[tweet]https://twitter.com/rick_bonnell/status/522787690287091712[/tweet]
[tweet]https://twitter.com/rick_bonnell/status/522798857722531840[/tweet]
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,649

Re: Don't Blow It - The Lance Stephenson Thread II 

Post#163 » by yosemiteben » Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:46 pm

There has been so much scoffing I've done in my head at that UNC fan talking about PJ getting more time. At this rate, though, he's gonna be starter. Shows what I know.
mrknowitall215
RealGM
And1: 2,384

Post#164 » by mrknowitall215 » Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:39 pm

[tweet]https://twitter.com/LangGreene/status/522979013204381696[/tweet]

...as he should be
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#165 » by yosemiteben » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:08 pm

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zrGCPEUtvk[/youtube]

This is old but saw it posted on the GB. Good lord.
catch20two
RealGM
And1: 4,666

Post#166 » by catch20two » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:43 pm

yosemiteben wrote:[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zrGCPEUtvk[/youtube]

I always thought Lance was a punk after that. Lol. Oh he's crazy and got a few screws loose but I'm surprised he let that slide without any retaliation. I know I wouldn't have.
They will wage war against the Lamb but the Lamb will triumph them because he is Lord of lords and King of kings - and with him will be his called, chosen and faithful followers." Revelation 17:14 (NIV)
TheKingofSting
RealGM
And1: 2,163

Post#167 » by TheKingofSting » Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:53 am

Why didn't he play tonight?
President of the Quinn Cook Fan Club

Bradley Beal has D Wade potential
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 17,822

Post#168 » by Diop » Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:35 am

catch20two wrote:
yosemiteben wrote:[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zrGCPEUtvk[/youtube]

I always thought Lance was a punk after that. Lol. Oh he's crazy and got a few screws loose but I'm surprised he let that slide without any retaliation. I know I wouldn't have.

makes him a bigger man in my eyes, it would be easy to go off and get himself t'ed up or ejected, but he did the right thing by his team and took the hit like a pro.

used to hate playing footy with young idiots who always got sucked into fighting by savvy vets.
BeesWax
General Manager
And1: 1,660

Post#169 » by BeesWax » Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:02 pm

Sachmo wrote:
catch20two wrote:

makes him a bigger man in my eyes, it would be easy to go off and get himself t'ed up or ejected, but he did the right thing by his team and took the hit like a pro.

used to hate playing footy with young idiots who always got sucked into fighting by savvy vets.

Completely agree Sach. This took at lot more control to act this way rather than explode. He took the shot like a pro then went to the line. Better than acting like a crazed idiot and going back at the guy.
Spoiler:
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#170 » by yosemiteben » Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:50 pm

The Pacers were down 35 to Miami in the playoffs with 20 seconds to go, which was probably part of the reason he wasn't feeling particularly feisty. Still, I'm surprised none of his teammates stuck up for him.
Hornet Mania
General Manager
And1: 7,396

Post#171 » by Hornet Mania » Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:29 pm

To be fair, the Pacers were doing the smart thing there. Dexter Pittman is a scrub, the Heat could not care less if he missed the rest of that postseason. If one of the Cavs takes a shot at Lance I'd hope Charlotte players would be professional enough to stand down as well. Pittman is a punk. Miami delivered their message with the 30+ point lead, no need to be a fake tough guy "enforcer" when the outcome is decided.
mrknowitall215
RealGM

Post#172 » by mrknowitall215 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:56 pm

Interesting tidbit, Lance Stephenson only finished 19% of Indiana’s possessions last year and through four preseason games he’s only finished 20% of Charlotte’s. How much more usage should we expect from Stephenson in order for him to be as successful as his expectations? Keep in mind that volume scoring shooting guards (i.e. James Harden, DeMar DeRozan) usually have a usage percentage of at least 28% while perimeter-oriented scoring shooting guards (i.e. Klay Thompson, Bradley Beal) usually hover around 24% usage
LamarMatic7
Hornets Forum High-End Journalist
And1: 2,351

Post#173 » by LamarMatic7 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:57 pm

Here's an article by RealGM on Stephenson choosing us over Indy:
http://basketball.realgm.com/article/23 ... or-Hornets

What I found the most interesting was:

Everyone will wait for the next outburst, Jordan told Stephenson, but controlled emotion is key to competition. Now, Stephenson knows cameras will heighten on him for soundbites and endless highlight scrolls come postseason in Charlotte. This is why he spent part of the summer receiving training and guidance from his representatives on ways to handle being the player sent to the press conference room after a playoff game, ways to win over an interview in victory or defeat.
Snidely FC
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,141

Post#174 » by Snidely FC » Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:34 pm

mrknowitall215 wrote:Interesting tidbit, Lance Stephenson only finished 19% of Indiana’s possessions last year and through four preseason games he’s only finished 20% of Charlotte’s. How much more usage should we expect from Stephenson in order for him to be as successful as his expectations? Keep in mind that volume scoring shooting guards (i.e. James Harden, DeMar DeRozan) usually have a usage percentage of at least 28% while perimeter-oriented scoring shooting guards (i.e. Klay Thompson, Bradley Beal) usually hover around 24% usage

Lance is a different type of player than I expected, which the low usage # corroborates. I thought we were getting more of a scorer. You can see he likes to make plays and play D, but while he seems stronger at taking the ball to the hoop than Hendo, he doesn't necessarily look like a better shooter. That being said, there was a five minute period in the Chicago game where we got a glimpse of how good this team can look with MKG and Lance firing on all cyinders at the same time. Fierce defense and fast breaking. The question is how does the team move away from the slower Alfense to that more frenetic athleticism? Does Lance, as well as MKG, get unleashed?
mrknowitall215
RealGM

Post#175 » by mrknowitall215 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:48 pm

Snidely FC wrote:
mrknowitall215 wrote:Interesting tidbit, Lance Stephenson only finished 19% of Indiana’s possessions last year and through four preseason games he’s only finished 20% of Charlotte’s. How much more usage should we expect from Stephenson in order for him to be as successful as his expectations? Keep in mind that volume scoring shooting guards (i.e. James Harden, DeMar DeRozan) usually have a usage percentage of at least 28% while perimeter-oriented scoring shooting guards (i.e. Klay Thompson, Bradley Beal) usually hover around 24% usage

Lance is a different type of player than I expected, which the low usage # corroborates. I guess I thought we were getting more of a scorer. You can see he likes to make plays and play D, but while he seems stronger at taking the ball to the hoop than Hendo, he doesn't necessarily look like a better shooter. That being said, there was a five minute period in the Chicago game where we got a glimpse of how good this team can look with MKG and Lance firing on all cyinders at the same time. Fierce defense and fast breaking. The question is how does the team move away from the slower Alfense to that more frenetic athleticism? Does Lance, as well as MKG, get unleashed?

I think the Kemba-Lance-MKG trio themselves could enforce a faster pace despite Alfense but most of that would essentially hinge on steals & long rebounds. A faster tempo has to be taught through practice & repetition of implementing the importance of outlet passes from the bigs immediately after a change of possession, and I haven't seen much of that from the few preseason games I've seen
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,536

Post#176 » by HornetJail » Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:41 pm

Snidely FC wrote:

Lance is a different type of player than I expected, which the low usage # corroborates. I thought we were getting more of a scorer. You can see he likes to make plays and play D, but while he seems stronger at taking the ball to the hoop than Hendo, he doesn't necessarily look like a better shooter. That being said, there was a five minute period in the Chicago game where we got a glimpse of how good this team can look with MKG and Lance firing on all cyinders at the same time. Fierce defense and fast breaking. The question is how does the team move away from the slower Alfense to that more frenetic athleticism? Does Lance, as well as MKG, get unleashed?

I don't want to wish anything bad on Al, because we certainly need him for offense, but I'd really like to see a lineup of Biz/[Zeller or Vonleh]/MKG/Lance/Kemba playing major minutes together for a meaningful amount of time. We would be one of the fastest teams in the league without a doubt.
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
Snidely FC
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,141

Post#177 » by Snidely FC » Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:20 pm

Lance had me saying "He's horrible" in the first half of last night's game. Not just the ice cold shooting but the Pouting. Kemba among others had to tell him to Buck up.

But the ability to impose one's will on the game is what separates the stars from the talented players in this league, and I thought that in the second half Lance imposed his will on the game in a way that changed the tenor of the game and made the comeback a reality.

Coach needs to figure out how to unleash that Lance-MKG Will To Power Double-Trouble Tag Team without leaving the Alfense in the dust.
TheKingofSting
RealGM

Post#178 » by TheKingofSting » Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:04 pm

I left the game thinking Lance had a horrible game and then I get in the car and check the box score and he has 13 rebounds and 8 assists. That is just how many ways he can impact a game. If Hendo only had 7 points he would have one or two rebounds and probably no assists. So whether he is still hurt was cramping or whatever, I am glad he is on our team.

yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#179 » by yosemiteben » Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:11 pm

mrknowitall215 wrote:How much more usage should we expect from Stephenson in order for him to be as successful as his expectations?

I don't think usage is the right metric by which to gauge his success. He's being brought in to help facilitate a more dynamic offense, not just to be a scorer. I think he is a success if our play improves as a result of his contribution.

I mean Clifford himself warned people not to expect him to put up big scoring numbers.
TheKingofSting
RealGM

Post#180 » by TheKingofSting » Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:36 pm

Lance just didn't have it with his moves last night, whether it was the groin or what even when he was shaking people out of their shoes he just looked uncomfortable.

Return to Charlotte Hornets