ImageImage

New starting line-up?

Moderators: JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben, BigSlam

Hornet Mania
General Manager
And1: 7,396

Re: New starting line-up? 

Post#21 » by Hornet Mania » Sat Jun 27, 2015 5:39 pm

Zeller absolutely has to start at first, at least until/if Kaminsky can prove that he and Al together won't just be a layup drill.
catch20two
RealGM
And1: 4,666

Post#22 » by catch20two » Sat Jun 27, 2015 5:50 pm

Hornet Mania wrote:Zeller absolutely has to start at first, at least until/if Kaminsky can prove that he and Al together won't just be a layup drill.

Zeller is prolly gonna miss part of training camp and I feel the same way about Zeller not starting where my view is that Kaminsky has to start until Zeller prove that he and Al don't stunt our offense on the floor together. Kaminsky is help our offense a ton playing off Kemba in the pick and pop if he don't come in with the rookie jitters.
They will wage war against the Lamb but the Lamb will triumph them because he is Lord of lords and King of kings - and with him will be his called, chosen and faithful followers." Revelation 17:14 (NIV)
Joest2003
Analyst
And1: 1,234

Post#23 » by Joest2003 » Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:36 pm

I thought Batum is a 3 not a 2
catch20two
RealGM

Post#24 » by catch20two » Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:42 pm

Joest2003 wrote:I thought Batum is a 3 not a 2

Only in their remote universe is Batum a 2 when he always played 3 and small ball 4. I don't like it but at least Batum can and will make 3s so it makes for better than Hendo. Hopefully he don't get hurt playing Eurobasket this summer.
They will wage war against the Lamb but the Lamb will triumph them because he is Lord of lords and King of kings - and with him will be his called, chosen and faithful followers." Revelation 17:14 (NIV)
Makaveli92
Senior
And1: 90

Post#25 » by Makaveli92 » Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:50 pm

Kemba / Mo Williams (re sign) / Roberts
Batum / Lamb / Hairston
MKG / Williams / Taylor
Kaminsky / Zeller
All / Hawes
MasterIchiro
RealGM
And1: 5,340

Post#26 » by MasterIchiro » Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:33 pm

Starting lineup to start the year will be different than the one to end it.

Beginning

Kemba Walker
Nicolas Batum
Michael Kidd-Gilchrist
Cody Zeller
Al Jefferson

This intro lineup will still have spacing issues with MKG and Cody in the starting lineup. 2 starting positions and 1 three-pointer between them last season. 3-pt shooting killed us and that will impact the combinations Clifford uses and the ones that work.

End

Kemba Walker
Jeremy Lamb
Nicolas Batum
Frank Kaminsky
Cody Zeller

Essentially Cliff will settle on a small ball lineup that features our best shooters at every position. Lamb replaces MKG. Kaminsky replaces Al.

As for the bench, I think Hawes remains to keep the offense in tact if Al goes down. I think Biz is the odd man out. I think PJ and Daniels are buried on the bench. Lamb neutralizes them. I think Marvin will be dealt. He's an expiring. We should be able to get a backup PG on a longer contract like Jack.
It has been written...
Hornet Mania
General Manager
And1: 7,396

Post#27 » by Hornet Mania » Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:46 pm

catch20two wrote:
Hornet Mania wrote:Zeller absolutely has to start at first, at least until/if Kaminsky can prove that he and Al together won't just be a layup drill.

Zeller is prolly gonna miss part of training camp and I feel the same way about Zeller not starting where my view is that Kaminsky has to start until Zeller prove that he and Al don't stunt our offense on the floor together. Kaminsky is help our offense a ton playing off Kemba in the pick and pop if he don't come in with the rookie jitters.

Dang, I hadn't heard anything about Zeller not being ready for camp. That is terrible news. The main thing that concerns me about the Jefferson/Kaminsky tandem is that Kaminsky will have to guard guys who are a lot quicker than anyone he checked in college. Just in our division alone Miami starts Bosh at PF, Orlando is probably running with either Frye or Gordon, Atlanta's situation is up in the air but you have to figure they'll try to retain Millsap, I think all those guys will be a very awkward cover for the rookie. That adjustment, if he can even make it (I think he's much more a C than a PF, but time will tell), is going to be rough at first.

I'd much rather Zeller start at first and then sprinkle Kaminsky in with the starters during the first couple months to see how he holds up. If he can credibly guard 4s and is actually bringing the offense Cliff seems to expect then move him up to the front of the lineup. Obviously if Zeller is out for camp and gimpy to start the season then that plan goes out the window. Kaminsky will probably be no worse on D than Spencer Hawes anyway if that's what the choice comes down to.
catch20two
RealGM

Post#28 » by catch20two » Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:55 pm

Hornet Mania wrote:
catch20two wrote:

Dang, I hadn't heard anything about Zeller not being ready for camp. That is terrible news. The main thing that concerns me about the Jefferson/Kaminsky tandem is that Kaminsky will have to guard guys who are a lot quicker than anyone he checked in college. Just in our division alone Miami starts Bosh at PF, Orlando is probably running with either Frye or Gordon, Atlanta's situation is up in the air but you have to figure they'll try to retain Millsap, I think all those guys will be a very awkward cover for the rookie. That adjustment, if he can even make it (I think he's much more a C than a PF, but time will tell), is going to be rough at first.

I'd much rather Zeller start at first and then sprinkle Kaminsky in with the starters during the first couple months to see how he holds up. If he can credibly guard 4s and is actually bringing the offense Cliff seems to expect then move him up to the front of the lineup. Obviously if Zeller is out for camp and gimpy to start the season then that plan goes out the window. Kaminsky will probably be no worse on D than Spencer Hawes anyway if that's what the choice comes down to.

It's only blind speculation on my part that Zeller will miss any of training camp. He got surgery late April and they say it's gonna take only 3 months of rehabbing so he should be resuming basketball activities around August/September. It's just that I'm expecting him to take his time returning slowly from a torn rotator cuff but he might be ready. It just seem like the normal recovery time for that injury is 9 months instead of 3 months so we'll see.
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,649

New starting line-up? 

Post#29 » by yosemiteben » Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:59 pm

They said a couple weeks ago that he'd be cleared to start shooting by end of June and should be completely back up to speed by end of July.
catch20two
RealGM

Post#30 » by catch20two » Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:21 pm

yosemiteben wrote:They said a couple weeks ago that he'd be cleared to start shooting by end of June and should be completely back up to speed by end of July.

How come Kobe and Pacquaio are taking up to 9 months to recover from their torn rotator cuff but Zeller is ready in 2 months? Is he taking HGH or was it just a minor tear?
MasterIchiro
RealGM

Post#31 » by MasterIchiro » Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:41 pm

catch20two wrote:
yosemiteben wrote:They said a couple weeks ago that he'd be cleared to start shooting by end of June and should be completely back up to speed by end of July.

How come Kobe and Pacquaio are taking up to 9 months to recover from their torn rotator cuff but Zeller is ready in 2 months? Is he taking HGH or was it just a minor tear?

I pray Cody's taking HgH.
It has been written...
MasterIchiro
RealGM

Post#32 » by MasterIchiro » Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:43 pm

He is a 3 and because of Lamb getting minutes at SG, we don't need a backup SF. Marv is completely dead weight in that regard. So not much has changed. I'm 100% positive he'll be moved and I wouldn't be surprised if there is a standing offer somewhere, like Jason Thompson or Jarrett Jack.
It has been written...
Vanderbilt_Grad
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,771

Post#33 » by Vanderbilt_Grad » Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:08 am

Honestly it wouldn't shock me if Batum eventually becomes the team's 6th man and Lamb starts ... not because Lamb is better, but because you can sub Batum in for SG, SF, or PF depending on the matchups or foul trouble. The main thing that worries me is Cliff's stubbornness and his fondness for 5 in - 5 out rotations form last year.
My picks:
2020 Draft (3rd pick) - Tyrese Haliburton, Devin Vassell, or Onyeka Okongwu
2021 Draft (11th pick) - Moses Moody
mrknowitall215
RealGM
And1: 2,384

Post#34 » by mrknowitall215 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:12 am

Clifford has major plans. He envisions the 6-foot-8 Batum, who will start at shooting guard, as a primary scoring option next season. Clifford imagines running offense through Batum similarly to how the Orlando Magic did with small forward Hedo Turkoglu when Clifford was an assistant there.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/nba/charlotte-hornets/article25668130.html#storylink=cpy

This quip left me with concern, but hopefully the journalist took Clifford's optimism out of context
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,649

Post#35 » by yosemiteben » Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:12 am

catch20two wrote:

Cause Kobe had no incentive to play and he's like 12 years older with a lot more wear and tear? Don't follow boxing so don't know.

I'm no medical expert, just repeating what Cody said during an interview. He said the doctors were surprised at how quickly he's healing.
catch20two
RealGM

Post#36 » by catch20two » Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:18 am

yosemiteben wrote:
catch20two wrote:

Cause Kobe had no incentive to play and he's like 12 years older with a lot more wear and tear? Don't follow boxing so don't know.

I'm no medical expert, just repeating what Cody said during an interview. He said the doctors were surprised at how quickly he's healing.

So that mean Cody has a little bit of Wolverine in him.
Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,050

Post#37 » by Liver_Pooty » Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:25 am

catch20two wrote:
yosemiteben wrote:
catch20two wrote:How come Kobe and Pacquaio are taking up to 9 months to recover from their torn rotator cuff but Zeller is ready in 2 months? Is he taking HGH or was it just a minor tear?

So that mean Cody has a little bit of Wolverine in him.

Zellers was 'only' a 80% tear, instead of a complete tear. Not sure if that has anything to do with it
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 17,814

Post#38 » by Diop » Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:37 am

mrknowitall215 wrote:

Clifford has major plans. He envisions the 6-foot-8 Batum, who will start at shooting guard, as a primary scoring option next season. Clifford imagines running offense through Batum similarly to how the Orlando Magic did with small forward Hedo Turkoglu when Clifford was an assistant there.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/nba/charlotte-hornets/article25668130.html#storylink=cpy

This quip left me with concern, but hopefully the journalist took Clifford's optimism out of context

Batum is pretty good play maker, I see him as being the player they wished Lance was.

I think their calling Batum Sg just because he can shoot and the casual fan might balk at MKG being called a shooting guard although I can see MKG defending the Sg a lot of the time
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 17,814

Post#39 » by Diop » Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:38 am

MasterIchiro wrote:

He is a 3 and because of Lamb getting minutes at SG, we don't need a backup SF. Marv is completely dead weight in that regard. So not much has changed. I'm 100% positive he'll be moved and I wouldn't be surprised if there is a standing offer somewhere, like Jason Thompson or Jarrett Jack.

I hope you're right about Marv, I didn't think he would have much value, I guess his expiring might help a little
KembaWalker
General Manager
And1: 10,574

Post#40 » by KembaWalker » Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:50 am

Makaveli92 wrote:Kemba / Mo Williams (re sign) / Roberts
Batum / Lamb / Hairston
MKG / Williams / Taylor
Kaminsky / Zeller
All / Hawes

this is exactly where I'm at

Return to Charlotte Hornets