Eoghan
RealGM
And1: 3,293

Re: Hornets Are Not Going To Tank 

Post#101 » by Eoghan » Wed Jan 7, 2015 6:06 am

Liver_Pooty wrote:
BrotherDave wrote:
Liver_Pooty wrote:
Just admit that Biyombo isn't the player you thought he would be. You've been all over his sack for years.

Edit: Hell, I basically sucked him off his first two years, but I stopped afterwards.

He is the player I thought he would be, a super raw on offense African big man that got a decent coaching staff last year. I haven't been on his sack, I've been his apologist for people irrationally wanting him to be Mutombo or Hakeem sooner than later.

So being his "apologist" what did you expect him to be his 4th year? Almost the same as his rookie year? He was actually more impressive his rookie year.

He's much better now than his first year. His first year just looks better because the volume of minutes he played provided more flashes of potential. Biz in his first two years couldn't box out Stephen Hawking or set a pick without running people over, plus all the freaking offensive interferences.
Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,053

Post#102 » by Liver_Pooty » Wed Jan 7, 2015 6:11 am

BrotherDave wrote:
Liver_Pooty wrote:
BrotherDave wrote:He is the player I thought he would be, a super raw on offense African big man that got a decent coaching staff last year. I haven't been on his sack, I've been his apologist for people irrationally wanting him to be Mutombo or Hakeem sooner than later.

So being his "apologist" what did you expect him to be his 4th year? Almost the same as his rookie year? He was actually more impressive his rookie year.

He's much better now than his first year. His first year just looks better because the volume of minutes he played provided more flashes of potential. Biz in his first two years couldn't box out Stephen Hawking or set a pick without running people over, plus all the freaking offensive interferences.

But, did you think Biyombo would be the player he is right now 3 years ago? I certainly didn't. Im pretty sure a majority of the posters on here didn't.
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
catch20two
RealGM
And1: 4,666

Post#103 » by catch20two » Wed Jan 7, 2015 8:04 am

JDR720 wrote:I still think we need another core piece or two (namely a #1 scorer), so do we try for those pieces now or later when the current tankers shift into "win now" mode and there is a new group of tankers.

Well we just ruined our flexibility by guaranteeing Maxiell. Good luck making any trade at all by the deadline.
They will wage war against the Lamb but the Lamb will triumph them because he is Lord of lords and King of kings - and with him will be his called, chosen and faithful followers." Revelation 17:14 (NIV)
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 43,091

Post#104 » by JDR720 » Wed Jan 7, 2015 9:35 am

catch20two wrote:
JDR720 wrote:I still think we need another core piece or two (namely a #1 scorer), so do we try for those pieces now or later when the current tankers shift into "win now" mode and there is a new group of tankers.

Well we just ruined our flexibility by guaranteeing Maxiell. Good luck making any trade at all by the deadline.

How does doing that affect us getting another core piece, obviously we aren't trading for one.
Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,053

Post#105 » by Liver_Pooty » Wed Jan 7, 2015 10:08 am

JDR720 wrote:
catch20two wrote:

How does doing that affect us getting another core piece, obviously we aren't trading for one.

It doesn't.
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 43,091

Post#106 » by JDR720 » Wed Jan 7, 2015 10:12 am

catch20two
RealGM

Post#107 » by catch20two » Wed Jan 7, 2015 3:36 pm

JDR720 wrote:
catch20two wrote:

We should be trading for someone.
They will wage war against the Lamb but the Lamb will triumph them because he is Lord of lords and King of kings - and with him will be his called, chosen and faithful followers." Revelation 17:14 (NIV)
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,649

Post#108 » by yosemiteben » Wed Jan 7, 2015 3:58 pm

catch20two wrote:
JDR720 wrote:
catch20two wrote:Well we just ruined our flexibility by guaranteeing Maxiell. Good luck making any trade at all by the deadline.

And guaranteeing Max prevents us from doing that how?
catch20two
RealGM

Post#109 » by catch20two » Wed Jan 7, 2015 4:15 pm

yosemiteben wrote:
catch20two wrote:
JDR720 wrote:How does doing that affect us getting another core piece, obviously we aren't trading for one.

Because now we can't trade him to a team that'll just waive him since his contract is guaranteed. Our flexibility is in shambles because all of our contracts are guaranteed with players other teams don't want like Jeff Taylor and Maxiell.
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#110 » by yosemiteben » Wed Jan 7, 2015 6:07 pm

catch20two wrote:
yosemiteben wrote:
catch20two wrote:We should be trading for someone.

Because now we can't trade him to a team that'll just waive him since his contract is guaranteed. Our flexibility is in shambles because all of our contracts are guaranteed with players other teams don't want like Jeff Taylor and Maxiell.

Two $1M expiring contracts can't be traded? That's enough to prevent us from doing a trade? Not sure if you're serious. They can just buy them out if they don't want them on their bench.
BeesWax
General Manager
And1: 1,660

Post#111 » by BeesWax » Wed Jan 7, 2015 6:14 pm

yosemiteben wrote:
catch20two wrote:
yosemiteben wrote:And guaranteeing Max prevents us from doing that how?

Two $1M expiring contracts can't be traded? That's enough to prevent us from doing a trade? Not sure if you're serious. They can just buy them out if they don't want them on their bench.

Teams already at 15 players would have to cut one of there own players if the trade is not even in numbers. Then they would have to cut and pay Max then sign someone else if they did not want to waste a spot. It does not make it impossible to move or trade but there was a benefit that is no longer there now.
Spoiler:
mrknowitall215
RealGM
And1: 2,384

Post#112 » by mrknowitall215 » Wed Jan 7, 2015 6:27 pm

jdm3 wrote:
yosemiteben wrote:
catch20two wrote:Because now we can't trade him to a team that'll just waive him since his contract is guaranteed. Our flexibility is in shambles because all of our contracts are guaranteed with players other teams don't want like Jeff Taylor and Maxiell.

Teams already at 15 players would have to cut one of there own players if the trade is not even in numbers. Then they would have to cut and pay Max then sign someone else if they did not want to waste a spot. It does not make it impossible to move or trade but there was a benefit that is no longer there now.

Now our best trade chip is probably Gary Neal, and he's putting up worst production/efficiency right now for us than he did when the Bucks were desperate to get rid of him last year
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#113 » by yosemiteben » Wed Jan 7, 2015 6:35 pm

jdm3 wrote:
yosemiteben wrote:
catch20two wrote:Because now we can't trade him to a team that'll just waive him since his contract is guaranteed. Our flexibility is in shambles because all of our contracts are guaranteed with players other teams don't want like Jeff Taylor and Maxiell.

I thought they could just buy out Max as part of the trade even if you don't have an open roster spot. Is that not allowed? Didn't know you had to have the spot and then buy him out.
BeesWax
General Manager

Post#114 » by BeesWax » Wed Jan 7, 2015 6:42 pm

yosemiteben wrote:
jdm3 wrote:
yosemiteben wrote:Two $1M expiring contracts can't be traded? That's enough to prevent us from doing a trade? Not sure if you're serious. They can just buy them out if they don't want them on their bench.

I thought they could just buy out Max as part of the trade even if you don't have an open roster spot. Is that not allowed? Didn't know you had to have the spot and then buy him out.

I do not think so. I believe you have to have room to accept them on the roster first then cut them. So if we trade 2 for 1 they have to cut one of their own players to put Max on the roster then cut Max and then try to get someone to fill that spot. So that trade makes them pay three players for one roster spot. Likely all are min type players but still a pain.
Spoiler:
BeesWax
General Manager

Post#115 » by BeesWax » Wed Jan 7, 2015 6:45 pm

Don't get me wrong they would always have had to cut someone to make the trade but the benefit would have been they did not have to pay Maxiell once they cut him. So you are only paying two players or you could keep a slot open for another trade.
Spoiler:
Braggins
RealGM
And1: 8,146

Post#116 » by Braggins » Wed Jan 7, 2015 11:51 pm

So did we guarantee Max or not? I thought his contract didn't become guaranteed until the 10th.
BlackOutBuzz
Hornets Forum Capologist
And1: 2,970

Re: Re: Hornets Are Not Going To Tank 

Post#117 » by BlackOutBuzz » Thu Jan 8, 2015 1:05 am

Braggins wrote:So did we guarantee Max or not? I thought his contract didn't become guaranteed until the 10th.

We've stated that we will, but it doesn't officially happen until Saturday.
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#118 » by yosemiteben » Thu Jan 8, 2015 1:10 am

BlackOutBuzz wrote:
Braggins wrote:So did we guarantee Max or not? I thought his contract didn't become guaranteed until the 10th.

The realgm wiretap technically just quoted a generic "league sources." Would we have to tell the league office either way?

Would be kind of amusing if this was just realgm trying to break a story that turned out wrong and all this whining was for nothing.
Braggins
RealGM
And1: 8,146

Post#119 » by Braggins » Thu Jan 8, 2015 1:14 am

Nice, I dont think that means we wont explore trading him before then.
BlackOutBuzz
Hornets Forum Capologist
And1: 2,970

Post#120 » by BlackOutBuzz » Thu Jan 8, 2015 2:01 am

yosemiteben wrote:
BlackOutBuzz wrote:

The realgm wiretap technically just quoted a generic "league sources." Would we have to tell the league office either way?

Would be kind of amusing if this was just realgm trying to break a story that turned out wrong and all this whining was for nothing.

I can't say for certain, but I don't think we have to report anything. It's just if he's still here on the 10th then he becomes guaranteed.
Hornets Picks by Year
2021: Bouknight, Jones, Thor, Lewis

Protection on future 1st* (to NYK); 2nds
2022: 1-18; CHA (31-55), TOR 2 (55-60)
2023: 1-16; BOS (GH)
2024: 1-14; BOS (GH)
2025: 1-14; CHA (31-55)
*Becomes two 2nds if unconveyed

Return to Charlotte Hornets