ImageImage

Juke Skywalker - The Kemba Walker Thread II

Moderators: JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben, BigSlam

Elden Payton
RealGM
And1: 2,591

Re: The Kemba Walker Thread 2.0 

Post#1201 » by Elden Payton » Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:09 am

BizGilwalker wrote:Kemba and Biz are both eligible for extensions this summer. I think we HAVE to do everything in our power to get Kemba to sign an extension before the season starts, even if it seems like a bit of an overpay right now, because the market is ridiculous, and Kemba being a rising star PG is probably going to receive a Lowry deal if not more, if he even shows a slight improvement. We also run the risk of him breaking out completely and having to match max deals.

I would hope Biz signs a cheap, but very long extension- like a 5/20 or 5/25 extension, so he'll be a defensive stud center at $4-5M a year well into the new CBA. Thinking four to five years in the future, deals signed in this CBA are going to likely be bargain contracts in the next CBA a couple years from now. I'd like to see all of our "keepers" on this team locked up to long contracts and the players not necessarily in our future to expire at the same time as the huge spike in the salary cap happens. There's a good reason why we signed Williams, Roberts, and Henderson to expire at exactly the same time.

Gotta love those TV deal numbers that have been floating about.
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,536

Post#1202 » by HornetJail » Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:09 am

If we surprised Kemba one day and offered him a 5/50 extension out of nowhere, you guys think he'd accept?
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
HornetJail
RealGM

Post#1203 » by HornetJail » Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:12 am

Sik Infant wrote:Gotta love those TV deal numbers that have been floating about.

Apparently there's a legit chance of the cap rising to 80M in two years- it's why Lebron opted for a two-year deal. Assuming the cap is at 80M and the max is still 35% of the cap, Lebron can sign for a starting salary of $28M and it goes from there :o
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 43,081

Post#1204 » by JDR720 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:15 am

BizGilwalker wrote:If we surprised Kemba one day and offered him a 5/50 extension out of nowhere, you guys think he'd accept?

Probably, that is right about what he should get paid
catch20two
RealGM
And1: 4,666

Post#1205 » by catch20two » Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:15 am

BizGilwalker wrote:If we surprised Kemba one day and offered him a 5/50 extension out of nowhere, you guys think he'd accept?

He's humble enough to accept it but his agent might tell him to wait for Lowry money. He ran thru Wall and Irving last year and they got max deals.
They will wage war against the Lamb but the Lamb will triumph them because he is Lord of lords and King of kings - and with him will be his called, chosen and faithful followers." Revelation 17:14 (NIV)
Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,050

Post#1206 » by Liver_Pooty » Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:17 am

Yeah unless hes stupid.
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 43,081

Post#1207 » by JDR720 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:18 am

catch20two wrote:

He's humble enough to accept it but his agent might tell him to wait for Lowry money. He ran thru Wall and Irving last year and they got max deals.

Wall and Irving are also former #1 picks and arguably superstars
catch20two
RealGM

Post#1208 » by catch20two » Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:20 am

JDR720 wrote:
catch20two wrote:

Those are some bad arguments. Lol.
They will wage war against the Lamb but the Lamb will triumph them because he is Lord of lords and King of kings - and with him will be his called, chosen and faithful followers." Revelation 17:14 (NIV)
Liver_Pooty
RealGM

Post#1209 » by Liver_Pooty » Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:21 am

catch20two wrote:
JDR720 wrote:
catch20two wrote:He's humble enough to accept it but his agent might tell him to wait for Lowry money. He ran thru Wall and Irving last year and they got max deals.

Wall and Irving are better players than Walker. Thats pretty indisputable.
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
Elden Payton
RealGM

Post#1210 » by Elden Payton » Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:23 am

BizGilwalker wrote:
Sik Infant wrote:Gotta love those TV deal numbers that have been floating about.

Apparently there's a legit chance of the cap rising to 80M in two years- it's why Lebron opted for a two-year deal. Assuming the cap is at 80M and the max is still 35% of the cap, Lebron can sign for a starting salary of $28M and it goes from there :o

I think it's right about his value, I reckon he'd take it.
catch20two
RealGM

Post#1211 » by catch20two » Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:23 am

Liver_Pooty wrote:
catch20two wrote:
JDR720 wrote:Wall and Irving are also former #1 picks and arguably superstars

You didn't read a damn thing I wrote. Lol. I didn't say that Kemba was better or deserved a max deal. I said that he ran thru them in the regular season and that should entitle him to get about 4M a year less.
Liver_Pooty
RealGM

Post#1212 » by Liver_Pooty » Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:24 am

catch20two wrote:
Liver_Pooty wrote:
catch20two wrote:Those are some bad arguments. Lol.

You didn't read a damn thing I wrote. Lol. I didn't say that Kemba was better or deserved a max deal. I said that he ran thru them in the regular season and that should entitle him to get about 4M a year less.

Lol. I must admit I didn't read anything you previously wrote. My apologies.
Elden Payton
RealGM

Post#1213 » by Elden Payton » Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:25 am

catch20two wrote:

Liver_Pooty
RealGM

Post#1214 » by Liver_Pooty » Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:26 am

Sik Infant wrote:
catch20two wrote:

Lol. That gif always makes me giggle for some reason.
HornetJail
RealGM

Post#1215 » by HornetJail » Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:26 am

catch20two wrote:

that's what I'm worried about and given some of the players that have been given the max so far this summer, if Kemba takes a step forward, he'll have his eye on the max, and with a thin point guard market next summer, what does a team desperate for a PG offer him?

Kemba, Dragic, Lin, Rubio, Rondo, Parker, and Reggie Jackson are the only notable PGs set to be free agents. Parker will likely be a Spur for life, Rondo only works in a handful of systems, so Dragic is the only big name PG that will be signing a large deal for anyone with the cap space. Kemba will be a lot of teams' backup plan. Even if he is pretty much the same player he was last season, he'll still get 4/40 easily, probably more.
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
Elden Payton
RealGM

Post#1216 » by Elden Payton » Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:28 am

Liver_Pooty wrote:
Sik Infant wrote:
catch20two wrote:He's humble enough to accept it but his agent might tell him to wait for Lowry money. He ran thru Wall and Irving last year and they got max deals.

Lol. That gif always makes me giggle for some reason.

Marky Mark breaking out the :o
Liver_Pooty
RealGM

Post#1217 » by Liver_Pooty » Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:28 am

BizGilwalker wrote:
catch20two wrote:

that's what I'm worried about and given some of the players that have been given the max so far this summer, if Kemba takes a step forward, he'll have his eye on the max, and with a thin point guard market next summer, what does a team desperate for a PG offer him?

Kemba, Dragic, Lin, Rubio, Rondo, Parker, and Reggie Jackson are the only notable PGs set to be free agents. Parker will likely be a Spur for life, Rondo only works in a handful of systems, so Dragic is the only big name PG that will be signing a large deal for anyone with the cap space. Kemba will be a lot of teams' backup plan. Even if he is pretty much the same player he was last season, he'll still get 4/40 easily, probably more.

Unless Walker really, really improves a ton he absolutely better not get the max, and if he does we have to wave goodbye. Im not even sure if we will be able to even match a max offer. Pretty sure we won't have to worry about it though unless he just blows up, which he might, but it would have to be an amazing season to get the max at a position so deep.
Hornet Mania
General Manager
And1: 7,397

Post#1218 » by Hornet Mania » Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:21 am

PG is way too deep to offer to offer the max to a guy like Kemba. I'm as big a fan of him as anyone, love his intensity and his leadership qualities, love how how he plays fearlessly, love how you can tell he savors the big moments, but no way is he worth the max unless he drastically improves.

I hope we try to get out in front of this and offer that 5/50 extension mentioned above. I think he would take it, or at least settle for 5/55. He might have a chance to make more in June but he also might shoot sub-40% again while the Hornets miss the playoffs and he'll have that loser stink on him. If he's staring $50 million in the face he probably bites.
Robot Rock
Starter
And1: 939

Post#1219 » by Robot Rock » Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:08 pm

If Kemba signs somewhere else, even if we keep Al we're looking at another 20-win season.

If we lose Al and Kemba to free agency, it's 12-70 City.
Hornet Mania
General Manager
And1: 7,397

Post#1220 » by Hornet Mania » Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:28 pm

Robot Rock wrote:If Kemba signs somewhere else, even if we keep Al we're looking at another 20-win season.

If we lose Al and Kemba to free agency, it's 12-70 City.

That's true as of right now, but I would hope if we lose Kemba we would at least use our RFA leverage to get good value in a sign and trade. Plus sign another PG to start instead of turning the position over to Roberts. We should definitely throw the 5/50 deal at him asap though. We need to learn from Utah in this situation. If we're offering 50 and he wants 55, bite the damn bullet. Better than letting him hit the market and waiting for the Knicks to throw the max his way.

Return to Charlotte Hornets