ImageImage

2013 NBA draft prospects chatter

Moderators: JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben, BigSlam

JMAC3
General Manager
And1: 4,147

Re: 2013 NBA draft prospects chatter 

Post#701 » by JMAC3 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:16 am

Watched most the Kentucky game and a good bit of the Kansas game tonight.

Noel gets off the floor ridiculously quick, me and the announcer both agree quicker then Davis. He seems to have a good feel for the game of basketball to me on both sides of the floor. On defense he has amazing hands for a big man, whether it be for blocking shots or stripping big men in the post. Offensively he reads the ball off the rim really well which allows him to get a good bit of putback dunks when coupled with his athleticism. Also, he looks comfortable with ball on perimeter and tends to have a good feel for when to try and post his man up, clear out, or go set a ball screen.

The more I watch him the more he reminds me of Joakim Noah.

McLemore didnt have a huge statistical game, but the kid can play the game. If he gets his feet set your in trouble. His defense is what really caught my eye though. He had a couple blocks that were eye opening and played good on ball defense. The thing that is most impressive in the games I have watched though is he comes to play when the game is on the line. He hits big time shots and can do it in different ways.

I really do get reminded of a young Ray Allen when I watch him play.
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
JMAC3
General Manager

Post#702 » by JMAC3 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:22 am

I still havent seen enough Shabazz to make my opinion on him, but I am not in love with him.

The more I look into Bennett the more I am turned off of him. Some of the things I have read and seen reminds me a bit too much of a guy named Byron Mullens. His shot selection seems really iffy, He loses his man on defense far too often, does not hustle back on defense, not a good post defender, lacks a good back to the basket game and is not really a shot blocker. Thats without even mentioning some major red flags, such as undersized for the 4, Sees himself as a 2 or 3 in the NBA, and we can't afford to draft a guy that will need to play the 3 longterm.

I think McLemore is becoming the concensus number one pick more with each game he plays.
Big Board
catch20two
RealGM
And1: 4,666

Post#703 » by catch20two » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:35 am

I say trade or look into free agency for a wing scorer and draft one of Nerlens Noel or Anthony Bennett. These might be the best bigs to enter the draft in the next couple of years and we need frontcourt help like nobody's business. However I still believe that Shabazz Muhammad is the best player in this upcoming draft. If we draft Noel we'll have a defensive anchor in the paint for years to come but he'll make Biyombo expendable or a career backup. If we draft Bennett as a stretch 4 that can also score in the post he would complement Biyombo very well. It's going to be tough to choose between the two prospects because we need offense (Bennett) and defense (Noel) in the worst way.
They will wage war against the Lamb but the Lamb will triumph them because he is Lord of lords and King of kings - and with him will be his called, chosen and faithful followers." Revelation 17:14 (NIV)
James Gatz
Veteran
And1: 693

Post#704 » by James Gatz » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:59 am

I agree with you JMAC. I like Noel more everytime I see him. Even if he isn't a good foil to Biz I'd be happy getting him if he was BPA.
Elden Payton
RealGM
And1: 2,591

Post#705 » by Elden Payton » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:40 am

catch20two wrote:I say trade or look into free agency for a wing scorer and draft one of Nerlens Noel or Anthony Bennett. These might be the best bigs to enter the draft in the next couple of years and we need frontcourt help like nobody's business. However I still believe that Shabazz Muhammad is the best player in this upcoming draft. If we draft Noel we'll have a defensive anchor in the paint for years to come but he'll make Biyombo expendable or a career backup. If we draft Bennett as a stretch 4 that can also score in the post he would complement Biyombo very well. It's going to be tough to choose between the two prospects because we need offense (Bennett) and defense (Noel) in the worst way.

The only issue with Bennett is that at 6'7 is he going to be able to play with Biyombo as our starting frontcourt?
BeesWax
General Manager
And1: 1,660

Post#706 » by BeesWax » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:23 pm

Of all these guys I would prefer Noel. I watched the Kansas game against Texas and McLemore got torched repeatedly on defense. His lateral quickness looked suspect. I had heard he had a sprained ankle or something so maybe that was it but he looked bad. On offense he looked solid and you are right if he gets his feet set he is money. Still though I think you go with Noel if given the choice.
Spoiler:
Kembastockton
Hornets Forum Mock Draft Co-Champ
And1: 56

Post#707 » by Kembastockton » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:58 pm

When it is all said and done Nerlens and Zeller most likely go one and two, and always I am skeptical of our prospects of getting the number one pick. If we do draft Nerlens sadly I imagine Biz is traded the same night along with the Portland pick in a package for a scorer.
catch20two
RealGM

Post#708 » by catch20two » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:05 pm

Sik Infant wrote:
catch20two wrote:I say trade or look into free agency for a wing scorer and draft one of Nerlens Noel or Anthony Bennett. These might be the best bigs to enter the draft in the next couple of years and we need frontcourt help like nobody's business. However I still believe that Shabazz Muhammad is the best player in this upcoming draft. If we draft Noel we'll have a defensive anchor in the paint for years to come but he'll make Biyombo expendable or a career backup. If we draft Bennett as a stretch 4 that can also score in the post he would complement Biyombo very well. It's going to be tough to choose between the two prospects because we need offense (Bennett) and defense (Noel) in the worst way.

The only issue with Bennett is that at 6'7 is he going to be able to play with Biyombo as our starting frontcourt?

Bennett will be All-Star

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oekBTHJOL4[/youtube]
They will wage war against the Lamb but the Lamb will triumph them because he is Lord of lords and King of kings - and with him will be his called, chosen and faithful followers." Revelation 17:14 (NIV)
James Gatz
Veteran

Post#709 » by James Gatz » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:15 pm

I haven't seen him play enough but I'm skeptical of Bennett. Tweeners with his skill set rarely end up having the successful careers people project. Look at Derrick Williams for example.
catch20two
RealGM

Post#710 » by catch20two » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:29 pm

James Gatz wrote:I haven't seen him play enough but I'm skeptical of Bennett. Tweeners with his skill set rarely end up having the successful careers people project. Look at Derrick Williams for example.

I wouldn't compare Anthony Bennett to Derrick Williams as a tweener. He's much like Kevin Love with more athleticism.
catch20two
RealGM

Post#711 » by catch20two » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:31 pm

I don't want no more safe picks. We need to swing for the fences with this upcoming top 5 draft pick and try to get superstar potential. Anthony Bennett and Shabazz Muhammad both fit that mold.
Kembastockton
Hornets Forum Mock Draft Co-Champ
And1: 56

Post#712 » by Kembastockton » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:32 pm

James Gatz wrote:I haven't seen him play enough but I'm skeptical of Bennett. Tweeners with his skill set rarely end up having the successful careers people project. Look at Derrick Williams for example.

Speaking of D.Will, I was watching sportscenter the other night. The annoucers were talking about how DWill had a great game hitting from all over the floor. I was like okay interest is peaked. The box score had him at the end of the game with 14 points and 5 boards. I was like that is the great game he had? 14 pts and 5 boards? Okay, but not for a former number 2 pick. He should average at least that.

Back to Bennett. I love his skill set, however I heard two things about him that have cooled my interest. I heard that he is lazy on defense, and has a questionable work ethic. The two main issues an undersized nba prospect can not afford.
countryboi
Head Coach
And1: 1,303

Post#713 » by countryboi » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:49 pm

I really dont think he is a tweener he is really a undersized PF with a jump shot
The Cut Podcast, An Hilarious barbershop style discussion podcast. Watch us on Youtube and listen to us on all major Podcast Platforms. https://linktr.ee/thecut_podcast
catch20two
RealGM

Post#714 » by catch20two » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:52 pm

countryboi wrote:

I really dont think he is a tweener he is really a undersized PF with a jump shot

...and his length and athleticism more than make up for his lack of 2 inches because I can't remember the last time a NBA player consistently made or blocked shots with his head.
James Gatz
Veteran

Post#715 » by James Gatz » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:46 pm

catch20two wrote:
countryboi wrote:

...and his length and athleticism more than make up for his lack of 2 inches because I can't remember the last time a NBA player consistently made or blocked shots with his head.

Well the head comment doesn't make sense. Because his opponents will still have their shoulders higher off the ground than him. In response to the tweener thing, didn't he say he saw himself as a 2 or 3 in the NBA?
catch20two
RealGM

Post#716 » by catch20two » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:53 pm

James Gatz wrote:
catch20two wrote:...and his length and athleticism more than make up for his lack of 2 inches because I can't remember the last time a NBA player consistently made or blocked shots with his head.

Well the head comment doesn't make sense. Because his opponents will still have their shoulders higher off the ground than him. In response to the tweener thing, didn't he say he saw himself as a 2 or 3 in the NBA?

The head comment does make sense because he has a 7'1" wingspan and plenty of hops to boot. Ironically now you are reaching for reasons not to like Bennett. He never mentioned anything remotely close to seeing himself as being a 2 or 3 in the NBA. He was undecided on being a 4 or 5 and came to the conclusion to settle in as a PF.

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/22 ... er_Forward
SWedd523
RealGM
And1: 5,165

Post#717 » by SWedd523 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:25 pm

catch20two wrote:Ironically now you are reaching for reasons not to like Bennett.

Ironically that sounds like something you're doing in regards to McLemore
catch20two
RealGM

Post#718 » by catch20two » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:35 pm

SWedd523 wrote:
catch20two wrote:Ironically now you are reaching for reasons not to like Bennett.

Ironically that sounds like something you're doing in regards to McLemore

Touche' 8-)

I'm just not sold on McLemore being a star in the NBA. That's all. I have no problem with being proven wrong though if he becomes a part of our team but don't say I didn't tell you all so when he doesn't pan out to be anything but another Hendo. They're very similar in my opinion now that Hendo is hitting the 3 when you compare their athleticism, defensive intensity, lack of aggression, and inconsistent offense.
JMAC3
General Manager

Post#719 » by JMAC3 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:03 pm

@ Catch20two

Have you yourself watched that scouting video? In the interview with him at the very beginning he says he sees himself as a future allstar in 5 years and wants to develop his game into a 2, then he restates a 2 or a 3. That does not really sound like he wants to bang with bigs at the 4.

The link you posted is what position he is playing at UNLV not what he is going to play in the NBA.

He is only 6'7'' and that is with shoes on. His wingspan is nice at 7'1''.

Michael Kidd-Gilchrist
Draymond Green

who both measured 6'7.5'' in shoes with 7 foot wingspans. I dont think that makes them good candidates for the power forward postion.

I really don't want to draft a more athletic Draymond Green with a top 3 pick.

Also, the weaknesses in that video all seem to point that he is not suited to play the 4 in the NBA. Bad shot selection and a poor defender sounds a bit too much like Mullens to me. I agree that Bennett is the better player, but brings the same problems.
Big Board
catch20two
RealGM

Post#720 » by catch20two » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:15 pm

JMAC3 wrote:@ Catch20two

Have you yourself watched that scouting video? In the interview with him at the very beginning he says he sees himself as a future allstar in 5 years and wants to develop his game into a 2, then he restates a 2 or a 3. That does not really sound like he wants to bang with bigs at the 4.

The link you posted is what position he is playing at UNLV not what he is going to play in the NBA.

He is only 6'7'' and that is with shoes on. His wingspan is nice at 7'1''.

Michael Kidd-Gilchrist
Draymond Green

who both measured 6'7.5'' in shoes with 7 foot wingspans. I dont think that makes them good candidates for the power forward postion.

I really don't want to draft a more athletic Draymond Green with a top 3 pick.

Also, the weaknesses in that video all seem to point that he is not suited to play the 4 in the NBA. Bad shot selection and a poor defender sounds a bit too much like Mullens to me. I agree that Bennett is the better player, but brings the same problems.

:lol: I always watched it with the volume down to avoid hearing the cheesy music. Anthony Bennett crazy for saying that although after doing my research I came to find out that he did play SG in high school before his senior season. Anthony Davis played PG in high school. People grow and things change. Bennett will be a All-Star in the NBA and I'm almost certain of that.

Return to Charlotte Hornets