ImageImage

OT: What Are You Listening to Now?

Moderators: JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben, BigSlam

LamarMatic7
Hornets Forum High-End Journalist
And1: 2,351

Re: OT: What Are You Listening to Now? 

Post#101 » by LamarMatic7 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:39 pm

Tupik wrote:Ok this was extremely hard, but here's my rankings for top 20 hip-hop of all-time. More or less ranked, but I didn't put too much thought into it or else I'd have pulled my hair out by now. I cheated a bit because I'm putting several albums per artist:

Huge props for Camp Lo making the HO list, however, I have to ask - OB4L II over the first part!? I mean, I also love the second album and it was pleasantly and surprisingly good (I even considered it for my top20 list) but above the original purple tape!?
Tupik
Rookie
And1: 53

Post#102 » by Tupik » Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:13 pm

LamarMatic7 wrote:
Tupik wrote:Ok this was extremely hard, but here's my rankings for top 20 hip-hop of all-time. More or less ranked, but I didn't put too much thought into it or else I'd have pulled my hair out by now. I cheated a bit because I'm putting several albums per artist:

Huge props for Camp Lo making the HO list, however, I have to ask - OB4L II over the first part!? I mean, I also love the second album and it was pleasantly and surprisingly good (I even considered it for my top20 list) but above the original purple tape!?

I'd have loved to put Camp Lo in the top 20 too, but you gotta draw the line somewhere I guess. Criminaly underrated album. And yeah, I think I actually prefer OB4CL2 over the first, I think it flows better and I absolutely love all the songs on there. Definitely one of the strongest post-2000 albums for me. I love the Purple Tape but not as much as other Wu-Tang albums like Tical or Liquid Swords. The first should definitely have made the HM list though, and now that I look at it there's a couple more albums that deserved to be on there too : Madvillainy, Supreme Clientele... **** I don't even have The Low End Theory on my list... 20 is just too little I guess.
LamarMatic7

Post#103 » by LamarMatic7 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:33 pm

I have listened to Pinata now twice, Tupik. Madlib's production is on point and Freddie Gibbs was surprisingly enjoyable (I hadn't really enjoyed his music previously). In the meantime, I just ordered the new Cunninlynguists album which supposedly is also just great. The opportunity to pay for an album how much you want to before downloading it on Bandcamp really plays tricks on your head. I ended up ordering a physical copy with some extra stuff they shipped my way. They definitely are a group who deserve fans buying their stuff though.

Right now listening to:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEvVgtQzCqw[/youtube]

As far as new stuff goes, Oddisee's "Tangible Dream", Black Milk's new EP and Mobb Deep's new album (side A consists of new stuff, side B is previously unheard recordings from The Infamous sessions.. I'm still surprised about how this came out of nowhere) are on my must-hear list as well.

I also came up with ideas for my next two rankings. My 10 favorite verses in hip-hop and my 20 favorite 80s pop songs. I like the idea of these two for some reason.
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,613

Post#104 » by fatlever » Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:45 pm

20 fave 80s pop songs? Challenge accepted.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using RealGM Forums mobile app
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets

Post#105 » by fatlever » Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:18 am

quick ranking of my 30 favorite 80s pop songs.

im sure there are a lot of good ones i am missing. i simply scrolled thru my library. lots of great 80s songs i got tired of back in the day never made it to my digital library. must of my favorites are from 80-85, an era i generally regard as one of the best in pop music history. i dont have much from 86-89. i was never really into 80s metal or the computerized r&b that dominated the radio during the 2nd half of the decade.

trying to limit the list to stuff that was on the radio and not obscure stuff.

1 This Must Be the Place : Talking Heads
2 Back on the Chain Gang : Pretenders
3 Come on Eileen : Dexy's Midnight Runners
4 Everybody Wants to Rule the World : Tears for Fears
5 Rosanna : Toto
6 Rock the Casbah : Clash
7 Overkill : Men at Work
8 Billy Jean : Michael Jackson
9 Take On Me : A-ha
10 I Can't Stand It : Eric Clapton
11 I.G.Y : Donald Fagen
12 Forever Man : Eric Clapton
13 Eminence Front : Who
14 Message In a Bottle : Police
15 Steppin Out : Joe Jackson
16 Take It Away : Paul McCartney
17 Right Next Door : Robert Cray
18 Africa : Toto
19 Allentown : Billy Joel
20 I Missed Again : Phil Collins
21 Rio : Duran Duran
22 All Night Long : Lionel Richie
23 Its A Mistake : Men at Work
24 Sweetest Taboo : Sade
25 Genius of Love : Tom Tom Club
26 Major Tom : Peter Schilling
27 Every Little Thing She Does is Magic : Police
28 What I Am : Eddie Brickell
29 Superman : REM
30 In a Big Country : Big Country

here is my favorite pop song from the 80s - pure magic
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9gK2fOq4MY[/youtube]
vorbis
Veteran
And1: 671

Post#106 » by vorbis » Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:17 am

i'm gonna keep my big mouth shut about clapton.

also, i once wrote a screenplay for a music video for lionel richie's all night long. it wasn't kind.

edit: actually, remind me never to talk about 80s music with you over a couple of beers, fatlever. you'd probably punch me or something.
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets

Post#107 » by fatlever » Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:27 am

vorbis wrote:i'm gonna keep my big mouth shut about clapton.

also, i once wrote a screenplay for a music video for lionel richie's all night long. it wasn't kind.

edit: actually, remind me never to talk about 80s music with you over a couple of beers, fatlever. you'd probably punch me or something.

you can't drop a cliffhanger like that and then leave w/out more info. what do you have against clapton? he only became annoying when he did the accoustic crap in the early 90s. and who didnt love the can't slow down album by lionel richie? now if you want to trash dancing on the ceiling, that's fair game. don't tell me you also hated hall and oates, michael jackson, phil collins, the police, prince, huey lewis and all the other pop giants from the early to mid 80s?

were you an 80s metal head? dio, motley crue, whitesnake, poison, guns & roses?
or into all the depressing alternative music like the cure?
or maybe the harcore punk bands like black flag and agent orange?
or 80s hip hop like run dmc, beastie boys, dougie fresh

(this reminds me of an 80s junior high cafeteria where everyone sat together based on the music they liked. at one table you had all the metal heads who wore denim jackets and acid washed jeans. next to them you had the hip hop/break dancing kids who dressed like extras from electric boogalo 2. on the other side you had the punk rock kids with mohawks, black leather jackets with studs, combat boots, in the corner not talking to anyone where the depressed, suicidal kids who listened to the cure and looked like edward scissorhands minus the scissors. in the center of the cafeteria were the slutty girls who were all trying to dress like madonna. and of course the preppy kids who only listened to REM.)

come clean vorbis.

i cant wait to hear from the other guys in their late 30s and 40s who grew up in the 80s.
vorbis
Veteran
And1: 671

Post#108 » by vorbis » Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:59 am

fatlever wrote:you can't drop a cliffhanger like that and then leave w/out more info. what do you have against clapton? he only became annoying when he did the accoustic crap in the early 90s. and who didnt love the can't slow down album by lionel richie? now if you want to trash dancing on the ceiling, that's fair game. don't tell me you also hated hall and oates, michael jackson, phil collins, the police, prince, huey lewis and all the other pop giants from the early to mid 80s?

were you an 80s metal head? dio, motley crue, whitesnake, poison, guns & roses?
or into all the depressing alternative music like the cure?
or maybe the harcore punk bands like black flag and agent orange?
or 80s hip hop like run dmc, beastie boys, dougie fresh

(this reminds me of an 80s junior high cafeteria where everyone sat together based on the music they liked. at one table you had all the metal heads who wore denim jackets and acid washed jeans. next to them you had the hip hop/break dancing kids who dressed like extras from electric boogalo 2. on the other side you had the punk rock kids with mohawks, black leather jackets with studs, combat boots, in the corner not talking to anyone where the depressed, suicidal kids who listened to the cure and looked like edward scissorhands minus the scissors. in the center of the cafeteria were the slutty girls who were all trying to dress like madonna. and of course the preppy kids who only listened to REM.)

come clean vorbis.

i cant wait to hear from the other guys in their late 30s and 40s who grew up in the 80s.

in the 80s i was Gaston County trailer park boy getting music any way i could under nice but stern Christian parents. but first to the specifics - i think Clapton is a master technician with no soul. I am all about some Cream but put him on his own and he's adrift. thoroughly unsatisfying. notice how many of his hits were somebody else's songs? he needs serious handholding to make good music.

in my screenplay lionel richie is satan. the video takes place in hell, and there is a horrible blackface routine during the hey jambo jambo part. should give you an idea of how i feel about that. that song gives me a chill in my spine. it's irrational but i've learned not to ignore those feelings by now. lionel richie is still stupid rich and massively popular in the most random corners of the globe.

I also think that The Police, well, namely Sting, narrowly edges out U2 (pun intended) as the most overrated band of the 1980s and 1990s. I think Sting is a creep and almost none of Police's songs have aged well. instant dial-changer if one of their songs comes on the radio station i'm listening to.

as for what I liked in the 1980s, I was seriously conflicted. on one hand I was crazy for Michael Jackson like almost everybody else, but I also loved the Beach Boys and Hank Williams Sr. and Merle Haggard and Run DMC and whatever else I could find a way to hear without my parents making me return the tape to the store (true story). once I got a little older and had my license I secretly purchased and snuck my entire music collection into the house without telling my parents.

as for what I heard from my parents, my mom listened to Lite 102.9 every morning in the car on the way to school. so I got DeBarge, George Benson, Phil Collins, Huey Lewis Back To The Future soundtrack, and the Big Chill soundtrack from her. my dad (and I swear this is absolutely true) had an old truck with a tape deck. the week he bought the truck he also bought a tape single of That'll Be The Day by Buddy Holly. he put the tape in the tape deck, it got stuck, and he never fixed it in the 10+ years he owned the truck. so with that old tape deck, he could never listen to anything else, radio included since the tape was inserted. so I probably heard that song at least 100 times growing up.

so in the end, I hated the adult contemporary soft rock **** (I've since fallen retroactively and unironically in love with it though) but loved the Motown stuff and had a conflicted history with the country stuff. I've since evolved majorly, but that was my stuff in the 1980s, to answer your question.
Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,044

Post#109 » by Liver_Pooty » Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:36 am

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qq4j1LtCdww[/youtube]
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets

Post#110 » by fatlever » Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:38 am

thats a fantastic story vorbis. hilarious about the tape deck. man, these kids today dont know all the pain we went thru back in the day with our cassettes.

i kinda agree with you about clapton on his own. i do think he is one of the most overrated guitarists of all-time. if i had to rank my favorite guitarists, i doubt he would crack my top 30. i was a cream fan, first and foremost. then later a derek and the dominoes fan. i didnt really listent to any of the solo clapton stuff until the later 80s. and you are right, his best solo stuff was covers - i shot the sheriff, willy and the hand jive etc.. but i do really love those two songs i posted. they are the only two solo clapton songs i have on my laptop. i saw clapton in concert in 1989 at the old charlotte coliseum, the night before i took the SATs in 11th grade. in retrospect, that probably wasnt the best idea. why did my parents let me go to a concert the night before the SATs? later he came out with a double box set from that same tour - 24 nights. it was mostly crap to be honest.

i bought the all night long and running with the night on 45s back before i had a tape player. i used to go to the old grapevine on independence blvd about once a week to try and buy 45s. when i was in the 5th grade my elementary school had a radio station and they would let the kids dj. so we bought 45s for our 30 minute radio shows. that was the same year thriller came out. once thriller dropped that was the only album that got played for like 3 straight months. i got fired from my radio gig by the principal because i threw a glove out the window.

agreed about sting. he is a douchebag. hate his solo stuff. but i do dig me some police. was never a fan of u2. if i ever hear joshua tree again i will rip my ears off.

around 1986 i discovered oldies, 60s stuff and 70s stuff and that pretty much ended me listening to pop radio stuff ever again.

btw, how many of you got suckered into that columbia music deal where you could get 12 tapes for 1 penny, then you were sent 1 tape a month that you could either buy or return? man, everybody i knew got suckered into that scam at least once.
LamarMatic7

Post#111 » by LamarMatic7 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:16 pm

1. Simple Minds - Don't You (Forget About Me)
2. Tears for Fears - Everybody Wants to Rule the World
3. Wang Chung - Dance Hall Days
4. Hall & Oates - Out of Touch
5. Dexys Midnight Runners - Come On Eileen
6. a-Ha - Take on Me
7. Toto - Africa
8. Joe Jackson - Steppin' Out
9. Talk Talk - It's My Life
10. The Alan Parsons Project - Eye in the Sky
11. A Flock of Seagulls - The More You Live, The More You Love
12. Men at Work - Down Under
13. Paul Engemann - Push It to the Limit
14. Phil Collins - Sussudio
15. Midnight Oil - Beds Are Burning
16. Tears for Fears - Sowing the Seeds of Love
17. A Flock of Seagulls - I Ran (So Far Away)
18. Pet Shop Boys - West End Girls
19. Paul Simon - You Can Call Me Al
20. Peter Gabriel - Sledgehammer
21. Phil Collins - In the Air Tonight
22. The Pointer Sisters - I'm So Excited
23. The Smiths - There Is a Light That Never Goes Out
24. Starship - Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now
25. Soft Cell - Tainted Love
26. Sister Sledge - We Are Family
27. The Police - Every Breath You Take
28. Split Enz - Message to My Girl
29. Madonna - Material Girl
30. Wax - Bridge to Your Heart

or something like that.. It was hard to determine whether some songs belonged or not since they would mostly be labelled as "pop rock". The Alan Parsons Project could have easily been left off as I did with a few other songs. they mesh together for me since I have this huge 80s playlist. the story behind that? my high school class had an 80s themed party (well, one of them) to celebrate our graduation. I had the job of making the playlist for the night. It was received really really well and has been growing slowly ever since. It definitely is one of my life's best achievements, haha.
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets

Post#112 » by fatlever » Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:13 pm

nice to see we have a lot of 80s faves in common lamar. eye in the sky and beds are burning just barely missed my cut.
dmutombo321
Sixth Man
And1: 365

Post#113 » by dmutombo321 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:26 pm

Fantastic 80s list Lamar. Well done.

And Fats - I.G.Y....sneaking in an obligatory Steely Dan nod by way of proxy I see, lol. Great song.

I just checked the properties tab on my 80s mp3 folder and notice I have over 1200 songs so I dont know if I'd be up to task to name a mere 30 of my favorites.

Randomly however, a couple 80s songs that immediately spring to mind from the '80-'85 era that never got their just recognition IMO:

Wang Chung - Wait (From To Live and Die in LA, once of my fav gritty 80s B movies)
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RrDB0cC8xE[/youtube]

The Payolas- Eyes of a Stanger
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGrzZt4SCs0[/youtube]

Hall and Oates - Adult Education - was somewhat of an afterthought single for them on that '84 record but is back in the limelight now due to GTA5
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s22ufU-67iM[/youtube]
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets

Post#114 » by fatlever » Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:44 pm

nice catch on IGY dmutombo. i was wondering if anyone else was going to notice.

how can you not love a song called International Geophysical Year (IGY) about 1957 when the world came together to share scientific knowledge and ideas.

the entire 1982 album, nightfly, by donald fagen is brilliant. its a concept album about a kid growing up in the suburbs in the late 50s and early 60s. its basically and autobiography of fagen's childhood.

one of the things that make fagen so great is his ability to tell stories with his lyrics. most songs are just gibberish love songs. fagen always told stories.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sogYgHlNnqo[/youtube]
best if listened to with headphones to get all the tones and textures. master of the studio. 30 years later and nothing sounds this crisp and clean.
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets

Post#115 » by fatlever » Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:56 pm

adult education - havent listened to that song in a long time. what a great tune, despite the over-the-top 80s synth drums. my biggest complaint with 80s music, especially the late 80s was the overuse of electronic drums and drum machines. as a former drummer it makes me angry. to this day i still have a hard time listening to anything that doesnt have a real drummer playing a real drum set.

and talk about being a hypocrite, it was my favorite band ever, steely dan, that was one of the pioneers of the use of drum machines. fagen used a drum machine in parts on the gaucho album in 1980. he was such a perfectionist in the studio that it drove him mad that human drummers made tiny errors keeping time, even after dozens of takes.

here is a link about the drum machine built in 1978 by steely dan's enginer roger nichols called WENDEL.
http://rogernichols.com/wendel
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,526

Post#116 » by HornetJail » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:00 pm

fatlever wrote:adult education - havent listened to that song in a long time. what a great tune, despite the over-the-top 80s synth drums. my biggest complaint with 80s music, especially the late 80s was the overuse of electronic drums and drum machines. as a former drummer it makes me angry. to this day i still have a hard time listening to anything that doesnt have a real drummer playing a real drum set.

Same with me. Can't stand it. As a learning drummer, the electronic drums drive me nuts.
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 17,734

Post#117 » by Diop » Tue Apr 1, 2014 2:17 am

the 80's were my primary school years so a lot of these songs give me flash backs of school disco's and especially rolling skating at the Rollerdome. How could skating round in an oval about a 1000 times be so fun??? It just was.

I'm surprised Supertramp hasn't gotten a mention. (maybe more late 70's???)

I remember Dire Straits "Brothers in Arms" album just dominating.
Bob Seger getting plenty of play thanks to Tom Cruise.
Midnight Oil and INXS were obviously big for us down here in Australia.

but from memory, my favourite song from that time was this:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDK9QqIzhwk[/youtube]
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets

Post#119 » by fatlever » Tue Apr 1, 2014 4:53 am

Sachmo wrote:the 80's were my primary school years so a lot of these songs give me flash backs of school disco's and especially rolling skating at the Rollerdome. How could skating round in an oval about a 1000 times be so fun??? It just was.

I'm surprised Supertramp hasn't gotten a mention. (maybe more late 70's???)

I remember Dire Straits "Brothers in Arms" album just dominating.
Bob Seger getting plenty of play thanks to Tom Cruise.
Midnight Oil and INXS were obviously big for us down here in Australia.

i figured everyone in australia was obsessed with men at work. i love those dudes.

also love supertramp, but almost all their hits were 70s. i think only "its raining again" was 80s.

i got mtv in the summer of 1984. that next year they showed the dire straits video "money for nothing" about 10,000 times... to the point they made me hate that song. (of course this was back when mtv only showed music videos and nothing else)

i need to edit my rankings... i had two men at work songs in my top 30 with overkill ahead of its a mistake. upon further listening "its a mistake"... should be ranked higher.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0AxrOUJ62E[/youtube]

and some supertramp since we brought it up. not my favorite supertramp song, but its 80s. logical song, goodbye stranger, breakfast in america and bloody well right are all better songs, but its still good.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZUE4_PtOk0[/youtube]
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 17,734

Post#120 » by Diop » Tue Apr 1, 2014 5:04 am

Men At Works Land Down under was the theme song for Australia 2 when it beat the US in the America's Cup.

Probably the only time Australia has ever given a **** about sailing. So it was a massive song, but probably over played so I got sick of it.

I got back into Overkill from Scrubs.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjETcbEDmoQ[/youtube]

Return to Charlotte Hornets