Re: Gurkel: The Brian Roberts Thread 

Post#143 » by JDR720 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:46 pm

fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,618

Post#144 » by fatlever » Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:12 pm

Jeff Gillooly - The Brian Roberts Thread.

Last year Jrue Holiday goes down with a knee injury, Roberts becomes the starter. This year Kemba goes down with a knee injury, Roberts becomes the starter. Coincidence?
catch20two
RealGM
And1: 4,666

Post#145 » by catch20two » Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:05 am

fatlever wrote:Jeff Gillooly - The Brian Roberts Thread.

Last year Jrue Holiday goes down with a knee injury, Roberts becomes the starter. This year Kemba goes down with a knee injury, Roberts becomes the starter. Coincidence?

I was gonna bring it up that maybe he's bad luck to starting PGs if he's their backup because maybe he does a lot of praying for God to grant him his opportunity on the floor but I didn't know how to flip it without saying that Kemba and Jrue must not pray enough. Lol. So just coincidence.
They will wage war against the Lamb but the Lamb will triumph them because he is Lord of lords and King of kings - and with him will be his called, chosen and faithful followers." Revelation 17:14 (NIV)
TheKingofSting
RealGM
And1: 2,163

Post#146 » by TheKingofSting » Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:19 am

Roberts will surely get some undeserved blame when we start getting clobbered but I think he will do the best he can.
President of the Quinn Cook Fan Club

Bradley Beal has D Wade potential
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets

Post#147 » by fatlever » Tue Feb 3, 2015 4:42 pm

I think some people owe brian roberts an apology.
LamarMatic7
Hornets Forum High-End Journalist
And1: 2,351

Post#148 » by LamarMatic7 » Tue Feb 3, 2015 5:10 pm

I've been in his corner all season long, if my evaluation of his can be compared to such an idiom. (It seemingly can as the majority have been very critical of him).

Overall, I think he is a competent back-up point guard. He can shoot and he's not a negative on defense, that's enough for me. It's easy to point at his shortcomings but, man, not to offend anyone, it seems like a big problem with American sports fans is that in your opinion all of your players are either stars or scrubs. There's no in between. I still am not used to this amount of hatred that is expressed at role players.

They are role players for a reason, just as Roberts is. And I'm thankful that we don't have the usual NBA type of back-up guard who constantly is blown past by his assignment and loves to chuck jumpers.

That being said, the blog that I will finish today on the last two weeks will contain a rather negative take on Roberts though. He's looked lost on defense against elite point guards. Certainly not ready for these kind of match-ups. Tony Parker tore him a new one. If we had had someone who could at least somewhat keep Parker in check and not allow him to penetrate throughout the game, we would have won that game.
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,651

Post#149 » by yosemiteben » Tue Feb 3, 2015 5:21 pm

LamarMatic7 wrote:Tony Parker tore him a new one. If we had had someone who could at least somewhat keep Parker in check and not allow him to penetrate throughout the game, we would have won that game.

To be fair, Parker only scored 2 points and had 3 assists in the entire second half. He started out hot, but it was a two point game with two minutes left in the third quarter and Parker didn't do much after that. Curious to read your breakdown.

I think Roberts is doing exactly what we want him to do. Take care of the ball, set up the offense, score opportunistically when jumpshots present themselves, play team defense. I thought he was a good signing and, other than his poor shooting to start the season, have been happy with his play.
mrknowitall215
RealGM
And1: 2,384

Post#150 » by mrknowitall215 » Tue Feb 3, 2015 6:05 pm

6 games, 10.8 points (36 FG%, 32 3P%), 4.5 assist, 2.2 rebounds, and 1.2 turnovers

Not impressive, but Roberts is getting the job done
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#151 » by yosemiteben » Tue Feb 3, 2015 6:19 pm

Meh, I'd argue that a 4:1 A:TO ratio after being forced into a starters role is pretty impressive.

Also that FG% is taking a major hit because he shot poorly in a game we dominated (0-7 against Denver). When we've needed him, he's played well. He shot relatively poorly against SAS, but 6 assists and 3 steals with no TOs in 37 minutes was solid.
Hornet Mania
General Manager
And1: 7,402

Post#152 » by Hornet Mania » Tue Feb 3, 2015 7:02 pm

The most important thing Roberts is doing, as yosemiteben pointed out, is limiting his mistakes. He's not taking bad shots, he's not turning the ball over and he's not getting lit up by his man every night for 20+pts. If that sounds like a back-handed compliment, well, it sort of is. But he's a backup for a reason and the limitations were well-known before this season, I think it's a feather in his cap that he's making a positive contribution while keeping the negatives off the table for the most part. That's pretty much the definition of a quality role player. I also like how he doesn't seem afraid to shoot it when the opportunity presents itself, he's not wide-eyed and out of place late in the game which is huge because he's going to be one of the guys most likely to be left open in those situations. If he can keep this up we should be able to remain steady until Kemba returns.
mrknowitall215
RealGM

Post#153 » by mrknowitall215 » Tue Feb 3, 2015 7:33 pm

yosemiteben wrote:Meh, I'd argue that a 4:1 A:TO ratio after being forced into a starters role is pretty impressive.

With this said, I guess Kemba was impressive in November with a 5:1 assist-to-turnover ratio while shooting 37% from the field then, huh 8-)
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#154 » by yosemiteben » Tue Feb 3, 2015 7:48 pm

mrknowitall215 wrote:
yosemiteben wrote:Meh, I'd argue that a 4:1 A:TO ratio after being forced into a starters role is pretty impressive.

With this said, I guess Kemba was impressive in November with a 5:1 assist-to-turnover ratio while shooting 37% from the field then, huh 8-)

I never argued that there was nothing impressive about his play. I did argue that his shooting was killing us, and it was. That FG% is a lot more damaging when you are shooting in high volumes.
tondi123
Starter
And1: 1,376

Post#155 » by tondi123 » Tue Feb 3, 2015 8:08 pm

mrknowitall215 wrote:6 games, 10.8 points (36 FG%, 32 3P%), 4.5 assist, 2.2 rebounds, and 1.2 turnovers

Those stats aren't too far off of what has been put up by "Bad Kemba" over several multigame stretches over the last few years. Of course, theres virtually no chance of him ever replicating "Good Kemba" stats at any point which is the main reason we put up with all those "Bad Kemba" stretches.

Having said that, he's been a decent placeholder which is about all you can reasonably expect from a backup PG making a couple million a year.
mrknowitall215
RealGM

Post#156 » by mrknowitall215 » Tue Feb 3, 2015 8:13 pm

tondi123 wrote:
mrknowitall215 wrote:6 games, 10.8 points (36 FG%, 32 3P%), 4.5 assist, 2.2 rebounds, and 1.2 turnovers

Those stats aren't too far off of what has been put up by "Bad Kemba" over several multigame stretches over the last few years. Of course, theres virtually no chance of him ever replicating "Good Kemba" stats at any point which is the main reason we put up with all those "Bad Kemba" stretches.

Having said that, he's been a decent placeholder which is about all you can reasonably expect from a backup PG making a couple million a year.

I'll agree that Roberts has done enough not to be a detriment, and that's a good thing considering all things
catch20two
RealGM

Post#157 » by catch20two » Tue Feb 3, 2015 8:35 pm

I tell you what. I like how Bad Kemba stats equal Good Roberts stats. Lol
They will wage war against the Lamb but the Lamb will triumph them because he is Lord of lords and King of kings - and with him will be his called, chosen and faithful followers." Revelation 17:14 (NIV)
catch20two
RealGM

Post#158 » by catch20two » Tue Feb 3, 2015 8:37 pm

fatlever wrote:I think some people owe brian roberts an apology.

Nope. He's putting up stats slightly worse than Bad Kemba. I'll give him credit for keeping his turnovers down tho unlike Neal and Lance.
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets

Post#159 » by fatlever » Tue Feb 3, 2015 8:48 pm

catch20two wrote:

Nope. He's putting up stats slightly worse than Bad Kemba. I'll give him credit for keeping his turnovers down tho unlike Neal and Lance.

Lets put this in context - Nobody is saying Roberts should be a starter or replace Kemba. Not sure why Kemba is even brought up in this thread. Point being, Roberts has proven to be a solid backup point guard. He's doing everything you could ask of a cheap, journeyman backup. Many people dismissed Roberts as nothing better than a 3rd stringer or worse. Anyone expecting more out of a backup point guard is delusional.
catch20two
RealGM

Post#160 » by catch20two » Tue Feb 3, 2015 8:58 pm

fatlever wrote:
catch20two wrote:

Lets put this in context - Nobody is saying Roberts should be a starter or replace Kemba. Not sure why Kemba is even brought up in this thread. Point being, Roberts has proven to be a solid backup point guard. He's doing everything you could ask of a cheap, journeyman backup. Many people dismissed Roberts as nothing better than a 3rd stringer or worse. Anyone expecting more out of a backup point guard is delusional.

He's still a 3rd stringer on a good team to me and we're currently just a okay team. I wanted us to be a good team this year, not hovering around and below .500 fighting at the backend of the playoff race but it is what it is now. I actually think Roberts is okay. He's not hurting our team at all lately. I'm gonna try to find what I thought of the signing from the rip.

Return to Charlotte Hornets