Eoghan
RealGM
And1: 3,293

Re: Around the NBA 9.0 

Post#1461 » by Eoghan » Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:18 pm

Diop wrote:
fatlever wrote:
Read on Twitter

BTW, Hoiberg does have a point about players getting away with carrying the ball. I wish they'd clean it up a bit. Its on my list of pet peeves behind
- moving screens
- players getting shooting fouls when getting fouled, then throwing ball at rim last minute
- flopping
- traveling
- carrying

Travelling has always been my pet hate. I was reminded of your list as they were arguing about Harden sucking the ref into 3 free throws every game by creating contact then launching a shot.

The examples they showed all had a big setting a moving screen and sticking his leg away from his body, had they called the illegal screen there would be no argument over Harden's con.

I'm getting really tired of guys firing threes immediately as they go around the screen just b/c the defender tried to go over the screen and makes contact b/c of it. It's getting to the point where you can risk going under the screen and leaving your man an open three or go over the screen and pray your man doesn't stop suddenly and flail a three pointer to con the refs into getting three FTs. You literally can't touch perimeter players anymore or they'll flop like a fish out of water and draw free throws. It's disgusting how much the officiating benefits the offense over defense now.
catch20two
RealGM
And1: 4,666

Post#1462 » by catch20two » Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:02 pm

That's Batum's specialty.
They will wage war against the Lamb but the Lamb will triumph them because he is Lord of lords and King of kings - and with him will be his called, chosen and faithful followers." Revelation 17:14 (NIV)
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 17,737

Post#1463 » by Diop » Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:44 am

amcoolio wrote:
-Ian- wrote:Gordon Hayward was huge tonight. Oh, what could've been.

Official motto of the Hornets ͭ ͫ

:lol:
The what could've been Hornets

Zeller
A Davis
Hayward
Hood
Kemba
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,532

Post#1464 » by HornetJail » Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:11 pm

Diop wrote:
amcoolio wrote:
-Ian- wrote:Gordon Hayward was huge tonight. Oh, what could've been.

Official motto of the Hornets ͭ ͫ

:lol:
The what could've been Hornets

Zeller
A Davis
Hayward
Hood
Kemba

We could take this a step further and say we drafted Kawhi or Klay instead of Bismack...

Zeller/Davis/Kawhi/Hayward/Kemba.............
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
Fred Williamson
Lead Assistant
And1: 517

Post#1465 » by Fred Williamson » Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:20 pm

how freaking overrated is Bradley Beal?

I rather have Avery Bradley. seriously.
-Ian-
Analyst
And1: 849

Post#1466 » by -Ian- » Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:43 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

I feel bad for CP3.
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#1467 » by Diop » Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:54 pm

Clippers need an Aussie in their team
BatumtheGlue
Starter
And1: 441

Post#1468 » by BatumtheGlue » Mon May 1, 2017 12:25 am

Chris Paul is better than Zeke my ass. I don't feel sorry for him.
Mamut menteng ureh utusku, isen mulang jite penyangku.
Credit to amcoolio for the signature .gif.
SWedd523
RealGM
And1: 5,165

Post#1469 » by SWedd523 » Mon May 1, 2017 1:12 am

-Ian- wrote:I feel bad for CP3.

I don't. Not one bit
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,613

Post#1470 » by fatlever » Mon May 1, 2017 1:17 am

SWedd523 wrote:
-Ian- wrote:I feel bad for CP3.

I don't. Not one bit

Agreed. Screw him.

Zeke > CP
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#1471 » by Diop » Mon May 1, 2017 2:48 am

How over rated did Doc Rivers get for coaching that Boston team? I think Paul Silas could have won a championship with those vets, they coached themselves.
Eoghan
RealGM
And1: 3,293

Post#1472 » by Eoghan » Tue May 2, 2017 12:00 am

CP3 has always been immensely overrated as a "winner." Poster child of a guy that wows the eye testers and the stats nerds but actually is a consistent loser when it counts.
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#1473 » by Diop » Wed May 10, 2017 12:15 pm

love seeing great vet's wind back the clock like Ginobili did. Just awesome
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#1474 » by Diop » Thu May 11, 2017 6:14 am

After following rich jeffersons Snapchat I have a better respect for lebron and how hard he works on his body.
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#1475 » by Diop » Thu May 11, 2017 11:57 am

was stupid enough to join a conversation on the general board about GSW and if they would beat the MJ Bulls.
I mentioned how the Bulls faced versatile offence with Indiana who with Mullen, Reggie, Rose, Jackson and co, who could probably give GSW a run.

Was automatically hit with disbelief and hate. That was a great team, am I totally off?
LamarMatic7
Hornets Forum High-End Journalist
And1: 2,351

Post#1476 » by LamarMatic7 » Thu May 11, 2017 12:12 pm

Diop wrote:was stupid enough to join a conversation on the general board about GSW and if they would beat the MJ Bulls.
I mentioned how the Bulls faced versatile offence with Indiana who with Mullen, Reggie, Rose, Jackson and co, who could probably give GSW a run.

Was automatically hit with disbelief and hate. That was a great team, am I totally off?

Bird did a masterful job with them. Reading his book "Bird Watching" which focuses on his years as a coach allowed me to appreciate his post playing career a lot more.

Golden State's a team for the ages so it's hard to put up anyone against them, however, it's definitely a fair choice. Those Bird teams are basically the only Reggie Miller Pacers squads that got the best out of both worlds. They were probably too bad on offense in the early 90s to seriously contend for a title.

Moreover, you can definitely match the Warriors playing style with those Pacers squads, even with them playing two decades ago. Some funky and long lineups can be created there like:

Jackson/Miller/Rose/Mullin/Antonio Davis

You might have to rely too much on a declining Derrick McKey since none of Miller, Mullin or Rose can be put on Durant, however, they at least won't be run out of town just because some big is stuck on a perimeter player. When the Death Lineup is in, you can put the adept long distance runner in Miller on Klay, the older Mullin can take Iggy and hang around for his signature reads and deflections and that leaves the longer Rose on Durant (though, McKey should get some of these minutes as well).

Given Jackson's age (and actually the whole team's age), him on Curry might be a headache. Perhaps, you could even out-Golden State them and go with Rose/Miller/Mullin/McKey/Davis so Jalen could use his size against Curry. If they try to run him off screens (since Rose wasn't the most attentive defender), you could basically switch everything.

So despite them being in their early 30s, there's actually a surprising lot of versatility there for a late 90s squad.

Rik Smits minutes would have to be lined up exactly with Pachulia's and I'm not certain whether Dale Davis has a place in the series (I guess, you could match him up against McGee so he wouldn't get totally DNP'd).

But, all in all, yeah, you're not totally off. They are one of the better teams ever not to reach the Finals and there are some decent lineup options to go to. Indiana being a slow team would probably help as well. We just saw that it's possible to slow the tempo down against Golden State. While they failed at certain other things, Utah managed the pace quite well.
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#1477 » by Diop » Thu May 11, 2017 2:01 pm

McKey was all nba defensive 2nd team at 29 and was 31 during that Bulls series, while Rose was actually still young at 25 yet to enter his peak. So not necessarily ancient. My favourite Mullen stat for that team was that he was still averaging a team leading 1.2 steals during 25 minutes a game! His body was never fast, but his mind and hands were.

Bird did a great job at playing this team to their strengths. Jackson used to bully all point guards in the post, which caused the NBA to bring in that back to the basket rule and why Chicago played Pippen on him to stop him bullying around Harper. Miller used his awesome endurance and shooting skill to constantly sprint around the court making it a nightmare for the opposition, which is why they got Harper to defend him instead of MJ. So with the headaches that guarding GSW brings, Indiana would bring some as well.

Could Thompson remain as effective offensively when he spends all his energy chasing around Reggie? How would Curry go having Jackson bully him in the post?

Smits is a weird one, he was a 7'4 jump shooting centre. Awkward for any team to defend, while A Davis and Green would be an awesome matchup to watch. Probably shouldn't forget the super quick Travis Best who was one of the better backup point guards at the time and at his peak.

The reason why I brought this team up was someone was saying that Bulls wouldn't know how to defend an offensive team like GSW, I was just trying to point out that Indiana were no slouches. I thought it was funny how easily they have been forgotten about when they pushed the Bulls harder than Utah did that year.

I remember a quote from either Pippen or MJ after the game 7 victory when they hinted that Indiana were the better "team", those 2 had to really pull it out to win. Such beautiful, typical arrogance that you wouldn't hear nowadays.
LamarMatic7
Hornets Forum High-End Journalist
And1: 2,351

Post#1478 » by LamarMatic7 » Thu May 11, 2017 2:07 pm

Moreover, seemingly everyone remembers two breaks that went right Chicago's way that game. There was a jumpball with something like 4 minutes left and the Pacers up by, I don't know, was it 7? Bulls won it and Steve Kerr nailed a 3-pointer which sparked their last comeback. And then there was a stretch of like four turnovers in a row that all of the Pacers still agonize over. I'm not certain whether it followed the Kerr three (looking at the boxscore, it might be during the 2nd quarter where they lost 18-29), but it was a stretch of incompetence that absolutely hurt Indy and certain members of that team remember to this day.

It's one of the so tight series where a game 7 just has to be decided by the ball bouncing the right way (admittedly to Indy's own fault, perhaps). They were both so close to coming out on top.

I'll have to re-watch this one during the summer.
spaceballer
Head Coach
And1: 2,707

Post#1479 » by spaceballer » Thu May 11, 2017 3:08 pm

Diop wrote:After following rich jeffersons Snapchat I have a better respect for lebron and how hard he works on his body.

Not surprising considering Lebron comes from the Miami Heat culture. Here is a piece on the Miami culture and the intense emphasis they put on conditioning. Culture is such an often underrated element and differs from team to team.

http://hoopshype.com/2017/04/27/a-behind-the-scenes-look-at-the-miami-heats-intense-culture/
chellis
Senior
And1: 130

Post#1480 » by chellis » Thu May 11, 2017 4:08 pm

spaceballer wrote:
Diop wrote:After following rich jeffersons Snapchat I have a better respect for lebron and how hard he works on his body.

Not surprising considering Lebron comes from the Miami Heat culture. Here is a piece on the Miami culture and the intense emphasis they put on conditioning. Culture is such an often underrated element and differs from team to team.

http://hoopshype.com/2017/04/27/a-behind-the-scenes-look-at-the-miami-heats-intense-culture/

I remember reading that piece when it was written. It is a fantastic insight into the Heat culture and how they get the best out of their players. We, and many other teams, could learn a lot from this.

Return to Charlotte Hornets