ImageImage

OMFKG! The Michael Kidd-Gilchrist Thread II

Moderators: JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben, BigSlam

Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,045

Re: OMFKG! The Michael Kidd-Gilchrist Thread II 

Post#1281 » by Liver_Pooty » Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:53 pm

Clifford talks way too much about having size at each position to go with a 6', 6'5, 6'5, 6'9 lineup for long stretches.
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
Elden Payton
RealGM
And1: 2,591

Post#1282 » by Elden Payton » Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:58 pm

MKG will start and play 30+mpg imo.

Hendo is a perfect sixth man.
Liver_Pooty
RealGM

Post#1283 » by Liver_Pooty » Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:59 pm

fatlever wrote:MKG will start, hendo will finish games.

Yes sir. Henderson will finish the game at SG with Stephenson at SF more than likely.
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
LamarMatic7
Hornets Forum High-End Journalist
And1: 2,351

Post#1284 » by LamarMatic7 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:43 pm

MasterIchiro wrote:
Liver_Pooty wrote:
MasterIchiro wrote:
Henderson is going to get the bulk of minutes at SF. MKG will come off the bench and play 20-25 min

If MKG comes off the bench and plays upward of 25 minutes Im not sure how Henderson gets the bulk of minutes at SF. Its mathematically impossible.

Highly, highly doubt Henderson starts at SF. He will see some minutes there, but him getting the bulk of minutes there just won't happen.

Somebody has to lose minutes between SG and SF. It won't be Lance or Neal as Neal is one of the best outside shooters on the team. It will come down to Henderson and MKG. MKG getting more minutes than Hendo at SF just won't happen.

Yet what LP pointed out is that you just said that MKG will play 20-25 minutes. It's unlikely that Hendo would get more minutes than MKG at SF it that was to be the case.
LofJ
RealGM
And1: 10,509

Post#1285 » by LofJ » Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:30 pm

I expect us to be leading at the end of games more often that not, and in those cases it makes more sense to have MKG on the court to help protect the lead. We lost several games last year because MKG was sitting on the bench (the Magic game that cost us the 5th seed was the most egregious). If Clifford isn't blowing smoke down our ears and MKG really has substantially improved his shot and his confidence level I doubt we will be pulling him in crunch time very much.
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,532

Post#1286 » by HornetJail » Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:54 pm

LofJ wrote:I expect us to be leading at the end of games more often that not, and in those cases it makes more sense to have MKG on the court to help protect the lead. We lost several games last year because MKG was sitting on the bench (the Magic game that cost us the 5th seed was the most egregious). If Clifford isn't blowing smoke down our ears and MKG really has substantially improved his shot and his confidence level I doubt we will be pulling him in crunch time very much.

No question. Our wing duo provides some of the best lockdown defense in the NBA. I expect Kemba, Lance, and Al will always have the ball in their hands for the last shot so it makes more sense to have a guy like MKG in there for offensive rebounding and backdoor cuts. Last season, it was often Neal and Hendo (or Neal and CDR) as the wings for the last shot and Game 2 ended disastrously as a result (remember Neal's horrendous final play?). Hopefully with Lance being able to create for himself and others, that eliminates the need to have Neal out there.

I don't have a problem with closing out a game with Al/MKG/Hendo/Lance/Kemba. Hendo certainly has had some clutch moments.
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
LofJ
RealGM
And1: 10,509

Post#1287 » by LofJ » Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:18 pm

BizGilwalker wrote:
LofJ wrote:I expect us to be leading at the end of games more often that not, and in those cases it makes more sense to have MKG on the court to help protect the lead. We lost several games last year because MKG was sitting on the bench (the Magic game that cost us the 5th seed was the most egregious). If Clifford isn't blowing smoke down our ears and MKG really has substantially improved his shot and his confidence level I doubt we will be pulling him in crunch time very much.

No question. Our wing duo provides some of the best lockdown defense in the NBA. I expect Kemba, Lance, and Al will always have the ball in their hands for the last shot so it makes more sense to have a guy like MKG in there for offensive rebounding and backdoor cuts. Last season, it was often Neal and Hendo (or Neal and CDR) as the wings for the last shot and Game 2 ended disastrously as a result (remember Neal's horrendous final play?). Hopefully with Lance being able to create for himself and others, that eliminates the need to have Neal out there.

I don't have a problem with closing out a game with Al/MKG/Hendo/Lance/Kemba. Hendo certainly has had some clutch moments.

I'd rather we play Marvin over Henderson to keep our size up, but outside of that I agree. I actually think our likely regular starting unit of Kemba/Lance/MKG/Marvin/Al will also finish most games for us.
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,532

Post#1288 » by HornetJail » Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:30 pm

LofJ wrote:
BizGilwalker wrote:

I'd rather we play Marvin over Henderson to keep our size up, but outside of that I agree. I actually think our likely regular starting unit of Kemba/Lance/MKG/Marvin/Al will also finish most games for us.

I actually think we need to just start Al/MKG/Lance/Kemba and use the 5th starting position variably to fit matchups. Are we playing an ordinary team with a traditional starting five with a true C and a true PF? If so, then start Al/Marvin/MKG/Lance/Kemba. Are we playing a small-ball team that places a small forward at the 4? If so, then start Hendo (or Hairston or Neal but preferably Hendo) and stick MKG at the 4 against the SF that is masquerading as a PF. Are we playing a team with one very athletic big that Al won't be able to contain on his own? Then start Zeller or Vonleh and see how they do. The idea of a frontcourt of Al+Marvin trying to contain, say Javale McGee and Kenneth Faried is sort of scary.
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,613

Post#1289 » by fatlever » Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:18 pm

clifford made it pretty clear last year that he is not going to play small ball with a small forward at power forward. the closest we came to small ball at any point last year was hendo at small forward, tolliver at power forward or mcroberts at center (not necessarily at the same time).
Liver_Pooty
RealGM

Post#1290 » by Liver_Pooty » Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:19 pm

fatlever wrote:clifford made it pretty clear last year that he is not going to play small ball with a small forward at power forward. the closest we came to small ball at any point last year was hendo at small forward, tolliver at power forward or mcroberts at center (not necessarily at the same time).

Agreed. MKG is not going to play at PF. Nor should he.
Hugo The Hornet
Sophomore
And1: 59

Post#1291 » by Hugo The Hornet » Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:04 pm

MKG? PF? WTF?
[tweet]https://twitter.com/RHutchinson7/status/511922934764408832[/tweet]
chabber
Veteran
And1: 826

Post#1292 » by chabber » Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:09 pm

I don't know how often we'd see this lineup, probably not much, but Roberts, Neal and Henderson playing 1-3 together off the bench is scary small.
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,634

Post#1293 » by yosemiteben » Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:30 pm

chabber wrote:I don't know how often we'd see this lineup, probably not much, but Roberts, Neal and Henderson playing 1-3 together off the bench is scary small.

I mean I think most of us expect this to be our second string lineup along with Cody and Biz.

Good point though. That kind of makes Neal the odd man out because you'd have the same problem with Roberts, Neal and Lance. Maybe Neal will get more used as a PG or get some run with the 1st string?
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 43,039

Post#1294 » by JDR720 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:53 pm

Liver_Pooty
RealGM

Post#1295 » by Liver_Pooty » Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:34 pm

I like the look of focus on his face.
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,613

Post#1296 » by fatlever » Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:46 pm

that top picture looks almost as bad as last year. elbow in, left hand on top of ball, body turned away from the hoop at a 45 degree angle.
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#1297 » by JDR720 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:33 pm

JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#1298 » by JDR720 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:35 pm

a couple jumpshots in that video
Liver_Pooty
RealGM

Post#1299 » by Liver_Pooty » Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:47 am

JDR720 wrote:http://www.nba.com/hornets/hornets-optional-team-workouts-michael-kidd-gilchrist-9/23/14

MKG interview

Interview is still uncomfortable to watch at times, but hes getting better slowly.
Radu_Hornets
Rookie
And1: 325

Post#1300 » by Radu_Hornets » Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:45 am

Liver_Pooty wrote:
JDR720 wrote:http://www.nba.com/hornets/hornets-optional-team-workouts-michael-kidd-gilchrist-9/23/14

MKG interview

Interview is still uncomfortable to watch at times, but hes getting better slowly.

I don't remember how he was when we draft him... But "he's getting better!"

Hahaha no really it was painful to watch, I basically watch it to see him shoot jumpshot !

Return to Charlotte Hornets