ImageImage

The 2013 free agency thread.

Moderators: yosemiteben, BigSlam, JDR720, Diop, fatlever

Elden Payton
RealGM
And1: 2,591

The 2013 free agency thread. 

Post#1 » by Elden Payton » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:55 am

Ok so we've got a draft thread and a trade thread, but, no free agency thread??

Google is my friend.

Here are Hoopsworld's 2013 free agency rankings and details

http://www.hoopsworld.com/2013-nba-free-agents/

ESPN 2012-2013 free agency list team-by-team

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/page/Fre ... -2012-2013

Dime Magazine top 30 2013 free agents

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/page/Fre ... -2012-2013
^(Hendo at #28, backhanded compliment?)

SB nation top 50 free agents (click and read the title lol)

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2012/8/31/3 ... 13-ranking

Let us peruse...this is important... I hope Cho got these on his super computer.
Elden Payton
RealGM

Re: The free agency thread. 

Post#2 » by Elden Payton » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:02 am

Ok so the main debate currently and was the moment we drafted MKG is do we draft a (s)wing(man) in 2013 and sign a legit post option (big $) in free agency or draft another big and sign a free agent wing (for yet still big $)

Can we sign a all-star/marquee* free agent? * being just under superstar/all-star ie Al Jeff.

Where does everyone stand on this?

I've always believed draft a swingman 2/3 and sign a big but with Noel's (defensive) dominance I'm not so sure.

Jefferson would be the ultimate for me though imo.
Elden Payton
RealGM

Post#3 » by Elden Payton » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:38 am

Bobcats team salary 2012-13-14-15-16-17-Hoopsworld-This is a good analysis imo, including update from three days ago.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/charlotte-bob ... am-salary/

I genuinely must say I'm surprised by hoopsworld's quality, last time I looked on there they were kind of second rate (no offense) but after checking their FA list and our team salary analysis I'm kind of shocked.

Props to them, will read again ;)

Rougly we will have 12-15m depending on what we do, for players like Mayo, Millsap and Jefferson we'd have to go 12+ imo.

Do we throw our cake like that?
MPM
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,695

Post#4 » by MPM » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:53 am

Big Al would be great, but I'd be more than happy with Pekovic. Cheaper, a bit younger, almost as productive, and much more gruesome.
Elden Payton
RealGM

Post#5 » by Elden Payton » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:59 am

I'd hazard to guess minny is going to re up bigtime with him.

EDIT- Saying that I would really like him on our team but I don't think it will happen.
Kembastockton
Hornets Forum Mock Draft Co-Champ
And1: 56

Post#6 » by Kembastockton » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:11 pm

My free agency preference is Big Al. Next I would prefer his front court mate Paul Milsap. Aside from those two maybe a half hearted gesture to JJ Redick or Corey Brewer for some more scoring off the bench. I am not very enthused about this year's free agents.
-Ian-
Analyst
And1: 849

Post#7 » by -Ian- » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:28 pm

I doubt if Howard will sign an extension with the Lakers. Maybe MJ can break the bank and have the Superman come in Charlotte? :D
catch20two
RealGM
And1: 4,666

Post#8 » by catch20two » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:49 pm

-Ian- wrote:I doubt if Howard will sign an extension with the Lakers. Maybe MJ can break the bank and have the Superman come in Charlotte? :D

It's not impossible. At least if he comes to us he'll know he's going to get touches 8-)
They will wage war against the Lamb but the Lamb will triumph them because he is Lord of lords and King of kings - and with him will be his called, chosen and faithful followers." Revelation 17:14 (NIV)
Kembastockton

Post#9 » by Kembastockton » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:43 pm

Of course even I am not homerish enough to say getting Howard is a bad idea. However his attitude the last two years has eroded away all the eagerness I once had about signing him. I used to be the main guy screaming Paul and Howard in 13. However, I can't help but be a little screw-faced towards ANYONE who thinks that they should be their team's number one offensive option over Kobe Bryant. :dontknow:
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,564

Post#10 » by fatlever » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:51 pm

we had the free agent big man thread, but that was more related to right now. a dedicated 2013 free agency thread is a good idea. i will add to the index.
JT2006
Rookie
And1: 18

Post#11 » by JT2006 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:57 pm

bigs are always more expensive in relation to their talent. I say draft them because no one lets a big get away for free.
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets

Post#12 » by fatlever » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:01 pm

our focus should 100% be aimed at adding a power forward or center this summer. someone who can play on both ends.

al jefferson
nikola pekovic
david west
paul milsap
carl landry
jj hickson
marreese speights
tyler hansbrough
sammy dalembert
zaza pachulia
robin lopez
andray blatche
dejaun blair
brandan wright
catch20two
RealGM

Post#13 » by catch20two » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:07 pm

I'm almost sure Tyrus Thomas will be amnestied this offseason unless we plan on tanking yet another year for the 2014 draft. There will be quite a few decent bigs that we can make a play for that will upgrade our frontcourt to quality depth. Al Jefferson and Paul Milsap have been the common names thrown around as possibilities but I like the idea of looking at much cheaper and realistic options like Andray Blatche and DeJuan Blair without breaking the bank.
They will wage war against the Lamb but the Lamb will triumph them because he is Lord of lords and King of kings - and with him will be his called, chosen and faithful followers." Revelation 17:14 (NIV)
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets

Post#14 » by fatlever » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:09 pm

JT2006 wrote:bigs are always more expensive in relation to their talent. I say draft them because no one lets a big get away for free.

definitely. when in doubt, go big. something this franchise has failed to do on many occasions on draft night.

we have had 12 1st round picks, of that 12 the breakdown of position looks like:
PG: 3 - felton, augustin, kemba
SG: 2 - (traded for richardson), henderson
SF: 3 - morrison, dudley, MKG
PF: 1 - may
C: 3: okafor, ajinca, biyombo

just criminal that we have used 3 top 9 picks on point guards in less than 8 years.

i am getting depressed just looking at this list
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets

Post#15 » by fatlever » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:13 pm

assuming the knees check out, i would definitely look at adding blair on a reasonable 2-3 year deal. he shouldnt be done yet and has something to prove.

my 1st option would be to go after milsap, since i think he is a realistic target. i dont see any way twolves let pekovic go. i doubt west would come here. he seems happy in indiana and they will resign him.
catch20two
RealGM

Post#16 » by catch20two » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:20 pm

I don't understand the allure of some of us Bobcats fans to Paul Milsap :dontknow:

He's not coming to us for cheap. He'll demand All-Star money in which he's not worth. I'd rather throw try to throw that at his teammate that's much better in Al Jefferson. Otherwise we should go the cheap route for Andray Blatche.
SWedd523
RealGM
And1: 5,112

Post#17 » by SWedd523 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:31 pm

My biggest (lawl) target of the offseason is Pekovic. Relatively young enough to stick around now and when the rebuild is complete, capable of scoring and rebounding (our two biggest weaknesses), massive size and strength so he's not going to get bullied and adds that aspect the team is lacking due to lightweights like Tyrus/The Drim/Mully

And he would allow Bismack to focus his energies on the defensive side of the floor. He's going to be expensive, but I'd be more willing to pay him 12+ than a guy like Millsap or Jeffferson 10+

I'd be really happy with a top 6 of Kemba/McLemore or Shabazz/MKG/Pekovic/Bismack/Mully
catch20two
RealGM

Post#18 » by catch20two » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:38 pm

SWedd523 wrote:My biggest (lawl) target of the offseason is Pekovic.

Pekovic is a pipe dream. The T'Wolves aren't letting him go even if they have to pay the max. They'll match any offer sheet.
Kembastockton

Post#19 » by Kembastockton » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:11 pm

catch20two wrote:I don't understand the allure of some of us Bobcats fans to Paul Milsap :dontknow:

He's not coming to us for cheap. He'll demand All-Star money in which he's not worth. I'd rather throw try to throw that at his teammate that's much better in Al Jefferson. Otherwise we should go the cheap route for Andray Blatche.

He is a big that can score, rebound, block shots, and is not afraid to pass every now and then. What is hard to understand about that? If he demands all star money he is free to go where ever someone will give it to him. With the number of free agents available and the limited number of teams with significant capspace Allstar money might not be as much of a lock as you think.
catch20two
RealGM

Post#20 » by catch20two » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:20 pm

MountBiyombo wrote:
catch20two wrote:I don't understand the allure of some of us Bobcats fans to Paul Milsap :dontknow:

He is a big that can score, rebound, block shots, and is not afraid to pass every now and then. What is hard to understand about that? If he demands all star money he is free to go where ever someone will give it to him. With the number of free agents available and the limited number of teams with significant capspace Allstar money might not be as much of a lock as you think.

He's just above average at scoring, rebounding, and blocking shots, nothing special. If he can be had for $9-11 million then why not, but anything more we should be looking at other options. He's not going to generate any fan buzz or lead us into playoff contention. He'd be the 3rd best player on our team.

Return to Charlotte Hornets