Re: The Great Kemba vs Jeremy Lin Debate 

Post#161 » by Flip Murray » Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:57 pm

yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,634

Post#162 » by yosemiteben » Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:16 pm

TikiJJ wrote:I can certainly understand why a true Hornets fan would be offended by the newcomers that claim Lin should start or that he'll make Hornets so much better, when he hasn't even played a game in Hornets uniform. With that said, how many have actually outright said those things? Is it just me or have most posters been very reasonable and polite when making their points?

The whole premise of the thread is to invite a debate that was been settled by our coaching staff, FO, and Lin himself. The only counter to that settlement is apples-to-oranges statistical comparisons by fans that are unfamiliar with our team and system.

This thread was premature, and the poster who started it bailed on it from the start.
TikiJJ
Ballboy
And1: 3

Post#163 » by TikiJJ » Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:38 pm

yosemiteben wrote:
TikiJJ wrote:I can certainly understand why a true Hornets fan would be offended by the newcomers that claim Lin should start or that he'll make Hornets so much better, when he hasn't even played a game in Hornets uniform. With that said, how many have actually outright said those things? Is it just me or have most posters been very reasonable and polite when making their points?

The whole premise of the thread is to invite a debate that was been settled by our coaching staff, FO, and Lin himself. The only counter to that settlement is apples-to-oranges statistical comparisons by fans that are unfamiliar with our team and system.

This thread was premature, and the poster who started it bailed on it from the start.

Nobody on this board has the influence to change anything on the Hornets roster, playing time, or who the starters should be. If all of us are going to agree with every decision made by the coaching staff, FO, and Lin himself, then this board should be called a notice board and also have all posting privileges disabled, since we're all in agreement with every decision coming from the higher ups.

Both players have several years in the league under their belt, so their stats can be compared and their strengths and weaknesses can be discussed. It's not premature to have this conversation, because 'A' we won't be changing anything with our discussion now or during the season, and 'B' because it's only a fan discussion that's supposed to be entertaining.

All of us are here to partake in the fun of interesting discussions and reading different opinions others might have. Why is it so bad to have some fun? Why should everything be so serious when our discussions have absolutely no impact on how the team will be shaped when the season starts?
MeowsALot
Freshman
And1: 12

Post#164 » by MeowsALot » Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:54 pm

yosemiteben wrote:My biggest problem with the debate is you have Lin fans that have hardly watched any Bobcats / Hornets games talking about how Lin will be more productive or a better fit for the team. Stats from other teams aren't apples to apples comparisons because there are a lot of team specific issues here in Charlotte.

I would much rather get some actual data before engaging in a debate with folks who, regardless of where Lin, would start off by making the argument that he should start. This is especially so because the team, the FO, and Lin himself have tried to preempt the debate by saying he's not being brought in to be a starter.

agree with this 100%. lol all these lin fans coming in with stats, and numbers, without watching a single game of the Hornets. Pulling stats on Kemba vs Lin. ffs. I think it's okay to speculate, but some ppl are already claiming that Lin is going to become MJ's godson or something and become GOAT
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#165 » by yosemiteben » Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:54 pm

I'm not a mod and it's fine if people want to debate this, I don't have any say in that, I'm just stating my view that it's generally going to be (a) an uninformed debate given the lack of one side's understanding of our offensive and defensive systems and the apples-to-oranges statistical comparisons that are involved, and (b) generally between player supporters that both think their player is under-appreciated.
TikiJJ
Ballboy

Post#166 » by TikiJJ » Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:05 pm

yosemiteben wrote:I'm not a mod and it's fine if people want to debate this, I don't have any say in that, I'm just stating my view that it's generally going to be (a) an uninformed debate given the lack of one side's understanding of our offensive and defensive systems and the apples-to-oranges statistical comparisons that are involved, and (b) generally between player supporters that both think their player is under-appreciated.

I fully understand and appreciate where you're coming from, but this is a fan board, so some threads are going to be more of the informal type and some will have more serious tone to them. This thread is supposed to be speculative, so people can lay out the numbers that exist now and make arguments and counterarguments based on them. If people can take a moment and think that we are after all, only talking about a game, then it shouldn't have to be so serious and personal.
TikiJJ
Ballboy

Post#167 » by TikiJJ » Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:14 pm

MeowsALot wrote:
yosemiteben wrote:My biggest problem with the debate is you have Lin fans that have hardly watched any Bobcats / Hornets games talking about how Lin will be more productive or a better fit for the team. Stats from other teams aren't apples to apples comparisons because there are a lot of team specific issues here in Charlotte.

I would much rather get some actual data before engaging in a debate with folks who, regardless of where Lin, would start off by making the argument that he should start. This is especially so because the team, the FO, and Lin himself have tried to preempt the debate by saying he's not being brought in to be a starter.

agree with this 100%. lol all these lin fans coming in with stats, and numbers, without watching a single game of the Hornets. Pulling stats on Kemba vs Lin. ffs. I think it's okay to speculate, but some ppl are already claiming that Lin is going to become MJ's godson or something and become GOAT

I've seen more often than not, it is posters like you who make problems on boards like this. Your passive-aggressive manner of wording of saying "lol all these lin fans coming in with stats", then adding "I think it's okay to speculate", and then of course adding to the fire "some ppl are already claiming that Lin is going to become MJ's godson or something and become GOAT".

At least the trolls and the haters stick to their mantra, but you're all over the place with how ridiculous the Lin fans are and then saying that it's okay to speculate, and then talking about something that some troll posted about Lin having the potential to become the GOAT. Stop trying to inflame one side or the other, so we can all have entertaining discussions of whatever the subject may be.
DY_nasty
General Manager
And1: 4,946

Post#168 » by DY_nasty » Sat Aug 1, 2015 12:34 am

Again, it wouldn't be a debate if Kemba managed to have a single season where he looked like the unquestioned starter start to finish. Its Kemba's fault the door is open.
BlackOutBuzz
Hornets Forum Capologist
And1: 2,970

Post#169 » by BlackOutBuzz » Sat Aug 1, 2015 12:53 am

Eh, I'd say he was unquestioned every year aside from his rookie year. Sessions/Ridnour/Roberts eras definitely, which covers 2.5 years. That last 0.5 being when he got injured and never truly recovered, and that's debatable. Mo looked good when Kemba was out but they both sucked later, and at least Kemba had the injury excuse.
TikiJJ
Ballboy

Post#170 » by TikiJJ » Sat Aug 1, 2015 12:54 am

DY_nasty wrote:Again, it wouldn't be a debate if Kemba managed to have a single season where he looked like the unquestioned starter start to finish. Its Kemba's fault the door is open.

I haven't posted on other threads, because I might have caught two or three Hornets game last year, so I have very little knowledge of the team. But I've been reading a whole lot of threads and it seemed to me that the opinions on Kemba were very much divided.

Is this like Kemba fans vs Hornets fans or more like that the Hornets fan base is evenly divided on their opinions about him? I only ask because it looks to me that Kemba has some serious die-hard fans much like Lin.
RSCD3_
RealGM
And1: 7,276

Post#171 » by RSCD3_ » Sat Aug 1, 2015 12:57 am

Would rather start lin he's done less with less
I came here to do two things: get lost and slice **** up & I'm all out of directions.

Butler removing rearview mirror in his car as a symbol to never look back

Peja Stojakovic wrote:Jimmy butler, with no regard for human life
BlackOutBuzz
Hornets Forum Capologist
And1: 2,970

Re: Re: The Great Kemba vs Jeremy Lin Debate 

Post#172 » by BlackOutBuzz » Sat Aug 1, 2015 1:00 am

TikiJJ wrote:
DY_nasty wrote:Again, it wouldn't be a debate if Kemba managed to have a single season where he looked like the unquestioned starter start to finish. Its Kemba's fault the door is open.

I haven't posted on other threads, because I might have caught two or three Hornets game last year, so I have very little knowledge of the team. But I've been reading a whole lot of threads and it seemed to me that the opinions on Kemba were very much divided.

Is this like Kemba fans vs Hornets fans or more like that the Hornets fan base is evenly divided on their opinions about him? I only ask because it looks to me that Kemba has some serious die-hard fans much like Lin.

I think most of us like Kemba, some just aren't sure if he's a starting PG (I think so). That said there are a cluster of UConn fans here who are Kemba/Lamb homers in the same vein as the Lin crowd.
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#173 » by yosemiteben » Sat Aug 1, 2015 1:03 am

TikiJJ wrote:Is this like Kemba fans vs Hornets fans or more like that the Hornets fan base is evenly divided on their opinions about him? I only ask because it looks to me that Kemba has some serious die-hard fans much like Lin.

At times it can seem like some folks are more invested in Kemba than the team. A decent contingent of folks who post on here never would have been interested in our team if they had not drafted Kemba, but since we did they've been around for a few years. I don't know that I would say it's evenly split or that some of those folks haven't become true ride or die fans though. Kemba's struggles are pretty undeniable, and the debate on here has generally focused on the explanation as to why he's struggled, for which I think there is room for legitimate debate, moreso than really arguing whether his shooting percentages should be accepted as is.
TikiJJ
Ballboy

Re: Re: The Great Kemba vs Jeremy Lin Debate 

Post#174 » by TikiJJ » Sat Aug 1, 2015 1:16 am

BlackOutBuzz wrote:
TikiJJ wrote:

I think most of us like Kemba, some just aren't sure if he's a starting PG (I think so). That said there are a cluster of UConn fans here who are Kemba/Lamb homers in the same vein as the Lin crowd.

Personally, I think Kemba's still too young to label him a bench player. He's still got potential room for growth and having watched Al play in the past, I would have to think it wasn't easy for Kemba to share the court with him 30+ minutes per game. I'm not saying that Al's a bad player, but I don't think his game meshes well with Kemba's.
TikiJJ
Ballboy

Post#175 » by TikiJJ » Sat Aug 1, 2015 1:29 am

yosemiteben wrote:
TikiJJ wrote:Is this like Kemba fans vs Hornets fans or more like that the Hornets fan base is evenly divided on their opinions about him? I only ask because it looks to me that Kemba has some serious die-hard fans much like Lin.

At times it can seem like some folks are more invested in Kemba than the team. A decent contingent of folks who post on here never would have been interested in our team if they had not drafted Kemba, but since we did they've been around for a few years. I don't know that I would say it's evenly split or that some of those folks haven't become true ride or die fans though. Kemba's struggles are pretty undeniable, and the debate on here has generally focused on the explanation as to why he's struggled, for which I think there is room for legitimate debate, moreso than really arguing whether his shooting percentages should be accepted as is.

I'm a Lin fan, but I've been a basketball fan for much longer than he's been an NBA player. I was a huge Knick fan, but in early 2000 I just got fed up with Dolan and I quit on the Knicks. I haven't followed any NBA team in particular for over a decade, but I did catch lots of Rockets and Lakers games for obvious reasons.

I've always enjoyed watching teams like the Spurs and the Hawks that heavily emphasize on team-ball and I hate watching hero-ball. I think Lin could play a key role on the Hornets and if he plays beyond the realistic expectation, I think it'll be a good thing for Kemba too, for it's never a bad thing to have someone push you to be better.

I think both guys could potentially play very well in the upcoming season, as long as they're able to get all the new talents involved on the offense, given that the two are point guards after all.
steady
Veteran
And1: 1,351

Post#176 » by steady » Sat Aug 1, 2015 1:40 am

MasterIchiro wrote:
Liver_Pooty wrote:This thread won't provoke anything. Its the game threads that will.

Arguments during game threads should be directed here and this thread can contain the chaos a bit. It's controlled chaos. I find it entertaining. And part of the reason I started it was to get out front and show kemba fans, and kemba loyalists wanted Lin to begin with. A little challenge won't hurt. Lin will eat intO MKGs time but Slam and others want this to be a kemba conflict. MKGs ass is on the line. Lin came here for the combo guard minutes and the more he plays sg the more batum plays SF. But it's all about kemba LMFAO. Bring it Jeremy.

Longtime Hornets fans : Why is the possibility of MKG playing PF never brought up. I could see him in a Draymond Green role in a small ball line up.
Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,044

Post#177 » by Liver_Pooty » Sat Aug 1, 2015 1:51 am

[/quote]
steady wrote:
MasterIchiro wrote:
Liver_Pooty wrote:This thread won't provoke anything. Its the game threads that will.

Arguments during game threads should be directed here and this thread can contain the chaos a bit. It's controlled chaos. I find it entertaining. And part of the reason I started it was to get out front and show kemba fans, and kemba loyalists wanted Lin to begin with. A little challenge won't hurt. Lin will eat intO MKGs time but Slam and others want this to be a kemba conflict. MKGs ass is on the line. Lin came here for the combo guard minutes and the more he plays sg the more batum plays SF. But it's all about kemba LMFAO. Bring it Jeremy.

Longtime Hornets fans : Why is the possibility of MKG playing PF never brought up. I could see him in a Draymond Green role in a small ball line up.

He'll play some 4 this year, but he's rail thin, at least in the upper body he is, and somewhat injury prone.
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#178 » by yosemiteben » Sat Aug 1, 2015 1:52 am

steady wrote:Longtime Hornets fans : Why is the possibility of MKG playing PF never brought up. I could see him in a Draymond Green role in a small ball line up.

Well the individual that you are quoting is one who has consistently wanted us to move MKG out of the starting lineup and really off the team. I think the general concern though has been that MKG has a hard time staying healthy as it is, so the prospect of him also spending much time banging in the post is a little scary.

This offseason our coach actually specifically talked about using MKG at PF.

Kaminsky is probably best suited as a stretch four, but may be versatile enough to play center. Clifford said that could allow the Hornets to play a similar small ball style comparative to Golden State, pairing the rookie with Michael Kidd-Gilchrist at power forward and Batum at small forward at times.
catch20two
RealGM
And1: 4,666

Post#179 » by catch20two » Sat Aug 1, 2015 2:06 am

If we're not sure if Kemba is a starting PG then I'm 100% positively sure that Lin is just a backup.
They will wage war against the Lamb but the Lamb will triumph them because he is Lord of lords and King of kings - and with him will be his called, chosen and faithful followers." Revelation 17:14 (NIV)
steady
Veteran
And1: 1,351

Post#180 » by steady » Sat Aug 1, 2015 3:09 am

yosemiteben wrote:
steady wrote:Longtime Hornets fans : Why is the possibility of MKG playing PF never brought up. I could see him in a Draymond Green role in a small ball line up.

Well the individual that you are quoting is one who has consistently wanted us to move MKG out of the starting lineup and really off the team. I think the general concern though has been that MKG has a hard time staying healthy as it is, so the prospect of him also spending much time banging in the post is a little scary.

This offseason our coach actually specifically talked about using MKG at PF.

Kaminsky is probably best suited as a stretch four, but may be versatile enough to play center. Clifford said that could allow the Hornets to play a similar small ball style comparative to Golden State, pairing the rookie with Michael Kidd-Gilchrist at power forward and Batum at small forward at times.

Thanks guys. I appreciate the responses

Return to Charlotte Hornets