ImageImage

Lowe Piece on the Hornets

Moderators: JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben, BigSlam

LofJ
RealGM
And1: 10,519

Re: Lowe Piece on the Hornets 

Post#221 » by LofJ » Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:24 pm

I am starting to get really excited about this coming season. We added a metric ton of shooting and passing to the team. The difference between our offense last year and this year is going to be night and day. Clifford won't be able to stop this train.

Kaminsky - He's a 7 footer than can handle the ball, shoot, and he has great court vision
Hawes - Like McRoberts he is deadly at the top of the key with his ability to shoot and his excellent court vision
Lin - He's smart, he makes highlight reel passes and he has a proven ability to play off the ball
Batum - He's one of the better playmaking wings in the NBA who can also shoot and play defense

Lamb doesn't have the court vision of the guys above, but he is a willing passer and he can handle the ball and shoot. If MKG can stay healthy and Clifford can get everyone on board with our defensive system we are going to be a tough team to beat this year.
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,618

Post#222 » by fatlever » Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:45 pm

At least that clown Sheridan likes our offseason

CHARLOTTE HORNETS: Here’s all you need to know about the Hornets, Part I and Part II. The first part: There are 29 NBA teams not named the Portland Trail Blazers, and every single one of them wanted to get their hands on Nicolas Batum for the past half-decade. Michael Jordan hired a guy named Rich Cho, who got it done at the price of Gerald Henderson and Noah Vonleh while also earning the Sloan Kettering Award for trading Lance Stephenson and the No-Brainer Executive of the Year Award for signing FAs Jeremy Lin, Tyler Hansbrough, Aaron Harrison (undrafted) and Spencer Hawes, trading for Jeremy Lamb and drafting Frank Kaminsky, who will be in the league for 18 years, says Danny Schayes. Grade: A-Plus Plus.
Read more at http://www.sheridanhoops.com/2015/07/24/sheridan-midsummer-report-cards-for-all-30-nba-teams-southeast-division/#OO1diFP8uK4hYv5c.99
LofJ
RealGM
And1: 10,519

Post#223 » by LofJ » Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:58 pm

fatlever wrote:At least that clown Sheridan likes our offseason

CHARLOTTE HORNETS: Here’s all you need to know about the Hornets, Part I and Part II. The first part: There are 29 NBA teams not named the Portland Trail Blazers, and every single one of them wanted to get their hands on Nicolas Batum for the past half-decade. Michael Jordan hired a guy named Rich Cho, who got it done at the price of Gerald Henderson and Noah Vonleh while also earning the Sloan Kettering Award for trading Lance Stephenson and the No-Brainer Executive of the Year Award for signing FAs Jeremy Lin, Tyler Hansbrough, Aaron Harrison (undrafted) and Spencer Hawes, trading for Jeremy Lamb and drafting Frank Kaminsky, who will be in the league for 18 years, says Danny Schayes. Grade: A-Plus Plus.
Read more at http://www.sheridanhoops.com/2015/07/24/sheridan-midsummer-report-cards-for-all-30-nba-teams-southeast-division/#OO1diFP8uK4hYv5c.99

Which one of you had this comment below the article? :lol:

Tyler Hansbrough is a phoenix, a contagion. As he fights so do his teams fight. As he ascends so do his teams soar. He took University of North Carolina to a national championship on his wings. When he arrived in Indiana his grit and scrappiness elevated his teammate’s play to new heights. They rose to conference finalists. Upon arrival in Toronto his toughness and heart and soul made winners of the Raptors by introducing a selfless team work ethic. He bought in and Toronto won their division for 2 years running. What is unseen in the stats is his will to work, fight and win which is immeasurable. He elevated all those around him while at the same time some teammates would not even pass him the ball. His numbers suffered as the coaching tried to extinguish his contributions and minimize his impact by playing him very little or out of position at center. I have been watching him and I can tell you it is still a thrill to see him on the court and literally on the floor giving his all and getting his team and the crowd into it. I can expect a resurgence and new rising of this phoenix “Tenacious T”. Wait and see. Welcome home Tyler.
Flip Murray
Hornets Forum Spelling Bee
And1: 1,987

Post#224 » by Flip Murray » Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:04 pm

LofJ wrote:

Which one of you had this comment below the article? :lol:

Tyler Hansbrough is a phoenix, a contagion. As he fights so do his teams fight. As he ascends so do his teams soar. He took University of North Carolina to a national championship on his wings. When he arrived in Indiana his grit and scrappiness elevated his teammate’s play to new heights. They rose to conference finalists. Upon arrival in Toronto his toughness and heart and soul made winners of the Raptors by introducing a selfless team work ethic. He bought in and Toronto won their division for 2 years running. What is unseen in the stats is his will to work, fight and win which is immeasurable. He elevated all those around him while at the same time some teammates would not even pass him the ball. His numbers suffered as the coaching tried to extinguish his contributions and minimize his impact by playing him very little or out of position at center. I have been watching him and I can tell you it is still a thrill to see him on the court and literally on the floor giving his all and getting his team and the crowd into it. I can expect a resurgence and new rising of this phoenix “Tenacious T”. Wait and see. Welcome home Tyler.

that's one of the funniest things i've read
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,618

Post#225 » by fatlever » Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:08 pm

Contagion - The Tyler Hansbrough Thread.
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,649

Post#226 » by yosemiteben » Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:13 pm

"Tenacious T" - I like that a lot
RollingWave
Sixth Man
And1: 727

Post#227 » by RollingWave » Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:19 am

fatlever wrote:Contagion - The Tyler Hansbrough Thread.

He does look like he belongs in a zombie movie
The river of time wash away all heroes
They_Them_Hatin
Sixth Man
And1: 548

Post#228 » by They_Them_Hatin » Sat Aug 1, 2015 2:55 pm

What I got out of this interview:

The Polk person needs to be fired and hopefully we don't have any other people like him in our front office .

The Nets pick was definitely 2018 and the other pick was Minnesota's which will end up being 2 2nds. As much as I would love to watch Oubre, Boston could go somewhere with that weak package.

I still think Doug/MKG would have been a great duo . Chicago will probably dump him to save money in a year or two so I hope we scoop him up like we did Lamb.

I still hope the entire front office including Cho and our scouting department and of course Clifford gets fired next off season and we do a proper rebuild .

Someone gave a description of MJ's brother's job which doesn't seem like something to get upset over.
Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,053

Post#229 » by Liver_Pooty » Sat Aug 1, 2015 5:05 pm

There is a better chance of Jordan murdering his own children than him firing Curtis Polk.
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
therebirth
Bench Warmer
And1: 61

Post#230 » by therebirth » Sun Aug 2, 2015 2:39 am

Yeah, people that think Polk should be fired clearly don't understand. This man is Jordan's right, left and middle hand man. He votes and controls the team in Jordan's absence. He is mj's closest confidant
The curse of Higgins!
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,538

Post#231 » by HornetJail » Sun Aug 2, 2015 7:02 pm

Sheridan likes what we did? Yeah, we're boned.
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
therebirth
Bench Warmer

Post#232 » by therebirth » Mon Aug 3, 2015 3:20 am

Lowe liked what we did last year and especially liked the lance signing and look at what happened. One more thing, Lowe can kiss any acess he has to the FO good bye. There will be no more interviews for him unless cho gets fired and decides to spill the beans
The curse of Higgins!
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 43,104

Post#233 » by JDR720 » Mon Aug 3, 2015 3:36 am

therebirth wrote:Lowe liked what we did last year and especially liked the lance signing and look at what happened. One more thing, Lowe can kiss any acess he has to the FO good bye. There will be no more interviews for him unless cho gets fired and decides to spill the beans

If the FO is mad about this article its their own fault, what else did they expect? a reporter/media guy asks for an interview obviously he is looking to write an article about it. they should watch what they say next time.
Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,053

Post#234 » by Liver_Pooty » Mon Aug 3, 2015 3:51 am

JDR720 wrote:
therebirth wrote:Lowe liked what we did last year and especially liked the lance signing and look at what happened. One more thing, Lowe can kiss any acess he has to the FO good bye. There will be no more interviews for him unless cho gets fired and decides to spill the beans

If the FO is mad about this article its their own fault, what else did they expect? a reporter/media guy asks for an interview obviously he is looking to write an article about it. they should watch what they say next time.

Yeah I agree. Lowe tried to spin it as positive as he could, but a lot of it still came off kinda bad.
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
therebirth
Bench Warmer

Post#235 » by therebirth » Tue Aug 4, 2015 4:57 am

Liver_Pooty wrote:
JDR720 wrote:

Yeah I agree. Lowe tried to spin it as positive as he could, but a lot of it still came off kinda bad.

The tone of that article was anything but positive towards the organization. It was positive towards cho and his people though.
The curse of Higgins!
Vanderbilt_Grad
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,771

Post#236 » by Vanderbilt_Grad » Tue Aug 4, 2015 9:42 am

I think that the article did a good job reflecting some of the arguments we have here. There are arguments that signing Al was a mistake, that we pulled out of rebuild mode one year too early, that the roster we had seemed poorly assembled, that the trades we made this summer were risky, and that we seem to be on a very different course than we were a few months ago.

Honestly I don't think that Lowe makes the Hornets look bad in his writing, he expresses something between confusion and concern, layered with skepticism that the current moves will work out well in the long run. That's a fair take. He did expose division and nepotism but those were all matters that were highlighted by Polk speaking on the record. Was Lowe supposed to tip toe around them? Honestly what makes the hornets look the worst are the direct Polk quotes. Those were going to sound bad no matter how Lowe framed them.
My picks:
2020 Draft (3rd pick) - Tyrese Haliburton, Devin Vassell, or Onyeka Okongwu
2021 Draft (11th pick) - Moses Moody
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,649

Post#237 » by yosemiteben » Tue Aug 4, 2015 12:23 pm

Vanderbilt_Grad wrote:Honestly what makes the hornets look the worst are the direct Polk quotes. Those were going to sound bad no matter how Lowe framed them.

Completely agree.
Snidely FC
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,141

Post#238 » by Snidely FC » Tue Aug 4, 2015 1:15 pm

yosemiteben wrote:
Vanderbilt_Grad wrote:Honestly what makes the hornets look the worst are the direct Polk quotes. Those were going to sound bad no matter how Lowe framed them.

Completely agree.

For those of you curious as to why Polk holds such sway with MJ, here from the Hornets site is the Polk bio:
CURTIS POLK
Vice Chairman & Alternate Governor

Curtis Polk is the Vice Chairman of Hornets Sports & Entertainment. In addition, he manages the financial and business affairs of Michael Jordan and his related companies. Prior to working exclusively for Jordan in 2001, he was an Executive Vice President of SFX Sports and was President of its related financial services affiliate SFX Financial Advisory Management Enterprises. He founded Falk Associates Management Enterprises (FAME) with David Falk in 1992.

In May 1998, FAME merged with SFX Entertainment, the country’s leading producer, promoter and presenter of live entertainment events. Polk was involved in the integration and consolidation of all the sports properties under the SFX Entertainment umbrella into a single business entity.

During the summer of 1996, Polk negotiated four of the five highest contracts in NBA history. He negotiated Alonzo Mourning’s $105 million contract with the Miami Heat and Dikembe Mutombo’s $56 million contract with the Atlanta Hawks. Polk was the key player in asserting Juwan Howard’s rights during the contract dispute between the NBA and the Miami Heat; he subsequently negotiated Howard’s $105 million deal with the Washington Bullets. He assisted David Falk in negotiating Jordan’s record-setting contracts in 1996 and 1997.

Polk served as Co-Producer of Space Jam, starring Jordan and the Looney Tunes. Space Jam, Warner Bros. first full-length film featuring the Looney Tunes, grossed a record-setting $29.3 million during its opening weekend. Polk also was an Executive Producer of Michael Jordan to the Max, an IMAX format movie released in May 2000.

A 1981 graduate of the University of Maryland, Polk earned his law degree at the National Law Center at George Washington University in 1988 and served on the Center’s Law Review. Polk was named to the Sporting News’ “100 Most Powerful People in Sports” list in 1997 and 1998. He was also selected to the Sports Business Journal’s “40 Under 40” in 1999.

The 54-year-old Polk began his career as a Certified Public Accountant for Touche Ross and Co. in Washington, DC in 1983.
predators
Senior
And1: 319

Post#239 » by predators » Tue Aug 4, 2015 1:37 pm

Did anyone disagree with anything Polk said in the article? Star FA's almost never leave their teams. (Lance\Al weren't star FAs) Charlotte's best bet to being good is through the draft. The fact that we suck at drafting is the reason we are the worst active Basketball Franchise (not including the original Hornets) in the NBA.

*The thing about the FO not having a contingency plan to pick in the Teens made them sound bush league though.
DY_nasty
General Manager
And1: 4,946

Post#240 » by DY_nasty » Tue Aug 4, 2015 2:39 pm

I lost respect for Lowe when he was pulling stuff out of his *** regarding Biyombo's age a few months back. Hard to trust anyone as a journalist when they do stuff like that

Return to Charlotte Hornets