ImageImage

OMFKG! The Michael Kidd-Gilchrist Thread II

Moderators: JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben, BigSlam

Elden Payton
RealGM
And1: 2,591

Re: OMFKG! The Michael Kidd-Gilchrist Thread II 

Post#1521 » by Elden Payton » Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:33 pm

LofJ wrote:I'm not sure how a 21 year old could be considered a late bloomer, but whatever...I'm so excited that he's finally getting some positive press. After how hard he's worked he deserves it.

Yeah that is amusing but I suppose they are talking in NBA experience?
Elden Payton
RealGM

Post#1522 » by Elden Payton » Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:35 pm

MasterIchiro wrote:If he wants Most Improved Player award he has some serious competition from OJ Mayo. He needs a gimmick. He has to stand out - go with a different look. I think if he went with an afro like Mayo he'd command even more attention on the court. A different look boosted the careers of many players - Rodman, Birdman, Joakim Noah. Mayo caught on, it's time MKG did as well. I've always said if I were a black dude I would grow an epic fro.

OJ is more eligible for the unofficial comeback player award.

He averaged 18/4/4 as a rook and regressed every season since.

No way he wins MIP.
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 43,089

Post#1523 » by JDR720 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:37 pm

MasterIchiro wrote:If he wants Most Improved Player award he has some serious competition from OJ Mayo. He needs a gimmick. He has to stand out - go with a different look. I think if he went with an afro like Mayo he'd command even more attention on the court. A different look boosted the careers of many players - Rodman, Birdman, Joakim Noah. Mayo caught on, it's time MKG did as well. I've always said if I were a black dude I would grow an epic fro.

Get an Iman Shumpert flattop or dreadlocks , get some cool tattoos maybe a nose ring, he'll be badass.
TheKingofSting
RealGM
And1: 2,163

Post#1524 » by TheKingofSting » Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:38 pm

I know it was only one game but still just how confident he is now and taking his shot with no hesitation is promising. We all already know how dangerous he is at driving and now if teams have to respect his jumpshot then he is playing with house money.
President of the Quinn Cook Fan Club

Bradley Beal has D Wade potential
MasterIchiro
RealGM
And1: 5,340

Post#1525 » by MasterIchiro » Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:40 pm

JDR720 wrote:

Get an Iman Shumpert flattop or dreadlocks , get some cool tattoos maybe a nose ring, he'll be badass.

Seriously, look at Allen Iverson - braids, tats - and he played with that edge MKG plays with so it fits.
It has been written...
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#1526 » by JDR720 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:48 pm

Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,052

Post#1527 » by Liver_Pooty » Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:04 pm

I've always thought it waqs ridiculous for players in their first 5 years in the league to receive MIP awards and such. That is what you are suppose to do your first few years... Improve..
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
Elden Payton
RealGM

Post#1528 » by Elden Payton » Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:05 pm

Liver_Pooty wrote:I've always thought it waqs ridiculous for players in their first 5 years in the league to receive MIP awards and such. That is what you are suppose to do your first few years... Improve..

That's why it is the MOST improved player award :wink:
TheKingofSting
RealGM

Post#1529 » by TheKingofSting » Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:11 pm

JDR720 wrote:Image

He grew into his head. :lol:

BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 8,358

Post#1530 » by BigSlam » Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:37 pm

LamarMatic7 wrote:Image

MKG deciding to take matters in his own hands after all the missed calls against him these last two years.

That clip is nice, but doesn't get Lance the credit he deserves for threading the needle and making a sweet pass.
B B M F 'ers
TheKingofSting
RealGM

Post#1531 » by TheKingofSting » Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:40 pm

The pass was sick. Live I didn't know how he got through to MKG.

LofJ
RealGM
And1: 10,519

Post#1532 » by LofJ » Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:15 am

BigSlam wrote:
LamarMatic7 wrote:Image

MKG deciding to take matters in his own hands after all the missed calls against him these last two years.

That clip is nice, but doesn't get Lance the credit he deserves for threading the needle and making a sweet pass.

Agreed, it was a nasty pass. The whole gif needs to be made.
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,536

Post#1533 » by HornetJail » Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:51 am

TheKingofSting wrote:The pass was sick. Live I didn't know how he got through to MKG.

This is why I've been so excited about Lance. He can pass like McBob, except he'll do it at full sprint on the break and at literally any time. His impact goes well beyond the stat sheet because the defense NEVER knows what he'll do.
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
Elden Payton
RealGM

Post#1534 » by Elden Payton » Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:07 am

BizGilwalker wrote:
TheKingofSting wrote:The pass was sick. Live I didn't know how he got through to MKG.

This is why I've been so excited about Lance. He can pass like McBob, except he'll do it at full sprint on the break and at literally any time. His impact goes well beyond the stat sheet because the defense NEVER knows what he'll do.

I'm really liking his attitude.

His quote from the Bucks game about being off offensively but wanting to contribute by rebounding, playing defense and setting the table is pretty commonly said by NBA players but not shown in action.

Between MKG and Lance we have 2 wings who are elite rebounders and defenders for their positions who both share the famed MJ level competitiveness and win at all costs mantra.
KingCat
Sixth Man
And1: 831

Post#1535 » by KingCat » Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:06 am

Damn its a miracle he didn't even get a technical for that :lol:
Your Charlotte Hornets! We’ll eventually get something right;right?
Braggins
RealGM
And1: 8,146

Post#1536 » by Braggins » Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:44 am

BizGilwalker wrote:

His impact goes well beyond the stat sheet because the defense NEVER knows what he'll do.

I don't think Lance does either but I love it. We will be fun to watch even if we end up being a disappointment overall. This season should be wild.
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#1537 » by JDR720 » Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:08 pm

Benjamin Linus
Veteran
And1: 1,268

Post#1538 » by Benjamin Linus » Sun Nov 2, 2014 1:14 pm

I love this confidence out of MKG and the improved jumper, but I want to see him keep it up throughout the season. He's been known as someone who comes out of the gate strong.

Last season he scored at least 14 points in 6 of his first 9 games and then didn't score over 11 points for the rest of the regular season and everyone remembers how great he played at the start of his rookie season before he went into an extended slump.

I know injuries were a part of it, but I believe those extended slumps were largely mental. And I also don't expect him to average the 14 points and 10 rebounds on 67% that he's putting up now. I just want to see him play with this confidence for the entire season.
LofJ
RealGM
And1: 10,519

Post#1539 » by LofJ » Sun Nov 2, 2014 1:59 pm

Benjamin Linus wrote:I love this confidence out of MKG and the improved jumper, but I want to see him keep it up throughout the season. He's been known as someone who comes out of the gate strong.

Last season he scored at least 14 points in 6 of his first 9 games and then didn't score over 11 points for the rest of the regular season and everyone remembers how great he played at the start of his rookie season before he went into an extended slump.

I know injuries were a part of it, but I believe those extended slumps were largely mental. And I also don't expect him to average the 14 points and 10 rebounds on 67% that he's putting up now. I just want to see him play with this confidence for the entire season.

You're right on the money about MKG usually coming out of the gate strong and then disappearing, but I strongly feel that things are different this season. His body language has changed. He expects to play well now and isn't getting down on himself when he makes a bad play. He's worked hard to get better and he's starting to finally believe in himself. I know we all hope this won't be a flash in the pan. I don't think it will be this time.
Bassman
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,522

Post#1540 » by Bassman » Sun Nov 2, 2014 3:11 pm

Glad to see Hyphen is performing well early. His emergence as a powerful player is vital to our season and future. I was not confident he could overcome his shooting mechanics. Still a ways to go but he has made great progress this offseason. When Lance gets going they will be something together. Add Vonleh when he is ready, and our "big 3" might rightly be Noah, MKG and Lance (4 with Kemba).
I continue to wait...and hope...for the return to Hornet's glory.

Return to Charlotte Hornets