ImageImage

Fried Chicken and Bonghits: The Al Jefferson Thread 2.0

Moderators: JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben, BigSlam

Braggins
RealGM
And1: 8,146

Re: Fat Albatross: The Al Jefferson Thread 2.0 

Post#281 » by Braggins » Sun Jun 14, 2015 1:22 pm

stinger14 wrote:If Brook Lopez leaves Brooklyn, what about Al and Lance for Joe Johnson

Id try to get them to part with Plumlee too.
Elden Payton
RealGM
And1: 2,591

Post#282 » by Elden Payton » Sun Jun 14, 2015 1:43 pm

Al+Lance+Roberts

for

Johnson+Plumlee

Re-sign Al's BFF Mo.

Re-sign Biz

Hendo might opt in for the bigger payday in 2016.

Kemba/Mo/(Cam Payne?)
J.Johnson/Henderson/Daniels (Hairston)
Gilchrist/J.Johnson/Hairston
Zeller/Vonleh/Plumlee
Biyombo/Plumlee Vonleh

Lock for playoffs health permitting.
Soul Rebel
Senior
And1: 372

Post#283 » by Soul Rebel » Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:39 pm

Any chance NYK would be a viable trade partner? They need a center, but not sure if Big Al would fit the triangle necessarily.....not really sure how that system works. Maybe Al + 9 + future 1st (protected) for Calderon + 4?
Radu_Hornets
Rookie
And1: 325

Post#284 » by Radu_Hornets » Sun Jun 14, 2015 3:26 pm

Please let Clifford learn from Steve Kerr...
And treat Al Jefferson just as Kerr treated David Lee (15M this season). If there is somebody outperforming jefferson, that guy should play and jefferson should hit the bench.
SWedd523
RealGM
And1: 5,166

Post#285 » by SWedd523 » Sun Jun 14, 2015 4:03 pm

I hope I'm not the only one not at all willing to trade for Joe Johnson
catch20two
RealGM
And1: 4,666

Post#286 » by catch20two » Sun Jun 14, 2015 5:43 pm

fatlever wrote:
Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine 1m1 minute ago
It's official: With Monday deadline looming, Hornets' Al Jefferson is bypassing free agency for a year. ESPN link: http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/13074 ... n-contract …

no surprise al opting in.

Hendo is next. Opt-in specials. Nobody gonna pay more for our garbage than us. It's a issue.
They will wage war against the Lamb but the Lamb will triumph them because he is Lord of lords and King of kings - and with him will be his called, chosen and faithful followers." Revelation 17:14 (NIV)
Flip Murray
Hornets Forum Spelling Bee
And1: 1,987

Post#287 » by Flip Murray » Sun Jun 14, 2015 10:32 pm

SWedd523 wrote:I hope I'm not the only one not at all willing to trade for Joe Johnson

i mean he's just a huge expiring. it wouldn't be some kind of disaster deal
stinger14
Starter
And1: 768

Post#288 » by stinger14 » Sun Jun 14, 2015 10:33 pm

Braggins wrote:
stinger14 wrote:If Brook Lopez leaves Brooklyn, what about Al and Lance for Joe Johnson

Id try to get them to part with Plumlee too.

Would be great
Elden Payton
RealGM
And1: 2,591

Post#289 » by Elden Payton » Sun Jun 14, 2015 10:42 pm

Flip Murray wrote:
SWedd523 wrote:I hope I'm not the only one not at all willing to trade for Joe Johnson

It's a great consolidation trade.

Getting rid of a few players we don't want or need for a former 5 time all star, who's biggest skill is the one thing we lack.

He's a good playmaker which we need next to Kemba and he would provide a post option also.

Combined with the fact that we wouldn't be taking on salary and opening up a couple of roster spots, it's a certified no brainer imo.

I'd do the trade without Plumlee, but we're talking about Billy freaking King here, we should ask for the farm.
stinger14
Starter

Post#290 » by stinger14 » Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:05 pm

Sik Infant wrote:
Flip Murray wrote:

It's a great consolidation trade.

Getting rid of a few players we don't want or need for a former 5 time all star, who's biggest skill is the one thing we lack.

He's a good playmaker which we need next to Kemba and he would provide a post option also.

Combined with the fact that we wouldn't be taking on salary and opening up a couple of roster spots, it's a certified no brainer imo.

I'd do the trade without Plumlee, but we're talking about Billy freaking King here, we should ask for the farm.

Great post, this was my thinking too
SWedd523
RealGM

Post#291 » by SWedd523 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 12:01 am

Flip Murray wrote:

What exactly is Al, if not a huge expiring?

And Joe is even MORE over the hill than Al. I'm not convinced he can replicate a semi motivated Lance, much less do that AND cover the loss of our only NBA caliber big man.

I also don't understand what difference it makes if he was a former 5 time all star. I care about what guys will do next year. He just averaged the fewest points in over a decade (with a steady yearly decline for some time now), posted a PER slightly worse than Bismack Biyombo's, and averaged less assists per game than Stephenson did (only one more per than Hendo). This isn't allstar Joe. This is a guy clearly on his last legs.

His production can be covered by Hendo and our rookie wing. Add in a slightly motivated Lance and there's no reason to trade for him. It gets even worse when to lose Al, and leave our big man rotation at Marvin/Zeller/Vonleh/Bismack with little to no salary cap to supplement.

That front court isn't winning anytime soon. You'd be better off keeping Al and adding another guard through the draft. Sure, you might be able to add Plumlee in that deal, but he's not moving the needle much either.
Flip Murray

Post#292 » by Flip Murray » Mon Jun 15, 2015 12:04 am

SWedd523 wrote:
Flip Murray wrote:

What exactly is Al, if not a huge expiring?

And Joe is even MORE over the hill than Al. I'm not convinced he can replicate a semi motivated Lance, much less do that AND cover the loss of our only NBA caliber big man.

I also don't understand what difference it makes if he was a former 5 time all star. I care about what guys will do next year. He just averaged the fewest points in over a decade (with a steady yearly decline for some time now), posted a PER slightly worse than Bismack Biyombo's, and averaged less assists per game than Stephenson did (only one more per than Hendo). This isn't allstar Joe. This is a guy clearly on his last legs.

His production can be covered by Hendo and our rookie wing. Add in a slightly motivated Lance and there's no reason to trade for him. It gets even worse when to lose Al, and leave our big man rotation at Marvin/Zeller/Vonleh/Bismack with little to no salary cap to supplement.

That front court isn't winning anytime soon. You'd be better off keeping Al and adding another guard through the draft. Sure, you might be able to add Plumlee in that deal, but he's not moving the needle much either.

you have to guard joe johnson. as such he's instantly our best SG.
SWedd523
RealGM

Post#293 » by SWedd523 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 12:08 am

I don't think many teams are very scared of a 34 year old Joe Johnson coming off his worst season since Bush was in office. Especially when you lose the only big on the roster who has to be guarded (and who was more productive than JJ last year).
Flip Murray

Post#294 » by Flip Murray » Mon Jun 15, 2015 12:11 am

SWedd523 wrote:I don't think many teams are very scared of a 34 year old Joe Johnson coming off his worst season since Bush was in office. Especially when you lose the only big on the roster who has to be guarded (and who was more productive than JJ last year).

they're more scared of him than gerald henderson, lance stephenson, and pj hairston i guarantee you that.
SWedd523
RealGM

Post#295 » by SWedd523 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 12:14 am

Flip Murray wrote:
SWedd523 wrote:I don't think many teams are very scared of a 34 year old Joe Johnson coming off his worst season since Bush was in office. Especially when you lose the only big on the roster who has to be guarded (and who was more productive than JJ last year).

they're more scared of him than gerald henderson, lance stephenson, and pj hairston i guarantee you that.

I don't think I ever disagreed with that.

The offensive drop off from Johnson to Hendo is much smaller than Jefferson to Bismack. Joe ain't making up that difference. I guarantee you that
Flip Murray

Post#296 » by Flip Murray » Mon Jun 15, 2015 12:18 am

SWedd523 wrote:
Flip Murray wrote:

The offensive drop off from Johnson to Hendo is much smaller than Jefferson to Bismack. Joe ain't making up that difference. I guarantee you that

fair enough sorry i guess i didn't read your post closely enough. its not about joe johnson v. henderson and al v. biyombo for me. for me its about the fact that i don't think al fits with what the team's philosophy should be going forward. We should be young, athletic, fast, and good at defending at the very least. he isn't any of those things. Now maybe he comes back in phenomenal shape and makes me eat my words. I hope he does.

I'm not saying Joe johnson is the answer I just think he's a better one year stopgap than al. clifford uses al as a crutch and it didn't work last year. It might be time to take away his crutch. He's slowed us down and played terrible defense, which goes against everything the rest of the roster looks like it is built for.
BlackOutBuzz
Hornets Forum Capologist
And1: 2,970

Post#297 » by BlackOutBuzz » Mon Jun 15, 2015 12:23 am

Can we have two threads titled "We are stuck with him"?
stinger14
Starter

Post#298 » by stinger14 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:50 am

SWedd523 wrote:
Flip Murray wrote:

Maybe not, but JJ's offense combined with the points saved from the much better rebounding, defense, and rim protection from Biz will more than make up for it
DY_nasty
General Manager
And1: 4,946

Post#299 » by DY_nasty » Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:26 am

Contract year Al is gonna solid. And a lot of people are gonna fall in love with him all over again.

Just as long as we don't re-sign him... fine
Vanderbilt_Grad
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,771

Post#300 » by Vanderbilt_Grad » Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:44 am

I'm not sure that everyone was "in love" with 2013-2014 Al. He just played better than we expected and folks were happy the team was winning for a change.

My personal opinion was that last year had a lot to do with injury for Al and that kept him from ever really getting going. Even the "out of shape coming into camp" was impacted by the injury at the end of the 2014 playoff attempt.

Next season I do expect a more in shape Al and fewer injuries ... but I also think that he's not going to hit 2013-2014 form. I think that he's on the downside now sadly for both him and us.
My picks:
2020 Draft (3rd pick) - Tyrese Haliburton, Devin Vassell, or Onyeka Okongwu
2021 Draft (11th pick) - Moses Moody

Return to Charlotte Hornets