ImageImage

The 2013 free agency thread.

Moderators: JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben, BigSlam

Kembastockton
Hornets Forum Mock Draft Co-Champ
And1: 56

Re: The free agency thread. 

Post#21 » by Kembastockton » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:29 pm

He'd be the 3rd best player on our team.

In other words he would fill a need, but not sabbogtage the rebuild. Right? :P
catch20two
RealGM
And1: 4,666

Post#22 » by catch20two » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:32 pm

MountBiyombo wrote:
He'd be the 3rd best player on our team.

In other words he would fill a need, but not sabbogtage the rebuild. Right? :P

We need impact players. Point blank. We have enough uncertainty in our youth.
They will wage war against the Lamb but the Lamb will triumph them because he is Lord of lords and King of kings - and with him will be his called, chosen and faithful followers." Revelation 17:14 (NIV)
Kembastockton

Post#23 » by Kembastockton » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:39 pm

I think 14 ppg 8 rbs. 3 assts and a steal would be impactful to our team.
catch20two
RealGM

Post#24 » by catch20two » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:48 pm

MountBiyombo wrote:I think 14 ppg 8 rbs. 3 assts and a steal would be impactful to our team.

For what? 8th-10th seed?
They will wage war against the Lamb but the Lamb will triumph them because he is Lord of lords and King of kings - and with him will be his called, chosen and faithful followers." Revelation 17:14 (NIV)
JMAC3
General Manager
And1: 4,137

Post#25 » by JMAC3 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:52 pm

I think Millsap or Big Al are our two best bets. I don't see Utah signing both and may let both walk if the money is too much and try and rebuild around a core of Burks, Hayward, Favors, and Kanter.

Millsap is a do it all kind of guy. He can score from a ton of places on the floor, grabs boards, and can pass. He even shoots 41% from 3 and can knock down free throws.

Jefferson is a more traditional big man. Somebody who can score on the block, get you a nightly double double, and decent shot blocker.

Both guys are only playing around 30 minutes a game this year because they are carving out minutes for Favors and Kanter. I think if they played for us and were a go to option they would both put up around 20 and 10.

Depends on what we do in the draft, if we want them to mix well with Biz or if we see him as a bench big. They are pretty much the same age 27 and 28.

I would be willing to overpay if I had to for either one of them, because we have money to spend. Why bring in a guy like Blair or Blatche who wont make much a difference. We have to pay someone and to me both are going to produce so who cares if we pay them 10 million or 13 million. Its not like we are going to need to pay our young guys anytime soon and by then we will have Thomas and Gordon off our books.
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
Eoghan
RealGM
And1: 3,293

Post#26 » by Eoghan » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:13 pm

catch20two wrote:
SWedd523 wrote:My biggest (lawl) target of the offseason is Pekovic.

Pekovic is a pipe dream. The T'Wolves aren't letting him go even if they have to pay the max. They'll match any offer sheet.

I like Pekovic the best too I think. The Wolves do not want to go over the luxury cap so I'd throw 10+ at Pek and see if they blink.

I'd much rather draft a scorer in this draft and sign a big, the FA wings this year do not excite me at all.
MasterIchiro
RealGM
And1: 5,337

Post#27 » by MasterIchiro » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:33 pm

The ability to possibly sign Millsap could extinguish the temptation to draft Bennett. If it turns out we can't draft a scorer (Shabazz or McLemore) then I think O.J. Mayo becomes the most important free agent target out there for our roughly 13 million.

O.J. Mayo + Noel or McLemore/Shabazz + Millsap.

I think I would be fine with either scenario.
It has been written...
BlackOutBuzz
Hornets Forum Capologist
And1: 2,970

Post#28 » by BlackOutBuzz » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:43 pm

The Dime Magazine link is actually the ESPN FA list again, and the SB Nation list is a year old (talks about Harden being a free agent because the Thunder won't re-sign him).

I too would really like us to sign a 4 in FA, but that list doesn't excite me too much. Don't want Josh Smith, my first 2 choices would be West and Millsap but I wouldn't want to pay them what they're worth. I guess that makes my top 3 choices Jamison, Hickson, and....Mully? Slim pickings to say the least.

On the center list I feel the same way about Jefferson as I do about teammate Millsap. Love the guy as a player, just don't wanna break the bank to pay him what he's worth. Pek does make a lost of sense, I'd love to throw a big number his way and see what happens. Mozgov, Splitter, and Blair are also worth a look IMO.

EDIT: Thought Pek was younger, 27 compared to the Jazz duo who are 28. That sours me on him, just a bit.

I guess then I'd put Pek, Millsap, and Jefferson in the "overpay if we need to and while you're at it let's amnesty Tyrus" category.
Cheaper affordable guys I like would be Jamison, Hickson, Mozgov, Splitter, and Blair.
Hornets Picks by Year
2021: Bouknight, Jones, Thor, Lewis

Protection on future 1st* (to NYK); 2nds
2022: 1-18; CHA (31-55), TOR 2 (55-60)
2023: 1-16; BOS (GH)
2024: 1-14; BOS (GH)
2025: 1-14; CHA (31-55)
*Becomes two 2nds if unconveyed
Kembastockton

Post#29 » by Kembastockton » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:15 pm

catch20two wrote:
MountBiyombo wrote:I think 14 ppg 8 rbs. 3 assts and a steal would be impactful to our team.

For what? 8th-10th seed?

You guys are never going to let go of that nonsense are you? We have Kemba, MKG, our pick this year, and our two picks owed to us. We have cap flexibility with major contracts ending every year. Adding Millsap does not come close to putting us on the tread mill. A team only needs two stars surrounded by role players to be successful. Kemba has star written all over him. We only need one more home run in the draft, and it will be time to start finding role players any way. A player like Millsap only makes us stronger when we get our young players ready to go. I declare sometimes I think some of you are expecting to get an all star at every position.
catch20two
RealGM

Post#30 » by catch20two » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:20 pm

I would like to have Milsap on our team but I doubt that he'd want to sign with us so that's probably why I'm a little bias towards him as a option. I don't really feel like we need him but his talent as a solid big that can flash the occasional star quality would be a nice addition.
Probst
Junior
And1: 5

Post#31 » by Probst » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:36 am

I'd take Millsap in a heartbeat over Al Jeff though I suspect that Houston might take a run at him
Kembastockton

Post#32 » by Kembastockton » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:17 pm

I think Houston removed their significant capspace when they extended Harden. If I am not mistaken the only teams with more capspace this summer are Cleaveland, Utah, and Atlanta.
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,523

Post#33 » by HornetJail » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:12 pm

Probst wrote:I'd take Millsap in a heartbeat over Al Jeff though I suspect that Houston might take a run at him

I'd take Jefferson. We don't need another undersized big. Millsap's good and all, but he's nowhere close to Al Jefferson offensively or on the boards and his defense isn't that much better than Jefferson. Give me Jefferson unless he's going to be making Joe Johnson money or something.
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,043

Post#34 » by Liver_Pooty » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:21 pm

This team could be intriguing next season with a lineup of Walker, McLemore, MKG, Mullens and Jefferson'
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,523

Post#35 » by HornetJail » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:24 pm

Liver_Pooty wrote:This team could be intriguing next season with a lineup of Walker, McLemore, MKG, Mullens and Jefferson'

I'd actually rather see Mully come off the bench and start AlJeff at the 4 with Biz. Biz would complement Jefferson a lot better. Jefferson is exactly what Biz needs.
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
Elden Payton
RealGM
And1: 2,591

Post#36 » by Elden Payton » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:04 pm

CHA_77_Bobcats wrote:
Probst wrote:I'd take Millsap in a heartbeat over Al Jeff though I suspect that Houston might take a run at him

I'd take Jefferson. We don't need another undersized big. Millsap's good and all, but he's nowhere close to Al Jefferson offensively or on the boards and his defense isn't that much better than Jefferson. Give me Jefferson unless he's going to be making Joe Johnson money or something.

This is exactly my sentiment on the Millsap v Jefferson debate.

Al Jeff is a 6'10, 289 PF/C, who is arguably one of the best post scoring bigs in the league today, is a very good rebounder, blocks shots and averages 2 assists despite having a reputation as a black hole...his defense is actually decent and he looks like Ben Wallace compared to Mullens/Tyrus/Warrick.

Next season will be Jefferson's tenth, he is still young and after playing in Boston for 3 years, Minny for 3 years and Utah for 3 years he would probably like to settle with a team for good...we should be that team and he is the perfect young vet for us.

Millsap is an excellent player but at 6'8 doesn't have the size required to play with Biz, we'd also have to pay him roughly what we'd pay Jefferson and he isn't as good as Jefferson.

Millsap is 27 and Jefferson is 28.

Picture this team.

Kemba/Sessions
Hendo(QO)/Taylor
MKG/Marvin Williams+Derrick Brown ;)
Jefferson/Mullens/Biyombo
Noel/Biyombo

Trade Haywood, Tyrus(if we can) and let Reggie, Diop and Hakim expire.

Sad as it is to say if you add 2.5m(RW), 7m(DD) and 4m(HW) you've got 13.5m...I reckon a deal starting at 12-13m gets us AlJeff.
Eoghan
RealGM
And1: 3,293

Post#37 » by Eoghan » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:13 pm

We're totally signing Kobe in 2014 so we need to get a big next year. /green font
Elden Payton
RealGM
And1: 2,591

Post#38 » by Elden Payton » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:20 pm

Wiggins sweepstakes.
James Gatz
Veteran
And1: 693

Post#39 » by James Gatz » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:22 pm

Sik Infant wrote:Wiggins sweepstakes.

We're not going to be the worst team in the league next year so our chances are minuscule. It doesn't matter how much people say it Wiggins will not end up a Bobcat.
dmutombo321
Sixth Man
And1: 365

Post#40 » by dmutombo321 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:09 am

Charlotte's biggest problem is that the years they've sucked hard have been years with poor draft classes. Having a top 3 pick in a weak draft like last years or this years doesnt mean a whole lot. Drawing a top selection in other years (like 03 with Lebron, Carmelo, Bosh and Wade) is significant.

The 2014 draft is universally anticipated as one of the best in a decade. Its not just Wiggins - theres three stud small forwards going top three.

Wiggins
Jabari Parker
Noah Vonleh (The Kid commited to IN whose a Jamal Mashburn clone.)

If Charlotte is smart, they'll stay the course and plan to suck again next year. If they're once again bottom three in the league, they're all but guaranteed a shot at one of those future stars.

In the mean time, I'd inquire about swapping MKG for Kanter out in Utah. He's a physical center who is only 20 years old and has shown he can play when given minutes. Even if Utah only retains one of jefferson/milsap this summer, they still have Favors at Center. MKG is a good young kid with potential on the wing but I dont project him as more than a very good role player. I know alot of people dont like to hear that but he'll never be more than an average jump shooter and he'll be relegated to the bench if we draft any of the top SFs in 2014. While Kanter may never be an allstar either, he's a talented top 3 pick himself who would address our size deficiency down low at center. Give Kanter minutes and he's a low post scoring threat who is a lock for 15/10 while playing physical defense.

Have watched Shabazz and he's more of a Stackhouse/pre-injury Bill Walker than a kobe/wade. I think we'll see Mclemore go first in this weak draft. If we win the lotto, take him. If not, I'd examine options to trade the pick for value if possible.

Suck through next season and then draft one of the three aforementioned studs during the summer sweapstakes of next year. At that point, we'll have Gordon dropping off the books and can still amnest Thomas if necessary giving us $ to add a premier FA or two.

2014:

Kemba / Sessions (resigned)
Mclemore / FA SG
(Wiggins, Parker or Vonleh) / Taylor
Premier FA PF (Greg Monroe?) / Mullens
Kanter / Biyombo / Haywood

Return to Charlotte Hornets