Cheeze
Junior
And1: 79

Re: RE: Re: 2017 All Star Game Moved From Charlotte 

Post#501 » by Cheeze » Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:25 pm

amcoolio wrote:
Cheeze wrote:
yosemiteben wrote:

Yes, because one of my close friends is trans, female to male, and you would never know. Has facial hair and everything. In fact I didn't know for the longest time. You really want a man who has facial hair forced to use the womens bathroom?

Its absolute lunacy. A child predator/sexual predator is going to find a way in a bathroom regardless of any law. This law protects no one.

I have a Trans friend, too. She goes to the bathroom where she wants and nobody says a word. The Charlotte ordinance was unnecessary, in my view. As for HB2, it's equally harmful to my Transgender friend, because now she is legally bound to go to the ladies' room, where her scraggly beard may be a problem. Thing is, this law, which I think is an unnecessary over-reaction to the unnecessary Charlotte ordinance, is practically unenforceable. She will continue to go to the men's room and no one's going to stop her. I know I won't.

The fact that the ordinance and the law are both terrible doesn't negate the need for decency and protection for children. Unfortunately, those who need a good, credible law are being hurt the most by this stupid, insane battle going on.
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,649

Post#502 » by yosemiteben » Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:28 pm

Cheeze wrote:I don't see much dialogue anymore, only threats and bullying. And I think the issue of Transgender people using the bathroom has been hijacked for political purpose.

Let's start from the beginning though - the city of Charlotte enacted an ordinance specifically to preclude discrimination against transgender folks (it was a lot more than just a "bathroom ordinance," and HB2 is a heck of a lot more than just a bathroom bill). Do you not think that contributed to the LGBT community in terms of identifying issues they care about and addressing them?

You said that the Charlotte ordinance was overreaching because there aren't that many transgender folks. Do you really think the LGBT community would be sympathetic to that argument? That they can't have the sort of protections the Charlotte ordinance was designed to provide because there aren't enough of them, and that seeking to afford them those protections was "waiving a divisive issue in peoples' face?"
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,618

Re: 2017 All Star Game Moved From Charlotte 

Post#503 » by fatlever » Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:30 pm

I'm cool if we drop all talk of the transgender bathroom parts of the bill and focus on the real concerns with the bill. Its just that most of the opposing voices to HB2 only care to mention their kids getting molested in bathrooms in regards to their opposition.
Cheeze
Junior
And1: 79

Post#504 » by Cheeze » Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:40 pm

yosemiteben wrote:
Cheeze wrote:I don't see much dialogue anymore, only threats and bullying. And I think the issue of Transgender people using the bathroom has been hijacked for political purpose.

Let's start from the beginning though - the city of Charlotte enacted an ordinance specifically to preclude discrimination against transgender folks (it was a lot more than just a "bathroom ordinance," and HB2 is a heck of a lot more than just a bathroom bill). Do you not think that contributed to the LGBT community in terms of identifying issues they care about and addressing them?

You said that the Charlotte ordinance was overreaching because there aren't that many transgender folks. Do you really think the LGBT community would be sympathetic to that argument? That they can't have the sort of protections the Charlotte ordinance was designed to provide because there aren't enough of them, and that seeking to afford them those protections was "waiving a divisive issue in peoples' face?"

Of course the LBGT community would care about the ordinance and the bill. It should. But the issue has been hijacked. We've stopped talking about it. I do think the ordinance was unnecessary and an over-reach because I don't believe Transgender folks were being discriminated against. I further believe HB2 was over-reach in attempting to protect the right to decency and safety of a larger group by restricting the rights of a smaller group. It's bad politics all around.
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 43,105

Post#505 » by JDR720 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:59 pm

Read on Twitter
Vanderbilt_Grad
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,771

Post#506 » by Vanderbilt_Grad » Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:10 pm

He looks pretty unhappy.

I've been doing my best to not respond to this thread, but I will say that it's too bad that we have to talk about politics and sports together.
My picks:
2020 Draft (3rd pick) - Tyrese Haliburton, Devin Vassell, or Onyeka Okongwu
2021 Draft (11th pick) - Moses Moody
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets

Post#507 » by fatlever » Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:28 pm

http://collegebasketball.ap.org/article/what-other-states-could-be-problematic-ncaa

A look at 4 other states - Georgia, Tennessee, Mississippi and Texas - that might end up in the same place as NC.
Elden Payton
RealGM
And1: 2,591

Post#508 » by Elden Payton » Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:33 pm

The fact that politics has crept into sports in this manner is disgusting.

No matter the political discourse affecting the State, sports is a completely different entity, which people relate to in escape of day to day living.
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets

Post#509 » by fatlever » Tue Oct 4, 2016 9:15 pm

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/daily-show-no-gays-food-truck_us_57f3b380e4b0703f7590ee42

Watch What Happened When A Food Truck In NC Refused To Serve Gays
This “The Daily Show” segment shows just how insane the state’s HB2 really is.

And, yes, all of this is 100 percent legal, as the North Carolina Justice Center notes.

Q: Can a business refuse to do business with me because of my sexual orientation or gender identity?

A: Yes. HB2 excludes LGBTQ individuals from state anti-discrimination protections in public accommodations. Additionally, there is no federal law that specifically protects persons against discrimination on the basis of sex (including sexual orientation or gender identity) in public accommodations. This means that any private business
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,538

Post#510 » by HornetJail » Wed Oct 5, 2016 12:50 am

fatlever wrote:http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/daily-show-no-gays-food-truck_us_57f3b380e4b0703f7590ee42

Watch What Happened When A Food Truck In NC Refused To Serve Gays
This “The Daily Show” segment shows just how insane the state’s HB2 really is.

And, yes, all of this is 100 percent legal, as the North Carolina Justice Center notes.

Q: Can a business refuse to do business with me because of my sexual orientation or gender identity?

A: Yes. HB2 excludes LGBTQ individuals from state anti-discrimination protections in public accommodations. Additionally, there is no federal law that specifically protects persons against discrimination on the basis of sex (including sexual orientation or gender identity) in public accommodations. This means that any private business

I feel like we just time traveled back to the 1950s
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets

Post#511 » by fatlever » Sat Oct 8, 2016 1:27 am

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/article106745232.html

Charlotte Observer is suing Gov McCrory for falling to honor their request to have access to his e-mails related to HB2 from last spring. Observer filed the request last spring, but has yet to receive the requested e-mails.

On April 5, the Observer requested copies of emails sent or received by McCrory and his staff since Feb. 1 regarding a Charlotte nondiscrimination ordinance that was passed on Feb. 21 and later overturned by HB2 on March 23, according to the suit.

The Observer’s request included, but was not limited to, email exchanges with legislators, administration officials, companies, and Economic Development Partnership of North Carolina staff.

On April 7, Graham Wilson of the governor’s press office acknowledged the request, but the Observer has yet to receive the requested documents.

The suit asks for an immediate hearing on the matter and for an order compelling the governor to make the records available.

“It was no surprise to the governor’s office that his email is a public record,” said Observer Executive Editor Rick Thames. “Given the impact of HB2 on our state, it is appalling that he would ignore the law and continue to withhold that record six months after we requested it.”

Read more here: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/article106745232.html#storylink=cpy
Eoghan
RealGM
And1: 3,293

Post#512 » by Eoghan » Sat Oct 8, 2016 2:49 am

I hope McCrory tells them to do the math and blocks them on twitter.
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 43,105

Post#513 » by JDR720 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:20 pm

Steve Reed ‏@SteveReedAP 1h1 hour ago

NBA commissioner Adam Silver says it's a "high priority" to bring the All-Star game back to Charlotte in 2019.
0 replies 12 retweets 5 likes
spaceballer
Head Coach
And1: 2,707

Post#514 » by spaceballer » Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:47 pm

JDR720 wrote:Steve Reed ‏@SteveReedAP 1h1 hour ago

NBA commissioner Adam Silver says it's a "high priority" to bring the All-Star game back to Charlotte in 2019.
0 replies 12 retweets 5 likes

Silver made the comments during the the unveiling ceremony in Charlotte of one of the three refurbished neighborhood courts.

ESPN carrying the AP article on it.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/17825350/the-nba-hb2-resolved-make-high-priority-play-2019-all-star-game-charlotte
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets

Post#515 » by fatlever » Wed Nov 9, 2016 2:30 am

Its neck and neck right now between Cooper and McCrory. If Pat wins, I don't see any way the ASG comes to Charlotte in 2019. And if that hold true, how many of you think MJ and the Hornets start looking for a way to move the team? I really truly believe its a possibility.
Flip Murray
Hornets Forum Spelling Bee
And1: 1,987

Post#516 » by Flip Murray » Wed Nov 9, 2016 3:12 am

fatlever wrote:Its neck and neck right now between Cooper and McCrory. If Pat wins, I don't see any way the ASG comes to Charlotte in 2019. And if that hold true, how many of you think MJ and the Hornets start looking for a way to move the team? I really truly believe its a possibility.

Don't care about the all-star game anymore
Robot Rock
Starter
And1: 939

Post#517 » by Robot Rock » Wed Nov 9, 2016 4:49 am

We're gonna lose our team again.
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets

Post#518 » by fatlever » Wed Nov 9, 2016 5:12 am

Roy is leading by 3,000 votes with 12 precincts left to report (out of 2704). This is going down to the wire.
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,649

Post#519 » by yosemiteben » Wed Nov 9, 2016 5:05 pm

Highly doubt they move over the ASG, I think that's a bit of a silly notion.

I also don't know how much Cooper winning would impact the situation, it's more of a token win. It's not like he can unilaterally undo HB2, and I don't think the state congress has changed much. Will mostly depend on the courts to fix it.
SpearNMgicHelmt
Senior
And1: 160

Post#520 » by SpearNMgicHelmt » Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:27 am

The NC Supreme Court flipped to having a Democratic majority.

http://www.newsobserver.com/news/politics-government/election/article113447263.html

Return to Charlotte Hornets