2013 NBA draft prospects chatter

Moderators: yosemiteben, BigSlam, JDR720, Diop, fatlever

doc.end
General Manager
And1: 191

Re: 2013 NBA draft prospects chatter 

Post#601 » by doc.end » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:02 am

Welcome to the board.

Uhm, Pistons fans... First, look on their board. I have nothing against Pistons fans, the organization (I think they are poorly run though, as many are at one point) but I can't take (majority of) their board here seriously. For some reason and I don't remember if it was fueled by some Pistons-Bobcats match in all-time tanking season as well but surely it started after the Maggette-Gordon-and-one-pick trade. We were really bad in the shortened season and kind of fair game to mock on general board - as Bobcats itself or as their fans (and rarely praised for sticking with the team regardless and actually watching games). After the trade (I think it was then) Pistons fans took it to another level, trying to shush their insecurity by starting a thread on general board asking whose future is brighter Pistons' or Bobcats' (poll included) - quite uncalled for as nobody else of bad but not that bad teams had a need for that and one would say nobody would want to be associated with Bobcats this is-it-.even-a-question way and things went as expected, Bobcats being bashed left and right and poll ending 75:25, being commented to be spot on as those were the chances to land Anthony Davis or not, lol.
Princeofpalace poster started that thread if i am not mistaken. Since then some of their poster took every chance to mock Bobcats on general board in unrealted threads as well, till rules got sticter there. I mean, they may not did that on purpose they may really thought so, those are the same people who compared Stuckey with Harden and Knight with Irving and what not on their board. Some of us may took the bait and retaliated, I for once didn't believed they had brighter future than us as we were in early stages of "In Cho I believe" movement and they were team after a munity against their coach, Dumars making dumb trades and other decision, not a decsription of succesful programme and healthy envirronment (they were yet to draft Drummond by sheer dumb luck). Another thing to fuel this misundersting was the Kemba the Chucker initiative ensuring them they pick the right guy in Knight, although advanced stats were inconcclusive to say the least and some arguing over that happened but someone else would have to tell you about that as I haven't been a Kemba homer since day one and don't know whole story. So, basically they picked us as rivals and we laugh our way in it for reason has little use with them .-)

As for McDerrmont, I have no idea.
catch20two
RealGM
And1: 4,666

Post#602 » by catch20two » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:06 am

SWedd523 wrote:McDermott reminds me of Kyle Wiltjer with the green light to chuck away

McDermott reminds me of Luke Babbitt :dontknow:
They will wage war against the Lamb but the Lamb will triumph them because he is Lord of lords and King of kings - and with him will be his called, chosen and faithful followers." Revelation 17:14 (NIV)
Eoghan
RealGM
And1: 3,293

Post#603 » by Eoghan » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:13 am

SWedd523 wrote:I'm still waiting to see a ISO game on the college level before I give him the benefit of the doubt for being a capable ISO threat in the NBA. I get the argument that he's working himself into the offense, and I'm not saying he doesn't have the ability, but I would still need a little bit of evidence to make such a leap of logical faith. At the very least, I'd like to see him initiate as a pseudo-PG at times and/or bring the ball up the court like I've seen McLemore do

McDermott reminds me of Kyle Wiltjer with the green light to chuck away

I'd like to see him handle the ball more as well. I don't think a straight Muhammad vs McLemore as a SG comparison works too well though, I see McLemore as more of a combo guard or a pure 2 whereas Muhammad seems like a 2/3 so I'm not sure you'll ever see him go pseudo-PG and/or bring the ball up the court, at least not on UCLA where Drew, Anderson, and even Adams take priority ball-handling duties.

What Muhammad has that I don't think any other prospect outside of maybe Bennett has is a repertoire of offensive moves/shots a la Melo or Michael Redd. I think that and his decent size would make a nice yin and yang combo with MKG.
catch20two
RealGM

Post#604 » by catch20two » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:19 am

I'm watching Shabazz on ESPNU. Despite what skeptics may say he has a nice jump shot.
They will wage war against the Lamb but the Lamb will triumph them because he is Lord of lords and King of kings - and with him will be his called, chosen and faithful followers." Revelation 17:14 (NIV)
JMAC3
General Manager
And1: 4,055

Post#605 » by JMAC3 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:41 am

McAdoo could be a steal if he is still there and we have rights to Portland pick. I think he could be a really nice addition to our team. He isn't going to dominate the defensive end or on the boards, but he has a really nice turnaround jump shot from the post and will be a guy who can score down there in the pros. Also think he has the tools to end up being a dynamic pick and pop/roll big because of his touch, athleticism and jump shot.

Biggest issue with him is he may see himself as more of a small forward, but he doesn't have the handle or range for that. At 6-9 and a 7-1 wingspan he would be fine to play at PF and he has athleticism to match up with teams that play small lineups at the 4 think Thad Young, Carmelo, Durant, and LeBron. I think him and Andrew Nicholson are very comparable.
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
James Gatz
Veteran
And1: 693

Post#606 » by James Gatz » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:22 pm

Andrew Nicholson are very comparable.

UNC student here and I don't see it. Nicholson had an array of post moves and rebounded the ball better. James Michael is more athletic but I just don't see him doing a ton in the pros. At the same time I wouldn't be incredibly upset if we picked him with our PDX pick especially if we go BPA with a small with our first pick.
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 8,358

Post#607 » by BigSlam » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:52 pm

catch20two wrote:I'm watching Shabazz on ESPNU. Despite what skeptics may say he has a nice jump shot.

I watched some of Shabazz last night and I came away impressed as well.

He's not just a spot up shooter or shooter off a curl or slasher. He is a flat out scorer - which I like.

I think he and MKG would work VERY well together.

Bazz is at the top of my wish list right now.
B B M F 'ers
catch20two
RealGM

Post#608 » by catch20two » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:22 pm

JMAC3 wrote:McAdoo could be a steal if he is still there and we have rights to Portland pick.

I don't want no parts of James Michael McAdoo on our team, especially not if we have to draft him within the 1st round. He's a poor man's Brandan Wright.
SWedd523
RealGM
And1: 5,109

Post#609 » by SWedd523 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:25 pm

Really isn't anything remotely similar to Brandan Wright now or when he was at UNC.

He isn't like Nicholson either, for that matter
catch20two
RealGM

Post#610 » by catch20two » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:25 pm

BigSlam wrote:
catch20two wrote:I'm watching Shabazz on ESPNU. Despite what skeptics may say he has a nice jump shot.

He's not just a spot up shooter or shooter off a curl or slasher. He is a flat out scorer - which I like.

I like the fact that he's probably the least selfish scorer on his team and yet still he's consistently productive at it.
James Gatz
Veteran
And1: 693

Post#611 » by James Gatz » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:27 pm

BigSlam wrote:

I watched two of his edited down scout tapes of the MO and Texas games. He isn't a great finisher and only possession good but not great athleticism. That being said he plays hard and is constantly going for offensive rebounds. I like him.

My only worry is that this squad badly needs a big. Not sure if we can draw someone in like that in FA.
catch20two
RealGM

Post#612 » by catch20two » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:29 pm

SWedd523 wrote:Really isn't anything remotely similar to Brandan Wright now or when he was at UNC.

He isn't like Nicholson either, for that matter

Maybe I reached with the Wright comparison because of UNC but I imagine McAdoo would have a similar career in the pros as a disappointment.
JMAC3
General Manager

Post#613 » by JMAC3 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:47 pm

Actually McAddo seems like he could be a more athletic Patrick Patterson.
Big Board
catch20two
RealGM

Post#614 » by catch20two » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:51 pm

JMAC3 wrote:Actually McAddo seems like he could be a more athletic Patrick Patterson.

Patrick Patterson was efficient in college, never scoring or shooting less than 14 points and 57% since his freshman year at Kentucky. McAdoo hasn't even peaked 45% shooting.
Eoghan
RealGM
And1: 3,293

Post#615 » by Eoghan » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:23 pm

McAdoo is nothing like Nicholson for one thing. Nicholson has slightly better size, post moves, and three point range. McAdoo is the epitome of a tweener. He's looking like a Shane Battier, Antawn Jamison kind of player, 4 in college but has to play a perimeter game in the pros b/c he's just not quite big enough. The problem is McAdoo doesn't look like he has much range on his shot, particularly sound handles, or even an array of post moves.

I want to like McAdoo, I really do, but he needs to expand his game to find a niche at the next level.
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 8,358

Post#616 » by BigSlam » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:25 pm

James Gatz wrote:My only worry is that this squad badly needs a big. Not sure if we can draw someone in like that in FA.

There are no realy quality bigs in this draft though.
B B M F 'ers
catch20two
RealGM

Post#617 » by catch20two » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:30 pm

BigSlam wrote:
James Gatz wrote:My only worry is that this squad badly needs a big. Not sure if we can draw someone in like that in FA.

There are no realy quality bigs in this draft though.

I think both Nerlens Noel and Anthony Bennett will be considered at least quality in the NBA. That's just my opinion though.
JMAC3
General Manager

Post#618 » by JMAC3 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:42 pm

BrotherDave wrote:McAdoo is nothing like Nicholson for one thing. Nicholson has slightly better size, post moves, and three point range. McAdoo is the epitome of a tweener. He's looking like a Shane Battier, Antawn Jamison kind of player, 4 in college but has to play a perimeter game in the pros b/c he's just not quite big enough. The problem is McAdoo doesn't look like he has much range on his shot, particularly sound handles, or even an array of post moves.

I want to like McAdoo, I really do, but he needs to expand his game to find a niche at the next level.

First off I would like to say that I am not a Carolina basketball fan, go hoosiers, but I have liked what I have seen from McAdoo the few times I have seen him play. At 6-9 and a 7-1 wingspan he has plenty of size to play the 4 in the NBA. He doesnt dominate the boards, averaging a solid 8.1, nor is he a shot blocker, but what he does possess is a few really nice skills.

He seems to have a nice touch around the basket when being challenged by defenders. Also, his go to move is a half turn around jumpshot right when he catches the ball in the post that is unguardable and he seems to hit that shot at a good clip. He also crashes the boards offensively and has the athleticism to have some nice putback dunks.

I havent really found a spot on player comparison for him yet. He far more athletic then Battier, Nicholson, Jamison, and Patterson. He is a skilled big man with some perimeter skills such as passing and decent dribbles for a post man. Derrick Williams is a close comparison, but Williams has more range on his jumper and is a bit more flashy.

I just do not see a ton of great prospects in that 12-18 range and feel McAdoo has the potential to be a very good player. Right now I like him and Willie Cauley-Stein in that range, but neither is guaranteed to be there if we have the pick.
Big Board
JMAC3
General Manager

Post#619 » by JMAC3 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:08 pm

The problem with this whole rebuild is we started tanking too early. We should of waited another year or two to start the rebuild. I would of been fine delaying it a year meaning we never drafted as high to get Kemba and we didnt have the pick to get Biz.

I wish this year was the first year we were drafting super high and get either McLemore, Shabazz, or Noel. Then next year we would be sucky again and get Wiggins. Which would of meant only two years of having top 3 picks.

The problem is now we have to be downright terrible for three straight years to have a chance for Wiggins. That is way too long of a tank and that is why we are taking so much heat for being a bad team.

if we would of stayed competitive for another year and just got picks in that late lottery or just outside the lottery in those drafts and then got these star players we would be in a better postion.

Hindsight is 20/20.
Big Board
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,495

Post#620 » by HornetJail » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:48 pm

I thought the whole blow it up process happened too early. Gerald Wallace was at the top of his game, Felton was balling that year, and I just knew if we traded Chandler he'd have a really good season the very next one. What happened? He was easily the 2nd best player on a championship team and then the following year, won MVP. Jax was kicking butt too. We were among the best defensive teams in the league WITHOUT a healthy Chandler. That team had more potential than I'd like to think about. The Chandler trade was the single stupidest transaction this franchise has ever made (that's saying a lot). It was a money-saving deal that didn't save money and we got garbage in return for a DPOY candidate. We blew up the team and didn't even get great value.

Look at this:
Chandler - traded for Najera, Carroll, and Dampier, no picks, no young talent, nothing.
Diaw - bought out, left without any compensation (turned down a deadline deal that could have gotten us a pick)
Wallace - traded for fringe NBA talent and two mediocre picks (Portland got a #6 pick in a loaded draft for him 12 months later)
Jackson - essentially traded with #19 for #7 (Biz), the one solid rebuilding move we made to get picks etc.
Felton - we let him leave for nothing in free agency even though he signed a reasonable deal we could have matched
Augustin - couldn't even get a pick out of this guy, even though I'm sure there were plenty of trade offers.

That's no way to gain assets. If you really want to blow it up and rebuild, at least get picks and young talent instead of letting guys leave without compensation. A 5th grader can figure that out.

Honestly, after the Tyson Chandler trade, I was almost distancing myself from this franchise, that's how bad it was.
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR

Return to Charlotte Hornets