Get to know your fellow Charlotte fans

Moderators: JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben, BigSlam

mattcampbell
Junior
And1: 137

Re: Get to know your fellow Charlotte fans 

Post#301 » by mattcampbell » Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:04 am

fatlever wrote:fun related question

if you could have any degree from any college, what degree would you choose and from what college?

(assume in this scenario that you can fast forward thru the actual learning and hard work. you magically get the degree and all the knowledge gained along the way)
African American studies from UNC
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,613

Post#302 » by fatlever » Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:10 am

mattcampbell wrote:

if you could have any degree from any college, what degree would you choose and from what college?

(assume in this scenario that you can fast forward thru the actual learning and hard work. you magically get the degree and all the knowledge gained along the way)
African American studies from UNC

:lol: you just won the internet
JT2006
Rookie
And1: 18

Post#303 » by JT2006 » Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:20 am

philosophy, oxford
JT2006
Rookie

Post#304 » by JT2006 » Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:21 am

TheKingofSting wrote:
JT2006 wrote:
TheKingofSting wrote:
Indiana?

I've never been to India

Where the Pacers play.

:banghead:
Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,050

Post#305 » by Liver_Pooty » Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:55 am

JT2006 wrote:
TheKingofSting wrote:
JT2006 wrote:I've never been to India

Where the Pacers play.

Lol take it easy on the young blood.
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
Snidely FC
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,141

Post#306 » by Snidely FC » Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:08 pm

fatlever wrote:

law degree from harvard

environmental science degree from cornell

I would go with the Harvard Law degree, too.

BTW I am a Cornell grad. Majored in Facility Planning and Management. Ithaca was a great town to go to school.
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets

Post#307 » by fatlever » Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:18 pm

i visited ithaca about 10 years ago. one of the coolest towns i've ever seen, basically built on the side of a hill with countless waterfalls cascading down thru the town, and cornell perched atop looking down over the finger lakes.

cornell, home to the most famous grateful dead concert ever played back in may of 1977.

i heard they recently put fences up on the bridges on campus to stop the students from jumping off the bridges into the deep gorges below to commit suicide caused by the stress of cornell.

snidely, am i correct in thinking that cornell is one of the best schools for environmental science?
Snidely FC
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,141

Post#308 » by Snidely FC » Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:24 pm

Perfect description of Ithaca. The town's tagline is "Ithaca is Gorges."

The protective fences you mentioned are actually being replaced by nets to catch the jumpers. http://www.news.cornell.edu/stories/201 ... go-bridges

Cornell is definitely a top Environmental Science program, though you'd get arguments from Harvard, MIT, Berkeley, and some international schools like Tokyo.
TheKingofSting
RealGM
And1: 2,163

Post#309 » by TheKingofSting » Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:33 am

JT2006 wrote:
TheKingofSting wrote:
JT2006 wrote:I've never been to India

Where the Pacers play.

I mean I am talking about Indiana (where the Pacers play), you made it seem like I said India.
President of the Quinn Cook Fan Club

Bradley Beal has D Wade potential
JT2006
Rookie

Post#310 » by JT2006 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:26 pm

TheKingofSting wrote:
JT2006 wrote:
TheKingofSting wrote:
Where the Pacers play.

I mean I am talking about Indiana (where the Pacers play), you made it seem like I said India.

I'm pretty sure Indiana is a made up place from the movie Indiana Jones. Isn't that where he finds the crystal skulls?
MasterIchiro
RealGM
And1: 5,340

Post#311 » by MasterIchiro » Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:40 pm

My dream credential would be a Doctorate in Naturopathic Medicine from Bastyr University in Seattle. Basically you have to pass the same rigorous coursework and applied science courses as an MD but no insurance company classifies you as a primary care physician. You're a physician, with a mountain of debt comparable to medical school debt, and you have to go straight into private practice where you have to depend on your clients/patients paying out of pocket or you go into teaching (at Bastyr University). In addition to your medical school training you work with practitioners in Eastern medicine - herbalists, acupuncturists and so forth.

As for your applicants in finance. I recently dropped everything to obtain a 2nd degree in Nutrition & Dietetics. I'm about 3-4 courses (Physics, Calculus, Advanced Biology, Advanced Chemistry) short of sitting for the MCAT's and gunning for medical school. That's how tough the curriculum is. As a non-traditional student, I spent most of my time associating with other nontraditional students. One of them was 30, came to the nutrition program from Merrill Lynch. He couldn't hack courses in Human Genetics, Pharmocology and Medical Nutrition Therapy. I basically dragged his sorry ass through Organic Chemistry. He is a successful trader and investor who basically craps loafs of money. So think about that when you see a nutrition applicant. Mr. Merrill Lynch flopped. He never completed the program. Nutrition grads are not to far away from premed students and would you consider a premed student a disciplined learner and go-getter?
It has been written...
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets

Post#312 » by fatlever » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:50 pm

i think you missed my point MI.

i wasnt saying that a nutrition degree is any less of a degree or an easier degree or a degree that would suggest someone isnt capable of doing an entry level finance job. as i said earlier, i could train just about anyone with half a brain to do the work. when i see applicants like the ones i mention, i question whether or not they know what they are applying for and i question their motives and their sincerity.

for example,

someone just graduated from a local college with a nutrition science degree. they had side jobs and internships in college that were all related to nutrition or health. they have a linkedin page discussing their desire for a position in a health related field. but, 2 months after graduating they send in a resume for an entry level finance job. thats a sign of a few things:

1) they have no idea what they really want to do and are applying for any and every job opening they see
2) they are desperate for a steady job and steady income while they continue to look for something more permanent in their related field of interest
3) their parents are sick of them laying around the house and are forcing them to apply for jobs.
4) they really don't want to pursue a job related to their major and are simply looking for a good place to get experience for several years before re-evaluating their career path.

of those 4 scenarios, only the last one is someone i would consider hiring.

i don't expect all recent grads to have everything figured out. and i certainly understand that some grads get degrees in fields they have no interest in pursuing as a job. however, i have been doing this long enough to have concerns about these types. the worst thing that can happen is i spent 6 months training someone for a job that they dont really want and then leave first chance they get for something more related to their degree.
TheKingofSting
RealGM

Post#313 » by TheKingofSting » Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:03 am

JT2006 wrote:
TheKingofSting wrote:
JT2006 wrote: :banghead:

I'm pretty sure Indiana is a made up place from the movie Indiana Jones. Isn't that where he finds the crystal skulls?

Okay CaptainCrunk. :D

bomberjame
Ballboy
And1: 7

Post#314 » by bomberjame » Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:11 am

Hello everyone
Age 38
Location Melbourne Australia
Profession Train controller
What did you study? basketball
Level of basketball? I coach basketball at rep level. Dont play anymore.
Compare your game to current/former Bobcat? Steve Smith. Use to come off the bench and chuck up 3s.
Why did you become a Bobcats fan? Back in the 80s I chose Charlotte as my team because of the logo. Followed them closely from afar with favorite players being Johnson, Rice, Mashburn, Mason and Coleman. Was mad when the team left for New Orleans. In 2002 named my third daughter Charlotte based for my love for the team.
Favorite piece of Bobcats history, relevant or irrelevant? When we drafted Okafor thinking we got a perennial all star to start our franchise.
What does your screen name mean? I love the Essendon Bombers Australian rules footy team and my name is Jamie so just a combo.
Favorite Bobcat of all-time? Walker
Favorite other NBA players of all-time?Iverson, Jordan and Shaq.
If you didn’t support the Bobcats what NBA team would you support? New Orleans to follow the Hornets/Pelicans
Other sports played growing up? Australian Rules football and cricket.
What other sports teams to you support? Essendon Bombers, Oakland Raiders, Miami Marlins, San Jose Sharks and Stoke City premier league.
Hobbies? Sports, gaming and collector.
Favorite music? I like most types of music.
Favorite TV shows/movies? The Simpsons, Star wars and the sixth sense.
Tattoos (how many, where)? None
Your dream team of hot chicks? Have to say my first crush Elisabeth Shue, Jennifer Connley and Megan Fox.
Other sites you visit to waste time (SFW)? Bomberblitz and imdb.
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets

Post#315 » by fatlever » Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:47 pm

bomberjame wrote:What does your screen name mean? I love the Essendon Bombers Australian rules footy team and my name is Jamie so just a combo.
What other sports teams to you support? Essendon Bombers

in related news, bigslam has a new favorite poster.
TheKingofSting
RealGM

Post#316 » by TheKingofSting » Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:39 am

My username means I am a Hornets fan. :)

Seriously, that is all I could come up with while registering.

Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,050

Post#317 » by Liver_Pooty » Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:47 am

TheKingofSting wrote:My username means I am a Hornets fan. :)

Seriously, that is all I could come up with while registering.

Apollo Creed called himself the King of Sting.
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
Probst
Junior
And1: 5

Post#318 » by Probst » Sat Aug 2, 2014 2:26 am

With the amount of Australians on this board alone, surely it's only a matter of time before we get a pre-season tour or exhibition game down under.

The LOB trophy was a nice start but give the people what they want.
bomberjame
Ballboy
And1: 7

Post#319 » by bomberjame » Sun Aug 3, 2014 11:29 am

Would be a dream of mine to see the Hornets play live.
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 8,358

Post#320 » by BigSlam » Thu Aug 7, 2014 1:53 am

bomberjame wrote:What does your screen name mean? I love the Essendon Bombers Australian rules footy team and my name is Jamie so just a combo.

:rockon:
B B M F 'ers

Return to Charlotte Hornets