ImageImage

Baseless Speculation - Elliot Williams Signing...Trade or Camp Competition?

Moderators: JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben, BigSlam

What is the current plan for Elliot Williams?

Make a trade that opens up a roster spot for him.
13%
Keep whoever emerges in training camp as the better prospect between Williams and Harrison.
88%

Total votes: 8

yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,649

Post#1 » by yosemiteben » Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:11 pm

Make your prediction...do we make a trade and keep EWill and Harrison coming out of training camp, or do we let them duke it out at camp and keep whoever looks the best?
vorbis
Veteran
And1: 671

Re: Baseless Speculation - Elliot Williams Signing...Trade or Camp Competition? 

Post#2 » by vorbis » Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:30 pm

i'd honestly say a combination of both
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,618

Post#3 » by fatlever » Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:48 pm

I wish we could do a 2-for-1 and trade both Marvin and PJ for a legit backup small forward. Then we can keep both Williams and Harrison (in suits at the end of the bench).
mrknowitall215
RealGM
And1: 2,384

Post#4 » by mrknowitall215 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:48 pm

Depends on the particulars of Elliot Williams' contract. If William's contract is at least partially guaranteed then I believe that Cho may be working on a trade that may involve anyone from Zeller, (Marvin) Williams, Hairston, Roberts, or Daniels. If that alleged trade doesn't happen then Williams' will be released

If Williams' contract is not guaranteed then I believe he's just camp competition with less than a 3% chance to make the team
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,538

Post#5 » by HornetJail » Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:32 am

Just like Hansbrough, I don't see E-Will's signing to move the needle in any trade. I would be cool with any decent shooting wing or defensive big that Marvin/Roberts/PJ/2nds would net us.
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
BlackOutBuzz
Hornets Forum Capologist
And1: 2,970

Post#6 » by BlackOutBuzz » Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:37 pm

We have 9 guards right now. I don't know if it'll be by trade/cuts/whatever, but I see that number dropping by 2 or more.
Mystical Apples
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,349

Post#7 » by Mystical Apples » Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:13 pm

Almost 100% both Williams and Harrison are cut.

But since this is a baseless speculation thread, I'm going to speculate one will make the team which will lead to a significant trade involving Hawes, Marvin, and Kemba
geometry
InProblematique
Sophomore
And1: 48

Post#8 » by InProblematique » Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:17 pm

If anyone is traded to clear room for Williams, I think it'd probably be Hairston. Not Harrison.

I'd love to keep Williams around this time. He's a monster in D-League and looks like he can be a pretty solid player two-way role player in the NBA. I'd definitely rather watch him play than Hairston, tbh.
BlackOutBuzz
Hornets Forum Capologist

Post#9 » by BlackOutBuzz » Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:22 pm

Plowright seems to think the Hornets will dump Roberts for a 2nd or TPE. Kinda goes along with what I was saying, but I asked if that was sourced or conjecture and he just said "bit of both." So...
RollingWave
Sixth Man
And1: 727

Post#10 » by RollingWave » Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:47 am

it's probably Roberts or PJ Hariston that's on the hot seat.
The river of time wash away all heroes
Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,053

Post#11 » by Liver_Pooty » Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:45 am

RollingWave wrote:it's probably Roberts or PJ Hariston that's on the hot seat.

I agree.
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,053

Post#12 » by Liver_Pooty » Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:46 am

BlackOutBuzz wrote:Plowright seems to think the Hornets will dump Roberts for a 2nd or TPE. Kinda goes along with what I was saying, but I asked if that was sourced or conjecture and he just said "bit of both." So...

Lol. That's Bonnell type stuff right there.
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,649

Post#13 » by yosemiteben » Tue Aug 4, 2015 1:01 am

@EricPincus
Elliot Williams recieved an $80k guarantee for the 15/16 season w/ Charlotte Hornets http://t.co/VsqiJJO5bf

Looks like EWill's contract numbers, if he isn't cut and plays the whole season, are actually higher than what we offered Harrison. Interesting.
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,538

Post#14 » by HornetJail » Tue Aug 4, 2015 2:11 am

yosemiteben wrote:@EricPincus
Elliot Williams recieved an $80k guarantee for the 15/16 season w/ Charlotte Hornets http://t.co/VsqiJJO5bf

Looks like EWill's contract numbers, if he isn't cut and plays the whole season, are actually higher than what we offered Harrison. Interesting.

Harrison is a rookie, meaning his minimum salary is way lower than Williams, who has actually been under some kind of contract every year and is technically in his 6th year.

By this chart, if we offered Harrison a rookie minimum deal, he would make $525k this year if not waived. Williams will be making roughly $1.1M if not waived, though only $947k of it will actually count against our cap.
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
BlackOutBuzz
Hornets Forum Capologist

Re: Re: Baseless Speculation - Elliot Williams Signing...Trade or Camp Competition? 

Post#15 » by BlackOutBuzz » Tue Aug 4, 2015 2:25 am

MotorKeepsGoing wrote:
yosemiteben wrote:@EricPincus

Harrison is a rookie, meaning his minimum salary is way lower than Williams, who has actually been under some kind of contract every year and is technically in his 6th year.

By this chart, if we offered Harrison a rookie minimum deal, he would make $525k this year if not waived. Williams will be making roughly $1.1M if not waived, though only $947k of it will actually count against our cap.

Yep, Williams ($80k) actually has a slightly higher guarantee than Harrison ($75k), but that's less significant when you consider that Williams' minimum contract is more than double Harrison's.

One thing to add, both guys also signed 2-year deals, so Williams is ineligible for the salary reimbursement and cap hit reduction. His cap hit, if kept, will be $1.1m.

Hansbrough's 1-year deal qualifies though. He'll make $1.2m, but the league will reimburse about $250k of it, leaving a $947k cap hit.

Return to Charlotte Hornets