ImageImage

BEElieve In Asheville -> D-League in Asheville, NC

Moderators: JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben, BigSlam

Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,045

Re: BEElieve In Asheville -> D-League in Asheville, NC 

Post#21 » by Liver_Pooty » Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:49 am

On the news tonight the Hornets said they have no plans for a d league team, at all. It just isnt going to happen, not anytime soon anyway. No money to be made off of it. Definitely not in Asheville anyway
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
TheKingofSting
RealGM
And1: 2,163

Post#22 » by TheKingofSting » Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:36 am

They should put it in South Carolina (maybe Greenville) to strengthen the fan base from SC.
President of the Quinn Cook Fan Club

Bradley Beal has D Wade potential
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,613

Post#23 » by fatlever » Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:52 am

Liver_Pooty wrote:Asheville is a horrible city to live in. They dont promote or do anything unless it revolves around drinking beer and festival type ordeals.

good point. instead of advertising basketball they can have bi-weekly craft beer festivals at the civic center. admission is 10 bucks. in the concourse there are bluegrass bands every 100 feet, with arts and craft stands located in the bathrooms. at halftime they give away vintage vinyl records... oh, and they can play a basketball game in the background.

boom!
Eoghan
RealGM
And1: 3,293

Post#24 » by Eoghan » Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:07 pm

If we ever do get a D-League team, I demand that FarmersOnly.com get the arena naming rights.
LofJ
RealGM
And1: 10,509

Post#25 » by LofJ » Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:14 pm

Liver_Pooty wrote:On the news tonight the Hornets said they have no plans for a d league team, at all. It just isnt going to happen, not anytime soon anyway. No money to be made off of it. Definitely not in Asheville anyway

That's a shame, you have to spend money to make money. If NBA owners don't want to invest money into the D-League it'll never grow to the point it needs to in order to turn a profit.
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,634

Post#26 » by yosemiteben » Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:16 pm

Liver_Pooty wrote:Asheville is a horrible city to live in. They dont promote or do anything unless it revolves around drinking beer and festival type ordeals.

Sounds like a great place to me!
Robot Rock
Starter
And1: 939

Post#27 » by Robot Rock » Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:08 pm

The Myrtle Beach...Bobcats.
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,634

Post#28 » by yosemiteben » Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:32 pm

Robot Rock wrote:The Myrtle Beach...Bobcats.

:lol:

It would be pretty hilarious if they stuck a D league team with the Bobcats name.
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,532

Post#29 » by HornetJail » Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:16 pm

TheKingofSting wrote:They should put it in South Carolina (maybe Greenville) to strengthen the fan base from SC.

I'm moving from Columbia back to Charlotte in a couple weeks. I think it would be hilarious if they announced plans to bring a D-League team in Columbia right after I move :lol:

Sadly I think I know more Hornets fans in Columbia than I do in Charlotte itself. Most of my Charlotte friends are Boston, LA, Chicago, or Miami/Cleveland fans.
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
HornetJail
RealGM

Post#30 » by HornetJail » Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:16 pm

Robot Rock wrote:The Myrtle Beach...Bobcats.

I think that would stick actually. :lol:

Once a D-League caliber team, always a D-League caliber team.
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
duke11693
Freshman
And1: 12

Post#31 » by duke11693 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:01 am

TheKingofSting wrote:They should put it in South Carolina (maybe Greenville) to strengthen the fan base from SC.

Greenville actually use to have a team. They were called the Greenville Groove and they folded after two seasons, despite winning the title after their first. Charleston had a team too, but they moved to Fort Myers.
duke11693
Freshman
And1: 12

Post#32 » by duke11693 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:05 am

LofJ wrote:Asheville and Wilmington are awesome towns, but they're both too small for a d league team. MJ would be better off putting a team in Greensboro, Raleigh/Durham, or Hampton Roads.

I think Wilmington could be a great spot for a D-League team if they ever get a NBDL quality venue. Great basketball town with an obvious basketball history and connection to the Hornets. The UNCW Seahawks used to pack 5,000+ inside Trask Coliseum every night when they were good. Even now that they suck they still get close to 3,000 a game, which is above the D-League average.
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 43,038

Post#33 » by JDR720 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:05 am

Just make the basketball court on the Biltmore House front lawn in Ashville
TheKingofSting
RealGM
And1: 2,163

Post#34 » by TheKingofSting » Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:56 am

duke11693 wrote:

Greenville actually use to have a team. They were called the Greenville Groove and they folded after two seasons, despite winning the title after their first. Charleston had a team too, but they moved to Fort Myers.

I remember that now,man that brings back memories and makes me feel old.
President of the Quinn Cook Fan Club

Bradley Beal has D Wade potential
Snidely FC
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,137

Post#35 » by Snidely FC » Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:34 am

So OKC instead of paying Josh Heustis their 1st rd pick this year his guaranteed salary are paying him $25K to play with their DLeague team. A domestic draft and stash. The sort of thing we've been talking about in this thread, not something the Hornets could pull off. This figures to start to alter the NBA-DLeague dynamic going forward. http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_ ... estic-pick

Plenty of first-round picks have opted not to sign their first-round deals. In all of those cases, though, they were international draft-and-stash moves, like Serge Ibaka, who stayed an extra season in Spain after being taken 24th overall. The difference between those type of moves and Huestis is that an international player is still making a hefty salary, certainly more than a D-Leaguer's $25,000 a year.

The real issue here isn't with the Thunder or Huestis, it's with the D-League-NBA relationship. The league desperately wants to grow its developmental ground, but with a lot of teams not owning their own affiliates outright and having a one-to-one relationship, there's not enough synergy or continuity.
HornetJail
RealGM

Post#36 » by HornetJail » Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:31 pm

Snidely FC wrote:So OKC instead of paying Josh Heustis their 1st rd pick this year his guaranteed salary are paying him $25K to play with their DLeague team. A domestic draft and stash. The sort of thing we've been talking about in this thread, not something the Hornets could pull off. This figures to start to alter the NBA-DLeague dynamic going forward. http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_ ... estic-pick

Plenty of first-round picks have opted not to sign their first-round deals. In all of those cases, though, they were international draft-and-stash moves, like Serge Ibaka, who stayed an extra season in Spain after being taken 24th overall. The difference between those type of moves and Huestis is that an international player is still making a hefty salary, certainly more than a D-Leaguer's $25,000 a year.

The real issue here isn't with the Thunder or Huestis, it's with the D-League-NBA relationship. The league desperately wants to grow its developmental ground, but with a lot of teams not owning their own affiliates outright and having a one-to-one relationship, there's not enough synergy or continuity.

I don't think this changes much. I think Huestis just sucks and OKC doesn't expect him to be ready at all this year.

Wouldn't it be in Huestis's best interest to go overseas though?
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR

Return to Charlotte Hornets