now.

Immaturity abounds :roll:

Yet you call me an idiot. Man, you're sooo cool and consistent, and never flame at all. :roll:
SWedd523
RealGM

Post#236 » by SWedd523 » Tue Dec 4, 2012 2:11 am

Okay crunk, you're right.

JT2006
Rookie

Post#237 » by JT2006 » Tue Dec 4, 2012 2:13 am

lol
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 17,832

Post#238 » by Diop » Tue Dec 4, 2012 2:56 am

you seriously think there are no laws against rubbing your genitals non consensually against someone's face in public?

try it next time you go out.
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,538

Post#239 » by HornetJail » Tue Dec 4, 2012 3:04 am

:rofl:
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
messed_up_todd
Junior
And1: 12