Moderators: JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben, BigSlam

James Gatz
Veteran
And1: 693

Re: 2013 NBA draft prospects chatter 

Post#1461 » by James Gatz » Sat Mar 2, 2013 10:28 pm

SWedd523 wrote:
JT2006 wrote:
JT2006 wrote:we do need a roll man. when is the last time we even had a decent one??

Diaw

he was okay, but it's not really his game

It's cause he's fat.
JT2006
Rookie
And1: 18

Post#1462 » by JT2006 » Sat Mar 2, 2013 10:38 pm

oh. shoulda said felton was a roll man then, because diaw actually ran some pick and pop/roll plays as a roll man lol
catch20two
RealGM
And1: 4,666

Post#1463 » by catch20two » Sat Mar 2, 2013 11:19 pm

Great game by McLemore today. He still didn't do anything to take away my skepticism for the Bobcats drafting him but he was on fire and couldn't miss.
They will wage war against the Lamb but the Lamb will triumph them because he is Lord of lords and King of kings - and with him will be his called, chosen and faithful followers." Revelation 17:14 (NIV)
Eoghan
RealGM
And1: 3,293

Post#1464 » by Eoghan » Sat Mar 2, 2013 11:33 pm

This was like the 5th or 6th time I've tried to watch an entire Oklahoma St. game and I've failed every time. They are a boring team and they play other boring teams. Smart strikes me as fool's gold. He's a good team player but he wouldn't give us anything we really need. Honestly, I'd even rather have Goodwin then him.

Impressed with McLemore today, he really asserted himself and carried Kansas. That Cherokee Withey vs Homeless man's Kanter match-up was, uh, really something.
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 8,358

Post#1465 » by BigSlam » Sat Mar 2, 2013 11:50 pm

McLemore still had the same red flags though.

I mean, apart from that one baseline drive and dunk he didn't really create anything himself - right? I mean, he couldn't miss but it was mainly catch and shoot or alley oop opportunities.

There was no post up/mid range game or creating off the dribble or anything and he is a little undersized and a little disinterested on D.

Is he a (much, much) more athletic version of Ben Gordon?

I'm just asking.....
B B M F 'ers
Big_C_KU
Junior
And1: 106

Post#1466 » by Big_C_KU » Sun Mar 3, 2013 12:20 am

Why McLemore is so highly regarded is his potential along with his high floor. The person who takes him is going to get a guard who at worst is a hell of a jump shooter and is going to get you points on limited shots. On the other hand he has the potential to be a complete scorer in the league if he works on his driving ability and and gains the mentality to take over and look to create his own shot. If he becomes better at putting the ball on the floor and creating his shot then he becomes extremely dangerous on the offensive end because if his jumpshot. Right now though until he does he won't be anything more than a Ray Allen type player. And I mean the Ray Allen we see now a days not Ray Allen in his prime.
Badd_Intentions
Rookie
And1: 4

Post#1467 » by Badd_Intentions » Sun Mar 3, 2013 1:08 am

Yea, my only concern with McLemore this whole time. Can he create something out of nothing? Can he score against good 1 on 1 defense? We all know he will shoot the lights out if left open, but looking at our team in the NBA game we don't have anyone that warrants a double team, so these wide open looks he's getting at Kansas may be few and far between here.

On the other hand though, I'm sure his presence alone would stretch the floor, giving more room for the other guys to operate, not that they'd do much with the space.

The only reason why I had Bazz a tid bit higher than him for our needs.
MasterIchiro
RealGM
And1: 5,340

Post#1468 » by MasterIchiro » Sun Mar 3, 2013 1:23 am

Even Kemba? He was a world-beater with Lamb drawing defenders. McLemore would make Kemba a better point and open up lanes for MKG.

Steph Curry's not great at creating his own shot but it doesn't matter. He's so quick and accurate he can score without isolation moves.

And I just don't see how if McLemore learns how to create his own shot he's Ray Allen in his prime and if not he's a 40 year old Ray Allen with nothing in between?

I think his floor is Steph Curry with more height for more rebounds and better D and more athleticism for more points in transition.

So his floor is above Steph Curry.
It has been written...
catch20two
RealGM

Post#1469 » by catch20two » Sun Mar 3, 2013 1:36 am

MasterIchiro wrote:Even Kemba? He was a world-beater with Lamb drawing defenders. McLemore would make Kemba a better point and open up lanes for MKG.

This is the NBA. Even Hendo who isn't much of a ball handler has to create his own shots a lot of the time despite having Kemba on his team.

Steph Curry's not great at creating his own shot but it doesn't matter. He's so quick and accurate he can score without isolation moves.

Huh? I don't even care to debate with this because it's inexplicably incorrect. However I do wonder how much of Steph Curry playing basketball you've ever seen.

And I just don't see how if McLemore learns how to create his own shot he's Ray Allen in his prime and if not he's a 40 year old Ray Allen with nothing in between?

I'm tired of every athletic 3-point shooting draft prospect being compared to Ray Allen. It's a lazy comparison. Allen had much more repertoire to his game than just sharpshooting in the earlier years of his career.

I think his floor is Steph Curry with more height for more rebounds and better D and more athleticism for more points in transition.

:pityfool:
They will wage war against the Lamb but the Lamb will triumph them because he is Lord of lords and King of kings - and with him will be his called, chosen and faithful followers." Revelation 17:14 (NIV)
Badd_Intentions
Rookie

Post#1470 » by Badd_Intentions » Sun Mar 3, 2013 1:37 am

In college, he was. In the NBA that is unseen. Like I said his presence alone would open things up a bit for the others, but then again our others aren't world beaters themselves.

Not sure i'd compare him to Steph b/c Steph is a PG and I think he does a pretty good job at creating for himself. He isn't a "blow by" player by any means, but has pretty good short area quickness and arguably one of the best shooters in the league off the dribble, so I don't see him having issues creating shots. Now he can't get to the rim like Westbrook, CP3, or TP, but he can still get good shots. Not to mention in college the talent level of his team was nowhere near what McClemore's is and he had to carry them on his back. McClemore can play off the ball and doesn't have to shoulder that type of burden on a nightly basis.

I think the Ray Allen comparison's come from what we're seeing him do now. Hit 3's and spread the floor. Kinda what Ray Allen has been doing in the NBA for the past few years. Now of course he is super athletic and makes some nice plays on the break and score off of lob plays when they are there, but mainly is a shooter.

Ray Allen has really set a high standard for ahtletic, sharp shooting 2's. Guess that's why his name always comes up when these guys are in question. He is kind of the ideal player of that kind and is still playing.
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#1471 » by BigSlam » Sun Mar 3, 2013 1:44 am

MasterIchiro wrote:Even Kemba? He was a world-beater with Lamb drawing defenders. McLemore would make Kemba a better point and open up lanes for MKG.

I agree. Kemba is a great 1 on 1 player and having a guy to kick to would be great. Of course, guys like Gordon and Turtle are meant to be lights out shooters too - right?

Steph Curry's not great at creating his own shot

Huh? He's great at it. He has handles and court vision and a bag of tricks and stuff.

You know that (apart from being fragile) Curry is pretty amazing............and a PG.

He might never sniff Curry's jock.
B B M F 'ers
Eoghan
RealGM
And1: 3,293

Post#1472 » by Eoghan » Sun Mar 3, 2013 1:45 am

I don't see McLemore being any worse than a shorter, more athletic Klay Thompson really.

There are few guys I think will bust on Charlotte in this draft that will be in their range.
Badd_Intentions
Rookie

Post#1473 » by Badd_Intentions » Sun Mar 3, 2013 1:52 am

Bennett is kinda growing on me a bit, thought I wouldn't take him in the top 4. We are just so terrible up front.
catch20two
RealGM

Post#1474 » by catch20two » Sun Mar 3, 2013 2:01 am

Badd_Intentions wrote:Bennett is kinda growing on me a bit, thought I wouldn't take him in the top 4. We are just so terrible up front.

I really like what Bennett could bring to our team as well but I'm a little bit concerned with his production the last two games with that bum shoulder. I hope he's healthy by the tournament because I really wanted to see how he performs under pressure in must-win games.
KembaWalker
General Manager
And1: 10,460

Post#1475 » by KembaWalker » Sun Mar 3, 2013 2:08 am

I dont care if mclemore sucks on defense im sick of drafting defensive players. Bobcats have never had a draft pick that could get them even 15ppg on good efficiency EVER. An easy way to improve your defense is to actually MAKE shots which our team never does so our d is never set correctly. Mclemore is hyperefficient scoring without hogging the ball sign me up!!

Hendo in college as a junior was 54% ts at this level hes about 50..mclemore 63%ts in college! Ray allen himself was o ly 59.5%. Get some efficient scoring on this team and be amazed how much better it makes everyone
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,613

Post#1476 » by fatlever » Sun Mar 3, 2013 2:11 am

catch20two wrote:
I'm tired of every athletic 3-point shooting draft prospect being compared to Ray Allen. It's a lazy comparison. Allen had much more repertoire to his game than just sharpshooting in the earlier years of his career.

thank you.
jman2585
Banned User
And1: 8

Post#1477 » by jman2585 » Sun Mar 3, 2013 2:17 am

In Ray Allen's draft day highlight reel from college I remember seeing him do some huge reverse jam and having flashes of Jordan. He was way more than a shooter.
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#1478 » by BigSlam » Sun Mar 3, 2013 2:22 am

Shutting her down and relaunching due to the 100 page RGM max.
B B M F 'ers

Return to Charlotte Hornets