ImageImage

GT: Hornets vs Bulls Mon Feb 8 7PM EST

Moderators: JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben, BigSlam

catch20two
RealGM
And1: 4,666

Re: GT: Hornets vs Bulls Mon Feb 8 7PM EST 

Post#121 » by catch20two » Tue Feb 9, 2016 4:58 am

ball teacher wrote:.500 and haven't played with our starting 5 all season going into the break. There is a lot to be optimistic about. Kemba playing the best ball of his career, Cliff coaching better, Al returning soon. The second half of the season should be interesting.

Don't forget MKG's back and he's better.
They will wage war against the Lamb but the Lamb will triumph them because he is Lord of lords and King of kings - and with him will be his called, chosen and faithful followers." Revelation 17:14 (NIV)
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,618

Post#122 » by fatlever » Tue Feb 9, 2016 4:58 am

Best game Kemba has had in a few weeks. He was having his way with their defense in the 2nd half and he was doing a good job of getting others shots after he got past their first line of defense.

MKG hit 4 shots tonight that he would never have hit in previous seasons - the two post up fadeaways, the runner to the left off the glass, and the 3pter. But he missed a dunk. What is happening.

I wonder if there were Vegas odds on MKG and Zeller hitting a 3 in the same game. Greatest prop bet ever. 1,000,000:1.

Batum with two straight great games, the toe must be feeling better.

What the hell is going on with the bench lately? These guys need to figure it out. (no need to respond to this question. We don't need another 20 posts about what is wrong with the bench)

Watching Chicago get their doors blown off makes it all the more impressive that we were able to actually win some games in January when we were down MKG, Batum, Jefferson, Zeller, Lamb and Lin with a bad foot.
catch20two
RealGM
And1: 4,666

Post#123 » by catch20two » Tue Feb 9, 2016 5:00 am

baiting. Just stop.
They will wage war against the Lamb but the Lamb will triumph them because he is Lord of lords and King of kings - and with him will be his called, chosen and faithful followers." Revelation 17:14 (NIV)
TinmanZBoy
Head Coach
And1: 4,720

Post#124 » by TinmanZBoy » Tue Feb 9, 2016 5:09 am

fatlever wrote:Best game Kemba has had in a few weeks. He was having his way with their defense in the 2nd half and he was doing a good job of getting others shots after he got past their first line of defense.

MKG hit 4 shots tonight that he would never have hit in previous seasons - the two post up fadeaways, the runner to the left off the glass, and the 3pter. But he missed a dunk. What is happening.

I wonder if there were Vegas odds on MKG and Zeller hitting a 3 in the same game. Greatest prop bet ever. 1,000,000:1.

What the hell is going on with the bench lately? These guys need to figure it out. (no need to respond to this question. We don't need another 20 posts about what is wrong with the bench)

Watching Chicago get their doors blown off makes it all the more impressive that we were able to actually win some games in January when we were down MKG, Batum, Jefferson, Zeller, Lamb and Lin with a bad foot.

i thought he always has those
Hi Clutchie, I love you... :kiss
Flip Murray
Hornets Forum Spelling Bee
And1: 1,987

Post#125 » by Flip Murray » Tue Feb 9, 2016 5:13 am

Can't believe MKG and Zeller both hit threes tonight. A true double rainbow

We should be winning this game as shorthanded as the Bulls were and we took care of business. That's what I like to see
bws94
Head Coach
And1: 1,222

Post#126 » by bws94 » Tue Feb 9, 2016 5:13 am

Big comeback game for MKG. Energy was back. I agree with Kemba's game, excellent. Some not so great Kemba moments but mostly good team play and individual play. Batum good, too many minutes. Like fats said, bench isn't right. Hope Wednesday is a W and it's no more below .500 from here on in.
Flip Murray
Hornets Forum Spelling Bee
And1: 1,987

Post#127 » by Flip Murray » Tue Feb 9, 2016 5:18 am

BigSlam wrote:Tough night to dial out the Hammers tonight.

In a good way.

Could very easily spilt them amongst the three guys.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

We've definitely had the same problem in the opposite way several times this year
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets

Post#128 » by fatlever » Tue Feb 9, 2016 5:21 am

TinmanZBoy wrote:
fatlever wrote:Best game Kemba has had in a few weeks. He was having his way with their defense in the 2nd half and he was doing a good job of getting others shots after he got past their first line of defense.

i thought he always has those

No, definitely not. MKG has never had a back-to-the-basket post up game in the pros. Back when he had the awful hitch in his shot and shot it so low, he would have gotten that shot shoved back in his face (which happened many times). MKG has scored 95% of his NBA points on dunks, layups, put backs, catch and shoot mid-range jumpers and the occasional one-dribble pull up mid-range jumper and of course FTs.
TTNN
Junior
And1: 168

Post#129 » by TTNN » Tue Feb 9, 2016 5:38 am

TinmanZBoy wrote:Ok, let's break down how the bench unit performed
the first half, they did a pretty good job, when Lin came in the lead was 11 points, when he left (the end of bench unit), the lead was 20 points, so the bench brought it...you can't say the bench did not perform well...
the second half, they led 22 points into the 4th quarter. Nic, Lin, lamb, Frank, Hawes
1, offense, Lin no look pass to Hawes, mis-communication, TO bad offense,
2, defense, McBucket iso lin, hit a tough jumper.... 2 points.. good defense,
3, offense, Lin missed a wide open three jumper... good offense
4, defense, Frank could not close out on Portis, basically gave him an open 3, he hit it... ok defense,
5, offense, Nic missed a leaning three... ok offense
6, defense, good d, brooks missed a layup good defense
7, offense, Lamb going one on three on the left block, missed a jumper ...should pass the ball, bad offense
8, defense, McBucket fast break, Lamb did not run back, frank and spencer weak defend too, let him get an and1 bad defense
9, offense, Nic push off, TO back offense
10, defense, good d, lin blocked brooks good defense
11, offense, Frank missed a three... ok offense
12, defense, barstow missed a tough one good defense
13, offense, spencer hit a jumper good offense
14, defense, snell miss a tough three good defense
15, offense, spencer bounce pass to lamb, TO bad offense
16, defense, force bairstow take a three good defense
17, offense, lin hit a lay up, waived off, spencer offensive foul good offense
18, defense, bairstow got a layup, bad PnR defense from Nic and Spencer... bad defense
19, offense, Frank got fouled on a freethrow line jumper.... ok offense
during 5 minutes period, bulls got a 10-3 run, cut the lead to 15 points.....
the bench's night is over....
over all, i think the bench performed fine, all in the plus except Frank got a minus 2....the game has ebb and flows... they could not stretch the lead, however I think they defended well down the stretch... some silly TOs, Nic did not help either...

Before the bench force 1 used to played with Marvin and Batum in the line up or PJ sometime, I'm not sure, but maybe coach should try to play MKG with the second unit a bit more than Batum. Second team is a bit too strong with offense, but a bit less defensive there.

Hope to see coach someday will mix up the line up a little bit, play Kaminsky with the starters and try to play Marvin and MKG with the second team. And let the second team run a little bit.

However, with AI coming back, that will change again, so might not worth to bother.....
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets

Post#130 » by fatlever » Tue Feb 9, 2016 5:50 am

TTNN wrote:
Before the bench force 1 used to played with Marvin and Batum in the line up or PJ sometime, I'm not sure, but maybe coach should try to play MKG with the second unit a bit more than Batum. Second team is a bit too strong with offense, but a bit less defensive there.

I posted this in the Lin thread but I'll repost here.

Counter argument against MKG getting more minutes with bench unit. MKG's main role on this team is for defense, not to mesh with a 2nd unit (or to help Lin play better in the 2nd unit). Cliff is not going to waste MKG vs the other team's bench unit. MKG is being saved so that he can guard the best player on the other team. It is very unlikely that you will see MKG getting heavy minutes with the bench unit, unless you have a situation where someone like Lebron/Durant/Melo etc.. is playing with their bench unit.

You don't want to waste MKGs energy or fouls by having him chase around Iman Shumpert and James Jones when he should be saving his legs for Lebron.

Tonight didn't really matter since the Bulls were starting guys like Moore. Normally, if the Bulls were healthy, MKG would play when Butler is playing. When Butler sits, MKG sits. You want MKG on Butler as much as possible. So unless Butler is playing with the bench, forget about playing MKG with our bench.
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets

Post#131 » by fatlever » Tue Feb 9, 2016 5:54 am

Watching the highlights on NBATV, my favorite play was in 4th, Kemba beat his man, got past first line of defense at 100MPH, then threw a bullet to MKG on the left side of the lane, MKG then went under and dunked on other side. That is the perfect play to showcase what Kemba's speed can do to a defense if they don't defend properly (and Kemba doesn't settle for the pull-up jumper).
TTNN
Junior

Post#132 » by TTNN » Tue Feb 9, 2016 6:25 am

fatlever wrote:
TTNN wrote:

I posted this in the Lin thread but I'll repost here.

Counter argument against MKG getting more minutes with bench unit. MKG's main role on this team is for defense, not to mesh with a 2nd unit (or to help Lin play better in the 2nd unit). Cliff is not going to waste MKG vs the other team's bench unit. MKG is being saved so that he can guard the best player on the other team. It is very unlikely that you will see MKG getting heavy minutes with the bench unit, unless you have a situation where someone like Lebron/Durant/Melo etc.. is playing with their bench unit.

You don't want to waste MKGs energy or fouls by having him chase around Iman Shumpert and James Jones when he should be saving his legs for Lebron.

Tonight didn't really matter since the Bulls were starting guys like Moore. Normally, if the Bulls were healthy, MKG would play when Butler is playing. When Butler sits, MKG sits. You want MKG on Butler as much as possible. So unless Butler is playing with the bench, forget about playing MKG with our bench.

Really don't get why the team would like to put player into one dimension. You want to use MKG exclusively in defense, and use Batum exclusively in offense, what's wrong with two way player?

Batum had a strong defensive reputation before he came here, but coach don't want him to defend and play PJ along with him. You could see in lots of games, a lot of defensive break down was simply Batum pick up some other player trying to conserve energy and left his guy unguarded. Both PJ and Marvin had been covering up for him, and when he was playing with second unit, he is relying on Lamb and Kaminsky picking up that task. How much you could trust that? With Batum playing 40+ min, he is not going to play much defense. Current second unit have Lin/Lamb/Kaminsky/Hawes all could handle the ball, all could initiate offense, why you need Batum there then? On the other hand, with MKG good at cutting, good at fast break, he would fit way better with second team offensively, as a receiver for the passes.

Wait till AI comes back, and insert back into starting line up, MKG would fit better in that second team even more.

On the other hand, if you want to conserve energy and not play MKG in second team, maybe conserve Batum a little bit too, not to play Batum with the second team, play Marvin then. Batum is a defensive liability in that second team, and currently no one in second team could cover for him.
TinmanZBoy
Head Coach

Post#133 » by TinmanZBoy » Tue Feb 9, 2016 6:29 am

TTNN wrote:
TinmanZBoy wrote:Ok, let's break down how the bench unit performed
the first half, they did a pretty good job, when Lin came in the lead was 11 points, when he left (the end of bench unit), the lead was 20 points, so the bench brought it...you can't say the bench did not perform well...
the second half, they led 22 points into the 4th quarter. Nic, Lin, lamb, Frank, Hawes
1, offense, Lin no look pass to Hawes, mis-communication, TO bad offense,
2, defense, McBucket iso lin, hit a tough jumper.... 2 points.. good defense,
3, offense, Lin missed a wide open three jumper... good offense
4, defense, Frank could not close out on Portis, basically gave him an open 3, he hit it... ok defense,
5, offense, Nic missed a leaning three... ok offense
6, defense, good d, brooks missed a layup good defense
7, offense, Lamb going one on three on the left block, missed a jumper ...should pass the ball, bad offense
8, defense, McBucket fast break, Lamb did not run back, frank and spencer weak defend too, let him get an and1 bad defense
9, offense, Nic push off, TO back offense
10, defense, good d, lin blocked brooks good defense
11, offense, Frank missed a three... ok offense
12, defense, barstow missed a tough one good defense
13, offense, spencer hit a jumper good offense
14, defense, snell miss a tough three good defense
15, offense, spencer bounce pass to lamb, TO bad offense
16, defense, force bairstow take a three good defense
17, offense, lin hit a lay up, waived off, spencer offensive foul good offense
18, defense, bairstow got a layup, bad PnR defense from Nic and Spencer... bad defense
19, offense, Frank got fouled on a freethrow line jumper.... ok offense
during 5 minutes period, bulls got a 10-3 run, cut the lead to 15 points.....
the bench's night is over....

over all, i think the bench performed fine, all in the plus except Frank got a minus 2....the game has ebb and flows... they could not stretch the lead, however I think they defended well down the stretch... some silly TOs, Nic did not help either...

Hope to see coach someday will mix up the line up a little bit, play Kaminsky with the starters and try to play Marvin and MKG with the second team. And let the second team run a little bit.

However, with AI coming back, that will change again, so might not worth to bother.....

they actually defended well, but the offense felt short with silly turnovers... lamb and Frank were a little too anxious on offense, got a couple of lapses on defense.....lin did not shoot well... as a unit they need to talk over, clean up things, they should be fine...
I don't see the problem of the lineup though...
TTNN
Junior

Post#134 » by TTNN » Tue Feb 9, 2016 6:30 am

BTW, we have both Batum and MKG playing at SF, oh, maybe also Marvin, currently all three are starting, and someone will need to play with second team anyway. What I'm saying is that, either MKG or Marvin play with 2nd team will be better than Batum.
bws94
Head Coach

Post#135 » by bws94 » Tue Feb 9, 2016 6:41 am

TTNN wrote:BTW, we have both Batum and MKG playing at SF, oh, maybe also Marvin, currently all three are starting, and someone will need to play with second team anyway. What I'm saying is that, either MKG or Marvin play with 2nd team will be better than Batum.

I like Marvin in the second team. He has a nice 3 pt shot, excellent defense and hustle, rebounds, plays well with Lin. I understand Clifford likes the 2 facilitator lineup but maybe for now, Batum is best not into it until the guys get their feel back. And as fats said, sometimes a starter will be placed in when the 2nd team is on the floor, and if it is a guy that MKG can cover well, MKG may very well be used (say Butler if he wasn't injured and played when the 2nd unit was on, or Anthony on the Knicks, or Kawai on the Spurs).
TinmanZBoy
Head Coach

Post#136 » by TinmanZBoy » Tue Feb 9, 2016 6:45 am

TTNN wrote:BTW, we have both Batum and MKG playing at SF, oh, maybe also Marvin, currently all three are starting, and someone will need to play with second team anyway. What I'm saying is that, either MKG or Marvin play with 2nd team will be better than Batum.

coach's system is always to have two playmakers in any lineup... Lamb can do a little playmaking, but it is not his strength...
i can see coach take out either Frank or Hawes and put Marvin or MKG in, but I don't see coach take out Nic or Kemba from the second unit...
Nic is an above average defensive player, i don't think coach will excuse him on defense because he has to shoulder more on offense, he has to defend, i am pretty sure coach would be on him if he was slacking on defense... when MKG was injured, coach wanted PJ to take on the other team's best wing in the first three quarters to save Nic's energy, Nic will take on the other team's best wing down the stretch 4th quarter... heck, you rarely see PJ played in 4th anyway...
bws94
Head Coach

Post#137 » by bws94 » Tue Feb 9, 2016 6:50 am

@tinmanzboy, yes Frank and Lamb look anxious now. Maybe not just letting their natural game come to them and going with the flow but forcing the issue. And Frank, Lam and Lin couldn't get their perimeter game going. Lamb had 1 3-pointer but he ended up 1-5, Lin 1-7 and Frank 0-3. All of these key guys struggled to make shots.
TinmanZBoy
Head Coach

Post#138 » by TinmanZBoy » Tue Feb 9, 2016 7:02 am

bws94 wrote:@tinmanzboy, yes Frank and Lamb look anxious now. Maybe not just letting their natural game come to them and going with the flow but forcing the issue. And Frank, Lam and Lin couldn't get their perimeter game going. Lamb had 1 3-pointer but he ended up 1-5, Lin 1-7 and Frank 0-3. All of these key guys struggled to make shots.

it happens, it's a long season... the thing is they need to talk over to clean things up...
the play like Lamb went for 1 on 3 on one side should never happen if you are a smart discipline player (well, except you are kobe), not only he missed the shot, he did not run back for transition d on Mcbucket, gave up an easy layup on the other end....coach absolutely would not allow that happen....
you can live with some threes they took, although arguably there might be better options ...
Hawes to lamb, lin to Hawes TOs are bad, but those are fine, the longer they play together, they will execute those type of plays better
over all, i think they played fine, coach was a little panicked...
bws94
Head Coach

Post#139 » by bws94 » Tue Feb 9, 2016 7:06 am

Lin's postgame has him saying he has to bring more energy to the 2nd unit and he's played terrible the last 3 games. He said he's the leader and controller of the 2nd unit and if he brings more energy, guaranteed the 2nd unit will play better.

Clifford said bench needs to bring more energy. They didn't have that the last 2 games. Of course he's happy with MKG and the starters, they played great.

So, I think in the next game the bench should play better and I hope it's a W on the road. If this team is to get to the playoffs, all 9 guys are needed to play well on the ROAD with occasional help from B Rob and TD and TH and maybe now PJ is on the rarely played list.
Yit
Junior
And1: 31

Post#140 » by Yit » Tue Feb 9, 2016 7:33 am

Tracking players performance (Game contribution points/their averages):

Playing above their average:
Walker (39/27), Batum (36/23), MKG (24/18), Hawes (18/12)

Playing at their average: NA

Playing below their average:
Lin (6/17), Lamb (5/15), Williams (16/19), Zeller (12/15), Kaminsky (7/12)
Stability is a myth perpetuated by the agents called homeostasis and status quo....

Return to Charlotte Hornets